3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

GingerSweetGirl

Engaged Member
Aug 23, 2020
So I was wondering for a while how to get all that awesome micronormal detail the 8.1 brings to the table. To nobody's surprise, rendering at high res is the trick. So, I imitated the camera that I used for the camera settings on the render, a Canon 90D. Problem is, with a 35.2 megapixel resolution in the APS-C sensor, that translates to a 6960x4640 image resolution in a 3x2 aspect ratio.

So I set that for the render target and started the render. About 10h in and it's at 23% of Convergence with a convergence ratio of 99.8%. While this process would result in an amazing image, that if used with the correct settings and good lighting would be as close to a photograph as possible (the quality of the assets would be the limiting factor for a photorealistic result), the render itself would take me about..5 days on a 6700HQ cpu.

So I stopped the render, dropped the image res down to 2560x1707 and did some manual denoising/bluring in photoshop. And while I /will/ do the full render once I'm happy with how it looks, for now I'll leave it at that and attempt to fix the few issues I have. One, is the classic problem with stockings. They float. Another, is that I haven't added the freckles yet (still trying to find a good product that works with 8.1 figures), and lastly, I need to do something with the nails. They look like simple black shapes right now, no surface details on them.

And for those interested, scene is lit with 1 diffuser, 90x90 cm with a 20d hex grid for directionality, set at around 3m away from the model with a 45 degree angle looking down and back to the model's face and a simple 18cm spotlight at the back for some edge definition on her right side. The rest of the light is simply reflected on a very light grey infinity cove that makes up the scene. Both lights are set with emissive surfaces at real world luminance values for the type of light they are. Shutter speed at 125 with 100 ISO and f-stop at 8 with adjusted gamma.

View attachment 1529487

This is the downrezzed image. If someone wants I can upload the render too, but I didn't yet, since the file is about 60mb in size.

Any suggestions on how I can make it better? And I'm not talking about the model itself or the pose, but as far as lighting goes or suggestions about the rendering process to make it more in line with a real photography set. For example, I know in Blender I have the option to change the dynamic range to filmic, which takes it from 8 stops to 25 stops. That would result in a much better image, more realistic and without me having to mess with the gamma of the image. Is there such an option anywhere in iray? Whether baked into Daz or as a plugin?

Eventually in my quest for photorealism (which means exactly what the word says, not what people mean by it colloquially), I will end up rendering the final result in Blender. Most likely with Luxcore too instead of cycles, but I'm a long way away from that yet. I don't even know how to convert the materials from BSDF to whatever Luxcore uses. So until I'm 100% finished with the model and materials in Iray, I'll be sticking to Daz rendering. Then possibly cycles with the use of Diffeomorphic but that's a ways off still.

Fun fact, at the original size I'm rendering at of 4640x6960, the size of it when at 100% is really damn close to a real life size of a person.
Wow, I don't have much to add but as a member of the Small Boobs Club, I think this model is amazing.

Krosos

Engaged Member
Dec 1, 2018
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

atheran

Feb 3, 2020
no seriously, Thank you! I like technical. So I guess two parts of that.

I never heard of TexturingXYZ before. I def check it out. I have been using the textures that come with different models in Daz Store and Renderosity. I have no background in 3d model or rendering, just messing about. Sounds like i need to learn about the UV maps, what PBR in G8.1 is and how it compares to Irayskins in G8. Do u recommend any tutorials or guides to get better with the skin? Or just alot of googleing shit?

I recall learning that Daz's F/Stop in render settings is like a 3rd of what an eye can precieve. I always dial up that setting to 24-25 but then i have to re-adjust the exposure to 13ish so that scene isnt so dark. I wasnt sure if I was negating the effects when doing that. I will def checkout of IDG Tool box.

When you refer to mesh lights, is that a primative object that is emissive or is it something else? I recently did a tutorial on lighting from Daz (killer lighting), the spot light has a number of settings, like lighting Geometry, height, width, etc which help with better defusing and softer shadow edges. Idk if that is comparable to what you were describing.
I can't really go into detail about what UV is and how it's used without derailing the thread here. But imagine your 3d model projected in 2d space so you can texture it. If you open up a character texture from Daz, that weird island shapes you see, are the UVs. For my comment above, I'd need to take those shapes, upres them to whatever resolution I want (say 8k or 16k) and then paint the textures on them. (Or clone from TexturingXYZ provided photoscanned real skin textures.)

It is a lot of googling sadly and following tutorials on YouTube, not a process I can easily explain in a paragraph or two.

As for the lights, you are correct that changing the size and the falloff softens the lighting. But that's not what I'm talking about here. A diffuser is an object that when light passes through it gets diffused in the material, which can be accomplished by a simple plain and specific shader values to simulate the material it's made out of. Besides making the shadows softer, it also has the effect of flattening the image (which a simple size change won't do). And yes, the lights I used are all emmisive meshes, then the light passes through a diffuser. A reflector is a simple either white material with no metallicity and high roughness, or a metallic material with high reflection and low roughness depending on the look you're going for. One will have soft light as a result, the other will be a lot more focused and sharp (or to be more precise, similar to the light you are reflecting with it.)

Lastly, the grids. These are used to focus the lights. But not like lowering the spread, more like..directing the light rays to specific directions/angles. Usually directing it forward without letting it split to the sides..But other effects can be achieved too if you really want to.

As for the plugins, besides the toolbox, also get his lights. Will give you all of the above light modifiers and a couple more too, like a beauty dish or an umbrella. For how to use them and what each does, look for portrait photography tutorials.

Reactions: CyberW01f
5.00 star(s) 12 Votes