3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

CyberW01f

Feb 9, 2018
Here I used the maps provided with Vic 8.1. I think these are 4k but I'm at work right now and can't check. For now, the high resolution render brings out those microdetails like pores or wrinkles under the eye. I am not sure if they exist in the downsample.

But once I am happy with all the rest, I'm going to take the UVs of the model and project skin with micro details from TexturingXYZ. Those can be up to 16k or more depending on which one you buy. Use micronormals for pores etc and for larger details like wrinkles or potential zits etc I plan to use height maps and tessellate them. I am not a fan of the perfectly smooth and spotless Daz skin. For extra realism I'll be making vellus hair in Blender because Daz ones are hot garbage (face ones. For abdomen and back they are good and I use them in this render already).

But if you don't want to go through all this effort, the Daz 4k skin shades are good enough (the 8.1 PBR ones, I don't know how to use Iray uber shader yet).

Also keep in mind that skin is not everything. For this, I went through the spec manual of a D90 and emulated the sensor/prime lens of 85mm in the camera settings too. IGPT is a great plugin that fixes a lot of the issues with Daz camera (like DoF) and it gets you halfway there to simulate a real camera in Daz. Also for the lighting I used proper methods like diffusers, instead of the basic Iray lights and while it adds a lot to the rendering time since light has to scatter through a thin mesh and get diffused properly and THEN pass through a grid to be focused, it adds some more realism to bring it closer to what a studio setup lighting would be.

I hope this answers any questions without going too technical. If not, feel free to ask about any specifics.
no seriously, Thank you! I like technical. So I guess two parts of that.

I never heard of TexturingXYZ before. I def check it out. I have been using the textures that come with different models in Daz Store and Renderosity. I have no background in 3d model or rendering, just messing about. Sounds like i need to learn about the UV maps, what PBR in G8.1 is and how it compares to Irayskins in G8. Do u recommend any tutorials or guides to get better with the skin? Or just alot of googleing shit?

I recall learning that Daz's F/Stop in render settings is like a 3rd of what an eye can precieve. I always dial up that setting to 24-25 but then i have to re-adjust the exposure to 13ish so that scene isnt so dark. I wasnt sure if I was negating the effects when doing that. I will def checkout of IDG Tool box.

When you refer to mesh lights, is that a primative object that is emissive or is it something else? I recently did a tutorial on lighting from Daz (killer lighting), the spot light has a number of settings, like lighting Geometry, height, width, etc which help with better defusing and softer shadow edges. Idk if that is comparable to what you were describing.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

• Love
Reactions: zerofreak and bb888

GingerSweetGirl

Engaged Member
Aug 23, 2020
there you have it...historically accurate :giggle:
View attachment 1530351
I'd lose the earrings. The first thing we learn as little girls is that earrings are a good way to get your ear ripped off you're playing sports. A (sexy) pirate like her wouldn't wear earrings if she's about to knife someone.

Oh, and give the poor girl some straps! It's hard to make someone walk the plank if you're using one hand to hold up your top. ;)

Reactions: Alley_Cat and tdree

GingerSweetGirl

Engaged Member
Aug 23, 2020
So I was wondering for a while how to get all that awesome micronormal detail the 8.1 brings to the table. To nobody's surprise, rendering at high res is the trick. So, I imitated the camera that I used for the camera settings on the render, a Canon 90D. Problem is, with a 35.2 megapixel resolution in the APS-C sensor, that translates to a 6960x4640 image resolution in a 3x2 aspect ratio.

So I set that for the render target and started the render. About 10h in and it's at 23% of Convergence with a convergence ratio of 99.8%. While this process would result in an amazing image, that if used with the correct settings and good lighting would be as close to a photograph as possible (the quality of the assets would be the limiting factor for a photorealistic result), the render itself would take me about..5 days on a 6700HQ cpu.

So I stopped the render, dropped the image res down to 2560x1707 and did some manual denoising/bluring in photoshop. And while I /will/ do the full render once I'm happy with how it looks, for now I'll leave it at that and attempt to fix the few issues I have. One, is the classic problem with stockings. They float. Another, is that I haven't added the freckles yet (still trying to find a good product that works with 8.1 figures), and lastly, I need to do something with the nails. They look like simple black shapes right now, no surface details on them.

And for those interested, scene is lit with 1 diffuser, 90x90 cm with a 20d hex grid for directionality, set at around 3m away from the model with a 45 degree angle looking down and back to the model's face and a simple 18cm spotlight at the back for some edge definition on her right side. The rest of the light is simply reflected on a very light grey infinity cove that makes up the scene. Both lights are set with emissive surfaces at real world luminance values for the type of light they are. Shutter speed at 125 with 100 ISO and f-stop at 8 with adjusted gamma.

View attachment 1529487

This is the downrezzed image. If someone wants I can upload the render too, but I didn't yet, since the file is about 60mb in size.

Any suggestions on how I can make it better? And I'm not talking about the model itself or the pose, but as far as lighting goes or suggestions about the rendering process to make it more in line with a real photography set. For example, I know in Blender I have the option to change the dynamic range to filmic, which takes it from 8 stops to 25 stops. That would result in a much better image, more realistic and without me having to mess with the gamma of the image. Is there such an option anywhere in iray? Whether baked into Daz or as a plugin?

Eventually in my quest for photorealism (which means exactly what the word says, not what people mean by it colloquially), I will end up rendering the final result in Blender. Most likely with Luxcore too instead of cycles, but I'm a long way away from that yet. I don't even know how to convert the materials from BSDF to whatever Luxcore uses. So until I'm 100% finished with the model and materials in Iray, I'll be sticking to Daz rendering. Then possibly cycles with the use of Diffeomorphic but that's a ways off still.

Fun fact, at the original size I'm rendering at of 4640x6960, the size of it when at 100% is really damn close to a real life size of a person.
Wow, I don't have much to add but as a member of the Small Boobs Club, I think this model is amazing.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes