3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

atheran

Feb 3, 2020
So..Remind me NEVER to do that again. Shooting a scene through a mirror is a pain in the ass. Rendering a reflection of a scene, with the lighting working through the reflection as well adds stupid amounts of render time. Especially in a dark scene like this. Especially on a potato 5 year old laptop like I have.

The technical aspect is the same as before, I just changed her pose and position to be in front of the mirror and decided to render the reflection. Don't ask me. Seemed like a good idea at the time. 19h of rendering later and the render is still stupid grainy at 5000 samples (the limit that I had). I COULD render it again at 10k samples but I don't feel like not using my laptop for the next week.

This time is for a polaroid 600. If anyone is interested I could do a breakdown on its setup, but I'm pretty sure nobody cares about those breakdowns. Things I'd change..probably just the dual lobe specular on the skin. It looks weird to me. And NEVER AGAIN rendering the reflection.

Siobhan framed.png

This..is a bit bigger than the film the camera would print. All in all, I think it turned out well, except for the specular. Feedback?

Attached below are the original render and the Lightroom postwork before I sized it down considerably if anyone cares for those.

Siobhan.png Siobhan postwork.png
PS. After that, I'll take some time off. Yesterday I reached 1k likes and..I'd like to post something special for it. But it will require a lot of time and work to set it up. Even researching things I know nothing about, like how to get a character model from Blender into Daz. (I'd normally go for the opposite).

oaiki

Mar 19, 2020
And NEVER AGAIN rendering the reflection.
so, for all the imperfections you find in the polaroid, I actually like this. A question springs to mind though, unless you are going to frame and capture the scene to show the focus is on the reflection not the subject (both of which are in or partialy in frame) why bother?

I can see it being a useul technique

atheran

Feb 3, 2020
so, for all the imperfections you find in the polaroid, I actually like this. A question springs to mind though, unless you are going to frame and capture the scene to show the focus is on the reflection not the subject (both of which are in or partialy in frame) why bother?

I can see it being a useul technique
I bothered because originally it was framed with a bigger frame and showed the wall and the mirror etc. But then...I found out that polaroid 600 has a weird 106mm focal length instead of the 85mm I had originally set it up with. So in order to simulate the camera the best I can, I changed it and it zoomed in. :)

Otherwise, yes. There's no point to it. Other than wasting your time.

oaiki

Mar 19, 2020
Other than wasting your time.
my time wasn't wasted, I learnt things ... I do recall your original post posing the question.

there have been subsequent mirror post; however, I believe you wanted to use DoF with the focus on the distant reflection, not the foreground subject ...

Thank you

Reactions: locq4169

uncleomf

Jul 3, 2021
To uncleomf:

We're spoiled with your art and I can't say Thank You enough. I know I'm a complete stranger, but I'll confess this. My ex wife, there are things I wanted to, well you can say spice up our sex life and she religiously didn't see it that way. She takes convictions seriously and that was that. I love what you do, be safe, stay safe and a Happy New Year (apologized late greetings).

Cheers mate!
Glad you like my renders! Really happy to hear it

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes