3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

Empiric

Throbbing Member
Respected User
Game Developer
Jan 13, 2020
May i know where the tattoo asset is from? This is so amazingly well done.
It's not from one pack, I went through like ten of them and pulled out the tattoos I liked and applied them directly on top of the base skin and translucency textures, rather than as lie presets, so I could manually adjust the tone and opacity and they wouldn't be all over the place.

Balkazzaar

Nov 12, 2019
It's not from one pack, I went through like ten of them and pulled out the tattoos I liked and applied them directly on top of the base skin and translucency textures, rather than as lie presets, so I could manually adjust the tone and opacity and they wouldn't be all over the place.
Goddamn!! thats hard and tedious work man!! No wonder it looks so good!!!

I wish i had that kind of free time on my hands...

Sep 3, 2022
My way is very easy and Gimp 2 is a free program. It's like Discount Photoshop

GIMP is actually pretty damned powerful. Latest versions even handle CRW & NEF files. There is a pretty fair denoiser and sharpen application in GIMP. There is also a highlights and shadows slider very similar to the sliders in LR. The only true limitations with GIMP is nearly all the open resources were lost when the main host for the GIMP plugins closed forever. All the plugins are either gone or spread all over the web. Amyway. I like B&W version best. I disagree about it being grainy. But I agree it may have too much contrast. Just opinions ;)

Balkazzaar

Nov 12, 2019
GIMP is actually pretty damned powerful. Latest versions even handle CRW & NEF files. There is a pretty fair denoiser and sharpen application in GIMP. There is also a highlights and shadows slider very similar to the sliders in LR. The only true limitations with GIMP is nearly all the open resources were lost when the main host for the GIMP plugins closed forever. All the plugins are either gone or spread all over the web. Amyway. I like B&W version best. I disagree about it being grainy. But I agree it may have too much contrast. Just opinions ;)
I love GIMP, but I use GIMP mostly for making opacity maps or editing textures.

I dont know how to explain this correctly and the following applies only to 3d renders made in DAZ i guess, but I find it weird that people go to photo editing tools to touch up/edit 3d renders because the render does not look good enough. Some people like me especially looking at a 3d Render photo would then find it hard to believe that a good render does look good because after rendering it, it was then "touched up" in GIMP/Photoshop.

But i guess the same cannot be said about renders coming from Blender. May be its because Blender has more lighting and more 3D level granular control on everything.

I guess a good render can look great without any GIMP editing if the hardware is very good?

But hey this is just my opinion and no one else has to agree with me. I do not have enough experience in DAZ or Blender to explain more i guess.

Meh1234567890

Mar 22, 2020

I dont know how to explain this correctly and the following applies only to 3d renders made in DAZ i guess, but I find it weird that people go to photo editing tools to touch up/edit 3d renders because the render does not look good enough. Some people like me especially looking at a 3d Render photo would then find it hard to believe that a good render does look good because after rendering it, it was then "touched up" in GIMP/Photoshop.

But i guess the same cannot be said about renders coming from Blender. May be its because Blender has more lighting and more 3D level granular control on everything.

I guess a good render can look great without any GIMP editing if the hardware is very good?

But hey this is just my opinion and no one else has to agree with me. I do not have enough experience in DAZ or Blender to explain more i guess.
I'm just now starting to try and use GIMP to edit out minor imperfections when I make renders in DAZ. I've also started to use some brushes in GIMP to add just a little extra without having to fry my videocard by overloading it with extra geometry and textures. Certainly, with the right setup, lighting, and model placement a render is just fine coming from straight from DAZ, but sometimes just a little bit more is nice. Also after rending an image for 20-30+ minutes, I sometimes find a random black squiggle from the hair geometry that only appears when rendering :mad:

Sep 3, 2022

So when rendering in IRAY the final image will be subject to much of the same things a photo can be. Too bright highlights maybe too dark in the shadows? Also, you can apply things like Ortin glow or you can even 'improve bokeh effects'. All the same reasons you might want to change or improve a photo. I find you can get pretty good results from just setting up the render properly. Like you, most of my work in GIMP with regards to DAZ3d has to do with editing textures (diffuse, occupancy and bump maps) and if I do actually need to adjust highlights or shadows on a finished render, I actually use Lightroom.

Sep 3, 2022
I'm just now starting to try and use GIMP to edit out minor imperfections when I make renders in DAZ. I've also started to use some brushes in GIMP to add just a little extra without having to fry my videocard by overloading it with extra geometry and textures. Certainly, with the right setup, lighting, and model placement a render is just fine coming from straight from DAZ, but sometimes just a little bit more is nice. Also after rending an image for 20-30+ minutes, I sometimes find a random black squiggle from the hair geometry that only appears when rendering :mad:
here's a trick.

Load up the scene or set you want your model to be. Do not load the model. Render the scene from the vantage point you need the camera to be in.... I use DOF. Now you have a background. 2 examples and a test result (noisy but you get the idea) . Now you have a scene complete with light. But you are only actually rendering your model and the prop she is set on. test room 2bokeh.jpg test roombokeh.jpg addy couch test.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Meh1234567890

ArturiousDesign

Engaged Member
Jan 31, 2019
here's a trick.

Load up the scene or set you want your model to be. Do not load the model. Render the scene from the vantage point you need the camera to be in.... I use DOF. Now you have a background. 2 examples and a test result (noisy but you get the idea) . Now you have a scene complete with light. But you are only actually rendering your model and the prop she is set on. View attachment 2200290 View attachment 2200293 View attachment 2200305
problem with this is you don't get the girl's shadow on the background. it just looks layered and not like she's actually in the scene

Sep 3, 2022
problem with this is you don't get the girl's shadow on the background. it just looks layered and not like she's actually in the scene

Oh yes. It can be limited for sure. It's a trick that only works if your model is set on a prop that hides the immediate background. Your shadow is cast on the prop. It depends on your subject dominating the foreground.
There really should be a discussion thread to go along with the dazskillz image thread. I hate to jam up the image thread.

Reactions: ArturiousDesign
5.00 star(s) 12 Votes