3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

Jumbi

Feb 17, 2020
Thank you Jumbi! Soft light is something, right? Allows you to do real magic.
Thank you for the pointer, Geralt. If you had not mentioned that it is soft light at play in those renders, I would not have noticed it probably. You have more experience and knowledge than me. I add that type of lighting to my list of things to try. :D

And once again, very nice renders. Love them. :love:

Hi everyone, I have been working on a visual novel but yesterday I realised the intro isn't interesting so I'm going to remake it. I need to improve my rendering abilities as well and did this test render for the new characters when I remake my game. Can anyone give me any tips for rendering? This took me about 3 hours with 25000 samples which I know is an extremely long time. Should I do less samples for my renders?

One problem with this render is that I'm not using any iray planes. I used 4 before to cutt off everything the camera can't see but for some reason it made the scene extremely bright from the light somehow so I got rid of them. What do I do to fix this?
Also I did this render without any lights because I don't really know which lights are appropriate to be honest. Is just 1 spotlight on the characters good generally or should there be more lights? I'm going to retry rendering with a light and see how it goes this time.

Also just any general tips on how it looks and feedback would be nice :) Thank you!
25,000 samples are a waste for most scenarios, IMHO. With proper lighting, you should be able to render without grain or fireflies with the default 5000 max samples.

As for iRay Section Planes, any ceiling or wall(s) removed by them from your scene are going to make part of the environment light or the whole of it (depending on how many planes you are using and where they are placed), illuminate your scene. That is, of course, if you are using dome only, dome and scene or Sun-Sky only modes. That is very likely why you said there was light bathing your scene when you used those planes. That light was the dome (environment) light.

The light in that render might work just OK. It's not great, but depending on the time of the day and the environment conditions, it might just work. I take it is at night, right? If I got that part right, I'd say that the environment itself looks pretty good. It's the light on the characters that can be improved. Although there are more than one approaches to achieve that, I would probably start by using a well placed spotlight on them. You'll have to set that light up so that its intensity, its color and its other parameters make it blend well within your scene.

Reactions: fameerfuddi

Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022
Thank you for the pointer, Geralt. If you had not mentioned that it is soft light at play in those renders, I would not have noticed it probably. You have more experience and knowledge than me. I add that type of lighting to my list of things to try. :D

And once again, very nice renders. Love them. :love:
Try Render Studio 3 HDRI, i mostly use them for spotlights.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes