3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

Jumbi

Feb 17, 2020
Nice soft Rembrandt lighting. And the cinematic vibe is huge, which I personally love. If you don't mind me asking, do you achieve this effect in postwork or directly in Daz? I read some months ago where you explained the process behind one of your renders, and it certainly contained valuable information. But apart from introducing ShoeLac3's tutorial on the anamorphic process and the bokeh effect and mentioning that it's more 'cinematic' to place the key light on the least visible side of the subject, I don't recall any mention as to how to get the overall film look. Maybe is that an after effect of applying ShoeLac3's vignette to the camera?

Straz3D

Jun 16, 2019
Nice soft Rembrandt lighting. And the cinematic vibe is huge, which I personally love. If you don't mind me asking, do you achieve this effect in postwork or directly in Daz? I read some months ago where you explained the process behind one of your renders, and it certainly contained valuable information. But apart from introducing ShoeLac3's tutorial on the anamorphic process and the bokeh effect and mentioning that it's more 'cinematic' to place the key light on the least visible side of the subject, I don't recall any mention as to how to get the overall film look. Maybe is that an after effect of applying ShoeLac3's vignette to the camera?
So first of all thank you !
Reaching a cinematic effect has always been my goal since I chose to do most of my renders in landscape format instead of portraits. My tutorial was mostly on how do I set up the scene, how do I manage it, and I think the first step of that cinematic look comes from the scene, but indeed the post-work plays a huge role in this.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I really wanna point out the fact that your scene is the foundation, and post-work isn't gonna carry your render to a cinematic look, the post-work enchances your lighting on the scene, but won't fix it if it's not done well ( It can also make it look worse ).
The way I do my post work, will make the dark spots darkers, and the bright spots brighters and a bit more colorized, due to the color grading.
For example, on this scene, there are 2 spotlights, one on the right side ( a cyan light, you can see it on the reflect of her eyes ) and one aimed to the background. The key light on the left side of her face is environment lighting. If those two spotlights wouldn't exist, the post-work process would have destroyed the render making it really dark creating a very strong harsh lighting ( which can be a style, but wouldn't fit the scene, and simply what I had in mind ).

My answer is a long way to answer : both post-work and directly in daz. You have to know what your post-work is gonna bring to your render while you're still on your scene before starting rendering, with experience you'll be able to imagine better and better what your final work is going to look like before you start the post-work process.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes