VN Ren'Py Destined Dreams [Development Thread]

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote
Nov 23, 2023
Branching is mostly based on choosing between LI's. I planned different outcomes and totally different scenes with those paths. I hope to make replayability a major factor in game design.
Please consider adding an (optional) anal-only path. That'll certainly add to replayability and appeal to more kinks.

melwen

Jan 10, 2024
Please consider adding an (optional) anal-only path. That'll certainly add to replayability and appeal to more kinks.
In the current stage of the story and character development, It's quite impossible but, after I'm done with most of the episodes and the community expects different aspects like that, I'll open some polls about this kind of topics to make some additional content, not canon. Thank you for your suggestion!

melwen

Jan 10, 2024

Hello everyone. This will be the longest update about the development process of Destined Dreams. I want to give detailed explanations about what’s happening in the process on three topics. Story, Art and Coding.

Story

As you might known if you checked my previous updates, I finished the script of Destined Dreams way before I started with art and coding. It was done from day 1 of the development. I have improved it over the past 5 months, of course, but now, I’m giving more detail to the branches that we can choose in the game. After working on coding for the past months, I realized there is a huge potential in making branches more interesting. With this realization, I’m working on improving them a little bit but that’s not affecting the development process at all.

In Episode 1, there will be a major branching choice that will lead up to 2 totally different scenes. I’m not talking about minor dialog changes or anything. It will totally give you different stories based on whatever you choose. I’m not spoiling that. With that, I’m planning to increase the replayability aspect of the game. That branch also means you will get to shape your MC in minor and major ways. Of course, some dialogs can shape your character but with the branching choices, you will get to play the game as you want. Be a romantic, be a womanizer, or focus on your dream LI. That will be up to you. I planned the whole story in my mind and I’m committed to finishing Destined Dreams with that plan.

Art

I've largely completed the characters Evelyn, Zoey, and Olivia. They are three of the main LI’s in Destined Dreams. Since the characters we'll use in the first Episode will form the foundation of the game. That doesn’t mean I will not be adding more characters in the upcoming episodes but these are our main LI’s in Destined Dreams. I'm paying extra attention to their poses, outfits, and overall vibe. I'm also trying to make the characters as different as possible from each other, both in personality and appearance. That's why creating character designs and poses is taking longer than usual. In addition to what I've done before, I've added extra poses and facial expressions for the characters.

I'm also revising and improving the characters I made earlier, trying to make them more harmonious with other characters and the background. For example, even though Elizabeth was already completed, I reworked her body and adapted her to the semi-realistic art style I had planned from the beginning. Some feedback from Reddit suggested a more cartoony style, but overall, when we look at Destined Dreams, a semi-realistic style suits the game much better, both in terms of gameplay and visual style. That's why I'm paying attention to anatomical consistency when creating the characters. In addition to in-game illustrations, I've mostly completed the UI designs as well. The game now has its own visual style. The main menu design and dialogue box are almost in their final form. I’ll update you on that matter later since It’s not really a big deal.

Coding

The hardest aspect of the Destined Dreams personally. Thanks to the Ren’Py, I’m learning how to do most of the things I want in the game. I want to add some minigames. Even though I’m not a fan of minigames in Visual Novels, I think that will spice up things in the playthrough. They will be optional but still, I want them to be part of the game for immersion. I was working with creating art and coding simultaneously but I stopped doing that to finish 3 remaining characters. That’s why I’m not coding the game for the moment. But, the foundation of the game is already ready. Branching will be a little tough for me to do but as I told in the story section, all the branching parts are ready and all I have to do is implement them into the code. I need to do lots of testing of those branching parts which will I update you later on.

Overall, the Development process is going as planned. No delays and no rush. I’m too picky when it comes to making art. Lots of revises are happening in the background that I can’t update you on because It’s not a huge visual improvisation but just fixing the issues that caught my eye. Thank you for being this early in the development process. I’ll see you all later with great visual updates.

melwen

Jan 10, 2024
October Update - Mini Games

Hello everyone

I have been working with the usual artwork part of the Destined Dreams. It's going great. I believe I finished most of the work by now. In the meantime, I have been trying to improve my Ren'Py skills. And now, I can proudly say that I finished my first mini-game for Destined Dreams! Even though it's just a basic clicking game, that's still a huge improvement.

Mini-games in Destined Dreams will be OPTIONAL. It will not affect the story in any way. As It's a story-driven game, mini-games will serve as an entertainment purpose and not be crucial. I wanted to make a poll for my Patreon, you don't have to be a paid member to vote for it. Even though we are a small community, I wanted to know your thoughts on minigames in Visual Novels. Also, you can write your mini-game ideas down beloved.

(It's not paywalled. Free membership grants you a vote.)

I'll update you more about art next week. It will be a big update!

melwen

Jan 10, 2024
Mid October Update

I have been working on Destined Dreams non-stop since my last update. I didn’t want to give minor updates weekly since I posted a major development update last month.
I’m still working on poses and revisiting some of my older drawings in the meantime. I realised I have improved my drawing skills quite a lot since I started Destined Dreams. For that reason, I keep finding some minor’s details missing with the first characters I draw. I’m not trying to nitpick everything in the process but some improvements are needed. I want this game to be in final form when It is released. I don’t want to turn back and rework the art design.
Thank you. I will update you more with the characters soon.​

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote