Developers coming to f95 to "play nice" and just adver tise.

Bloo

The Angry Person
Former Staff
Aug 18, 2016
@gunderson

Here's another example, this time the Something Unlimited thread which is "owned" by the developer of the game. Has you can see, several people edit it all the time.

It's important for people to understand that exclusive builds aren't delayed even if a developer asks for it. Our priority is sharing with the community here.
dwqe.png

It's a misconception people have that if i create a thread, i'm the one who maintains it.

Reactions: u z i

gunderson

Aug 17, 2016
Staff/Mods/Uploaders update the thread when we have a new version available, we don't expect Devs to update their own threads with shared links of their own work. However, when we assign a thread to a developer, it's agreed that shared links aren't to be touched. If shared links are removed the thread is reassigned to a member of the uploader team.

So far, this has happened twice, it's a very rare occurrence and is handled asap. We have a good relationship with the vast majority of devs, which we like to nurture where possible, as it can benefit both them and the community.
Good to know. Pardon my ignorance.

Philly_Games

Game Developer
Sep 9, 2017
I'll chime in on a dev side of things. Do I advertise here, sure of course. It would be silly not too. I don't think I am doing it to "play nice" though. I like getting critiques and ideas that are offered, it helps me improve the game. If you go through my thread early on there are suggestions i implemented via player feedback there. Plus so far the community has been very respectful towards me which is great and it has earned me enough support to continue making my game. Basically if there was no f95 there would be no Depraved Awakening.

FoxLust

Aug 20, 2017
Well it kinda normal game wont grow up without advertisement or will maybe but really slowly.
I find it kinda good too because its more easy for new people here or just people that want to find new games

Reactions: Nottravis

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Staff/Mods/Uploaders update the thread when we have a new version available, we don't expect Devs to update their own threads with shared links of their own work. However, when we assign a thread to a developer, it's agreed that shared links aren't to be touched. If shared links are removed the thread is reassigned to a member of the uploader team.

So far, this has happened twice, it's a very rare occurrence and is handled asap. We have a good relationship with the vast majority of devs, which we like to nurture where possible, as it can benefit both them and the community.
Sorry for the off topic but this is something that interests me a lot, I had looked it up but I either did not pay enough attention or it is not specified:
Does that mean that I could make my own thread and keep it up to date (tag wise, etc.) and leave the task to upload the latest version to the uploaders?

Walg

Visual art is my magnet. Currently inactive
GFX Designer
Donor
Oct 5, 2018
Sorry for the off topic but this is something that interests me a lot, I had looked it up but I either did not pay enough attention or it is not specified:
Does that mean that I could make my own thread and keep it up to date (tag wise, etc.) and leave the task to upload the latest version to the uploaders?
If the uploaders have access to the latest version then absolutely. Uploaders have permissions to edit OP's (Jr uploaders can't edit OP's. Thanks to @TCMS for that clarification) and it's their "job" via their own volunteered contribution to update the thread where they can. Obviously very helpful to have an army of uploaders and staff :)

Back on topic, as many dev's have said already, it'd be silly not to advertise their VN's here but what sets them apart is the interaction between devs and the community which drums up feedback and more free advertising. On top of that you then have awesome gfx artists (@Krull, @crust, @Carlo S and those who came before just to name a few) who've kindly donated their time to create banners, wallpapers and sigs giving back to the community and also giving more free advertising usually without the dev asking for it.

The community's all about sharing and if that means sharing of ideas, art and advertising that helps everyone then so be it :)

katmandomo

Feb 10, 2018
IMHO the best devs are the ones that stay engaged with the audience, and this forum is a better place for than than their Patreon page or some random Discord server. This site is a huge driver of Patreon signups so it's advantageous for the devs to check the F95 thread once every day or two.

Posting demo versions of games is kind of lame, but people will call them out for that in the thread right away so it doesn't go very far. The mods will even edit the OP to make it clear that the version posted is a demo. The OP for this thread seems to be paranoid that "oh no, this is a Warez site, if the devs find it we'll be busted", not realizing that the Patreon development model has completely flipped that on its head. Now everybody is working their butts off to put out the best possible free content to encourage people to subscribe.

Kthulian

www.kthuliangames.com
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2018
There are a few developers here now that post their links to their websites, patreons, etc, and post their dog ass public releases and links to their patreon on their posts. This basically subverts what this site is made to do and they get a free pass to advertise their game and basically use a new platform to spread it and garner more pledges while we come here and don't get what this site is meant for.

I have my own personal reasons that I'd rather donate to f95 rather than these developers that I do not wish to spark debate on and derail the topic at hand, which I feel is very important to this site. More and more developers every passing day come here, post links to their patreons and post their public releases while basically guaranteeing that no one is going to post a link with their game's latest release.

I find this entirely ridiculous, personally.
So... You are saying that the developers "adapting to piracy" to keep developing games is bad? Yeah I get it.... Developers are evil and deserve nothing, they spend their time and skill building games that I'm not allowed to play without paying? And they dare to post links to their patreon and websites? Yeah... Developers are indeed a bunch o Assholes!!

Rythan25

Engaged Member
Feb 20, 2018
I think I only ever seen one case of a dev being punished by having his thread taken over by the mod team, It was a new dev that just started and was asking for feedback, and this site still being a part of the "internet" he got some slightly abrasive yet playful criticisms about his game, and he went bonkers on everyone posting there.

Several mods came into the thread to try to calm things down (more for the benefit of the dev than the posters as he was the one getting angrier and more offensive), and eventually he told the posters to go F*** themselves and the mods to shove it, and removed all the links to his game, then one of the mods came in and roll-backed the thread making all the links available again.

That said I dont mind the devs advertising the game as long as its not too strongly, meaning every post someone asks them about a feature or future plans being answered with "if you patron me you'll get your answer"... So far I havent seen one dev do that, instead they usually show up, if they are only in it for money, they get disillusioned after one or two releases and abandon the game...

We do have quite a few that keep on trucking, as well as old vets that hardly come here anymore as they are happy with their income... Two of them already posted here, and are doing a great job in their threads and with their games @Domiek and @MrKnobb . I patron one of them, and will probably soon patron the other as his game has started getting more traction, and his style is funny as all hell, just need to keep an eye on his schedule a bit more to convince myself... I try to support the ones that are monthly (they can be late a week or two, it doesnt bother me), but I dont support bi-monthly or longer, as it shows a lack of work ethic, especially if they updates are small for a two month long wait.

Rythan25

Engaged Member
Feb 20, 2018
@gunderson

Here's another example, this time the Something Unlimited thread which is "owned" by the developer of the game. Has you can see, several people edit it all the time.

It's important for people to understand that exclusive builds aren't delayed even if a developer asks for it. Our priority is sharing with the community here.
View attachment 159984

It's a misconception people have that if i create a thread, i'm the one who maintains it.
I have a quick question for you, if I became a dev tomorrow how does one go about starting their own thread about their game ? Its always been odd to me that usually a mod from this site creates the thread vs the dev.

I know it can be simple reasons such as the dev is too busy, didnt want to share it here to begin with, etc... but most devs do later come into the thread of their game to say hi and read through feedback, yet 90% of the games are opened by the mod team vs 10% by the game dev...

Reactions: Kthulian

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I have a quick question for you, if I became a dev tomorrow how does one go about starting their own thread about their game ? Its always been odd to me that usually a mod from this site creates the thread vs the dev.

I know it can be simple reasons such as the dev is too busy, didnt want to share it here to begin with, etc... but most devs do later come into the thread of their game to say hi and read through feedback, yet 90% of the games are opened by the mod team vs 10% by the game dev...
The dev asks someone to make a thread for them, it is handy as I do not have a fast enough connection to upload in three or more services, back then one of the good ones was not even accessible to everyone to begin with.
I guess some people do not want to spend time editing the thread or making it either, I have personally asked them to make a thread for me but in my future projects I will make a thread myself and then ask an uploader to update my links to multiple hosts.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Speak to N7 or UncleVT to assist or give directions...

Kthulian

www.kthuliangames.com
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2018

@UncleVT helped me create my own thread, he is very nice, I'm sure he will help you.
About the mods editing the thread, it's quite helpful since my Internet connection isn't great, they usually upload the game to several uploading sites for me

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
I think I only ever seen one case of a dev being punished by having his thread taken over by the mod team, It was a new dev that just started and was asking for feedback, and this site still being a part of the "internet" he got some slightly abrasive yet playful criticisms about his game, and he went bonkers on everyone posting there.

Several mods came into the thread to try to calm things down (more for the benefit of the dev than the posters as he was the one getting angrier and more offensive), and eventually he told the posters to go F*** themselves and the mods to shove it, and removed all the links to his game, then one of the mods came in and roll-backed the thread making all the links available again.

That said I dont mind the devs advertising the game as long as its not too strongly, meaning every post someone asks them about a feature or future plans being answered with "if you patron me you'll get your answer"... So far I havent seen one dev do that, instead they usually show up, if they are only in it for money, they get disillusioned after one or two releases and abandon the game...

We do have quite a few that keep on trucking, as well as old vets that hardly come here anymore as they are happy with their income... Two of them already posted here, and are doing a great job in their threads and with their games @Domiek and @MrKnobbI try to support the ones that are monthly (they can be late a week or two, it doesnt bother me), but I dont support bi-monthly or longer, as it shows a lack of work ethic, especially if they updates are small for a two month long wait.
Thanks for the kind words Ryan. I agree with most of what you say but do want to address a misconception regarding schedules. Release schedule has zero bearing on work ethic.

I've been releasing monthly since July and I know for a fact that I don't have a better work ethic than Hopes for example, who takes more than two months an update. One really needs to take into consideration the length and scope of work for the alloted development time. A game like Deluca or City of Broken Dreamers would be far less satisfying if the devs didnt have longer development cycles to ensure each chapter is fully realized.

Then you have monthly devs like me who fall into the same trap. Deadlines are so tight that I start to stagnate in my growth as a dev because rather than using some precious development time to learn new skills, I end up settling for "eh thats good enough" in order to push content. This is not a healthy habit.

Unfortunately, of course there are devs with poor work ethic, I just want to stress that release schedule is a poor indicator of this. Sorry for derailing the OP a bit.

Rythan25

Engaged Member
Feb 20, 2018
Thanks for the kind words Ryan. I agree with most of what you say but do want to address a misconception regarding schedules. Release schedule has zero bearing on work ethic.

I've been releasing monthly since July and I know for a fact that I don't have a better work ethic than Hopes for example, who takes more than two months an update. One really needs to take into consideration the length and scope of work for the alloted development time. A game like Deluca or City of Broken Dreamers would be far less satisfying if the devs didnt have longer development cycles to ensure each chapter is fully realized.

Then you have monthly devs like me who fall into the same trap. Deadlines are so tight that I start to stagnate in my growth as a dev because rather than using some precious development time to learn new skills, I end up settling for "eh thats good enough" in order to push content. This is not a healthy habit.

Unfortunately, of course there are devs with poor work ethic, I just want to stress that release schedule is a poor indicator of this. Sorry for derailing the OP a bit.
I do absolutely take into account what you said, thats why I said I dont mind devs that sometimes get behind schedule for a week or two, or even three so long as they communicate that something is up and dont use excuses every month.

Lets take for example someone like Bluecat and his game Ecchi Sensei, if the dude released his game very two months I'd still stay patron'd to him, cause his updates are massive (I know some dont think so cause they hit the damn "ctrl" key skipping the story and say "it was too short"... But those people's opinions honestly shouldnt matter, I am a quick reader, but in these games I take my damn time reading the text, and looking at the render for easter eggs, or just how well the posing was done.

Than you have other devs like gumdrop who was making 12k a few months ago without releasing an update for more than a year !! Or devs that release a new version and it has 20 renders and 500 words... thats too small for a month, unless he is putting in mini-games that people arent going to care about anyway...or the last example, a dev that is at v0.5 and halfway done with his game by his own admission and releases v0.6 but its a start over... either a new engine, or a new interface that removes half the content of previous versions... thats just twisted...

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
This community grows by the skin of everyone's teeth and the grind of the many who try to make a world to actually live and thrive in, rather than survive or just idle by.

Great devs who share any wisdom here could very well still instigate any conversation based on pictures alone, or story alone, or even projects their patrons engage into -

------- because all and any other free sharing sites just have their mods sub and patron devs to then release and push their content further

---- the trick with buying subs for u loa ded rap id ga tor.

There have been exceptions where devs opened threads for tens and tens of pages for a work in progress - the devil dev just puts renders all over and gets discussion going without any strain on the patrons or the community.

Good help is hard to find and honest unfiltered nagging on a bad choice is often the best way to push forward!