Do you care about naming your characters?

Do you care about naming your characters?

• yes

Votes: 95 52.5%
  • no

Votes: 86 47.5%

• Total voters

mgtoons

Jul 25, 2018
I will put off playing games that I can't determine the name of my own character, or wait for a mod that eventually does it. I need to connect with the MC. I need to feel like I am the MC. It makes the game hit so much harder. It seems like such a basic thing. I don't understand why it wouldn't be standard practice today.

D

Deleted member 3145675

Hi,
It depends on the game.

For games in which self-insertion/roleplay is either relevant or important (a lot of html games) the possibility of renaming the MC and his/her main LI can be interesting or even needed.

For games in which the MC is already well defined with background or goals etc... it's less important.
(it also may be better for giving the player the impression of ex cathedra control) (i.e. GGGB)

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
I have a standard name for my mc that has no relation to my name. for the women I tend to give names fitting their roles, because the devs use almost always character breaking stipper names. if I get to choose, nobody in my game is called celeste, candy etc unless they actually are strippers. and even then they should have real names off stage like sara, ann, kate etc.

for the milfs it's especially important they don't have sexy young names. and names like beatrice only belong to duchesses and ballerinas.

Reactions: mgtoons

rk-47

Jun 27, 2020
i name them the same name since my first renpy game and havent been able to change it

Reactions: mgtoons

t727

Jan 4, 2018
Vote: Yes
For male it's: Trollox or Trollox McDerp if surname is also required
For female it's: Trollop or Trollop McDerp if surname is also required
Very innovative aren't they?

darkduck09

Jan 20, 2019
Depends on the story you're trying to tell. There's a lot of games that let you choose a character name but it doesn't ever matter (except for maybe save files). Some AAA games where this is the case is Oblivion, Skyrim (Morrowind was mostly text based so they could actually say your name), Diablo III, etc. The most prominant game featured here that did this is Newlife (you choose a name and then are hence forth referred to as "you"), in my opinion.

If the story you're trying to tell requires a certain person to be the character, then it's okay to not let the player name the character. If the story you're trying to tell is subjective to the player, in that the player dictates the gameplay, then it's probably a good idea for you to allow the naming of the character.

Reactions: Glib_Gentleman

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
I am an unimaginative bastard and name every MC John. Then I inevitably run into another John in the game and hijinks ensues. I prefer if there is a default name...

voronkov

Aug 27, 2018
В играх где можно редактировать персонажа , менять имя это нужно я думаю. Так же в играх вполне неплохо называть персонажа или даже нескольких, но когда сделано это правильно, а не так назови кого из персонажей который появиться потом в игра. Ты называешь персонаж появляться и понимаешь что имя совсем не подходит. Если имя у персонажа есть уже в игре то это тоже неплохо, просто играешь за задуманного автором персонажа и это нормально.

In games where you can edit the character, you need to change the name, I think. Also in games it is quite good to name a character or even several, but when it is done correctly, and not so name which of the characters that will appear later in the game. You call the character to appear and realize that the name does not fit at all. If the character's name is already in the game, then this is also not bad, you just play for the character conceived by the author and that's okay.

Asia Argento

The Golden Dragon Princess
Donor
Apr 14, 2020
Naming your character can help make the game feel catered to you... or it can be a source of lol

Name: Shitballs.

VN Person: "Oh... Thank you, Shitballs. I wouldnt know what I would have done without you."

Carpe Stultus

Engaged Member
Sep 30, 2018
Do i use it when i can? Yup.
Does it bother me if i can't? Nope.

My MC's often end up with stupid names for comical purposes, if i can rename them. :WeSmart:

Stripe

May 25, 2021
If there is a male main character, then yes I would definitely want to be able to change their name. I don't care about naming the other characters, so long as they're not named anything off-putting or strange.

godkingxerxes

Sep 27, 2020
Just the first name, I don't like having a first and last name. Leads too often to everybody calling you Mr whateverthefuck.

Apr 19, 2019
I voted yes, but there's a catch. If I can name the character, it's expected that I should be able to identify with that character. A character creation system can help here for starters. In the game itself, if the character does something or acts in a way I just can't identify with, even with a heavy dose of suspension of disbelief, it takes me right out of the game and I usually turn it off. With erotic games it's often a clumsy and forced segue into a sex scene that does it. Too often the sex scenes are treated as a separate thing from the rest of the game, and the main character seems to suddenly take on personality traits that go completely against how the character was written up until that point.

If the main character is written in a way I can't identify with, I would rather he/she has their own name. Like Rance for example. Rance is a rapist asshole (Who sometimes does good things). I can't personally identify with a rapist asshole, so it's better that Rance has his own name... For me at least.