Do you care about naming your characters?

Do you care about naming your characters?

• yes

Votes: 95 52.5%
  • no

Votes: 86 47.5%

• Total voters

zenshiny

Dec 31, 2016
All MC names should default to "Fucklord McBangpuss" so I don't have to name them that myself.

Veileos

Feb 7, 2022
Naming the main character is a must for me. The main love interests not at all. Most of the time I'll use my own name but am growing fond of Albie Dereforu for my harem games.

SecretSal

Aug 25, 2016
Not a big priority for me, but it's a useful feature in case the default MC name happens to be one that irrationally annoys me. Anyway, it's easy enough to tinker with the script and change the names there itself.

But (on an unrelated topic) I'd really appreciate it if games stopped asking players to define the relationships between the MC and other characters. A lot of the time, I don't know for sure who they're actually supposed to be in the original vision, and have no idea how the dialog is even going to integrate these relationships. Which leads to several trial-and-error runs to see if which version of this hodgepodge system leads to the least fucked up conversations. Feels like a pop quiz answering who they are to you, who you are to them, what you call them, what they call you, what the entirety of your group is defined as. There are few better ways to make me lose interest in a game at the start. Just write the relationships the way you want to, edit them to cover your ass from the patronage overlords, and have a patch offsite to bring it back to the original text.

Mr Monkey

Sep 11, 2021
Naming the MC is a must for me because makes it more immersive. But when the game asks me to name the other characters without giving me a default name I don't like it, I'm terrible with names.

Reactions: Bev_

Ambir

Adult games developer
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2020
I would say that if I can't name the MC, he better damn well be fleshed out. There are plenty of games with unnamable MC that work really well. An exemple of that would be the Rance series.

That being said, having the option to name the character can be quite nice.

Once_Up

Aug 20, 2021
I don't self-insert so I don't care, but I'm really interested in the game that doesn't let me name the MC which means it needs to be something different or special about MC in that game.

Douve

Jun 1, 2017
Playing a MC male I prefer to change my name but playing as a MC female I usually don't mind that much sometime I change it but sometime I keep it by default.
For other characters I never change.