Do you care about naming your characters?

Do you care about naming your characters?

• yes

Votes: 95 52.5%
  • no

Votes: 86 47.5%

• Total voters

Succubus Hunter

Conversation Conqueror
May 19, 2020
I ALWAYS name my MC. My go to name is "Manwhore" as that is a nickname one of my olf gfs gave me. As for other characters, I usually keep their names the same unless they are difficult to pronounce or are poorly translated.

yooheenn

May 27, 2021
My new go to example for bad MC names is Erol. I don't understand why anyone would think that was a good name for a MC. If people are supposed to identify, sympathize, or immerse themselves in the story why give them such a jarring name?
You dont choice your name also name doesnt idefny your character or your job or your pyshic. So I dont understand how could you think erol is bad name for anything? You just need to say erol is bad name if you want to be clear. You cant say erol is bad for hacker erol is bad for doctor. Its not logical. But if you mean for example you live in England and say ''erol is strange name for english citicen'' than I can understand that.

• Angry
Reactions: MrFriendly

ChaosOpen

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2019
It's a single line of code, so there is no real point in not giving them the option beyond pure spite.
Python:
$ persistent.pname = renpy.input( "Though my friends call me:", default="Logan" ).strip().capitalize()

doble77

Feb 24, 2018
If the dev gives a character a default name, I usually leave it as is (unless it is "Anon" or "MC" or something like that). I just wish more games gave you a warning if there's already a different character in the game with the same name you gave your character...

Reactions: Sole and MrFriendly

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
I personally don't care but when I released Vae Victis the people who like this feature were very vocal about it so I added it.

ChaosOpen

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2019
If the dev gives a character a default name, I usually leave it as is (unless it is "Anon" or "MC" or something like that). I just wish more games gave you a warning if there's already a different character in the game with the same name you gave your character...
I have that in my game and it gives you the option to either pick a different name or change the name of the existing character.

Untolddead

Dec 22, 2018
I like naming MC (Well I just name them A) just so I can know when the other characters are talking to me. If the MC is default named George or something especially early in the game I won't even realize who is being talked about.

Summer Boy

Mar 22, 2020
I prefer when the game itself names the characters or at least suggest their names but it’s not a big deal, I just put some random name.

DarkForse

Sep 23, 2017
Vote: No
Because i don't really care how the MC is named as far as the game is good, but if there is naming future i will use it.
I mean if the game is a piece of crap then i don't think anyone will bother that they can name there character, also if the game have good animation, CG, story, gameplay, content and is all around enjoyable for you to play it, i don't think you will care if you can name MC or not ...

dexter111

May 31, 2017
I don't really care. If it's a good game, I'm fine with self-inserting a little.
If it's something mediocre, I can rename my character and give it a stupid name. Same if there's (faux) Japanese setting.

Apr 18, 2019
I like the feature. It's one of many little aspects that help you put yourself in the MC's shoes. Helps create more first person immersion. Of course if the game's MC is already designed with third person in mind, then a rename feature isn't that important since the first person immersion would be almost impossible to achieve anyway. And it's also nice to rename the other characters, especially if you think that name doesn't fit to that character etc.

Apr 18, 2019
Georgina is a fairly common name in some European countries.
Or Alex for females (or similar american names that sound like they belong to the opposite gender). I know it's common for americans, but I just add an A at the end, then it works for me again.
But generally I try to keep the standard names (except MC) if it's not unbearable to my ears.

Apr 18, 2019
I really like to be able to rename the characters. I think its a must to have the option to name your MC at the start. I also think that games should have an option in settings or whatever, to change the names of other characters in the game. There have been a few times where girls in the game share the same name with my mom/sisters and it kills me. I just can't play the game.
Especially if it's an incest game. Then it's really weird. I like incest games, but if that sister ingame would represent my own sister, even if it's just a shared first name, that would be a turn-off and ruin the game. Funny actually.

Reactions: Succubus Hunter

Vreek

Apr 8, 2020
I care to name the MC to actually know when he/she is saying something since I play many VNs and don't like to memorize every different VN's MC name. I don't really identify with the MC's name since I never use my real one anyway (reason: paranoia, lizard people... ;) ).
Some devs also give their characters off-screen lines. And then there's the odd bug when the devs simply mistake a name and you see somebody totally not in the scene at all speak a single line (I know that probably comes from the ren'py name shortening system that saves keystrokes but can lead to slip-ups like that).

Reactions: Succubus Hunter

Rando Civ

LMFAO.
Game Developer
Jul 31, 2017
Yeah, sure! I like to personalize parts of the games I play. Fucking hate self-inserting into mcs, so I just name them names that I think fit their faces or the plot or the setting.

Succubus Hunter

Conversation Conqueror
May 19, 2020
Especially if it's an incest game. Then it's really weird. I like incest games, but if that sister ingame would represent my own sister, even if it's just a shared first name, that would be a turn-off and ruin the game. Funny actually.
Agreed about incest games. If I played one of those there is no way I would use my own name. I wouldn't even use my go-to MC name (Manwhore) for something that I may not want to associate that name with down the line.

I care to name the MC to actually know when he/she is saying something since I play many VNs and don't like to memorize every different VN's MC name. I don't really identify with the MC's name since I never use my real one anyway (reason: paranoia, lizard people... ;) ).
Some devs also give their characters off-screen lines. And then there's the odd bug when the devs simply mistake a name and you see somebody totally not in the scene at all speak a single line (I know that probably comes from the ren'py name shortening system that saves keystrokes but can lead to slip-ups like that).
Agreed about the "Lizard people".