Do you care about naming your characters?

Do you care about naming your characters?

• yes

Votes: 95 52.5%
  • no

Votes: 86 47.5%

• Total voters

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
At minimum I need to be able to name the MC. This allows me to avoid playing a character that may have the same name as an IRL friend, frenemy, or enemy. In addition there are first names I just don't like.

Otherwise I don't really care about naming anyone else. In fact naming a lot of characters can be frustrating because I don't know what names are used within the game. Say I name the Landlord/Dad "Phil" but then it turns out his boss is named Phil. So unless the developer lists all names used within the game it is just best if the MC's name is the only one I can change.

Reactions: Staimh

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
I presume naming a game character comes from dnd tabletop times where you role play a character and invent story and events for them.
When the story and setting already exist and you don't change anything naming a character makes no sense, it wont fit the setting.

Glorified_ignorance

Mar 28, 2019
Always. I have my eternal favorites from other games, mangas(animes) or my own original. Both for males and females, if game allows.

And no it's not xxXkiritoXxx :FacePalm:

Uncle Grabby

Feb 16, 2017
If it's male, yes. Mostly for immersion. If the MC has hair, even better. Coz I'm bald and I miss having hair.

If it's female, also yes. Coz I wanna name her Liz. I like the idea that people will think it's short for Elizabeth, but no - her real name is Lizard. Cracks me up every time.

Biceptual

May 21, 2018
Nothing would make it harder to enjoy the game than the MC having a name of a close relative or coworker.

HentaiHerald

Jun 25, 2017
I really like to be able to rename the characters. I think its a must to have the option to name your MC at the start. I also think that games should have an option in settings or whatever, to change the names of other characters in the game. There have been a few times where girls in the game share the same name with my mom/sisters and it kills me. I just can't play the game.

pontus100

Feb 4, 2018
I always name the MC after myself since I really like to self-insert. When a character already has a design and personality, I sometimes name them, but the immersion is already gone.

Reactions: HentaiHerald

Jofur

May 22, 2018
I appreciate having a default name, otherwise I kinda go blank and end up using the same name every time, but not being able to change character names can get awkward, especially when you associate it with someone you know, having a MC with the same name as a close friend, or god forbid, a female main character with the same name as my mother is a pretty big turn off. I've even had to straight up stop playing some games because of it.

Deleted member 1684328

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2019
If I am prompted to name the relationship and how to call the characters, I always skip those. I like how the developers named their characters (unless I really dislike the name, but that hasn't happened yet). One part of the problem is that I can't seem to come up with original names, and to be honest most of the time I don't even care what their names are.

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
If I were developing a game I'd include the option to rename at least the MC. As we all can see here, it's a huge deal for lots of people. Now, I don't particulary mind and I would say I even prefer to not having to stop and think and type a name once the game has already started, so most of times I just go with the default name. So, again, if I were developing a game, I wouldn't include that option a few lines after the start, but rather in a splashscreen before players even get to the main menu

Staimh

Dec 12, 2020
As someone else has already said
Only want to name the MC to avoid having a name I associate with someone I am close to or dislike

Reactions: Sole

hakarlman

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2017
I'm curious, is it safe to say that if you want to name the MC, you're trying to self insert?

If the game plays from a first person pov, I'd always want to name the MC, because I'm self inserting as much as possible for immersion.

If the game refers to the MC from a third person point of view, then I wouldn't change the name. Like Kingdom of Deception for example, I wouldn't want to change Sabia's name.

God3333

Mar 9, 2019
I think it really helps with the immersion, although it depends what type of game you're playing. I've got a very rare name (outside of the small area I live) but even then I'll sometimes have issue where a side character has my name, although spelt wrong.

yooheenn

May 27, 2021
Actually I prefer to play with defined characters because naming a character not enought to feel like its me or someone else.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Yeah, I'll even try to name the other characters because some of the names these devs choose are so weird, like Georgina in DMD, wtf is that, what century is that name even from
My new go to example for bad MC names is Erol. I don't understand why anyone would think that was a good name for a MC. If people are supposed to identify, sympathize, or immerse themselves in the story why give them such a jarring name?