TheCastle

Jan 1, 2018
LOL (he he), good one, good analogy RancidSocks.

BUT....to be a little fair to the new members ("Newbies", as not long ago I was one) and also those of us who are not "IT / software experts", someone should explain the situation.

If you’re not aware, have not read or been unable to decipher the posts about the software tracking being used, here’s my "layman's" understanding of it. I'm sure (more than sure..he he) someone will correct me if I get this wrong!

Fansadox / Dofantasy (publishers / sellers) are using various means to try to stop the free sharing of their comics. They use DRM = Digital Rights Management software to try to make it hard to copy the comics. That's why you find some comics in Jpeg version, as they need to be "cracked" (DRM removed) from the original PDF version as part of the copying process. They also track comics issued to buyers, by "implanting" hidden serial numbers in the comic art (this post by muttdoggy gives an example ). In order to buy the comic you have to provide verifiable (credit card etc.) info, which they retain and try to use to link sales to individuals. When they find comics have been posted for sharing they try to get the link taken down if they can. They then threaten legal action to the uploader, if they can. They cross reference their records of the purchaser of the comic and threaten them with legal action as they were obviously the one who shared the comic with someone in the first place. So in theory just by sharing and not even uploading a purchased comic on line you can get a threat of legal action if someone else decides to share it. NOW...there is much (much much!) debate about just how effective any legal action would be anyway (which I'm not going to get into as it's a whole whole other debate / "can of worms"...he he), but it is obviously having some impact. That's my understanding of the situation in a nut shell, as I see it and why there has been a dramatic drop off, slowing in the amount of sharing of late. With all the work etc required, it has removed a lot of the impetus. I think I also read somewhere that some of the main people who were involved in the sharing of the Fansadox content have gotten out of the game, but I could be wrong about that. Just my two cents worth, I'm sure if I'm talking crap or someone disagrees with the above they'll put me straight pretty damn quick! Hope this helps any interested.

bruml

Jan 15, 2018
Temporary Credit cards. Lmao. It isn't like a burner phone buddy.
actually "temporary" credits carts DO exist, but its not a clasics card, but virtually credit cards from bank company, this cards can change its serial number after every payment send with this card

LOL (he he), good one, good analogy RancidSocks.
BUT....to be a little fair to the new members
this is probably the reason, why we dont have any new comixs anymore :(

Bobgr8

May 21, 2018
yeah I saw the posts, hope no one from this forum was affected in real life.

Piracy is quite kafkaesque, you pirate something you like, but you are slowly killing it. (Like DoFanstasy)

Anyways, US IP rights are not enforceable in some countries like Russia, China, India etc, but someone from there would have to but it, and I don't think there are many people from outside US who could buy.

Bobgr8

May 21, 2018
Yeah still I don't think they can do jack shit outside Europe and US, but most of the uploads live in US or Europe :(

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
AFAIK, dofantasy seems based in South America. And yeah they are toothless for the most part. But adding more ways to track purchases then a paranoid smuggler and harshly, cruelly, and relentlessly punishing and bullying those who share seems to go a long way to scaring people.
If only we had more brave pirates...

Reactions: Krull and TheCastle

Geist14

Apr 13, 2018
AFAIK, dofantasy seems based in South America. And yeah they are toothless for the most part. But adding more ways to track purchases then a paranoid smuggler and harshly, cruelly, and relentlessly punishing and bullying those who share seems to go a long way to scaring people.
If only we had more brave pirates...
Muttdoggy, if you don't mind me asking, how do you know they're based in South America? I was under the impression they're from the EU

TheCastle

Jan 1, 2018
Muttdoggy, I to wonder why you think they are based in South America?
Just curious what makes you think that, I'm interested if you have any info?
The Dofantasy, Ferres, Roberts, etc Art sites are operated by PV-Bill Consultants B.V. - The Netherlands (PV-BILL BV Dokweg 27 B - 1976 CA IJmuiden - NL), but as someone else I think wrote, they could be registered in the Netherlands for tax etc reasons.
Muttdoggy, agree with what you wrote "If only we had more brave pirates", but we need people who have the skills, knowledge, means to circumvent the anti piracy barriers etc to be able to share the content, unfortunately thats not just every "Tom, Dick or Harry" (I know unfortunately I'm not one), but hopefully there are some potiential "Jack Sparrow's" out there.
Avast, me hearties!
upload_2018-8-18_22-16-36.jpeg

Bobgr8

May 21, 2018
In case anyone ends end trying this, I made that will take two directories containing an identical set of image files and display a warning when 2 files with the same name containts different data.
It will probably get triggered by any slight light or contrast edit.
You can try it by copy pasting a directory with pictures into another, changing a picture and running the script with the two directories as parameter.
You need bash, and imagemagick.

Working example:
├── check_differences.sh
├── dir1
│ ├── 000a.jpg
│ ├── 001a.jpg
│ ├── 002a.jpg
│ ├── 003a.jpg
│ ├── 004a.jpg
│ ├── 005a.jpg
│ └── 006a.jpg
└── dir2
├── 000a.jpg
├── 001a.jpg
├── 002a.jpg
├── 003a.jpg
├── 004a.jpg
├── 005a.jpg
└── 006a.jpg

$> ./check_differences.sh dir1/ dir2/
Or we could manually remove all the numbers??
Or we could write a code such as and find all the numbers automatically and remove them (this could miss some of the numbers)

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
@TheCastle @Geist14 = A takedown notice that was supposedly "legal" was written by a member of DoFantasy and the location was in South America. If memory serves me right, it was Ecuador or Peru?

Anyways, no matter where they're located, there will be a way found to get around their "methods". But seeing as this is a seriously niche category with lots of torture, rape, and guro, most people I know that have skills to crack AAA games won't touch this.
Let me emphasize this.. it's only a matter of time.

Reactions: Krull

zermati

Mar 12, 2018
Or we could manually remove all the numbers??
Or we could write a code such as and find all the numbers automatically and remove them (this could miss some of the numbers)
Considering they seem to be tracking individual issues by embedding handmade optical edits to the file, this could miss any non character change, and you still can't tell if you're looking at legit background text or a tracked edit. (disclaimer: i barely read your link)

jackshade4654

May 8, 2017
Considering they seem to be tracking individual issues by embedding handmade optical edits to the file, this could miss any non character change, and you still can't tell if you're looking at legit background text or a tracked edit. (disclaimer: i barely read your link)
Just find a friend to buy the same item as you, so you have 2 copies of the same item.Compare the images digitally(someone in this thread already mentioned one way to do it, look above) or manually by yourself.Edit the differences, share.Not really difficult.

Reactions: NikChel