4.10 star(s) 28 Votes

HardcoreCuddler

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
Could imagine some are cool with it, just not with their own games lol
it really depends.
I know people who do stuff for fun for free for everyone to enjoy (hell, you can include crackers there, because cracking takes a lot of work, nevermind the knowledge required) while others get pissy at the slightest amount of piracy and / or singleplayer cheating. In between is to be expected imo

Kredyn

Game Developer
May 5, 2018
Could imagine some are cool with it, just not with their own games lol
Sounds hypocrisy to me.

it really depends.
I know people who do stuff for fun for free for everyone to enjoy (hell, you can include crackers there, because cracking takes a lot of work, nevermind the knowledge required) while others get pissy at the slightest amount of piracy and / or singleplayer cheating. In between is to be expected imo
You can't pirate free games, can you? I don't think I'm pissy for the slightest amount, but at the same time, I don't like seeing my content leaked. I think that is understandable. I also know it's inevitable and will happen sooner or later. But I see a huge difference between kemono and F95. At least F95 has a community around it with some genuinely nice people. Kemono feels more like cancer to me.

HardcoreCuddler

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
You can't pirate free games, can you? I don't think I'm pissy for the slightest amount, but at the same time, I don't like seeing my content leaked. I think that is understandable. I also know it's inevitable and will happen sooner or later. But I see a huge difference between kemono and F95. At least F95 has a community around it with some genuinely nice people. Kemono feels more like cancer to me.
Didn't say you were pissy bro, I don't know you at all XD, but some others are as far as I remember

kozzi

Feb 23, 2019
Sounds hypocrisy to me.

Well atleast you are reasonable enough to understand that its inevitable thats a good mindset to have,i bet no one enjoys piracy but some, many even take it to next level and go into suicide watch mode at the slightest leaks.I personaly think its about right mindset and most importantly quality product, if product is good its gonna be bought ALOT pirated or not if it doesnt suceed well shit.. i think thats on you :/ it is what it is they cant be all winners right? Imagine you get 500k usd from sales thats nice profit, (its just an example i dont know if its much or not considering production costs and shit pls not throw bricks) with good mindset you say NICE! with bad mindset you say fuck i could earn 800k or a mil FUCKING PIRATESSSSS ReeEeeEeEEEe and spiral down the drain of anger and stress. So i hope you keep having the right mindset and continue doing good content ;)

PixelBuster

Aug 15, 2020
Well the thing with Piracy is that it is sadly needed these days.

I mean common we all know how bad games in general became over the past decade and how developers on purpose made the Demo content good but once past that demo content in the finished game the shit begins. I have also played many H-Games that i honestly dont feel bad about pirating them because they were bad. If i had paid money for those THEN i would have felt bad.

Trust is good but control is better.

So yeah. Gaming Devs should get used with piracy.Is it bad ? Yes absolutely. Is it the customers fault tho ? Absolutely not.

drctvygucfvg

Aug 6, 2021
To me it's not piracy, it's more indecency.

Developing a game like that is a huge work and it's almost done for free. The only thing we have to pay is the latest version.
If you enjoy the game to the point where you WANT the latest version, ask yourself if that doesn't deserve a little counterpart.
And when the dev shares you the latest version in private message, that implies that it is private, like suggests the word "private" in "private message".
So if you consider that's worth nothing but still deserve the latest thing, accepting to betray privacy and lake respect for the creator of your desire, you're just bad.

Piracy is legit when you have no choice. Here you have the choice to play the N-1 version. It's already generous for the dev to give free access for that, I wish it could be like that for every games and even other cultural works.

Kredyn

Game Developer
May 5, 2018
Well atleast you are reasonable enough to understand that its inevitable thats a good mindset to have,i bet no one enjoys piracy but some, many even take it to next level and go into suicide watch mode at the slightest leaks.I personaly think its about right mindset and most importantly quality product, if product is good its gonna be bought ALOT pirated or not if it doesnt suceed well shit.. i think thats on you :/ it is what it is they cant be all winners right? Imagine you get 500k usd from sales thats nice profit, (its just an example i dont know if its much or not considering production costs and shit pls not throw bricks) with good mindset you say NICE! with bad mindset you say fuck i could earn 800k or a mil FUCKING PIRATESSSSS ReeEeeEeEEEe and spiral down the drain of anger and stress. So i hope you keep having the right mindset and continue doing good content ;)
Yeah, I agree. I think it's important not to be an ass about piracy, however, like I said I don't personally endorse it either.

Well the thing with Piracy is that it is sadly needed these days.

I mean common we all know how bad games in general became over the past decade and how developers on purpose made the Demo content good but once past that demo content in the finished game the shit begins. I have also played many H-Games that i honestly dont feel bad about pirating them because they were bad. If i had paid money for those THEN i would have felt bad.

Trust is good but control is better.

So yeah. Gaming Devs should get used with piracy.Is it bad ? Yes absolutely. Is it the customers fault tho ? Absolutely not.
Discussing piracy on a piracy site is kind of a bad idea, but oh well, here I go. My take on it is if you can afford it, and you like the game and played it a lot/keep playing every update, then I think you should throw some coins to support the dev. If you pirate it first, and then donate in my opinion that is 100% okay. If it turns out you don't like the game, then again, I think it's okay. If you can't afford it, because 5 bucks is a lot of money, I think it's okay. But I also think it's easy to fall into this mindset of "well I can't afford it" (when in reality you can, you just got used to not paying for it), and what you said, "games are shit nowadays". If it's shit, then why are you playing it? I think it's hypocrisy to say "I don't pay for this, because it's shit" and then keep coming back for updates. I would rather hear "yeah, I don't want to pay". I just feel like a lot of people just find excuses for piracy.

Also, don't forget. Devs here are almost exclusively indie devs and not big AAA companies. I think there is a huge difference between pirating indie dev's games and AAA companies' games. I personally chose a neutral stance on piracy. I know it's inevitable, but I'm not going to pat people on the back for leaking my game. And I think that is reasonable. I don't think it's fair to say "yeah indie devs just get used to piracy". Well, it's easy for you to say :p. Personally, the first time my game was leaked, I felt really bad for like one or two weeks. I since learned how to deal with it, but believe me, when you worked a ton on it, it can feel devastating to see it get leaked in seconds by a random guy for 5 likes.

One last thought. There are a lot of ways to support a dev and their project, not just by paying. For example, I still stand by my word, that if you translate my game, I will give it to you free and even the steam key when it is released. But you can also make videos about the game and upload them to youtube. Spread the word on discord. Make fanarts. You get the point. All of this helps a lot and some of it I appreciate even more than 5 bucks.

Thank you for coming to my ted talk. I don't think I will discuss piracy here frequently, but there you go, here are some of my thoughts about the topic. I think overall piracy as a symptom is an interesting topic. It can be used for a dev's advantage and I do think I got a lot from F95. I personally just dislike when people are being an ass about the topic.

TheRealSomeone92

Apr 15, 2019
Dunno how it is handled around here, but on the other piracy website I visited a lot there was the implicit agreement that
if a game is behind a paywall, you only share the second most recent version, not the most recent one
if a game is free, you link to the dev's website, not link the file directly, or upload it anywhere else, to help generate traffic and clicks for the dev.

HardcoreCuddler

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
Dunno how it is handled around here, but on the other piracy website I visited a lot there was the implicit agreement that
if a game is behind a paywall, you only share the second most recent version, not the most recent one
if a game is free, you link to the dev's website, not link the file directly, or upload it anywhere else, to help generate traffic and clicks for the dev.
On one of the biggest piracy websites in my area something similar happens, as in:
When a new game comes out (AAA, indie, whatever it is, doesn't matter), the uploaders either talk directly with the devs to negotiate or they follow their own estimate for a time period during which the game may be cracked, but not uploaded on the site.

So they are essentially giving the game a bit of time to make revenue and attract attention for itself before people start seeing pirated copies.

That perios has been varying, as far as I can tell, from days to months to years. Studios that are hated in general get their games pirated day 1 pretty much (think bethesda, EA, whatever, the big cunts of the gaming industry) but with other studios it's very different.

If I remember right, Doom Eternal took a WHILE to be posted, for example. And I think The Ancient Gods still hasn't been posted probably just because the crackers / uploaders loved the game and Id in general. This goes for all good games afaik, they can get posted even years after release even though they don't have any fancy DRM installed.

drctvygucfvg

Aug 6, 2021
I think it's a surprisingly nice discussion in fact. I was a bit dramatic in my previous post :whistle: , but I'm glad to see that some still defend piracy in an ethical way.

PixelBuster

Aug 15, 2020
and what you said, "games are shit nowadays". If it's shit, then why are you playing it? I think it's hypocrisy to say "I don't pay for this, because it's shit"
I cant say a game is shit without playing it first no ? I cant judge something without getting into contact with it first. And after a "test run" i have earned all the rights to say that the game is shit/good and i wont pay for it depending on what it is.

In fact i only have played 1 version of your game and never touched it since. I just have my notification on in case something changes that would make my oppinion change so in a sense this piracy forum has at least 1 person (me) still keep an eye out for your game which could still be a possible purchase.

So yeah we are not arguing piracy here but the mindset people have with it.I mean you literally called Gametesters out to be hypocrits because how dare they play first and judge then insteaad of giving me money first. I know that you didnt mean it the way you said it tho but sadly there are ALOT of developers that exactly mean it that way.

Also being an Indie Dev is no excuse far from it. Indie Devs are the biggest Bandits out there just ask the Kickstarter community.

Reactions: Coobie
4.10 star(s) 28 Votes