Unreal Engine Drifter Prince - Development / Discussion Thread

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
First and foremost. Congratulations and Good Job on getting that trailer done. Characters look good, title drop looked good, settings look good (grass is always gonna look mediocre).

My critique on the trailer, the instant change of scenery, the transitions are a bit jarring, and you missed a good timing for them with the heart beat sound.

Voices are okay, not good but also not bad, just not the best delivery of the lines.

The lines themselves were okay, the final line with the feet sounded like it didn't belong there, but that is from an outside perspective.

A bit of stiffness in the animations, noticeable in the horn grab and other places.

That city shot being so empty.

I saw you posted here and on your own subreddit, I hope you also post on other subreddits to get larger exposure.

Reactions: Corvo Bianco

Corvo Bianco

Aug 1, 2019
Hey, thanks for the critique, I'll think it through :) This is my first attemt in making a trailer. Some shots I like, some not so much, but I hope I'll improve and the next will be cooler, haha.

I've posted on various subreddits, though I didn't get a lot attention. I have a feeling I get better reception when I post during the time EU people are up instead of US.

Oh, I am going to post the trailer again so it stays on top of this page, I hope it won't bother anyone, sorry ^_^

Last edited:

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
Hey, thanks for the critique, I'll think it through :) This is my first attemt in making a trailer. Some shots I like, some not so much, but I hope I'll improve and the next will be cooler, haha.

I've posted on various subreddits, though I didn't get a lot attention. I have a feeling I get better reception when I post during the time EU people are up instead of US.

Oh, I am going to post the trailer again so it stays on top of this page, I hope it won't bother anyone, sorry ^_^

There is that, but I also think when people have something they can get their hands on, that is when people will pay more attention.

Like the "dev" area for games that are works in progress is all over the forum, so people who might be interested, might not be looking here.
-------
Maybe you can post it in the Unreal Engine Reddit thread, to get more critiques as long as you mention it is Adult. Gets more eyes and maybe fixes.

Corvo Bianco

Aug 1, 2019
There is that, but I also think when people have something they can get their hands on, that is when people will pay more attention.
Yeah, you are definitely right. I expect a bit more lively situation once there will be public build available ^^

Maybe you can post it in the Unreal Engine Reddit thread, to get more critiques as long as you mention it is Adult. Gets more eyes and maybe fixes.
I'll think about it, though from my observations the dev subreddits are just that - they are the home for developers, not fans or customers, and they have very specific tastes when it comes to which content is posted.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
Yeah, you are definitely right. I expect a bit more lively situation once there will be public build available ^^

I'll think about it, though from my observations the dev subreddits are just that - they are the home for developers, not fans or customers, and they have very specific tastes when it comes to which content is posted.
Well that is kind of the point. Like a "Hey guys, I am making an adult game" (show trailer) "I can't seem to get my (insert object that isn't sexual) right, any ideas?"

Now you have devs trying to help you and maybe becoming attached to your game, and maybe they will follow, so a win-win. Again as long as you mention it is that, and the things you show to get help on aren't sex, I can't see a reason they would block it.

At worst you show them a sanitized trailer to start with and if they want to look at the adult you can direct them to your youtube channel.

Corvo Bianco

Aug 1, 2019
Good thinking, I'll try that, thanks :)
My trailer is already quite sanitized I'd say, though Patreon wouldn't agree with me on that, hehe.

Mr. Lemonade

Jun 5, 2020
Wish there was more game in that gameplay demo. On the other hand, the artwork and graphics look amazing. Keep up the good work.

Corvo Bianco

Aug 1, 2019

Gameplay-wise we were mostly focusing on the world map so far. There is much-much more stuff going on under the hood than you might think.

Other mechanics are pretty basic at this point. The team is very small, and the project requires a lot of work and certain level of polish :) Over time we will be adding more gameplay, it's just our resources are quite limited.

Reactions: WayneTaz

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
So my critiques as always.

For a quick second I thought the flying camera and the police were combine stuff from Half Life 2

Dancing polygon lady is pretty impressive, other than it happening on a tiny building's rooftop.

I am unsure what the actual gameplay was with the map area.

I hope the comic panels get better art.
-------

With that out of the way, the camera changing color after seeing the player was nice, the drone in the rock formation looked good, all the background art was nice.

Corvo Bianco

Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for the write up :)

I hope the comic panels get better art.
Really good art is expensive. You can't simply afford it out of the pocket.
I have to make a compromise between nothing and something that looks good enough :) If I ever get proper Patreon income, I will be able to hire an experienced artist to improve on said art, until then I do what I can.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
I wasn't really meaning good 2d art. Which the comics are decent. However you do have your actual skill set of 3d models. You are already using grey scale on the comics. So why not just use your 3D models, and then "comicify" them with the grey scale or other filters to get the outcome and keep aesthetics/quality similar?

Corvo Bianco

Aug 1, 2019
I was thinking about taking this aproach, but ultimately has decided against it. There are multiple reasons for it. I can elaborate on some of them if you would like :)

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
I was thinking about taking this aproach, but ultimately has decided against it. There are multiple reasons for it. I can elaborate on some of them if you would like :)
Sure if you want to. It does keep this thread moving towards the front so you can get more eyes here.

Corvo Bianco

Aug 1, 2019
Hehe, more eyes on the project won't hurt :) I made some lame mistakes marketing-wise, so there is not much attention drawn to the game yet.

It's like the game is definitely going story-driven monster girl harem route, but I've started with a normal human girl, which is not that interesting and unique.

I am fixing it now and making a truly remarkable character, but she won't be ready in time for Demo / Prologue.

As for the reasons to make hand-drawn comics instead of reusing the 3d models... the key reason is how limiting the 3d route would be. For example, what if I need a side character I don't have a 3d model for? Okay, I can buy an additional model for this character or learn Daz3d, but all of it requires a lot of time and some money. I'd rather spend time doing freelance work, which would allow me to hire an artist to draw a few comics with as many characters and backgrounds as I'd like.

Corvo Bianco

Aug 1, 2019
Hey, my dudes and dudettes. Earlier I said I have a massive issue with my marketing efforts as my monster girl game doesn't feature any monster girl so far? Well, I've been working on it. One of the upcoming characters will have fur. That's right!

I've been doing various tests to be sure I can handle it. I have a specific quality bar, and the fur must meet it for me to proceed with said character's development.

Here is an example of the very early, rough and dirty test, but you can see it already has a potential :)

You might want to watch in HD and using fullscreen mode as fur is all about small details.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: WayneTaz and withey