HTML Dune – Breeding a Dynasty [v0.1.1] [lmno]

4.50 star(s) 10 Votes

Should we change the artstyle to the new version posted [here](/post-12150541)?

• I don't like either, but the old style is better

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

All

Nov 16, 2016
100% agree.

Development cycle for the game from first release to public to completion shouldn't be over a year, if you can help it. If you already think your project will take over a year, don't add anything that takes more than a week to add to the game. Ie, adding secondary paths (non-branching, just short term differences following decisions) can work, since you can keep the scene quantity from bloating too much. But if you try for branching paths, you can easily end up doubling the scene count (minimum). If the project is under a year from completion, ONLY the most important major changes should occur, and only ones that you are reasonably confident will keep the total completion time under that 1 year mark.

Then, once the game is finished, you have "only" invested a year into it. And you can figure out whether you want to add further features to the game, start over with a new game (2nd chapter, alternate timeline, whatever), or stop with a completed game before you burn out entirely.

Especially here on F95, there are WAY too many incomplete games. The games forum is so full of version 0.0.1s that browsing for new content is a pain in the ass.
And even for the games that progress past 0.0.3 versions, the vast majority either never get completed, or take 5 years to complete while the authors beg for funding (and/or exploit their patreon users). Completed games are the rarity. But a half-as-fulfilling game that got completed is usually better than a game that had way more going on and got abandoned halfway through (with the same number of developer hours).

Provide the complete game first, follow up later. Plus, by the time the finished game is done, you'll have far more feedback to work with.

Also remember: You won't satisfy everyone. That's why we have hundreds/thousands of games. But you also shouldn't make a game for "just yourself" (dear god, so many self-insert fantasy games out there that are just impossible to enjoy because you're just reading the author's self-isekai fanfic). Figure out early on what players you want to cater to. Figure out which kinks you want to fulfill. Then stick to them. Branching out will get you a few more players, but will slow you down. And see point #1 - once you finish the core game, you can possibly go back and add more in, or you can make another game with a different set of kinks & target audience.
Damned. That was a good one. I am working on my game since a year now (Emilie Finds a Way) and this is exactly what I was thinking. I thought i could finish in just one year, but this took me way longer than expected ^^. Still 3 chapters to go !

This game here got a lot of potential, i love the pics and the way it is built.
Go simple, go deep, and enjoy making every second of it !

Tmtmtm

Aug 16, 2017
This is the only place. We don't post anywhere else. And I do read every post in this thread, whether I'm tagged or quoted or not. We have thought about opening a public discord server, but haven't done that so far.
In theory we could give regular status updates on how things are progressing and post new art and stuff like that. Most other game devs do that to keep their paying subscribers satisfied in-between updates, but that doesn't mean that we can't do that also. Dunno. At the moment there isn't much to report on anyways. I took a long break from writing last month, but now I'm back at it. The next chapter has been fullly conceptualized and now we're working to implement it.
It's going to take us quite a while. Chapter 2 will be longer and more open. The main story will remain linear, but there will be more stuff to do around it. Many more locations, a few more characters, new game mechanics. Even if we release the chapter in parts, don't expect an update this month.

And thanks for the kinds words.
Is there any chance for the story (on Ao3 correct?) to be updated faster than the game? It's very enjoyable.

Jan 3, 2021
Is there incest with Lady Jess and Paul in this release? That's a very good looking rendering of her. Reverend Mother is also perfect. Also, any walkthrough?

Btw, I have some advice. Make the Reverend Mother Jessica's mother and Paul's grandmother but keep it a secret for a while. I think there's an author that did that in a non-canon story. That would make the wincest even more spicy.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018
Is there incest with Lady Jess and Paul in this release? That's a very good looking rendering of her. Reverend Mother is also perfect. Also, any walkthrough?

Btw, I have some advice. Make the Reverend Mother Jessica's mother and Paul's grandmother but keep it a secret for a while. I think there's an author that did that in a non-canon story. That would make the wincest even more spicy.
There is some light incest so far.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
No walkthrough needed at this point. The first chapter is very linear and the few optional scenes that are there, are hard to miss.

I know of that retcon and I very much dislike it. It contradicts established canon and doesn't make sense. I could make it make sense in this game, but I have already decided against it when I started the story. I think the power dynamic and antagonism between her and Jessica and Paul works better that way.

HentaiGamerN00b

Sep 6, 2020
There is some light incest so far.
Well... If we are "Breeding a Dynasty" it wouldn't be accurate if there's not in the game, after all, rulers through history had been dicks most of the time the records could allow to preserve, as mostly incest was a way of a means, the preserving of the power inside a family. In this context i could think this game would make much more sense than the original set history of Dune by Frank Herbert, specially considering of what Paul's son became after... That fucking worm...

Raggedydan13

Aug 8, 2017

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: Impregnator_Erectux

name

Mar 8, 2017
so how's progress coming? if that's okay to ask, i know you guys are working at your own pace and it's fine if there's nothing really to report on

Feb 20, 2022
Well... If we are "Breeding a Dynasty" it wouldn't be accurate if there's not in the game, after all, rulers through history had been dicks most of the time the records could allow to preserve, as mostly incest was a way of a means, the preserving of the power inside a family. In this context i could think this game would make much more sense than the original set history of Dune by Frank Herbert, specially considering of what Paul's son became after... That fucking worm...
You're disregarding a lot of things there. The personalization of politics made marriage the most common way to forge an alliance, and status did matter, as the story, too, states. If you're the dauphin of France, there are very few bachelors in Europe you could conceivably wed. After all, they do have to conceive, and with infant mortality being what is was, more than once. House Habsburg was the exception, not the rule. Bastards had been common.

Chinese Sons of Heaven and Turkish Sultans never bothered with it, taking dozens of concubines, but they ruled far more centralized realms, issuing their orders to bureaucrats, not barons.

Arnav Dasari

Sep 14, 2020
HeavyMetalSuizid said:
I concur with Spengler and am of the opinion that the arts have ceased to have any meaning hundreds of years ago. They are no longer cultural expressions. You can sit in your ivory tower and pretend Guernica mattered, but it did not.
This is the kind of discussion I come for to F95. Kudos to you.

lmno

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
Hello Dune Chads!

Just leaving a message here to let you know we are still actively developing the game. The process requires time but it'll be worth it.

For now I wanted to bring a question to you all:
We have been looking at developing/altering the artstyle of the game, I'll leave some example comparisons on this post of the new style I have been working on. This would require remaking almost all assets (not backgrounds) currently included in chapter one. The reason we've decided to do this is for increasing development speeds, the current artstyle requires a fair amount of tweaking and post-processing which we would like to streamline. This new artstyle has been chosen as each image will need less tweaking and manual editing to produce something of higher quality.

With regards to the images below, these new images have been UNEDITED so please ignore any minor errors that appear as these will be removed/fixed before release. (All the new images are in the same style, not multiple styles)

I'll also be creating a new poll in the thread so if you like what you see (or not), please vote!

Last edited:

greeneyed

Jul 30, 2017
Hello Dune Chads!

Just leaving a message here to let you know we are still actively developing the game. The process requires time but it'll be worth it.

We have been looking at developing/altering the artstyle of the game, I'll leave some example comparisons on this post of the new style I have been working on. This would require remaking almost all assets (not backgrounds) currently included in chapter one. The reason we've decided to do this is for increasing development speeds, the current artstyle requires a fair amount of tweaking and post-processing which we would like to streamline. This new artstyle has been chosen as each image will need less tweaking and manual editing to produce something of higher quality.

With regards to the images below, these new images have been UNEDITED so please ignore any minor errors that appear as these will be removed/fixed before release.

I'll also be creating a new poll in the thread so if you like what you see (or not), please vote!
I can't see a poll other than the original one about text-colour, but my opinion is I like both but prefer the original. BUT I would take the hit personally if it it vastly speeds up the progress (Since both still look good in my opinion, for whatever that's worth since opinion is purely subjective).

lmno

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2020
I can't see a poll other than the original one about text-colour, but my opinion is I like both but prefer the original. BUT I would take the hit personally if it it vastly speeds up the progress (Since both still look good in my opinion, for whatever that's worth since opinion is purely subjective).
Just waiting on mods to delete to old poll so I can make a new one. Because apparently thread owners can't remove their own polls.....

Balmung85

May 24, 2018
Hello Dune Chads!

With regards to the images below, these new images have been UNEDITED so please ignore any minor errors that appear as these will be removed/fixed before release.

For images 1 and 2, both styles are good.
In picture 3 I think the old style is much better. Looks more like a milf.

Burgundy

Jul 26, 2017
All the new images are in the same style
I think the answer is mostly along the lines of "it depends" I also prefer the new style in the first two examples but the older in the third. With that in mind if the new style reduces your workload I'd go for that since it's roughly an equal result for less work.

name

Mar 8, 2017
Hello Dune Chads!

With regards to the images below, these new images have been UNEDITED so please ignore any minor errors that appear as these will be removed/fixed before release. (All the new images are in the same style, not multiple styles)

i'll mirror what the others have said and say that i prefer the older style in the third picture by a lot, but for the other two i don't see too much difference. there's more detail in the older style but not so much that i would be confused if the artstyle suddenly shifted. i think the main area is the face, Jessica's face in the first pic is a lot more uniquely expressive old style.
it's up to you, like i said before the main thing with AI art is consistency. as long as the characters look consistent and don't change face and body shape every picture then i don't mind an art shift
i will say that i prefer the older style, even if it takes longer it is just straight up better

Finuee

Sep 14, 2022
My two cents: I'm game for whatever style is better for you, since both look good.

4.50 star(s) 10 Votes