3.50 star(s) 95 Votes

BGRW2020

Jul 8, 2020
Funny thing I know I previously turned down the mistresses blood but all of a sudden we meet in the kitchen and she tells me she likes me or else she would not have given me her blood - why are my choices being changed in game without asking?

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Funny thing I know I previously turned down the mistresses blood but all of a sudden we meet in the kitchen and she tells me she likes me or else she would not have given me her blood - why are my choices being changed in game without asking?
Walkthrough mod locks you in that path. It's designed to get the most scenes.

Jacky Bruce

Aug 12, 2017
Dusklight Manor Episode 9 old saves fix

This is a bug fix patch, which resolves the following issues in Episode 9:

1. Attempting to load saves from Episode 8 caused a rollback error, could not be used.
Fixed by restoring Episode 8 script.rpyc.
Credit to anne O'nymous notes on potential causes of broken saves and Penfold Mole existing work-around.

2. Exception when picking flowers (line 19613, in "game/script.rpy") as reported by cxx.
Fixed by adding missing open italics tag {i}.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Hey Guys /.,..

i have used my old ep.08 saves and save fix , still issue with loading game .Struck at home page without the options.
Any fix for this issue.

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
Hey Guys /.,..

i have used my old ep.08 saves and save fix , still issue with loading game .Struck at home page without the options.
Any fix for this issue.
No clue, all my ep 8 saves work with this fix. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Try Penfold Mold's workaround referenced in that post & see if that does the trick.

Otherwise fall back to earlier save from Ep 7 etc. if possible, otherwise you'll need to start again.

Reactions: Jacky Bruce
Jan 28, 2019
I appreciate the setting and plot. The game is certainly interesting.
But something does bug me.

In my current playthrough, I am doing no-sex. I am intentionally avoiding any options that lead to sex, mostly to see how it effects the story.
Even every time I kiss the girls in a required scene, I choose the option to back off.

So, the first issue is, it doesn't seem to matter. I don't know what the points for the girls is even worth, because their attitude and actions don't change. For another thing, there is a lot of implications in dialog that things have been sexual, even though they haven't.

The second issue is I am at the scene where Audrey has been informed about Lemon, and snuck her in ss she can shower, before pushing me into the bathroom with Lemon, to hide us from Lola. That lead to kissing Lemon, and fucking her in the bathroom. This makes it my first sex scene in the game. But all dialog forces the suggestion that we've been this intgimate before (she doesn't even question things and goes for it), and unlike every other option thus far, there was no option to NOT have sex.

I don't know if there is any point to pursuing, or more accurately, not pursuing, any of the girls. And if there are no consequences for pursuing them all, I have to wonder why even give choices, that don't seem to effect much in the way of dialog, or some upcoming end result.

Edit: Another dialog/continuity glitch. Spoliers again, sorry. After getting back to your room, you leave again to get some pizza. First, Clara makes it clear that you are to not have sex with the girls. Lurch said something similar earlier. But, in all honesty? I don't recall , other than those two instances, that being brought up. In your first meeting with Clara, I don't recall her saying such. This is, by far, the more minor issue, though.
The BIG issue is when she says "I like you, otherwise I wouldn't give you my blood," to which I replied "I really like the blood, and you, mistress."
The obvious issue is, I refused the blood. I never took it.

Edit: also "after what went down you and Audrey, it seems she's not happy about sharing."
No spoilers there, because no context and not needed. The bigger issue is, as I said, I was aiming for a no-sex run. NOTHING went down with me and Audrey. If changelog was written to say "the story is written to imply all sex happens, and after the game is complete, other dialog and branches will be added," that's one thing. But it seems that the game's script was written under the assumption sex would happen, so it lacks dialog and script for if you choose not to.

Last edited:

Banshee647

Oct 29, 2017
I appreciate the setting and plot. The game is certainly interesting.
But something does bug me.

In my current playthrough, I am doing no-sex. I am intentionally avoiding any options that lead to sex, mostly to see how it effects the story.
Even every time I kiss the girls in a required scene, I choose the option to back off.

So, the first issue is, it doesn't seem to matter. I don't know what the points for the girls is even worth, because their attitude and actions don't change. For another thing, there is a lot of implications in dialog that things have been sexual, even though they haven't.

The second issue is I am at the scene where Audrey has been informed about Lemon, and snuck her in ss she can shower, before pushing me into the bathroom with Lemon, to hide us from Lola. That lead to kissing Lemon, and fucking her in the bathroom. This makes it my first sex scene in the game. But all dialog forces the suggestion that we've been this intgimate before (she doesn't even question things and goes for it), and unlike every other option thus far, there was no option to NOT have sex.

I don't know if there is any point to pursuing, or more accurately, not pursuing, any of the girls. And if there are no consequences for pursuing them all, I have to wonder why even give choices, that don't seem to effect much in the way of dialog, or some upcoming end result.

Edit: Another dialog/continuity glitch. Spoliers again, sorry. After getting back to your room, you leave again to get some pizza. First, Clara makes it clear that you are to not have sex with the girls. Lurch said something similar earlier. But, in all honesty? I don't recall , other than those two instances, that being brought up. In your first meeting with Clara, I don't recall her saying such. This is, by far, the more minor issue, though.
The BIG issue is when she says "I like you, otherwise I wouldn't give you my blood," to which I replied "I really like the blood, and you, mistress."
The obvious issue is, I refused the blood. I never took it.

Edit: also "after what went down you and Audrey, it seems she's not happy about sharing."
No spoilers there, because no context and not needed. The bigger issue is, as I said, I was aiming for a no-sex run. NOTHING went down with me and Audrey. If changelog was written to say "the story is written to imply all sex happens, and after the game is complete, other dialog and branches will be added," that's one thing. But it seems that the game's script was written under the assumption sex would happen, so it lacks dialog and script for if you choose not to.
Are you using the walkthrough mod in your plays? If so then it automatically chooses the blood storyline.

Jan 28, 2019
Are you using the walkthrough mod in your plays? If so then it automatically chooses the blood storyline.
I am... but that answer confuses me even more.
I still chose the option to NOT accept the blood. A walkthru mod just tells you what the choices are, they don't force you on a path unless you actually pick tha associated choices.
That's why I was "sex-less" up until that point. The mod indicates which choices lead to points or scenes, but I can choose to not pick those choices.

Are you saying the walkthru mod makes a change that forces me into the blood path, even if I intentionally picked to avoid that choice?

Banshee647

Oct 29, 2017
I am... but that answer confuses me even more.
I still chose the option to NOT accept the blood. A walkthru mod just tells you what the choices are, they don't force you on a path unless you actually pick tha associated choices.
That's why I was "sex-less" up until that point. The mod indicates which choices lead to points or scenes, but I can choose to not pick those choices.

Are you saying the walkthru mod makes a change that forces me into the blood path, even if I intentionally picked to avoid that choice?
The walkthrough mod will change all events past your choices to provide the ones with the most scenes.

ak217

Nov 22, 2017
No clue, all my ep 8 saves work with this fix. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Try Penfold Mold's workaround referenced in that post & see if that does the trick.

Otherwise fall back to earlier save from Ep 7 etc. if possible, otherwise you'll need to start again.
The workaround does not work with saves if you used Walkthrough mod in previous episodes.
I was able to make it work with Walkthrough mod. Basically I manually merged the script from that workaround with the script from the mod.
I have successfully loaded save from Ep.8 that I played with Walkthrough mod and I can see highlighted items in menus in the new episode.

Reactions: Meushi

kotte

Feb 11, 2018

1. Attempting to load saves from Episode 8 caused a rollback error, could not be used.
Credit to anne O'nymous notes on potential causes of broken saves and Penfold Mole existing work-around.

2. Exception when picking flowers (line 19613, in "game/script.rpy") as reported by cxx.
There is something wierd here, it is only the compiled script (script.rpyc) that fixes the save bug. In the script.rpy file, there is only the fix for picking flowers.
Or to put it another way: Putting only script.rpyc in the game folder fixes the bug, putting only script.rpy there, and letting Ren'Py create the rpyc file for me, still has the bug in.

So the rpyc file is not the same version as the rpy?

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
There is something wierd here, it is only the compiled script (script.rpyc) that fixes the save bug. In the script.rpy file, there is only the fix for picking flowers.
Or to put it another way: Putting only script.rpyc in the game folder fixes the bug, putting only script.rpy there, and letting Ren'Py create the rpyc file for me, still has the bug in.

So the rpyc file is not the same version as the rpy?
The rpyc is 'the same version as the rpy', it was recompiled after the bug fix for the flowers. But because it's based on the Ep 8 rpyc, it still fixes the old saves (the internal IDs in the rpyc still match for the old Ep 8 saves).

Which is why the installation instructions say: copy script.rpy and script.rpyc. Copy both files and it fixes both issues (unless your saves are from a modded game, which probably needs a different rpyc as starting point).

If you only copy over the rpy, you get the flowers fix, but the Ep 8 saves are still borked because it's using the rpyc which shipped with Ep 9 as the starting point when it's recompiled, which is the bit that causes the broken Ep 8 saves.

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
I think the real reason why you guys ended up fixing the rollback errors is from the fact that you went back to the episode 8 install with the episode 9 script.rpy script to recompile the bytecode file script.rpyc. When I ran meld on your updated episode 9 script with the one in my episode 9 install I saw only the properly balanced italicized dialog line as the one change. So I only copied over the script.rpy to allow my renpy to recompile the bytecode. Instant load failure results. Grabbing both the rpy and rpyc files allows the load to happen.

This tells me that the dev updated the embedded renpy/python interpreters between eps 8 and 9, and that one of the changes between those two versions probably updated the game state data marshaling mechanism used by rollback in an incompatible way. Using the episode 8 environment forces the produced rpyc file to refer to the old shared libraries and code and thus stay compatible.

It would be interesting to see what would happen by just taking the game folder out of episode 9, trashing all rpyc files in it and then plunking everything down into a fresh project created by a current renpy sdk install. I've only had to do this a couple of times with versions of games where the author used a renpy sdk that had issues with X11 on LInux causing the game to immediately crash on startup.

Note: This fix has only been tested with Ep. 8 saves from the standard game.
It might not work with saves created with mods.
It's reportedly possible to work around the problem for modded saves however.

Note: This fix has only been tested with Ep. 8 saves from the standard game.
It might not work with saves created with mods.
It's reportedly possible to work around the problem for modded saves however.

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
I think the real reason why you guys ended up fixing the rollback errors is from the fact that you went back to the episode 8 install with the episode 9 script.rpy script to recompile the bytecode file script.rpyc. When I ran meld on your updated episode 9 script with the one in my episode 9 install I saw only the properly balanced italicized dialog line as the one change. So I only copied over the script.rpy to allow my renpy to recompile the bytecode. Instant load failure results. Grabbing both the rpy and rpyc files allows the load to happen.
As I said in the original post you quoted, just took episode 8 script.rpyc + episode 9 script.rpy (with that italics edit).

Then ran the game so Ren'Py recompiled the old rpyc with the new stuff from fixed episode 9 script.rpy. But this leaves the old AST internal ids in the rpyc alone mostly, so the ids in this rpyc still match the ids in the old Ep 8 saves allowing you to load them.

I'm no Rn'Py expert, but from what I understand when you load a save, Ren'Py matches the AST internal ids in it against the rpyc, which is how it works out what scene to present. If it can't find a match, it rolls back looking for something earlier that matches.

Which is presumably why when you load a save after an update, it often loads a few scenes before the point you originally saved at. This is probably also why Ep 7 saves still work with the standard Ep 9 release, whatever the dev did to mess with the rpyc didn't alter the internal ids that far back.

If there are big differences between the save and rpyc internal ids then it can't find anywhere to rollback to & crashes.

Deleting the rpyc and rebuilding it from the rpy will result in big differences in the internal ids, which is why this is likely to break old saves (as noted in one of the links in the post you quoted).

I imagine an extended discussion of the inner workings of Ren'Py is a bit outside the scope of this thread though, so might be more appropriate to take that to Off Topic or the Dev sections. Don't want to bore eveyone else to tears.

Reactions: Penfold Mole
3.50 star(s) 95 Votes