Ren'Py Early life crisis (a mid life crisis fan game) update#4 Oct 5/24

Noegrets

May 29, 2019
Thanks for the feed back! I’m glad you liked it.

I just upped chapter one this week (which is old chapter one and half of old chapter two) was looking for feedback or suggestions on my issues. like animation and alternative images.

I can post chapter two (old second half 2 and 3) without the animation soon if no one here has any developing exp.

any obvious spelling or continuity issues? Bad renders or mismatched text? I want to get out wrinkles before I post on main page. :)

thanks

I don't see a link to chapter 2 if thats what you mean. I played ch 1 though and enjoyed it. Its nice to see something new from this game even if it's not the OG

Noegrets

May 29, 2019
I think I fixed the animation issues. Seems loading image is taking more than a gig of ram? Found a way to drop it to 6 megs. But takes an hour of ‘rendering‘ on my cpu for each animation.

Reactions: mofonistik

Kri128

Mar 12, 2024
I couldn't download it. Very slow loading. Could you place the game somewhere else?

AllNatural939

I am the bad guy?
Game Developer
Apr 3, 2024
Do you want real feedback? I'm surprised that no one has said anything in all this time... Everyone just plays without giving any help.
Okay, stand firm. I've only been playing for 5 minutes but I have some things to say before I forget them...
The menu, the preferences section. The color change you chose is bad because some texts get confused with the background image. You want to make everything easily visible at all times.
Do you want people to be glued to the screen for a while? Then help them do that instead of making things harder.
The colors of the character names also get lost in the background quite often. You should seriously think about putting text with borders on the names.
The system you chose to rename or not the characters is bad. If I press ENTER to not make changes to names, what happens is that I get a blank name, not the default name.

And the last thing for now... The dialogues.
Sorry but you need to redo them and understand why. "Thoughts" are used as a way to express internal dialogues of the characters, not as a place to narrate actions... To narrate actions, the "Narrator" is used, not the thoughts of a character. The Narrator can also be the main character, but his/her narrated actions cannot have a place within the "thoughts". Very often you are also mixing things that the friend should say with text that should be narrated and also with thoughts of the protagonist.

I keep playing to see what else I can get...

EDIT: Ok, I'm done...
Too much bringing up the "19 years old" thing. People don't go around saying every 2 minutes "I'm 19 years old".
Two gigs for 15 or 20 minutes of gameplay... That's too much. In my game I've just reached 1 gig and that's over 3 hours of gameplay... and it's not even fully optimized yet. There's still a lot more that can be done.

That's all.
Obviously it's up to you whether or not to make changes... Good luck with everything. ;)

Last edited:

Noegrets

May 29, 2019
Thanks so much! I will review colors and name plates.
I am surprised the naming isn’t working for you as I always use default names and they work. The naming system I believed was the standard renpy one.

I can try to work on the narration part. I am not sure exactly how you think I change it, but I can understand it needs improvement. I will try to get rid of thoughts when narrating.

AllNatural939

I am the bad guy?
Game Developer
Apr 3, 2024
;)
Thanks so much! I will review colors and name plates.
I am surprised the naming isn’t working for you as I always use default names and they work. The naming system I believed was the standard renpy one.

I can try to work on the narration part. I am not sure exactly how you think I change it, but I can understand it needs improvement. I will try to get rid of thoughts when narrating.
The name change problem. You know what to do. People don't. The normal thing when faced with the possibility is to skip the process by simply pressing Enter. If I press Enter I get a "no name", nothing, an empty space. The correct procedure in this case is to click with the mouse and when the blinking cursor appears press Enter and the default name is applied... But that blinking cursor is almost invisible because you have some serious visibility problems all around. I've edited my first post, just in case.

Noegrets

May 29, 2019
Unfortunately I have no coding background so it’s easy for me to miss stuff. I also discovered my computer displays all the colors as black. Weird.
However, I have fixed the name error, and attached corrections with a reduction in age usage. Other script changes will take longer.

Will re-upload the whole smaller game soon. have identified the error with the final size and can fix that. The animation folder unfortunately had some uncompressed png 4K versions of the images. My game folder is 16gb right now so i thought it seemed big but not crazy :/

But I really want to fix my animation issue. Here it is as an unsupported webp :(
View attachment fantasyani.webp

Thanks again for the help!! Game will be improving quickly with your support.

Last edited:
Reactions: mofonistik

Noegrets

May 29, 2019
Thanks again! Took me way too long to fix it, but it's done. Can I ask what program you use to make animations?
My animations Seem to crash computers when i just load the images with renpy (70x .5mb images).

The name change problem. You know what to do. People don't. The normal thing when faced with the possibility is to skip the process by simply pressing Enter. If I press Enter I get a "no name", nothing, an empty space. The correct procedure in this case is to click with the mouse and when the blinking cursor appears press Enter and the default name is applied... But that blinking cursor is almost invisible because you have some serious visibility problems all around. I've edited my first post, just in case.

AllNatural939

I am the bad guy?
Game Developer
Apr 3, 2024
Thanks again! Took me way too long to fix it, but it's done. Can I ask what program you use to make animations?
My animations Seem to crash computers when i just load the images with renpy (70x .5mb images).
Do you mean creating videos? Nothing. I'm also just using Renpy to display the animations. At the moment I have fairly basic animations and they don't give me any problems. In the version that is already available for my Patrons and that will be released publicly in two weeks, I have more complex animations in 30 FPS, but they also use Renpy... and I haven't had any problems with them even though my computer is a toaster.
That said, I use webp images in those animations that don't exceed 250 kb each (1920 x 1080).

AllNatural939

I am the bad guy?
Game Developer
Apr 3, 2024
Do you mean creating videos? Nothing. I'm also just using Renpy to display the animations. At the moment I have fairly basic animations and they don't give me any problems. In the version that is already available for my Patrons and that will be released publicly in two weeks, I have more complex animations in 30 FPS, but they also use Renpy... and I haven't had any problems with them even though my computer is a toaster.
That said, I use webp images in those animations that don't exceed 250 kb each (1920 x 1080).
Here is a sample. I did it quickly recently, online. The result in renpy with the direct images using ATL is better than this, much smoother...

View attachment ezgif.com-webp-maker-1.webp

Noegrets

May 29, 2019
Interesting. I will have to put more time into my renpy animation trouble shooting. The one I posted as a combined webp is the one I can’t get renpy to load as 70 individual webp images. :/ I have a separate animation.rpy i was using that initially seemed to work well.

thanks so much for the extra feedback and example. I really appreciate the time you have given me.

Last edited:
Reactions: AllNatural939

AllNatural939

I am the bad guy?
Game Developer
Apr 3, 2024
Interesting. I will have to put more time into my renpy animation trouble shooting. The one I posted as a combined webp is the one I can’t get renpy to load as 70 individual webp images. :/ I have a separate animation.rpy i was using that initially seemed to work well.

thanks so much for the extra feedback and example. I really appreciate the time you have given me.
Something in your code might be wrong, or maybe the images are too heavy... Ok anyway, to give you an idea, the whole point of showing an animation (a sequence of images) is super simple... Let's say you have 10 images of an animation, I'm going to call them anim_01, anim_02, anim_03 and so on. In a separate file that I'm going to name "animations" for this case, I write the following:
Code:
image whatever:
    "anim_01"
    "anim_02"
    "anim_03"
    "anim_04"
    "anim_05"
    "anim_06"
and so on until I get to the last one...
The 0.04 is a small pause between each image. If you don't use a pause there is no animation and you'll only see the last image. In your code, wherever you want to show the animation, just use "show" and then the name you gave to that animation. In this example it would be "show whatever" (without the quotation marks) and that's it...

Reactions: Noegrets

Noegrets

May 29, 2019
I think i might have it working. any suggestions on how to label narrator? Just leave it unlabeled?

Noegrets

May 29, 2019
Posted update :)

Ps: I will make sure to add you to my thanks list before I send the vn to the latest updates page allnatural939. I forgot to update it for this release. Thanks again for all the help

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSidewinder

AllNatural939

I am the bad guy?
Game Developer
Apr 3, 2024
Oh, don't worry. It's not necessary, just remember that in the future you could also help someone.

Baronluck

Sep 26, 2024
My first impression was how quiet the game was. Music or ambience would add so much to the atmosphere, so I'd probably do that first. SFX can be added later.

Some of Christine's fingering animations were smooth, so nice job there. What tool do you use for animation? And what tool did you use to draw the cum?

For the names, I'd suggest using Christine instead of Christine's Thoughts, and just use italics every time she's thinking. It would be smoother that way.

I never played Midlife Crisis so I don't know if there was choices in the game, but I think your game could improve a lot with choices. Here are some examples I quickly came up with. Choosing to:
- Tell Sarah to be quiet if she's talking too loudly
- Talk loudly to make sure Steve hears
- Touch his dick at the hotel
- Take off your top at the hotel
- Move closer to the balcony to hear better
- Taste the cum or not
- Walk in front of Steve at the pool

Ultimately, these choices would improve or reduce the player's chances of getting with Steve or how much they can do with Steve. Or possibly get with Sarah as well. There are so many ways to put players in a situation where they risk getting a negative response from Sarah or Steve. It would create tension and help players get invested in the story by letting them decide what to do next.

Most of the writing is ok, you probably just need an editor and maybe a game designer to help plan out the scene choices.

I also hit an error, so I attached the error log. I was still able to continue after clicking a few times.