Hexagon_

Sep 16, 2017
View attachment 294167

The exe gets 14 warnings under VirusTotal. Possible to get the game uploaded from another source ?
If you look into what those results actually are they're for heuristic & low score Trojan's which are essentially reputation scores based on a low confidence in the hash being legitimate due to it not being seen previously. In general basically a useless detection.

Reactions: Amariithynar

ThisIsMe88

May 12, 2018
If you look into what those results actually are they're for heuristic & low score Trojan's which are essentially reputation scores based on a low confidence in the hash being legitimate due to it not being seen previously. In general basically a useless detection.
Again, the thing that had my attention was that absolutely NO other Renpy game on this site had received so many warnings before, and none that triggered decent/recommended AV engines as the ones I referenced.

Now I know this is a Steam game, and as such might have needed some "adjustments" in the exe itself to work outside of the DRM, but I doubt it since I didn't spot anything specific pertaining to Steam like DLLs. There are tons of Steam games which work just fine once "extracted", and most Renpy games probably count among them.

It takes time, technical skill and a need to build or implement a piracy protection measure. Most Renpy games authors use that engine precisely because they do not have it. They have no multi-player, they have simple and low budget games, etc., which also makes them a prime target for viruses by the way.

If low confidence scores by poor detection engines probably could be discarded, I would not advise to do the same with reputation scores provided by better engines which have strong and tested databases, especially if they all identify the same Trojan family. If you want to encourage people to download stuff and expect nothing to ever happen feel free to do so : people do with their systems what they want to do after all.

I honestly fail to see your point in arguing over this. The uploader provided another, healthier game archive, which is all that matters. As far as I'm concerned, the matter is closed. Maybe we can go back to talking about the game in this thread instead.

Reactions: demoka