VN Ren'Py Echoes of the Past [V0.1] [SpectralByte]

shitass1001

Jun 8, 2021
Ok, I read it, ok start. I think some things need to change in the OP post though, like a real description of the story, and the planned tags.

The good: The visuals are pretty solid, The women look good, especially Abby. The pacing seems to be pretty quick, which hopefully should keep the story interesting. The is a story, it isn't the most interesting but it exists. The sets look like they are custom.

The bad: it all feels a bit formulaic, while yes there is a story, it isn't really interesting. The narrator is clearly written by AI, its extremely wordy for no reason, and it clashes with the rather plain writing of the characters.
The dialogue doesn't really feel that believable, they are words that people would say, but it just doesn't come across well when put together.
The initial release is really small, which means we dont really get a good feel of who the characters are, or their motivations, it still feels like things just 'happen', the MC applies for a job at his dads old company, Abby rubs one out after seeing the MCs boner, Linda is completely ok with the MC watching her shower, but why do they do this? Is it really just because they are turned on by him? Linda flirts with the MC on their first encounter in this game, it would be nice to see at least one or two normal interactions between them, where there isn't the air of "I wanna fuck you", it comes across as stunted, like why did they choose that time in specific to start being attracted to the MC?
There are grammar errors abound in the second half, its all understandable, but its still noticeable.

My unsolicited advice to the Dev: Drop the AI, only use it to spell check and grammar check your writing. The best part about the writing of the best projects on this site is often how the Devs personality comes across in their writing, personality that would get removed if they wrote with with AI.
keep going, a lot of great projects had rough starts, I hope to see you improve in the future

MrBenny

Jul 20, 2021
Hello and thanks. yes i know there are many tags missing right now and i will fix it in the next days. upcoming kinks will include: voyeurism , anal, male domination, female domination, foot fetish, etc. those fetishes will be included in the next version.
Thanks for letting us know more details... But I'd like to suggest that you consider using a popular gene section format that many other popular title's use. It can be used as a "one stop glance" for finding out if and how a title's kink content will be handled. As well it can answer many of the same repeated questions that WILL happen in the forms (it can save time having to repeatedly answer the same questions).

This example is from a new developers first time title... it's from Grandma's House. But it's also important to let players and potential players know if some of the controversial kink content (NTR, Femdon, sharing / swinging, feet fetish, etc.) will be avoidable and not just skippable. (Avoidable=Never happens Skippable=Still happens, but off camera....as this can cause huge issues with a title's interest for many who don't like seeing some content.)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Regards,

Last edited:

SpectralByte

Game Developer
Aug 26, 2024
Thank you, everyone. I’ve read all your comments and will take everything into consideration. As many of you guessed, this is my first game, and I’m aware it has flaws. I’m committed to fixing them. This was more of a test build to see how players would react to the renders, characters, and story. Now I have a better idea of what needs improvement and change.
I plan to release the next build in the middle of, or at least by the end of, next month. I promise the story will be much better and more refined. As for the tags and description I’ll update them after I get my developer tag and ownership of this thread.
Thanks again, I really appreciate all your critiques and comment.

AlBetGam

Feb 22, 2018
SpectralByte said:
In Echoes of the Past, your choices matter. Step into a narrative-driven experience where every decision you make influences the story's direction. With multiple paths to explore, the outcome of your adventure depends on your actions. Will you find love, friendship, or power? Or will your decisions lead you down a darker road? Every playthrough offers a new experience, making no two games the same. Are you ready to shape your destiny?
Dev, please do yourself the favor of including a real description of your game. This overview contains exactly zero information. Who are we playing as? What's he doing? Who are his love interests? What happens in the game? There's no way to tell any of that from your description here. And the default option for most people when presented with a game and no descriptive information is to ignore it.

Edit: My bad, you posted your comment while I was typing this one.

flaviopaganini

Feb 25, 2024
Thank you, everyone. I’ve read all your comments and will take everything into consideration. As many of you guessed, this is my first game, and I’m aware it has flaws. I’m committed to fixing them. This was more of a test build to see how players would react to the renders, characters, and story. Now I have a better idea of what needs improvement and change.
I plan to release the next build in the middle of, or at least by the end of, next month. I promise the story will be much better and more refined. As for the tags and description I’ll update them after I get my developer tag and ownership of this thread.
Thanks again, I really appreciate all your critiques and comment.
In this version, do the choices you make really have a full impact on the game as stated in the Overview? Because I think you are taking on a big responsibility by saying this: ' Every playthrough offers a new experience, making no two games the same. Are you ready to shape your destiny '.

SpectralByte

Game Developer
Aug 26, 2024
In this version, do the choices you make really have a full impact on the game as stated in the Overview? Because I think you are taking on a big responsibility by saying this: ' Every playthrough offers a new experience, making no two games the same. Are you ready to shape your destiny '.
there is affection system in a game, making certain choices either increase or decrease different characters affection towards you which will have different outcome in some situations, even in this version if your affection towards Linda isn't high enough she will get angry at you when you peek on her. for now those choices wont have major impact on story.

Reactions: Saint Blackmoor

goulet1995

Sep 30, 2021
there is affection system in a game, making certain choices either increase or decrease different characters affection towards you which will have different outcome in some situations, even in this version if your affection towards Linda isn't high enough she will get angry at you when you peek on her. for now those choices wont have major impact on story.
need more info on tags before id try this what planned what tags will never happen are there planned tags we can avoid with in game choices. like will this be a solo LI game or harem. I dislike lesbian/ bi stuff so if that is planned can it be avoided.

Reactions: qaywsx and MrBenny

Saint Blackmoor

Saint and Sinner
Donor
Oct 26, 2017
need more info on tags before id try this what planned what tags will never happen are there planned tags we can avoid with in game choices. like will this be a solo LI game or harem. I dislike lesbian/ bi stuff so if that is planned can it be avoided.
SpectralByte, for the love of your sanity, do not try to answer this guy. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SpectralByte

Leelaverse

May 24, 2021
Overall the plot so far is pretty basic plot that we have seen before, which there isn't anything wrong with it, will see how the dev can make it stand out though. The renders look nice, and I do find the characters interesting and attractive which is a big plus, and there are a decent amount of options for an initial release.

My biggest issue is the laziness in the writing, on top of the annoying over-writing in the narration at the start. Seeing things like "btw" just personally puts me off, writing "thou" because an addition two letters must be to long, and etc.

SpectralByte

Game Developer
Aug 26, 2024
Overall the plot so far is pretty basic plot that we have seen before, which there isn't anything wrong with it, will see how the dev can make it stand out though. The renders look nice, and I do find the characters interesting and attractive which is a big plus, and there are a decent amount of options for an initial release.

My biggest issue is the laziness in the writing, on top of the annoying over-writing in the narration at the start. Seeing things like "btw" just personally puts me off, writing "thou" because an addition two letters must be to long, and etc.
Yes I agree, I’m actively working on improving the story, and you’ll see those changes in the next version. The plot is going to evolve, and there are some twists planned that might happen in the upcoming release.

Rockero_69

Sep 26, 2021
Hello and thanks. yes i know there are many tags missing right now and i will fix it in the next days. upcoming kinks will include: voyeurism , anal, male domination, female domination, foot fetish, etc. those fetishes will be included in the next version.
So will there be a harem? And is the content forced or can it be avoided? This is what I mean by some fetishes or tags that sometimes appear in the game that are not to everyone's liking, especially lesbians, NTR, femdom, etc.

holaje12

Dec 17, 2018
Yes I agree, I’m actively working on improving the story, and you’ll see those changes in the next version. The plot is going to evolve, and there are some twists planned that might happen in the upcoming release.
Hi, would like to know if tou are planning to add ntr/sharing/swinging or any other content that would have the LIs having sex with other characters that are not the MC. :unsure:

Reactions: EJW

SpectralByte

Game Developer
Aug 26, 2024
So will there be a harem? And is the content forced or can it be avoided? This is what I mean by some fetishes or tags that sometimes appear in the game that are not to everyone's liking, especially lesbians, NTR, femdom, etc.
Hello, so far no plans for NTR or lesbian, as for femdom and such stuff that may not be everyone’s liking it can be avoided. I’m not sure about harem yet.