RPGM Complete [English Translation] [Patch] SEQUEL blight [1.3.0]

4.00 star(s) 4 Votes

sub-par

Jan 8, 2018
This week, an enormous patch. My translation hips are moving on their own. My mind melts, my body melts; I become one with the translation. What is a foot, compared to a dick; What is a thought, compared to a mind? Chapter 4 and the rest of the events in it have been translated. Also, chapter 5 and its events while I was at it. Updating the OP momentarily.

Version 0.6.1:

Notes:
  • Hakika-sensei posted basic information about ASYLUM. I've attached a summary of it in this post under the spoiler. It also confirmed the obvious, that the premise in SEQUEL games is that the protagonist = player. As such I feel vindicated to have used the "you" pronoun.
  • Translating Lilia's gifting was kind of pointless to do now since the character is inaccessible before a certain point later, but I wanted to clear my notes file of the gift stuff that takes too much space.
  • Did you know? There's nothing that makes you question your life choices quite like staying up late to pro bono translate a scene that contains the rich odor of a foot and hips moving on their own.
  • Speaking of scenes, I've been thinking about dick. You may be familiar with the word おちんちん [ochinchin], sometimes written without the letter o. It makes some appearances in the text, and I chose to use the word "dick". I'm not happy with that, I think it's too rough of a word. But I feel that the usual translations like "weenie", "willy", or "pee-pee" are way too childish for the situation. Prick? Knob? Cock? Wang? Dong? Schlong? Pecker? Dingus?? Hyper weapon??? Bepis???? I can't decide.
  • On a more serious note: there's a cryptic message on a grave that starts with "「At the end of the journey--」", and you should not think too hard about it at this point. It's almost certainly foreshadowing and I will probably need to change what it says to make sense later.

Thanks for your hard work! On a different note, I was wondering if you'd be working on the rest of the SEQUEL series.
I did post about this, but I suppose I should put that in the OP too. Apparently official English (and Chinese) versions of the SEQUEL series are in the works but there's not been any word about them since July when they were first mentioned.

As such, my stance on translating rest of the SEQUEL series is a definite maybe: it depends on when/if the official versions are coming out and whether or not the translation's good. Also I'll have to try the games for myself first; if they're a lot worse than blight then I won't do it. I don't think that will be the case, but still. Either way, after blight is done I'll be waiting a while to hear more news about the official translation instead of rushing in to work again.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

kratoscar2008

Sep 28, 2018
This week, an enormous patch. My translation hips are moving on their own. My mind melts, my body melts; I become one with the translation. What is a foot, compared to a dick; What is a thought, compared to a mind? Chapter 4 and the rest of the events in it have been translated. Also, chapter 5 and its events while I was at it. Updating the OP momentarily.

Version 0.6.1:

Notes:
  • Hakika-sensei posted basic information about ASYLUM. I've attached a summary of it in this post under the spoiler. It also confirmed the obvious, that the premise in SEQUEL games is that the protagonist = player. As such I feel vindicated to have used the "you" pronoun.
  • Translating Lilia's gifting was kind of pointless to do now since the character is inaccessible before a certain point later, but I wanted to clear my notes file of the gift stuff that takes too much space.
  • Did you know? There's nothing that makes you question your life choices quite like staying up late to pro bono translate a scene that contains the rich odor of a foot and hips moving on their own.
  • Speaking of scenes, I've been thinking about dick. You may be familiar with the word おちんちん [ochinchin], sometimes written without the letter o. It makes some appearances in the text, and I chose to use the word "dick". I'm not happy with that, I think it's too rough of a word. But I feel that the usual translations like "weenie", "willy", or "pee-pee" are way too childish for the situation. Prick? Knob? Cock? Wang? Dong? Schlong? Pecker? Dingus?? Hyper weapon??? Bepis???? I can't decide.
  • On a more serious note: there's a cryptic message on a grave that starts with "「At the end of the journey--」", and you should not think too hard about it at this point. It's almost certainly foreshadowing and I will probably need to change what it says to make sense later.

I did post about this, but I suppose I should put that in the OP too. Apparently official English (and Chinese) versions of the SEQUEL series are in the works but there's not been any word about them since July when they were first mentioned.

As such, my stance on translating rest of the SEQUEL series is a definite maybe: it depends on when/if the official versions are coming out and whether or not the translation's good. Also I'll have to try the games for myself first; if they're a lot worse than blight then I won't do it. I don't think that will be the case, but still. Either way, after blight is done I'll be waiting a while to hear more news about the official translation instead of rushing in to work again.

Damn the protag is thicc and sexy af. Its a shame that our protag wont pork her.
While im disappointed i cant get mad at Hakika since male protag games are rare as it is (moreso with no NTR or battle fuck) so i guess he needs a change of pace.
Thanks for the new update!

Reactions: sub-par

sub-par

Jan 8, 2018
How many chapters are in this game?
There are seven chapters in the base game's story.

In addition, there's postgame content: basically two shorter extra storylines of sorts. One of them is meant to be played before the other, so it wouldn't be totally inaccurate to say there's nine chapters.

sub-par

Jan 8, 2018
I've got a problem I need your feedback on. As you may have noticed, the miscellaneous character names can end up being quite long.

Right now I'm handling the extremely long names by putting one half on the next line. However, this looks bad and even I keep parsing them wrong: I often read the below example image's case #1 as someone called Succubus-style saying "Welcome, *giggle*...Shopkeeper" which is not ideal.

This cannot continue. I've made up three alternative ways to present the names, as seen in the below two images. (Don't mind the weird blueness, it's because I took these screenshots from RPGMaker editor's preview screen)

The problem case, long name:
multiname.gif
Short name versions (these all look fine to me):
singlename.gif

1. is how the names are displayed right now. It's especially bad in the edge case of the Beautiful Swordswoman, whose name is too long to have on a single line but whose second word is the longer one, so it looks multiple kinds of wrong.
  2. is the low-effort alternative. It doesn't take that much work to change, doesn't mess with the line lengths too badly, and makes my brain not think the second part of the name is a part of the spoken line. However, it makes the first line kind of unclear. Especially so with names that have three or more words like "Denizen of Darkness" whose names end up having spaces in the first line. It looks kinda bad too.
  3. is the high-effort alternative. The bracket quotes are a part of the Japanese keyboard layout and are full-width, meaning I have to use a mixture of full-width and half-width spaces to ensure the text remains aligned. It's not difficult, but having to repeatedly change the keyboard layout takes a bit more time. This looks fine and doesn't make the first line unclear because the brackets form a kind of an imaginary box.
  4. is the other high-effort alternative. The brackets are not quote brackets, but some fancy mathematical symbols that I will have to copy and paste in to construct large brackets. Or I'll have to learn the alt codes, but I doubt that's much faster. I don't think that this will take much more time than option #3 because I won't have to mess around with full-width spaces, but it's going to be a bit more of a pain in the ass because y'know, copypasting four symbols. This looks the best and clearest to me.
I'll do option #4 with no complaints if that's what y'all think looks the best, but I can do #3 too if that's what you prefer. Or #2 if, heaven forbid, you prefer that for some reason. I'm also open to other suggestions.

kratoscar2008

Sep 28, 2018
I've got a problem I need your feedback on. As you may have noticed, the miscellaneous character names can end up being quite long.

Right now I'm handling the extremely long names by putting one half on the next line. However, this looks bad and even I keep parsing them wrong: I often read the below example image's case #1 as someone called Succubus-style saying "Welcome, *giggle*...Shopkeeper" which is not ideal.

This cannot continue. I've made up three alternative ways to present the names, as seen in the below two images. (Don't mind the weird blueness, it's because I took these screenshots from RPGMaker editor's preview screen)

The problem case, long name:
View attachment 473368
Short name versions (these all look fine to me):
View attachment 473369

1. is how the names are displayed right now. It's especially bad in the edge case of the Beautiful Swordswoman, whose name is too long to have on a single line but whose second word is the longer one, so it looks multiple kinds of wrong.
  2. is the low-effort alternative. It doesn't take that much work to change, doesn't mess with the line lengths too badly, and makes my brain not think the second part of the name is a part of the spoken line. However, it makes the first line kind of unclear. Especially so with names that have three or more words like "Denizen of Darkness" whose names end up having spaces in the first line. It looks kinda bad too.
  3. is the high-effort alternative. The bracket quotes are a part of the Japanese keyboard layout and are full-width, meaning I have to use a mixture of full-width and half-width spaces to ensure the text remains aligned. It's not difficult, but having to repeatedly change the keyboard layout takes a bit more time. This looks fine and doesn't make the first line unclear because the brackets form a kind of an imaginary box.
  4. is the other high-effort alternative. The brackets are not quote brackets, but some fancy mathematical symbols that I will have to copy and paste in to construct large brackets. Or I'll have to learn the alt codes, but I doubt that's much faster. I don't think that this will take much more time than option #3 because I won't have to mess around with full-width spaces, but it's going to be a bit more of a pain in the ass because y'know, copypasting four symbols. This looks the best and clearest to me.
I'll do option #4 with no complaints if that's what y'all think looks the best, but I can do #3 too if that's what you prefer. Or #2 if, heaven forbid, you prefer that for some reason. I'm also open to other suggestions.
Number 4 is fine for me.
I didnt mind that much how it was so if the 4th one makes things easier and you are sattisfied with the results then thats fine.

kururuh

Nov 17, 2018
How about the name in a line and the text in the next line
Unbenannt.PNG
or is it not an option?
Number 4 is also fine for me.:)
And thanks alot for your work. You're doing great.

sub-par

Jan 8, 2018
How about the name in a line and the text in the next line
View attachment 473670
or is it not an option?
Number 4 is also fine for me.:)
And thanks alot for your work. You're doing great.
That looks good and would work most of the time, but occasionally characters have such long lines that I can't really afford to work with only three lines. It would eliminate a lot of the empty space on the left of the textbox though..but on shorter names (which most of the names are) it ends up using more space than it creates.

That did remind me though of the custom name window feature that the game's implemented, but unfortunately \NAME[name] doesn't seem to do anything with textboxes that don't have a picture. A shame, considering that it would really be the perfect solution to this small problem.

Mostly me wanting to change how names are presented is because of this:
f9b7920090.png
I really don't like how I have to occasionally put the name's colon on the second row. It does make sense because that's where the name ends, but in cases like the Succubus-style Shopkeeper the colon has to go after the first word because that's the longer one. It just bothers me and I dunno, this is probably the least important problem I've got going on. But I figured if I'm going to change the names anyway, it's less work if I start using the new format now.

And with that said, I think I'm going with option #4. Thanks for the feedback you two! But I'm not going out of my way just yet to change all the names I already did or my translation's going to grind to a halt while I do that. We can't have that while the story's approaching its ~exciting climax~. So next week any new conversations with side characters be in the new format, and I'll either gradually fix the rest or do it later along with the other less important business.

Also, I'd have to eventually edit the conversations anyway even if I didn't change the name presentation. Because I screwed up the spacing in half of them, being a fool who assumed that two half-width spaces are the same width as a single full-width space. Joke's on me I guess.

ragadiso

Dec 2, 2019
ehm i runned into a little problem when starting the game after patching it says that the game can not find Graphics/Damage/HP_Number

anyone know anything about this problem?

here's a photo from after removing Game.rgss3a and before removing it

Last edited:

sub-par

Jan 8, 2018
Keep up the good work!
Thank you for your kind words. The translation is progressing smoothly and I've already translated the story of chapters 6 and 7. I'll just have to finish the few bits of scenes that I skipped while I translated the events of chapter 6 so that the patch is in an acceptable condition. And probably also the few other scenes that doing those events unlocked...and the events that are available in town after chapter 7......and the scenes that doing *those* events unlocked...... ...Now that I think think about it, there's more than a few bits of scenes left. Why do I do this to myself. Should've stopped after chapter 6 like a reasonable person.

In other news, I've got an important question for everyone: Should the names of the main characters be adjusted? I found the very first illustrations hakika-sensei posted on the leaf geometry blog, and they happened to include names written with roman letters. I like to think that I did a decent job with the names, and hakika themselves have mentioned in a post that they're not good with English, but, well. They names are somewhat different:
  • Rabi Alunea: In-game ラビィ・アルナー [ravi arunaa], illustration has only surname Arna
By all rights, the surname shouldn't have ever had the U and should've always been Alnea. I chose the -ea ending because the surname had a long vowel in the end. In the case of Arna or Alna an English speaker would definitely read the last vowel as short.
You may notice that the first name could've used a V instead of a B. Some may even say it should use one. I say that the line between V and B is very ephemereal in Japanese, and Rabi likes carrots so that's reason enough for me to use a b. The other axis of change was the letter R: options for the first name were Rabi, Labi, Ravi, and Lavi in total. I objected to Labi on the grounds that it sounded too much like labia, so only Rabi was left.
  • Tirma Riema: In-game ティレマ・リエマ [tirema riema], illustration has only first name Tillema
There was no sign of a duplicate r in the in-game name. I chose to omit the e because Tirma rolled off the tongue better than Tirema. Also that kind of sounds like a tire brand. Or a tile brand, if I went for Tilema. Surname sounded acceptable as-is.
  • Nixryuuna: In-game ニクスリューナ [nikusuryuuna], illustration has only nickname Nyx
I considered using Nyx, but that makes the rest of the name look weird. Nyxryuuna? Too much y. Weird to pronounce. I also think that it makes the line between Nix and Ryuuna less distinctive for an English speaker. The nickname feels like a natural shortening of the name in Japanese, but if the English name was Nyxryuuna I feel like it wouldn't be surprising to parse the name as Nyxry-uuna. Or even Nyxr-yuuna.
  • Uula Gelato: In-game ウーラ・ジェラート [uura geraato], illustration has full name Ula Gelato
The first name has a long vowel in the start. Again, an English speaker would definitely read Ula with a The surname is an actual word, so that was easy. It's a loanword for the italian gelato ice cream.

I'm not sure what I should do. Except remove that u from Rabi's surname because fuck I first noticed I left that in when Gemina spoke her full name in the arena and it's been bugging me since. Changing all or some of the names to match what the author scribbled in the sketches back in 2016 would be mostly trivial. A search and replace works for all the names except Tillema, which is longer and therefore will mess with line breaks. And I may be a hack, but I'm a hack who keeps meticulous backups of files so changing the menu sprite name

But I'm not actually sure if I like the names in the illustrations? I think the only good one is Nyx if we forget about the issue with her full name. What do y'all think?

ehm i runned into a little problem when starting the game after patching it says that the game can not find Graphics/Damage/HP_Number

anyone know anything about this problem?

here's a photo from after removing Game.rgss3a and before removing it
Hmm. It looks like you either didn't extract your game files before applying the patch, or something went wrong while you were doing it. I'll try to guide you through the important bits. Luckily, you only have to do this once.

Here's the guide I should've quoted in my first post instead of linking to it:
  1. Download the decrypter at: (courtesy of some guy on reddit)
  2. Download and install the .net 4.0 framework if needed
  3. Run the decrypter.exe file you downloaded in step 1. I usually copy it in the game folder, since it's only 300 kB.
  4. Press "file", then "open archive" and navigate to your game folder and select the archive (.rgss file)
  5. Then press "Tools" and "Extract all files". The extractor will now start extraction. It will create a new folder in the same location as your archive with the name "extract". It will give you a message when it is ready.
  6. Cut the content of the "extract" folder when the extractor is done and paste it in your main game folder. This will most likely include the "graphics" folder. Overwrite where needed.
  7. Rename or remove the archive if you're adding translations. If you don't, then the archive will still have priority and nothing changes. This also saves a lot of disk space.
Steps 1-3 should be simple, but 4-6 are somewhat obtuse. Here are some screenshots to better guide you through the process (click to enlarge):

STEP 4) The decrypter has many options that are confusing, but only two of them are needed. Press the following button.
ab27697724.png
Next, navigate to where your copy of SEQUEL blight is, and select the Game.rgss3a file.
1f4a75b47d.png

STEP 5) The formerly empty area on the left should now have a lot of file names on it. Press the following option. The decrypter will extract the files quickly.
48851f531d.png

STEP 6) The extracted files are located in the the Extract\ folder which the decrypter creates. It's in the same folder as the decrypter.
22cd683154.png
In the case of SEQUEL blight, the folders Data\ and Graphics\ should be inside the Extract\ folder. Cut or copy these into the game's directory.
916d002778.png
Your game folder should look something like this. Now you can rename or delete the Game.rgss3a and apply the patch.
91d7467535.png

Does this help with your problem?

ZeroNoHero

Apr 25, 2019
Thank you for your kind words. The translation is progressing smoothly and I've already translated the story of chapters 6 and 7. I'll just have to finish the few bits of scenes that I skipped while I translated the events of chapter 6 so that the patch is in an acceptable condition. And probably also the few other scenes that doing those events unlocked...and the events that are available in town after chapter 7......and the scenes that doing *those* events unlocked...... ...Now that I think think about it, there's more than a few bits of scenes left. Why do I do this to myself. Should've stopped after chapter 6 like a reasonable person.

In other news, I've got an important question for everyone: Should the names of the main characters be adjusted? I found the very first illustrations hakika-sensei posted on the leaf geometry blog, and they happened to include names written with roman letters. I like to think that I did a decent job with the names, and hakika themselves have mentioned in a post that they're not good with English, but, well. They names are somewhat different:
  • Rabi Alunea: In-game ラビィ・アルナー [ravi arunaa], illustration has only surname Arna
By all rights, the surname shouldn't have ever had the U and should've always been Alnea. I chose the -ea ending because the surname had a long vowel in the end. In the case of Arna or Alna an English speaker would definitely read the last vowel as short.
You may notice that the first name could've used a V instead of a B. Some may even say it should use one. I say that the line between V and B is very ephemereal in Japanese, and Rabi likes carrots so that's reason enough for me to use a b. The other axis of change was the letter R: options for the first name were Rabi, Labi, Ravi, and Lavi in total. I objected to Labi on the grounds that it sounded too much like labia, so only Rabi was left.
  • Tirma Riema: In-game ティレマ・リエマ [tirema riema], illustration has only first name Tillema
There was no sign of a duplicate r in the in-game name. I chose to omit the e because Tirma rolled off the tongue better than Tirema. Also that kind of sounds like a tire brand. Or a tile brand, if I went for Tilema. Surname sounded acceptable as-is.
  • Nixryuuna: In-game ニクスリューナ [nikusuryuuna], illustration has only nickname Nyx
I considered using Nyx, but that makes the rest of the name look weird. Nyxryuuna? Too much y. Weird to pronounce. I also think that it makes the line between Nix and Ryuuna less distinctive for an English speaker. The nickname feels like a natural shortening of the name in Japanese, but if the English name was Nyxryuuna I feel like it wouldn't be surprising to parse the name as Nyxry-uuna. Or even Nyxr-yuuna.
  • Uula Gelato: In-game ウーラ・ジェラート [uura geraato], illustration has full name Ula Gelato
The first name has a long vowel in the start. Again, an English speaker would definitely read Ula with a The surname is an actual word, so that was easy. It's a loanword for the italian gelato ice cream.

I'm not sure what I should do. Except remove that u from Rabi's surname because fuck I first noticed I left that in when Gemina spoke her full name in the arena and it's been bugging me since. Changing all or some of the names to match what the author scribbled in the sketches back in 2016 would be mostly trivial. A search and replace works for all the names except Tillema, which is longer and therefore will mess with line breaks. And I may be a hack, but I'm a hack who keeps meticulous backups of files so changing the menu sprite name

But I'm not actually sure if I like the names in the illustrations? I think the only good one is Nyx if we forget about the issue with her full name. What do y'all think?

Hmm. It looks like you either didn't extract your game files before applying the patch, or something went wrong while you were doing it. I'll try to guide you through the important bits. Luckily, you only have to do this once.

Here's the guide I should've quoted in my first post instead of linking to it:

Steps 1-3 should be simple, but 4-6 are somewhat obtuse. Here are some screenshots to better guide you through the process (click to enlarge):

STEP 4) The decrypter has many options that are confusing, but only two of them are needed. Press the following button.
View attachment 477136
Next, navigate to where your copy of SEQUEL blight is, and select the Game.rgss3a file.
View attachment 477148

STEP 5) The formerly empty area on the left should now have a lot of file names on it. Press the following option. The decrypter will extract the files quickly.
View attachment 477139

STEP 6) The extracted files are located in the the Extract\ folder which the decrypter creates. It's in the same folder as the decrypter.
View attachment 477140
In the case of SEQUEL blight, the folders Data\ and Graphics\ should be inside the Extract\ folder. Cut or copy these into the game's directory.
View attachment 477141
Your game folder should look something like this. Now you can rename or delete the Game.rgss3a and apply the patch.
View attachment 477149

Does this help with your problem?
Your welcome!
And for your name question, personally, i like the name rabi, but my friend refuses to call her that, opting for lavie instead, so its up to you, until one of them becomes canon on the offical tl

• Thinking Face

kratoscar2008

Sep 28, 2018
Keep the names if you want.
The japanese are a little wonky with their english so for all we know Hakika doesnt knows what he is writing.
Besides it will make your TL unique in the case of a localization uses those romanizations.

Btw we already have some male characters art in Asylum. Kinda strange to see a male, guess they arent rare in the asylum.

• Thinking Face

kururuh

Nov 17, 2018
I like the name Tirema better than Tirma. I think that sounds better. But that's just my opinion. :)
For the other names, I agree with you. Even in german, i would write the names as you did.

• Thinking Face

sub-par

Jan 8, 2018
We did it! (Well, I did it.) I couldn't have done it without you! (Well, I mostly did.) Anyway, chapters 6 and 7 are translated. And a few events after 7. It's the exciting finale! I hope I did it justice. There's like what, about a third of the game left? Exciting. Updating the OP momentarily.

Important note: This patch, there are some scenes that are unlockable but not translated yet. Most notably, none of the scenes in your house are translated yet. Don't walk on the hearts. Don't touch that bed! You'll regret it!! Please don't look for the following unless your kink is untranslated porn:

Version 0.8.0:

What's next? Well, post-game content. This will take a while, there's a bunch. Helpfully, the strategy guide in the japanese Sequel Blight wiki (I know, I'm a google gamer) mentions that the difficulty of one post-game section is designed assuming the player has completed the other section. So, after finishing up some loose ends like the scenes mentioned above, the next stop is the quest line that begins by interacting with the sign outside Rabi's Office. The other side tasks that you might be tempted by right now - Events 068, 069 (nice), and the Great Arena stuff will be left for later.

Also, next week's patch will likely be considerably less gargantuan than these last two patches. I've got exams to not fail.

Less important notes & rambling:
  • Whatever you do, DON'T pay attention to the protagonist's body in the scene CG during event 054. There's something deeply wrong with that monstrosity.
  • In chapter 6 there's a callback to a line in chapter 1 that I didn't pay much attention to but it turned out to be important. It's been changed to fit the facts. Minor spoilers for where chapter 6 takes place:
  • There is an important decision in chapter 7 with multiple options that you can only choose one of. I am not going to keep five separate saves around to test every which way of dialogue. There'll probably be bits I missed because of this.
  • Hakika-sensei often has cool character and game design, they can write endearing characters and other dialogue generally on the good side of okay, but 狭い肉の穴 "narrow meat hole" is definitely the least erotic thing I've read all year. I feel like I need a mental health break after reading (and writing) that.
  • This note is a partial spoiler for the ending of chapter 7:

Other stuff:
Your welcome!
And for your name question, personally, i like the name rabi, but my friend refuses to call her that, opting for lavie instead, so its up to you, until one of them becomes canon on the offical tl
Lavie does sound like a decent name, but...it's not really ラヴィ, is it? The -ie sounds to me like a long vowel, which the name doesn't have. I'm going to have to disagree with your friend.

Keep the names if you want.
The japanese are a little wonky with their english so for all we know Hakika doesnt knows what he is writing.
Besides it will make your TL unique in the case of a localization uses those romanizations.

Btw we already have some male characters art in Asylum. Kinda strange to see a male, guess they arent rare in the asylum.
Yeah, hakika-sensei posts stuff on twitter relatively often. The Leaf Geometry blog had also a post describing the main character in more detail. I didn't consider it very important so I didn't mention it. Basically boiled down to "mystery character who's kinda childish and innocent, not bound by human ethics (maybe because she's not a human). Unaware of what sex even is, but quick to learn."

I like the name Tirema better than Tirma. I think that sounds better. But that's just my opinion. :)
For the other names, I agree with you. Even in german, i would write the names as you did.
Tirma's kind of a weird case where dropping the E makes the English pronunciation closer to what it is in Japanese. Because I suspect that Tirema gets read as tire-ma which is way off. And the E is pretty optional in the first place anyway, the sound's barely audible when you say it aloud unless you're spelling it out.

But Tirma's not so good either. I feel like the R makes the whole word head towards some weird pronunciation like cher-ma. Maybe it should've been an L all along. Tilma? That's pretty close. Till-ma. Hmm.

Name romanizations are an eternal headache.

sub-par

Jan 8, 2018
This week, I read a textbook, went through lecture notes and slides, and made up a mnemonic. Then I played Disco Elysium to unwind. Exams went okay, I hope. What, that's not what you wanted to hear about? The translation? Oh, right. There's a small patch. If last week's patch was a sunflower, this one's a dandelion. Updating the OP momentarily.

Important notes:
  • The post-game storyline that the translation effort is currently focusing on starts with the blue arrow on the sign outside Rabi's office. Once you've returned to Haven after completing the request, it continues at the park in Haven (the path west, near the northern exit).
  • Translation ends in Hidden Village Ashvale immediately after returning from Raktess Eastern Plains.
Version 0.8.1:

Less important notes:
  • Next week, there will be a new patch of some kind and it will probably be a larger one than this, because I'll have spare time to work with. The week after that there will be no patch! I'll be visiting my family over Christmas. Even if I had a laptop to work on, I'm never translating smut while my two nephews are hanging around. You get nothing for Christmas.
  • There are still some relatively easily accessible but untranslated scenes. But I did translate the text immediately preceding and following them, so you won't really miss anything even if you go and trigger them. As you can view them in the Memory Space whenever they get translated. I've still updated the list in the
  • The garbled messages in the computer in Mansion Cellar were originally mostly incomprehensible. They still are, so don't think about it too hard.
  • Today, I'm thinking about my flaws as a translator again. I've got into a bad habit of trying to reflect sentence-ending particles in my sentences just about every time they're used. It's not very good form. I don't think that every sentence needs to end in ", see?" or ", right?" or ", no?" or ", huh." or whatever. It should be enough to use them when they're needed and omit them the rest of the time. But, well. One-person projects and tunnel vision, you know? This is why editors exist. I guess I'll try to improve this situation eventually when everything's done and I can start a new playthrough to reread through all the bullshit that I wrote. It's basically a draft version of the game at this point, okay?
  • At this point I should probably admit that I have no idea what military ranks are and I'm not interested in learning. The marshal's the marshal and the commander's the commander, whether or not those are good translations or not.
  • I have to also admit I gave 0 thought to the name problem this week. And the dick problem. I've been busy okay? It's not like I thought I should focus on getting the most accessible H-scenes out of the way first or anything, you dummy!!

ASYLUM
Hakika-sensei posted about ASYLUM again (on the 7th). Here's a brief summary:
  • The game will be more freeform in exploration than the SEQUEL games. You can ignore bosses and head to various locations. But some areas are still more difficult than others, and because of this there will be no setting to change the combat difficulty, as that would trivialize conquering the harder areas and ruin the fun.
  • Instead, you can change the game mode between "normal" and "scenario" modes. Normal is just what it sounds like, but scenario mode is meant for players who just want to enjoy the writing and the setting. Scenario mode will drastically reduce combat difficulty, but it will also reduce the amount of XP and money (which in this game is Mana) earned, and reduce item drop rate to 0.
  • As the game will also focus more on item progression instead of level progression, this means that you won't really grow in power in scenario mode and you can't collect items in combat. You can pick items in ground out of combat though.
  • There's no gathering of materials.
  • Of course, you won't miss out on any scenes or events from playing in either mode, and you can switch back and forth in the menu whenever you want. You also won't permanently miss out on any items even if you change the mode, unlike the SEQUEL games which have an item you can only get if you never changed the difficulty to an easier one. Or at least blight does. (it's nothing important, don't worry even if you've changed your difficulty)
To me the game sounds pretty alright. Kind of like a more dark soulsy way of progression? For a potential translation, however, that's not so nice. Partial patches would get weird. I'm already strangely uncomfortable with SEQUEL's sudden nonlinearity. I want one clear path to translate dangit not three ones simultaneously.

But the game mode thing on the other hand sounds great for a translation. Because I've been playing SEQUEL on casual while translating, and dang I'm overleveled from running all over the place trying to find all the dialogue. I just want the regular fights to be over with a single round of attacks...

It also sounds less grindy? That's nice. Unless item progression just means that monsters have like a 1/20 chance to drop some sword +2 to replace your old sword +1. That's not so nice.

Also, I never paid attention to the dates before, but it looks like the blog posts have been weekly. Which means there might be a new post about ASYLUM tomorrow? I'll post about it if it's anything revolutionary. If it isn't, I'll mention it again next week.

Reactions: kururuh

kratoscar2008

Sep 28, 2018
This week, I read a textbook, went through lecture notes and slides, and made up a mnemonic. Then I played Disco Elysium to unwind. Exams went okay, I hope. What, that's not what you wanted to hear about? The translation? Oh, right. There's a small patch. If last week's patch was a sunflower, this one's a dandelion. Updating the OP momentarily.

Important notes:
  • The post-game storyline that the translation effort is currently focusing on starts with the blue arrow on the sign outside Rabi's office. Once you've returned to Haven after completing the request, it continues at the park in Haven (the path west, near the northern exit).
  • Translation ends in Hidden Village Ashvale immediately after returning from Raktess Eastern Plains.
Version 0.8.1:

Less important notes:
  • Next week, there will be a new patch of some kind and it will probably be a larger one than this, because I'll have spare time to work with. The week after that there will be no patch! I'll be visiting my family over Christmas. Even if I had a laptop to work on, I'm never translating smut while my two nephews are hanging around. You get nothing for Christmas.
  • There are still some relatively easily accessible but untranslated scenes. But I did translate the text immediately preceding and following them, so you won't really miss anything even if you go and trigger them. As you can view them in the Memory Space whenever they get translated. I've still updated the list in the
  • The garbled messages in the computer in Mansion Cellar were originally mostly incomprehensible. They still are, so don't think about it too hard.
  • Today, I'm thinking about my flaws as a translator again. I've got into a bad habit of trying to reflect sentence-ending particles in my sentences just about every time they're used. It's not very good form. I don't think that every sentence needs to end in ", see?" or ", right?" or ", no?" or ", huh." or whatever. It should be enough to use them when they're needed and omit them the rest of the time. But, well. One-person projects and tunnel vision, you know? This is why editors exist. I guess I'll try to improve this situation eventually when everything's done and I can start a new playthrough to reread through all the bullshit that I wrote. It's basically a draft version of the game at this point, okay?
  • At this point I should probably admit that I have no idea what military ranks are and I'm not interested in learning. The marshal's the marshal and the commander's the commander, whether or not those are good translations or not.
  • I have to also admit I gave 0 thought to the name problem this week. And the dick problem. I've been busy okay? It's not like I thought I should focus on getting the most accessible H-scenes out of the way first or anything, you dummy!!

ASYLUM
Hakika-sensei posted about ASYLUM again (on the 7th). Here's a brief summary:
  • The game will be more freeform in exploration than the SEQUEL games. You can ignore bosses and head to various locations. But some areas are still more difficult than others, and because of this there will be no setting to change the combat difficulty, as that would trivialize conquering the harder areas and ruin the fun.
  • Instead, you can change the game mode between "normal" and "scenario" modes. Normal is just what it sounds like, but scenario mode is meant for players who just want to enjoy the writing and the setting. Scenario mode will drastically reduce combat difficulty, but it will also reduce the amount of XP and money (which in this game is Mana) earned, and reduce item drop rate to 0.
  • As the game will also focus more on item progression instead of level progression, this means that you won't really grow in power in scenario mode and you can't collect items in combat. You can pick items in ground out of combat though.
  • There's no gathering of materials.
  • Of course, you won't miss out on any scenes or events from playing in either mode, and you can switch back and forth in the menu whenever you want. You also won't permanently miss out on any items even if you change the mode, unlike the SEQUEL games which have an item you can only get if you never changed the difficulty to an easier one. Or at least blight does. (it's nothing important, don't worry even if you've changed your difficulty)
To me the game sounds pretty alright. Kind of like a more dark soulsy way of progression? For a potential translation, however, that's not so nice. Partial patches would get weird. I'm already strangely uncomfortable with SEQUEL's sudden nonlinearity. I want one clear path to translate dangit not three ones simultaneously.

But the game mode thing on the other hand sounds great for a translation. Because I've been playing SEQUEL on casual while translating, and dang I'm overleveled from running all over the place trying to find all the dialogue. I just want the regular fights to be over with a single round of attacks...

It also sounds less grindy? That's nice. Unless item progression just means that monsters have like a 1/20 chance to drop some sword +2 to replace your old sword +1. That's not so nice.

Also, I never paid attention to the dates before, but it looks like the blog posts have been weekly. Which means there might be a new post about ASYLUM tomorrow? I'll post about it if it's anything revolutionary. If it isn't, I'll mention it again next week.
Thanks. Guess ill wait for next week patch. Dont worry about Christmas, enjoy it as next week patch should be an early Christmas gift as far as im concerned.
Also its strange that he hasnt posted any H scene, wonder if its taking longer to make them or they are already done but haven't been shown.
Happy Holidays.

sub-par

Jan 8, 2018
Thanks. Guess ill wait for next week patch. Dont worry about Christmas, enjoy it as next week patch should be an early Christmas gift as far as im concerned.
Also its strange that he hasnt posted any H scene, wonder if its taking longer to make them or they are already done but haven't been shown.
Happy Holidays.
Yeah... Honestly, I didn't really want to post the patch this week because it contains so little. But I figured a small patch is better than skipping a week without notice. Even worse would have been making a post that goes "hi i've got a small patch but i don't want to post it see you next week". That would be like megarude teasing.

Hakika-sensei did post one sample on Twitter last month: and , showcasing the implementation of in-game scenes. I guess you missed it?

Also, this will probably get announced tomorrow, but I noticed something pretty obvious when I went to their twitter just now to fetch those links.
  • First, tweeted two days ago displaying the new strong enemy (these had a very different name in SEQUEL which I translated as 'Guardian) defeat animation, there's an interesting item that's dropped. The description says it's a seal that has the power to strengthen a weapon.
  • Second, tweeted two days ago, it looks like weapons have seal slots. There's (what I would call) a Seal of Strength III, a Seal of Thunder, and a Seal of Striking II. (There's also a "treasure chest head" which sounds like a Dark Souls reference)
That's pretty cool. I wonder if the seals are permanent to a weapon or if you can take them out and slot elsewhere. Or if different weapons have different amounts of seal slots. Probably not, since it looks like there's not that much empty space on the screen.

And happy holidays to you too!

• Thinking Face
Reactions: kratoscar2008

sub-par

Jan 8, 2018
Hey everyone. Today I was googling trying to find out if there's any information about the official English translation floating around. There isn't.

But you know what there is? A yet . They've even got a full level 99 party. Not two, but three translations? Holy shit, what a disaster! At this point I'm expecting to wake up one morning to find out some anon on 4chan has posted a full translation patch :eek:

Anyway... This doesn't change my plans any more than when I found out that an official English version is coming. I feel a bit sad for the "wasted" translation energy we've got going on here. But I'm not stopping, and it doesn't look like they are stopping either. I guess I'll just take this as a learning opportunity in two ways. First, I should consider making a thread on the other big bootleg translation site next time I decide to translate a game that I care about. Second, that's one more translation to compare my work with and learn new things.

And as for ASYLUM, last week's blog post contained nothing interesting in particular. Development is progressing, no official dates or anything, that's about it. But on ci-en hakika-sensei posted some more about the H-scenes. There'll be about 60 of them, 47 of which will include the main character Malice. What kind of scenes they are isn't decided yet. (Other than that there will be femdom, obviously)

4.00 star(s) 4 Votes