2D Erotic 2D Art, requesting feedback

Lussuria

May 26, 2020
I have a for those of you who wish to be informed when the game I've been working on featuring this art releases! The game will have morality choices, branching paths, and feature both corruption and romance mechanics. ( )

Let me know what you think please!

Thanks a lot.

Collage.png

Gotti.png Ariella.png EmiliaTealSkirt.png SofiaWhiteTop.png

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020
You art looks really good. Overall... i was tipping that you art style is inspired by the classic disney cartoons. Do not look at me as some expert but it feels like you could add more shadow to your style to make it look like it has more depths. Unless it is intended to look like this. please dont take it serious and i have no idea about art. just stating an opinion. ;)

Reactions: Lussuria

Basilicata

Radioactive Member
Game Developer
Oct 24, 2017
I like it. But since speed is important I would suggest to leave the backgrounds as a filtered photo. Maybe blurry too. Play Good girl gone bad. It's traced art, but the backgrounds are photos. My game uses the same technique. And you will notice that my skill, gets better in later chapters.
Don't waste time for backgrounds. Keep up the good work.

Lussuria

May 26, 2020
You art looks really good. Overall... i was tipping that you art style is inspired by the classic disney cartoons. Do not look at me as some expert but it feels like you could add more shadow to your style to make it look like it has more depths. Unless it is intended to look like this. please dont take it serious and i have no idea about art. just stating an opinion. ;)
Thanks for the response and your kind words! I think you are right about shadows to get some more depth, looking at the images from the first post compared to the one in the second post, they are really flat! I think I did better with the fridge one at achieving some depth.

I like it. But since speed is important I would suggest to leave the backgrounds as a filtered photo. Maybe blurry too. Play Good girl gone bad. It's traced art, but the backgrounds are photos. My game uses the same technique. And you will notice that my skill, gets better in later chapters.
Don't waste time for backgrounds. Keep up the good work.
Hi Basilicata, thanks for the tips and encouragement. Good Girl Gone Bad is such a great game and an inspiration to myself to try out this art-style. I figure like GGGB I would mostly use sprites paired with blurred background images for most of the game with H-scenes and moneyshots featuring some props/backgrounds. Speed is definitely a concern to me, right now I think I could achieve around two renders like the fridge one per day of hard work. Hopefully the speed and quality improves as I get some practice in. I haven't done vector art since college and back then it mostly wasn't humanoids, let alone nude ones haha! Thanks again and best of luck with Goss_IP!

Last edited:

Egglock

Oct 17, 2017
Your shading inconsistency is kind of jarring. Some parts are shaded while others aren't kind of throws the viewing around. Considering that everything is almost flat colors, add a bit of contrasting colors to your focal point so that you can steer the viewers to POI. Other than that the art style looks great.

Lussuria

May 26, 2020
Your shading inconsistency is kind of jarring. Some parts are shaded while others aren't kind of throws the viewing around. Considering that everything is almost flat colors, add a bit of contrasting colors to your focal point so that you can steer the viewers to POI. Other than that the art style looks great.
I think you make a great point. I do want to mostly use flat colors with just a few bits of shading here and there for a more economical style. I think it would help if I desaturated or darkened the background art a little bit to help draw the eye to the girl who will almost inevitably be the focal point of most renders. I could use darker or thicker outlines to possible draw the eye to the girl but I currently like the colored outlines and how they result in a softer, smoother, looking girl. I shall read a bit about focal points and try to factor it in to my next piece.

I am curious when you talk about shading inconsistency do you mean within a piece or between the different drawings? Or do you mean the lack of shading in backgrounds versus the foreground? One thing I'm concerned about is my mixing of hard and soft shadows like I do on fridge girl, I'm not sure if that is an artistic no-no lol.

Thanks for the feedback and kind words.

Last edited:

Egglock

Oct 17, 2017
I am curious when you talk about shading inconsistency do you mean within a piece or between the different drawings? Or do you mean the lack of shading in backgrounds versus the foreground?
I just want to clarify that I'm no where near being a professional 2D artist, my opinions are solely based on my experiences in 3D and the various lighting tutorials I've looked at.

This is primary a critique, on your 2nd post image, I'll give some thoughts on your first post images also at the bottom. Something to keep in mind is that our eyes are drawn to bright colors. The white's in the image are what I would say distracting the viewer from what is the real focal point. A way around this is to like you said, de-saturate the scene a bit while maintaining the quality on the character. Or pronounce the shading on the character like you did with her hair. Another technique to consider is guiding the player to the intended focal point. For example, her socks are already colorful, you can take those, brighten them up a bit, and slowly divert the viewers eyes upwards by a secondary object at the waist up until the top. Now of course this will all happen instantaneously for the viewers, but the idea behind this is to subtly divert them to where you want them to look. When I first looked at the image it wasn't the character that first caught my eyes but the fridge. This is because the whites are the brightest.

If the whites needs to be in the scene because that object's intended color is white, what you could do then is cover up as much of that surface as possible. Taking the fridge for example, have small notes, or decals, have something on the countertop to the left of the fridge. Have some cereal boxes on top, put a few misc items inside the fridge. Doesn't have to be a lot just a few items to break up the color. Cheap way to create contrast without destroying your color scheme, and divert the attention to the correct element in the scene.

As far as shadow goes. The inconsistency I'm talking about are the shadow areas on the character, fridge at the bottom, soft shadows v.s hard shadows and the intensity of that light source. The overall brightness of the image makes it feel like a direct light from the sun. Well I mean not literally having a sun above her but you get what I mean. And it's hard to pinpoint the direction of the light because various shadows are in places that convey different light paths. Looking at the characters hair, her left side is in shadow, her back hair is lit but her shadow's silhouette is being projected to the right?. Her shadow on the wall indicates that another light source is coming from the left? and it doesn't look like it's the light from the fridge. The bottom section is also casting shadow to the right, and if the secondary light source I assume is coming from the inside of the fridge, because there's a secondary shadow of the character going off to the bottom right, then the bottom shadow makes sense, with the exception that it wouldn't stop there and continue up to the side of the right countertop. The right countertops shadow at the bottom seems off too, the length of that shadow of course taking our perspective into account, shouldn't extrude pass that left bottom most corner if the light is coming from the top and being lit by the fridge's light.

Lighting or in this case 2D shadowing, is tricky and I'm not the most qualify to make this assessment, as I'm also learning how 2D shading works. Don't take what I've said at face value but as reference and compare it with critique from other's and make your own judgement based on that.

Your 1st post pretty much falls in line with what I've already mention above about shading. If you commit to shading one part, it doesn't make sense at least to me not to shade the rest. It breaks the composition. On another note, I highly discourage you from creating darker outlines, this will definitely break the composition you have already setup. There are other ways to make your image "pop" without being destructive to the overall composition. Another example is to slightly shift the hue values down or up and to use the correct color scheme in your shading. What I suggest is, use 3 different color value, the mid, high and dark tones of your color pallette . If you apply this to your characters skin kind of like how you did with the hair, by slightly using the high tone to create highlights in the apporiate places this doesn't have to be a lot nor in a lot of places, but use it to guide the player, and using the dark tones to shadow and create contrast between the high and mid tones, you can easily and cheaper draw the attention to the correct area's without being destructive to the overall composition.

• Red Heart

Lussuria

May 26, 2020
This was fantastic feedback, thanks so much. Great ideas about how to break up big blocks of color like on the fridge. I tried to keep shadows consistent in this new piece. No blurred shading/shadows (except for a little red flushed cheeks) and tried to keep light sources in mind (lamp, windows). I feel I'm improving with shading but still not sure I've got a good eye flow through the work. I tried to not have anything too bright or sharp which would draw the eye away from the girl. Its tough to try and imagine where fresh eyes will fall on the work since I've spent so long staring at it. Anyway, thanks again so much for the great write up.

I skipped eyelashes in this one. Society has moved past the need for eyelashes :p (also, do not look at her hands for too long, worst mistake of my life!)

CouchCropped.png

Last edited:

Lussuria

May 26, 2020
Did this one a bit quicker than the last one, took about 4 hours in total. I think I need more practice with faces, there is a lot of room for improvement all over the piece but especially the face. I also have a general outline for the beginning of a game though, and this scene takes up all of 10 seconds so I didn't want to spend too much time on this interaction.

ExitingPlaneCropped.png

Last edited:

hhrichards

Dec 11, 2020
I love this art style! What I like is the poses, picture framing seem so normal. Like real life normal. Which is a good thing!
So many games on here have the same art style, and the girls stand in the same poses, but that's not what real life is like. Your game shows people standing & looking normal!

I like it :)

Where can I find more about this game?

• Red Heart

Lussuria

May 26, 2020
I love this art style! What I like is the poses, picture framing seem so normal. Like real life normal. Which is a good thing!
So many games on here have the same art style, and the girls stand in the same poses, but that's not what real life is like. Your game shows people standing & looking normal!

I like it :)

Where can I find more about this game?
Thanks so much! The unique framing/posing in particular, rather than relying on the same sprites for each scene, is something I hope to achieve. Most DAZ games usually accomplish this well but with 2D games they tend more to sprites. I do worry about what kind of workload this will result in though. Right now the time per "render" is rather high with each of these having taken me four to seven hours. Hopefully practice helps me get them done quicker though.

Unfortunately, there is currently nowhere to find out more about the game. It's a visual novel in very early development with the script/story still being written. If everything goes according to plan (things rarely do) I intend to have a first version out sometime in the first quarter of 2021.

hhrichards

Dec 11, 2020
Unfortunately, there is currently nowhere to find out more about the game.
I have an idea, if you're posting on here, you're missing an opportunity to gather interest (I'm interested for example!). So maybe create a mailing list for people to subscribe to, so that you can email them when the game is released. I did this and it went very well.

You'd think that people wouldn't want to subscribe to a mailing list, but actually it's a good way to get a notification about something, so quite a lot of people seemed to appreciate it!

I use mailchimp.com which is free up to 2,000 subscribers (which is difficult to get anyway).

I also use a similar (altho very different) art style to you. I've just posted a thread asking for feedback, any chance you could take a look?

Lussuria

May 26, 2020
I have an idea, if you're posting on here, you're missing an opportunity to gather interest (I'm interested for example!). So maybe create a mailing list for people to subscribe to, so that you can email them when the game is released. I did this and it went very well.

You'd think that people wouldn't want to subscribe to a mailing list, but actually it's a good way to get a notification about something, so quite a lot of people seemed to appreciate it!

I use mailchimp.com which is free up to 2,000 subscribers (which is difficult to get anyway).

I also use a similar (altho very different) art style to you. I've just posted a thread asking for feedback, any chance you could take a look?
That's a very smart idea! Though I do wonder if perhaps it is too early for me to do that. I haven't even settled on a name for the game. Also, I am curious, if not here, where you did you share your game to build interest and reach people who would want to keep up to date with it before you had a playable build?

hhrichards

Dec 11, 2020
I put my game on Itch.io, and started posting art there as "devlogs". Although looking back it was completely pointless as I was getting no traffic.

It wasn't until I had posted a demo as a proof-of-concept on Newgrounds ( ) that people started getting interested, & subscribing to the mailing list. But there's no harm in creating that mailing list early to catch the people who show interest early on!

hhrichards

Dec 11, 2020
I like it a lot, but I think you should bring the corners of the mouth up a bit so that she looks smilier & happier!

Lussuria

May 26, 2020
I like it a lot, but I think you should bring the corners of the mouth up a bit so that she looks smilier & happier!
Now that you've said that, it does look a bit like a grimace rather than a smile. Thanks for the suggestion.