Tool Others F95 Favorite Games Updates [v1.2.0]

Heroes Killer

Sep 23, 2019
Hello. :)

As has been previously discussed in this thread, I miss here some overview of the latest updates of my favorites games.
Consequently, I've made a launchable python script that does it for me.

QnMgSqg.png

It works by checking URLs you insert into an excel table. After checking all the addresses, a new tab in your browser will be opened and you will see something similar as in the screenshot above.
If there is a new update of any game, it's name box will be colored in green.
You can also track the last versions of the games you've played - the games with newer versions will have colored boxes with the last played version.

The only requirement should be Python. If you don't have it installed, please see the guide below. It's a matter of a minute.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Enjoy. :)

Last edited:

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
Thanks for mentioning, please let me know when you try it if there is something you would like to see there - I will welcome any ideas on how to improve the tool.

Btw, I will release a new version today or tomorrow. :)
FWIW I think it's a really great tool. The only reason I haven't tried it yet is that I don't have a spreadsheet program installed, and don't feel like installing one just for this. Nothing personal, I'm just something of an extreme minimalist when it comes to these kinds of things. I'm thinking about modifying it to use CSV at some point.

Reactions: Heroes Killer

Heroes Killer

Sep 23, 2019
baloneysammich Thanks. :)

I chose XLSX because of visual features and the fact that most of the users have something to open it with (and if you have Gmail you can use Google sheets without installing anything).

Nevertheless, it shouldn't be a problem to add support for CSV files. Today, I plan to release a new version of the script with some improvements, so I will add it as well.

Heroes Killer

Sep 23, 2019
Ok, I've released a new version of the script! :)

scr2.PNG

Last edited:

chewie0001

Jan 2, 2020
It Look's like a great tool but i have problems to run it. The "f95watcher.bat" close instantly when i run it. I install it on 2 different computers and get the same resultes. I'm using Win10 with the latest build of Python. So i don't know what i'm doing wrong here :(

Heroes Killer

Sep 23, 2019
chewie0001 Either there is a syntax error in the sheet file or something went wrong during installation (maybe dependencies if you have some of them already installed).

Please replace your files with the ones attached to this post and PM (private message) me the results. And if you changed xlsx file, attach it as well. We will write the solution here afterward. :)

chewie0001

Jan 2, 2020
heroeskiller, Thanks for the reply. i dont know how to use the PM here so i post it here. As you can see in the screenshot of the f95watcher.bat i get an error of a module error not found. its called Pandas. i did not modify the xlsx file yet. and i did intalled Python just like it has to be. i also used the script install_requirements.bat first.

Heroes Killer

Sep 23, 2019
You can send PM eg. by starting a conversation in a mini-profile of a user (the left side of posts). But nvm, we can solve it here as well. :)

The error indicates that one of the requirements (pandas) has not been installed. It's important for working with the excel sheet. It should have been installed with the script install_requirements.bat, so something went wrong there.

Try to install it with the attached file (replace the old one), it will show you any errors during the installation.

Last edited:

chewie0001

Jan 2, 2020
Heroes Killer, i did a new approach. i uninstalled the latest build of Python and install the version you mention in your starting post <build 3.5.3>
i still have problems with the module of Pandas as you can see in the screenschot of f95watcher.bat
the requirements.bat shows no errors

p.s. i dont see a conversation tag on your mini-profile ;)

Heroes Killer

Sep 23, 2019
conversation_miniprofile.PNG

I think we managed to solve the problem with the dependencies - according to the second screen, the correct version of pandas has already been installed successfully.

As for your first post, it's already not a problem with the pandas module - it's a problem that pandas encountered. It seems like a syntax problem in the sheet file, that could be caused by downloading the older version and not properly updating to the new version (ie. updating only a .py file, not a sheet).

The solution should be simple - either update it according to the guide in the post above or just download the archive from the first post and replace your old xlsx file with the new one. :)

Reactions: chewie0001

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
I initially didn't put the column names in the csv file. :FacePalm:

That was a bit perplexing because the script (even the debug version) completed without error but produced no output. o_O

After recovering from the facepalming, I was a bit surprised to find that the version string is from the thread/page title rather than from within the OP. Doesn't matter really, just a bit of warning to others.

-----

Anyway, now I have it worked out I made a few minor modifications to the script so it creates a very basic "dark" version:

Untitled.png

Can you guess where I got those greys and the link color? ;)

Last edited:

Heroes Killer

Sep 23, 2019
After recovering from the facepalming, I was a bit surprised to find that the version string is from the thread/page title rather than from within the OP. Doesn't matter really, just a bit of warning to others.
If you are referring to the current version of games, I chose the title from a few reasons (if I can remember) - firstly, it's much more time-efficient due to the structure of the posts, secondly not every game I tried had the version inside the body (I think those were some older games). At last, it's more friendly to what type of URL you are inserting.

Thanks for the idea of a dark version (yeah, the colors of F95! :D), I will implement something similar in the next version - with the option to choose, because personally I find the light version "cleaner" (although, most of the times I use dark themes).

Reactions: scrumbles

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
I think there's a syntax error with the generated page. The rows of the table (other than the header) don't have opening <tr> tags. Firefox renders the page without issue, but maybe other browsers wouldn't.
Edit: There should also be </a> right after each game title.

I also more or less rewrote the script to use nothing beyond the standard library (I did say I'm an extreme minimalist ;)). It gets the job done, but it's very inelegant due to my lack of Python experience.

Last edited:

Heroes Killer

Sep 23, 2019
Thanks for mentioning the tags. It works correctly in all browsers because the pairing tags are considered optional. I will add them in the next version though, as it contributes to the readability of the code.

The standard library provides most of the functionality but it wouldn't work with the sheets (CSV is fine).

Heroes Killer

Sep 23, 2019
dvd03cr Hey, thanks for reporting the bug. :)

I've found this rare problem occurs because of two things - in the first post, there is "updated" instead of "Updated". And there was also some text in the description that was confusing for the method.

You can download the fixed version in the attachment. It will be also fixed in the next versions of the script.

Last edited:
Reactions: dvd03cr