Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

zweistein

Dec 6, 2017
Hello today try refresh

Something went wrong...

Traceback (most recent call last):

File ".../F95CheckerV8.3h1/modules/api.py", line 107, in login

globals.token = token_soup.select_one('input[name="_xfToken"]').get('value')

AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get'

same problem on F95CheckerV8.3h3

and click on switch button (backround mode)

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
That looks like a change from F95's side. Can't say for sure as I don't code much more than some smaller scripts.
I'm getting it too.

Willy will have to look at how hard it is to fix.

I just hope it doesn't require an addition to the api.
You're correct unfortunately. I'm not so sure it's a change in the api, but more of a change in cloudflare settings. The same thing happened some time ago, basically the server detects that it's a bot connecting and asks for a captcha. Last time Sam fixed it by tweaking the settings, and I'm afraid the same will need to happen this time too... unfortunately it's an issue with cloudflare, so I'd be trying to bypass a half-billion dollar tech company's security measures, and let's be realistic that will not happen.

Sam could you please look into the cloudflare settings? It's giving the captcha issue again. Thanks in advance.

AtotehZ

Aug 24, 2018
You're correct unfortunately. I'm not so sure it's a change in the api, but more of a change in cloudflare settings. The same thing happened some time ago, basically the server detects that it's a bot connecting and asks for a captcha. Last time Sam fixed it by tweaking the settings, and I'm afraid the same will need to happen this time too... unfortunately it's an issue with cloudflare, so I'd be trying to bypass a half-billion dollar tech company's security measures, and let's be realistic that will not happen.

Sam could you please look into the cloudflare settings? It's giving the captcha issue again. Thanks in advance.
Reason I thought the API might need a tweak is that I thought you were given permission through the API. I hope it all works out.

Reactions: WillyJL

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
I've had to ramp up Cloudflare's anti bot settings due to abuse and spam issues, there will likely be further anti bot features coming soon too, possibly recaptcha on every login.

I hate resorting to these measures, however, abuse and "bad bots" have gotten to the point where I can no longer ignore it, attackers are using 1000s of accounts to flood reactions, fake reviews, etc, and we're having to take preventative measures.

I'd suggest using the latest updates endpoint to gather the data, this doesn't require an account, and I'll shortly add a Cloudflare rule to bypass the higher bot protection for this page (https://f95zone.to/sam/latest_alpha/latest_data.php), unfortunately this wouldn't be able to get download links which I know is a major feature, however as a stop gap measure this is probably the best option. In the future I'd be interested in making this an officially supported tool, but that's something I'll have to discuss with WillyJL and won't be until I have some more time available.

I realise this isn't good news, but I have to prioritise the stability of the community and combat the ongoing abuse issues over this (awesome) tool.

seigram

Oct 6, 2020
I've had to ramp up Cloudflare's anti bot settings due to abuse and spam issues, there will likely be further anti bot features coming soon too, possibly recaptcha on every login.

I hate resorting to these measures, however, abuse and "bad bots" have gotten to the point where I can no longer ignore it, attackers are using 1000s of accounts to flood reactions, fake reviews, etc, and we're having to take preventative measures.

I'd suggest using the latest updates endpoint to gather the data, this doesn't require an account, and I'll shortly add a Cloudflare rule to bypass the higher bot protection for this page (https://f95zone.to/sam/latest_alpha/latest_data.php), unfortunately this wouldn't be able to get download links which I know is a major feature, however as a stop gap measure this is probably the best option. In the future I'd be interested in making this an officially supported tool, but that's something I'll have to discuss with WillyJL and won't be until I have some more time available.

I realise this isn't good news, but I have to prioritise the stability of the community and combat the ongoing abuse issues over this (awesome) tool.
Do you plan on opening up the bot protection on the RSS version of the latest updates as well? I have a similar tool that uses that feed that is broken :(

AmBush-UK

Aug 1, 2018

(y)
Glad to know the site is so security concious, Hopefuly it will all be worked out soon and this Brilliant tool can function as it was.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Sam

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
Do you plan on opening up the bot protection on the RSS version of the latest updates as well? I have a similar tool that uses that feed that is broken :(
Which RSS feed are you using?

Dukez

Dec 19, 2020

Would be neat if it became an official tool and maybe it changes to pull the web version of 'Latest Updates 4.0' system, how you can hide ignored etc but retains the tool's existing functionality (point to downloaded folder, mark as played etc). Guess that's something you two would have to figure out but as merging of the two functionally would be great.

Alternatively GameList tends to rip data and put it on it's own server to get around this cloudflare issue I think? Guess that would require a separate server being hosted to do something similar.

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I'll just put this here for the time being:

Sadly I don't have much time to dedicate to developing this tool right now and since logging in programmatically is no longer an option (totally understandable, I am NOT in any way blaming Sam or any other staff member) much of the info that this tool requires / should have for ease of use cannot be gathered for now and so the tool either won't work at all or would have a significant amount of features stripped from it.

If anyone discovers some hidden APIs that provide game names, descriptions, banner images, tags, thread ids / links, changelogs, version numbers, etc... and is willing to share the information I would be very thankful, but as of right now I am afraid I won't be actively looking into fixing the tool.

In my opinion the best solution would be a simple API that takes in a thread id (eg. 12760) and responds with a json / xml / rss / whatever containing:
  • game name
  • author name
  • current version number
  • game engine
  • development status (completed / on hold / abandoned)
  • description
  • full changelog
  • image link
  • array of tags
  • last update timestamp / array of all update timestamps / map (dictionary) of version numbers to update timestamp
  • NO download links
This way only tools with good intents would benefit from it (no download links) and not crawlers and scrapers.
I don't want to put pressure on anyone / anything, just wanted to put out how I would envision the ideal API to make everything easier.

I strongly hope this tool will be able to at some point come back better than ever, but for now this is my stance on the situation.

PS: just for clarification, I am not angry / pissed with anyone. Just that I personally don't want and can't physically invest the time into fixing this tool while the infrastructure is not complete and could change at any time. I love this community but I can't afford to waste time like that at this moment of my life.
A very big thanks goes to those that stuck around with the project, I am sorry to disappoint but I promise this will come back at some point. As they say, this is goodbye, not farewell.

Last edited:

Iconick

Feb 18, 2021
Should be fine now, we've enabled recaptcha on login and disabled super bot mode for the time being.

However this is still a developing situation, so things may change again in the future.
WillyJL I don't know if it's something Sam did on their end....But after logging on today and reading the post that Sam had made, I gave the tool a try. It has worked so far for me each time I have tried clicking the "Refresh". So it seems that as Sam said, it's working again "for the time being".

So if it was you... Thank you Sam . Hopefully, in the future, this will not be an issue. But I totally understand that you have to do what is best for the site first!

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
WillyJL I don't know if it's something Sam did on their end....But after logging on today and reading the post that Sam had made, I gave the tool a try. It has worked so far for me each time I have tried clicking the "Refresh". So it seems that as Sam said, it's working again "for the time being".

So if it was you... Thank you Sam . Hopefully, in the future, this will not be an issue. But I totally understand that you have to do what is best for the site first!
I personally couldnt login a few hours ago when i tried (the tool somewhat worked but kept asking for login) so im guessing either sam tweaked it again or you simply still have the valid session cookies saved...

Reactions: Iconick and Sam

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
or you simply still have the valid session cookies saved...
It'd be that, a quick work around that might work would be allowing a user to enter their session ID instead of user/pass, but it's quite clunky/not user friendly/would require the user occasionally update the cookie. And as I said, the situation is still developing and I may have to reenable cloudflare's anti bot mode.

I'll just put this here for the time being:

Sadly I don't have much time to dedicate to developing this tool right now and since logging in programmatically is no longer an option (totally understandable, I am NOT in any way blaming Sam or any other staff member) much of the info that this tool requires / should have for ease of use cannot be gathered for now and so the tool either won't work at all or would have a significant amount of features stripped from it.

If anyone makes some discovers some hidden APIs that provide game names, descriptions, banner images, tags, thread ids / links, changelogs, version numbers, etc... and is willing to share the information I would be very thankful, but as of right now I am afraid I won't be actively looking into fixing the tool.

In my opinion the best solution would be a simple API that takes in a thread id (eg. 12760) and responds with a json / xml / rss / whatever containing:
  • game name
  • author name
  • current version number
  • game engine
  • development status (completed / on hold / abandoned)
  • description
  • full changelog
  • image link
  • array of tags
  • last update timestamp / array of all update timestamps / map (dictionary) of version numbers to update timestamp
  • NO download links
This way only tools with good intents would benefit from it (no download links) and not crawlers and scrapers.
I don't want to put pressure on anyone / anything, just wanted to put out how I would envision the ideal API to make everything easier.

I strongly hope this tool will be able to at some point come back better than ever, but for now this is my stance on the situation.

PS: just for clarification, I am not angry / pissed with anyone. Just that I personally don't want and can't physically invest the time into fixing this tool while the infrastructure is not complete and could change at any time. I love this community but I can't afford to waste time like that at this moment of my life.
A very big thanks goes to those that stuck around with the project, I am sorry to disappoint but I promise this will come back at some point.
I appreciate your patience, I do agree that it wouldn't be a good idea to continue development at the moment, whilst we're still seeing what works the best in combatting the bad actors. I don't want you to adapt to the situation and then find a few days later that I've had to change the setup again and your work be lost. Once I've finished the new upcoming site changes, I'll look at creating an API. As I said, I'd love to make this an officially supported tool in the future, I have some ideas for features that I could help implement from my side of things.

forgetmaster

Oct 14, 2020
This is the first time installing the tool, installation worked ,but i cant login, after putting in the credentials, the dialog box disappears for a while then comes again empty,
The settings I am using are:
1.Installed exe on Windows 10
2.Using Brave Browser
3.NOT using open in Private Mode
4.NOT using open pages as saved HTML
5.CHECKED refresh list at start
6.CHECKED refresh completed games
7.Auto sort-Alphabetical
8.Max retries 3
9.Max threads for refresh 100
10.BG Delay 15

I tried login out of browser then retrying ,doesn't work, tried switching to private mode (as mentioned in 3.)

Any help is appreciated ,this is the first time I am using this and was really looking forward to it

ascsd

Jul 26, 2021
This is a temporary solution to allow f95checker to login
its not "user friendly" but certainly quick and easy to do and the few seconds it takes to do it will definitely save you the time it would need to check the games manually.

This will work for edge, chrome and brave. (should work for any browser with similar steps)

1. Open f95checker then close it, it needs to be closed before you continue! (this is to generate the settings file if you have never used it before)

2. locate your settings file
-- if you're using windows:
%AppData%\f95checker
just copy paste that into your file explorer directly
-- if you're using linux:
/home/<USER>/.f95checker/
replace <USER> with your username.

3. create a shortcut of f95checker.json to your desktop or wherever so you can easily access it so you don't have to do step 2 again

4. go to f95zone using your preferred browser, log out if you are already logged in! then open devtools. (as a side note, Do Not Trust anyone that tells you to type stuff into devtools or share any info from there unless you want to be compromised!)
to open devtools, press F12 or ctrl+shift+i or click the 3 dots/settings icon > More tools > Developer tools

5. Go to the Application tab in devtools, if its not visible, click the >> at the top near Elements and console etc.. to find it.

6. in the side menu under Application, you'll find Storage, under it you'll find Cookies, click the arrow next to it to expand it. you should find f95zone.to under cookies. right-click on it and click Clear

7. now log into f95zone, it will create new cookies for f95zone in that Applications tab you just opened in dev tools, you should find xf_csrf and xf_user and some random letters next to them, which is the "value" of those cookies. copy the value of those cookies into notepad or just keep it open and ready for the next steps
-- if you are using 2 factor authentication (2FA) then you will need to copy xf_tfa_trust cookie aswell

8. open the settings file f95checker.json you made a shortcut for earlier in step 3

9. look for "advanced": and under it you should find "cookies": it should look something like this
JSON:
"cookies": {
    "xf_csrf": "<value>",
    "xf_user": "<value>"
}
10. replace the text after xf_csrf and xf_user with their cookie values you got from step 7. Keep the quotation marks!
-- if you are using 2FA you will need to change the value for xf_tfa_trust cookie aswell
if you dont see these cookie names under "cookies", you will need to add them.
you will need to make sure there are commas after each cookie except for the last one or else it wont work as the formatting is sensitive. if you make a mistake it will say the file is "corrupted" and will restore it so it won't break anything but you might lose your games list so maybe create a copy before you make changes?

11. save the file and you should be ready to go! you can close your browser after you've copied the cookie values

if this didn't work, you may need to clear your browser's cache and cookies for f95zone and log in again then retry the steps. (quick google search will help, be aware that clearing cache and cookies for your whole browser instead of just for f95zone will log you out of all your websites)
And if it stops working just repeat these steps. I believe it should last a while before you need to redo it though.

Just to reiterate, dont share your cookies or anything in devtools and dont type anything anyone tells you to type in devtools unless you know what you are doing!

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 21 Votes