Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
can you try with this? it might take a while to open but when you try to refresh or do anything else and you get that error, you should have a "debug.html" file in the program folder, please zip that and send it here (or in dms if you prefer)

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
here's the file you want
View attachment 1277798
ok so the issue is cloudflare, something similar happened in the past but it was a server side issue and everyone was affected, it got fixed 1-2 days later. This time however it looks like you're the only one affected for the time being...

Might sound like a weird question but did you do anything recently that might have made cloudflare suspicious of your IP address? Spam connecting to a website, connecting somewhere in a weird manner,, visiting weird websites, VPN, tor, idk, anything?

Do you normally get a captcha when logging into F95Zone on your browser? Because that's the problem, cloudflare is blocking connections by F95Checker to F95Zone asking for a captcha (which of course isn't viable to try and bypass)

What you could try doing is change your IP address, which the easiest way is restarting your router, though that isn't always a 100% guarantee of a new IP. Still something worth trying, I can't do much without experiencing this issue myself unfortunately...

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
@phnthnhnm Actually forget that, I just found the issue. First of all you should delete (or edit) your reply with that file, it contains your IP address. Second of all, I ran a check on it and found your issue:
1625274542514.png
This is what I was talking about, negative reputation on your IP address. Now I don't care what any of this means, but I'm confident you know what the issue is yourself.

phnthnhnm

Apr 17, 2018
@phnthnhnm Actually forget that, I just found the issue. First of all you should delete (or edit) your reply with that file, it contains your IP address. Second of all, I ran a check on it and found your issue:
View attachment 1277826
This is what I was talking about, negative reputation on your IP address. Now I don't care what any of this means, but I'm confident you know what the issue is yourself.
I changed my IP and it still has negative reputation. Guess I'm out of luck, thanks for your help anyways.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I changed my IP and it still has negative reputation. Guess I'm out of luck, thanks for your help anyways.
In that case it might very well be your ISP being relatively new or acting shady... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mercii

Jan 11, 2020
3 questions:

1) why does ist explicitely need administrative privileges to start (see manifest)?
For that simple things this gui provides, I don't see any reason for it.

2) the application cannot find any of the browsers installed (I have Pale Moon and Brave [in my user profile] installed). As the application relegates most of its stuff to the browsers anyway, I cannot do anything with it. You should redesign that and reduce the browser buttons to one and ask for the browser executable, if it cannot find one.

A better implementation would be using the embedded qtweb browser engine instead, as then there is no need for any external browser thingies and just put the selected game's thread into the lower half of the window.

mercii

Jan 11, 2020
Some suggestions:
- description text or embedded browser windows -- as last post
- option to disable striped bars
- option to hide games which have not been updated (and not downloaded)
- option to download game or present download links
- option to highlight updated games
- option to display an icon for NEW UPDATE

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
mercii ok so, questions:

1: to be totally honest I don’t fully recall why exactly I put it that way in the spec file, a long time ago temporary html files were stored in the windows temp directory so it needed admin for that, now I guess I didn’t remove it to avoid issues in case someone puts the program in a restricted folder, idk... I’ll experiment and see what happens without admin privilege. Tbh I had forgotten it even did that since I disabled the UAC popup on my pc so I never even think about that

2: just like I said with another user in a previous reply, the tool looks in the registry as browsers usually create some keys to allow setting the default we browser for the entire OS, so if they didn’t do that for you it might have been a problem while installing or idk, though I guess I could remove the Opera button and add a custom button that lets you select a custom executable, though that might present issues with the “private browser” option as all browser use different command line flags for starting in a private tab

3: in my opinion that would just complicate stuff, the way it is now users are more in control and can do it the way they want using their own web browser of choice, also making the transition to the tool easier

Then about the message you deleted:

Yes it can kinda be confusing at first but you can read in the description the “How to use” section and it should give a good enough explanation. Anyway this is how I personally use the tool:
Add games, refresh every time I open the tool, so that if a game was updated I get a popup for it, then I always keep sorting on “Last updated” so that even if I miss the popup I can just look at the list and the top games are the most recently updated; when I have downloaded a game to my hard drive I check the download checkbox, and when I am done playing the game I check the finished / played checkbox next to it. Hope that gives you a better idea of the intended way to use the tool.

Finally, suggestions:

1: embedded browser is a no from me, though descriptions are indeed needed. As most other details, they will go into the changelog screen (left click on game name) though I will probably start calling it details screen / panel

2: disabling alternating rows is not needed, you can do it yourself! Go to edit the GUI colors and there is an option for alternate background or whatever it’s called (I’m not at my pc right now), just make it the same color as the normal background

3: I don’t see the need to hide games that have not been updated... just use the last updated sort? Anyway filtering options are planned, so yea you will be able to hide games based on a lot of criteria (personal rating, played, downloaded, completed, on hold, abandoned...)

4: as I’ve always said downloading will never be added. Download links are also planned to be added to the details panel soon.

5: highlight is already present, here’s how it works: a game is highlighted as long as the played checkbox is not checked, so when you check the text is white, when it is not checked it is highlighted with the accent color you set. This also means that after a game gets updated the two checkboxes get unchecked automatically and the game will be highlighted. I am unlikely to change this

6: again, you have popup and sorting for that, I don’t want to add more clutter

Also if you want to fork this feel free to do so, it’s your call, that’s what FOSS is for isn’t it? :D
I’ll continue to develop my project the way I feel it should be as long as I’m interested in doing so :D

bitogno

May 9, 2018
Hi,
If you're interested, I've added an option to display the game type (VN, RPG, ...) and the game engine (Renpy, ...) in the game list. The changes are in the patch file in the attached zip file. You can add the patch with git am < patch_file.patch.

The patch make the tool retrieve the game engine and the game type when adding a game (which means it won't affect previously added games). It also add 2 checkbox to display or not the game engine/type in the list. If there's no info (for example if the game page doesn't contains game type info or for a game added before the patch was applied), the tool will display nothing, even with both checkbox selected.

Here's what the game list would look like with the patch:
Code:
[VN] [Renpy] Game Name
[VN] Game Name
[Renpy] Game Name
Game Name

P.S.: Sorry for not using GitHub's PR system but my GitHub account is the one I use for work. Adding the patch to the repo should be trivial though as git was made with using patch files in mind. You can use those commands to apply the patch:
Bash:
git apply --stat file.patch             # Show stats
git apply --check file.patch            # Check the patch for errors
git am < file.patch                     # Apply the patch (same command as above)

Iconick

Feb 18, 2021
Please forgive me if I am asking a stupid question, but I'd rather be sure. In your OP I have seen your VirusTotal results. But after downloading and extracting, when I run the F95Checker.exe, my antivirus automatically quarantines it. After this happened a couple of times, I decided to check the file with VirusTotal as you had (even though yours was a GitHub check) and it returns with 1 negative result. Funnily enough, the application that shows a result for it (McAffee) is not the application that I am running myself. I'm sure you can understand me just wanting to be safe and double-check whether or not there is a problem with the .exe.

Here is the result I get when checking the F95Checker.exe file itself (since it's the thing my antivirus is quarantining).

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Please forgive me if I am asking a stupid question, but I'd rather be sure. In your OP I have seen your VirusTotal results. But after downloading and extracting, when I run the F95Checker.exe, my antivirus automatically quarantines it. After this happened a couple of times, I decided to check the file with VirusTotal as you had (even though yours was a GitHub check) and it returns with 1 negative result. Funnily enough, the application that shows a result for it (McAffee) is not the application that I am running myself. I'm sure you can understand me just wanting to be safe and double-check whether or not there is a problem with the .exe.

Here is the result I get when checking the F95Checker.exe file itself (since it's the thing my antivirus is quarantining).
Not a stupid question, it's alright to be worried.
What I have to say in matter is that antiviruses are simply stupid, there' s no two ways about it. Sadly there are no consistent ways to tell if something is a threat so they just go off of user counts, certificates and chunks of bytecode known to be present in common malware. In the past many builds of this tool even came up with 22/60 detections, and that is all down to how the code was being turned into a .exe, so you can see how stupid and useless antiviruses are when just compiling the .exe in a different way but with the same code turns out 0/60 or 1/60 detections.
That 1 detection you got is likely a false positive. Going back to the points I mentioned before, this tool has a very small userbase (from the GitHub release downloads you can estimate a total of ~ 300 users), the certificate is missing from my executables since certs cost upwards of 100$ so there is no way I' m signing a tool that I code as a hobby, and lastly this is a python application, meaning that my code is not actually being run on your machine, you are running someone else's executable (the python infrastructure and all the libraries I use) that reads my code and then runs it.
All of this means that the detection you are getting could be caused by many variables and is very likely a false positive, may it be due to few users using it, a missing certificate or even an underlying part of software not developed by me that is needed to run this.

To finish off I'll say how I personally handle stuff like this. I think I've made it clear enough how I feel about antiviruses, and that is also why I don't have one, of course I have Windows Defender installed but I keep it disabled. The best antivirus you can use is your brain, so when you are wondering whether something is benign or malware, just weigh the circumstances and come to a verdict for yourself. In this tool's case, it is completely open source (which means that you can see for yourself everything it does and all the code behind it), meaning that I would be stupid to include malware as anyone could see it in plain sight, and then seeing how inconsistent and retarded antiviruses are you can often consider even up to 6 or 7 detections out of 60 as false positives. Or at least that's what I do.
If you really are dubious of a program, run it a VM to make sure, and finally a good practice is to do a clean reinstall of Windows every year or so

Reactions: Iconick

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Hi,
If you're interested, I've added an option to display the game type (VN, RPG, ...) and the game engine (Renpy, ...) in the game list. The changes are in the patch file in the attached zip file. You can add the patch with git am < patch_file.patch.

The patch make the tool retrieve the game engine and the game type when adding a game (which means it won't affect previously added games). It also add 2 checkbox to display or not the game engine/type in the list. If there's no info (for example if the game page doesn't contains game type info or for a game added before the patch was applied), the tool will display nothing, even with both checkbox selected.

Here's what the game list would look like with the patch:
Code:
[VN] [Renpy] Game Name
[VN] Game Name
[Renpy] Game Name
Game Name

P.S.: Sorry for not using GitHub's PR system but my GitHub account is the one I use for work. Adding the patch to the repo should be trivial though as git was made with using patch files in mind. You can use those commands to apply the patch:
Bash:
git apply --stat file.patch             # Show stats
git apply --check file.patch            # Check the patch for errors
git am < file.patch                     # Apply the patch (same command as above)
thanks for the contribution! ill look into it next time i work on the tool (which might be in a while because of summer break)

Iconick

Feb 18, 2021
Not a stupid question, it's alright to be worried.
What I have to say in matter is that antiviruses are simply stupid, there' s no two ways about it. Sadly there are no consistent ways to tell if something is a threat so they just go off of user counts, certificates and chunks of bytecode known to be present in common malware. In the past many builds of this tool even came up with 22/60 detections, and that is all down to how the code was being turned into a .exe, so you can see how stupid and useless antiviruses are when just compiling the .exe in a different way but with the same code turns out 0/60 or 1/60 detections.
That 1 detection you got is likely a false positive. Going back to the points I mentioned before, this tool has a very small userbase (from the GitHub release downloads you can estimate a total of ~ 300 users), the certificate is missing from my executables since certs cost upwards of 100$ so there is no way I' m signing a tool that I code as a hobby, and lastly this is a python application, meaning that my code is not actually being run on your machine, you are running someone else's executable (the python infrastructure and all the libraries I use) that reads my code and then runs it.
All of this means that the detection you are getting could be caused by many variables and is very likely a false positive, may it be due to few users using it, a missing certificate or even an underlying part of software not developed by me that is needed to run this.

To finish off I'll say how I personally handle stuff like this. I think I've made it clear enough how I feel about antiviruses, and that is also why I don't have one, of course I have Windows Defender installed but I keep it disabled. The best antivirus you can use is your brain, so when you are wondering whether something is benign or malware, just weigh the circumstances and come to a verdict for yourself. In this tool's case, it is completely open source (which means that you can see for yourself everything it does and all the code behind it), meaning that I would be stupid to include malware as anyone could see it in plain sight, and then seeing how inconsistent and retarded antiviruses are you can often consider even up to 6 or 7 detections out of 60 as false positives. Or at least that's what I do.
If you really are dubious of a program, run it a VM to make sure, and finally a good practice is to do a clean reinstall of Windows every year or so
Thank you for understanding and for taking the time to respond. I already felt fairly certain that it was a false positive, especially since it was only 1/60 results...and that one didn't even match up with the antivirus that I am running. So again, thank you for putting my mind at ease. I look forward to using your program, as I have downloaded and played quite a large amount of "games" from F95, and trying to keep up with when or if any of them are updated is quite a hassle. Best of luck to you and I'll be sure to keep you posted if I ever come across any issues.

Enjoy your summer!

Reactions: WillyJL

c1ar3

Aug 5, 2017
Thanks for making this linux compatible, huge time saver!

Just wish it was more portable or maybe had a backup feature so I dont lose my list accidentally (unless it is and I'm missing some thing).

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Thanks for making this linux compatible, huge time saver!

Just wish it was more portable or maybe had a backup feature so I dont lose my list accidentally (unless it is and I'm missing some thing).
it is planned! the edit button will show 3 new buttons, export import and clear list, it will all work as a list of thread links so you can also use this to add games faster by just using a list of links

c1ar3

Aug 5, 2017
it is planned! the edit button will show 3 new buttons, export import and clear list, it will all work as a list of thread links so you can also use this to add games faster by just using a list of links
Good to know and thanks for the reply and the program.

Reactions: WillyJL

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
c1ar3 however since you're a linux user i'm guessing you can manage browsing the filesystem, you can backup everything related to the program, including game list, account, cookies (used for persistency with login, especially with 2FA), colors, settings etc... by making a copy of the config file. it's located at ~/.f95checker/f95checker.json, so unless you have some weird configuration it should be at /home/username/.f95checker/f95checker.json
just make sure to only tamper with it while the tool is closed!

AmBush-UK

Aug 1, 2018
Just found this, Although I do like using the LU , There have been times when I've had Drive failure or more recently Upgraded to better laptop when I just want to get games back. This will be useful there. (Now i store all my games on seperate Drive to OS and I have the App with all my Portable Apps Looking good until I Went to open a page, Alas My favored web browser ain't listed :cry:
Vivaldi I think I saw a couple of others request support for it too (y)

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Just found this, Although I do like using the LU , There have been times when I've had Drive failure or more recently Upgraded to better laptop when I just want to get games back. This will be useful there. (Now i store all my games on seperate Drive to OS and I have the App with all my Portable Apps Looking good until I Went to open a page, Alas My favored web browser ain't listed :cry:
Vivaldi I think I saw a couple of others request support for it too (y)
i am planning to add custom browser support soon, dont worry! though i might not get to updating the tool for a while, but it is planned. im probably gonna remove the standard opera since ive never seen anyone use that over opera gx, shift the opera gx button the left by one and in the bottom might add the custom browser button that will allow you to select your own .exe... however for this you will need to know what command line flag your browser uses to open pages in private mode, if you want it to open pages in private mode that is.

Reactions: AmBush-UK
5.00 star(s) 21 Votes