Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

GERTRUD12

Jun 12, 2017
after you talked about this issue with the update *to* 10.0, i had made the fix for console output during updates, and made a fake binary for you to try but you missed it, so that fix for console output is now in 10.1.1 and will be used for the update to the next version... since i knew of the issue *after* 10.0 was out, 10.0 itself does not have the fix. it is in 10.1.1, and will be used for the next update. now it actually isnt even a real fix, it just fixes the console output so we can know what goes wrong. if you check out that fake binary now it will try to update to 10.1.1 but that one *does* have the console output fixed, so that could give some info.
totally did not see that till JUST now, I'll try this, one thing I have to add is it seems like the new update gets download, extracted and then located in the %temp% because when opened it up to check and see if that program had updated it looked like it had, it didnt promt me to update and it says 10.1.1

Also chkdsk show no errors
I'll try the thing you linked! (y)

EDIT: Could the issue be that the folder is hidden? Since it downloads, extracts, and then puts it it temp, could it be that it just doesn't know where to put the update since the folder that I have the program in is hidden? ( dont know why i NEVER thought of this)

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
totally did not see that till JUST now, I'll try this, one thing I have to add is it seems like the new update gets download, extracted and then located in the %temp% because when opened it up to check and see if that program had updated it looked like it had, it didnt promt me to update and it says 10.1.1

Also chkdsk show no errors
I'll try the thing you linked! (y)

EDIT: Could the issue be that the folder is hidden? Since it downloads, extracts, and then puts it it temp, could it be that it just doesn't know where to put the update since the folder that I have the program in is hidden? ( dont know why i NEVER thought of this)
a hidden folder is hidden for a reason. its there, just hidden. its only cosmetic. you can enable hidden files lol

GERTRUD12

Jun 12, 2017
a hidden folder is hidden for a reason. its there, just hidden. its only cosmetic. you can enable hidden files lol
Oh sad, here I though I had "fix" the issue, damn :LUL: Well I tried to see if the issue was that I had hidden my "Adult games" folder
EDIT: Didn't work.

Well, now come a second question, how do I download the file/program from the you send? Sorry, I'm not too good at github o_O
EDIT2: from the looks of it (depending on whether or not i did the wrong thing) this did not work either, the powershell still shows up as blank.

Nvm that LUL

EDIT3: I decided to manually update again(I think I fuck it up :LUL:) I am still willing to see if the powershell thing works, I will give what info I can to find a way to get the auto updater to work, with that said, even the "start with system" haven't worked properly I had to add it my self to the start folder in windows.

Last edited:

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Oh sad, here I though I had "fix" the issue, damn :LUL: Well I tried to see if the issue was that I had hidden my "Adult games" folder
EDIT: Didn't work.

Well, now come a second question, how do I download the file/program from the you send? Sorry, I'm not too good at github o_O
EDIT2: from the looks of it (depending on whether or not i did the wrong thing) this did not work either, the powershell still shows up as blank.

Nvm that LUL

EDIT3: I decided to manually update again(I think I fuck it up :LUL:) I am still willing to see if the powershell thing works, I will give what info I can to find a way to get the auto updater to work, with that said, even the "start with system" haven't worked properly I had to add it my self to the start folder in windows.
try , it was right before the 10.1.1 release but marked as beta so it will try to update to the 10.1.1 official release. this way you can test only the update process.

also, you fuck around a bit too much, no wonder things are jittery and dont work. i cant even keep up with what you have done or not. i want to help you but like this its hard.
dont keep multiple installs. dont use shortcut files. dont put it in stupid places. use the desktop. dont fuck around with any of the temp folders. actually dont fuck around at all.

download the link i put up here. extract it and run the debug exe. right click refresh and do check notifs, accept the update. maybe do this while screen recording so if something goes wrong we can see it better.

once stuff is figured out, then you can put it in your hidden folder, use weird shortcut files, whatever you want. but to diagnose issues i need cooperation and a level and normal playing field. if you cant be bothered then fair enough, youre the only one with these issues, i can live just fine knowing you have to manually update.

for github actions downloads you need a github account, then in the link i put click on your platform in the artifacts section to download the build. check FAQ otherwise.

Reactions: GERTRUD12

GERTRUD12

Jun 12, 2017
also, you fuck around a bit too much, no wonder things are jittery and dont work. i cant even keep up with what you have done or not. i want to help you but like this its hard.
dont keep multiple installs. dont use shortcut files. dont put it in stupid places. use the desktop. dont fuck around with any of the temp folders. actually dont fuck around at all.
Dont keep multiple installs
I don't. All i said was the temp folder had the newest update, my folder was not updated at all.

Dont use shortcut files.
I don't, but in order to get the program to start on windows start up i had to add a shortcut to the startup folder in windows. that has made it work. the in app option has not worked for me either.

dont put it in stupid places.
I am unsure what you mean with this, i have it in my secondary drive, i wouldn't say that is a stupid place, it is in sub folders but not in some random ass place on my PC, granted it IS in a hidden folder since i don't want people to find it.

Dont fuck around with any of the temp folders
The only reason i did this was because, I felt like i had use all the possible options we talked about the first time, and when some other users suggested this (which seemed reasonable) I did they they suggested.

I know i have been very VERY confusing to help but i have only been trying to do what i could do on my end, i also know i have been sporadic when it comes to my responses and what i have done on my end, i tried to be better in the post i posted today and state what i had done, when i wrote my last post i was very tired which doesn't excuse me but, look man, i just don't understand why my auto updater doesn't want to work! i love this app, and just wanted it to auto-update/start on windows startup.

Extract it and run the debug exe. right click refresh and do check notifs, accept the update.
Use the desktop.
Do you think that would work? since it doesnt work in the second drive, could it be simply having it on the C: drive/desktop could fix it?
I asked about this but i was told it wouldn't matter.

Turns out, the issue was, that the program was not installed on the main OS drive/desktop. I did exactly as you asked here both on my secondary drive (to test it) and on my main OS drive, the first did NOT work, when i moved it to the desktop it work immediately, turns out the one option i was told wouldn't matter, mattered!

Hopefully this will clear up some of my sporadic replies (LUL) and as states, i want to give as much info as i can! i even recorded it like you asked but then it just worked on the desktop immediately.

Reactions: WillyJL
Dec 3, 2020
So I'm thinking of running an experiment where I sync (via MegaSync) the application folder with a second pc that I'm using (running the same OS). If I mirror the main folder directory of the app + the APPDATA folder that contains the game images, do you foresee any issues?

Nov 28, 2019
and indeed it seems to be the same error as them. reading your comment initially it sounded like you were having a crash on start, but thats clearly not the case. as i already explained to the other user, the issue is with the filepicker testing to see what other drives exist on the system to show a dropdown allowing you to switch between them. i had not done extensive testing on it, being a linux user and not having drive letters, so it turned out it could have permission errors. as i mentioned here it is fixed and will be released soon-ish. i suggest you just get the latest beta build
The problem still exists, even on the new 10.1.1. Which, or what type of user does the file picker use on Windows? Like I mentioned in my last post, when reading up on the error code, someone said something about the system thinking the user signed out and was logging back in, so Windows requests the login credentials of the user. If the file picker uses a different user than the one who started "F95Checker.exe" there might be a conflict. Again, I'm not a developer, but something along those lines was the gist I got from other forum threads about the error.

Dukez

Dec 19, 2020
Just a QoL thing that could be added, when we tick the box so we mark the game as played it should update the game info menu as that being the last time it was played -- even if the games never been launched through this program.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Dont keep multiple installs
I don't. All i said was the temp folder had the newest update, my folder was not updated at all.

Dont use shortcut files.
I don't, but in order to get the program to start on windows start up i had to add a shortcut to the startup folder in windows. that has made it work. the in app option has not worked for me either.

dont put it in stupid places.
I am unsure what you mean with this, i have it in my secondary drive, i wouldn't say that is a stupid place, it is in sub folders but not in some random ass place on my PC, granted it IS in a hidden folder since i don't want people to find it.

Dont fuck around with any of the temp folders
The only reason i did this was because, I felt like i had use all the possible options we talked about the first time, and when some other users suggested this (which seemed reasonable) I did they they suggested.

I know i have been very VERY confusing to help but i have only been trying to do what i could do on my end, i also know i have been sporadic when it comes to my responses and what i have done on my end, i tried to be better in the post i posted today and state what i had done, when i wrote my last post i was very tired which doesn't excuse me but, look man, i just don't understand why my auto updater doesn't want to work! i love this app, and just wanted it to auto-update/start on windows startup.

Use the desktop.
Do you think that would work? since it doesnt work in the second drive, could it be simply having it on the C: drive/desktop could fix it?
I asked about this but i was told it wouldn't matter.

Turns out, the issue was, that the program was not installed on the main OS drive/desktop. I did exactly as you asked here both on my secondary drive (to test it) and on my main OS drive, the first did NOT work, when i moved it to the desktop it work immediately, turns out the one option i was told wouldn't matter, mattered!

Hopefully this will clear up some of my sporadic replies (LUL) and as states, i want to give as much info as i can! i even recorded it like you asked but then it just worked on the desktop immediately.
might just be a simple permission issue then. anyway, the powershell prompt still never showed anything?

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
So I'm thinking of running an experiment where I sync (via MegaSync) the application folder with a second pc that I'm using (running the same OS). If I mirror the main folder directory of the app + the APPDATA folder that contains the game images, do you foresee any issues?
syncing the program is a waste of time. thats just the runtime, it has nothing to do with your data. you should sync the db.sqlite3 file in appdata, maybe imgui.ini if you want the interface settings (enabled columns, order and so on) to be sycned. the images folder is also somewhat of a waste, they get downloaded if detected missing so they would just get downloaded on one place then also on the other (although, when an update changes the image for the game, one of the 2 pcs would keep the old image, so its up to you). only thing is make sure both the apps are closed while syncing, and dont make changes on one end while the other is syncing, other that that it should be fine

Reactions: Brine_Basilisk

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Is it possible to make the program react to changes in the inserted link in custom games, for example, I inserted a link to a game and there is a game name with a version in the link, now I checked the game on the custom website and the version in the link changed. That is, the link in the application and on the website differ by one digit. It would be cool if the program responded to this change and changed the "installed" icon
custom games are fully manual, thats not gonna change sorry. its already enough of a clusterfuck managing updates for f95zone, cant possibly make an all in one system that tries to work blindly for other platforms

Reactions: simple_human

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Just a QoL thing that could be added, when we tick the box so we mark the game as played it should update the game info menu as that being the last time it was played -- even if the games never been launched through this program.
perhaps

GERTRUD12

Jun 12, 2017
might just be a simple permission issue then. anyway, the powershell prompt still never showed anything?
I was not getting the powershell this time around but the a CMD window.

Here is what it said when it was done and relaunched the program cmd window on update with the f95checker debug exe.png

GERTRUD12

Jun 12, 2017
ok so thats when it goes good. how about when its on the other drive?
it disappears so quickly that I had record it and go frame by frame, but i got a picture, it just says-
View attachment 2339706
nothing happens after. :(

I got it mate! I had not seen that there was a " ' " in the folder name, that caused the whole issue, after removing that symbol it seems to work in the second drive as well, it gave me the same text prompt as the first picture!

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I got it mate! I had not seen that there was a " ' " in the folder name, that caused the whole issue, after removing that symbol it seems to work in the second drive as well, it gave me the same as the first picture!
talk about putting it in stupid places ahahahha
spaces, ', ", <, >, =, *, {, }, [, ], `, |, ;, @, $, ^, & and - (at the beginning) are all issues just begging and waiting to happen. from that list maybe only spaces are usually ok at this point, others you should really avoid

• Haha
Reactions: GERTRUD12

GERTRUD12

Jun 12, 2017
talk about putting it in stupid places ahahahha
spaces, ', ", <, >, =, *, {, }, [, ], `, |, ;, @, $, ^, & and - (at the beginning) are all issues just begging and waiting to happen. from that list maybe only spaces are usually ok at this point, others you should really avoid
its not easy having bad eyes :LUL: well at least now it is fixed, thanks for the help!

Reactions: WillyJL

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
I just did a Refresh and the program did full rechecks on all tracked games. o_O

It could have been something I did, but if so I have no idea what it could have been. If there's some feature that activates full rechecks of everything I presumably did it by accident.

Either way, if this is a feature maybe consider a warning dialog before hand for the sake of kleptos like me who track a ridiculous number of games.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I just did a Refresh and the program did full rechecks on all tracked games. o_O

It could have been something I did, but if so I have no idea what it could have been. If there's some feature that activates full rechecks of everything I presumably did it by accident.

Either way, if this is a feature maybe consider a warning dialog before hand for the sake of kleptos like me who track a ridiculous number of games.
always has been like this. a full recheck happens when a redirect was found, this game hasnt been fully rechecked in more than a week, if its image is missing from drive, or if the game was last checked on a previous version based on some thresholds. since many updates change how some information is handled / detected, when the game was last checked on a version prior to of those versions that received such api changes, then it does a full check to get the updated information. with 10.1.1 i changed how refreshing works greatly (scroll up / prev page), so a full refresh was needed and rightfully queued. as for why there is no warning, first i dont really see the need, if you dont want it to go on just click the button again and it will stop, you can then do it some other time; second, the check for whether to do a full check is done on a per game basis, and well into the refresh process, so its not possible / highly inconvenient to check beforehand. and anyway, now of all times is the worst time to request something like this. previously, each fast check needed a connection to f95zone to check for redirects, so youd have to go through hundreds of connections, one per game, to know if each one needed a full check, so the full checks were done together with the fast checks, unpredictably, almost at random, and without being able to know how many were gonna happen in total. now, the fast rechecks take 100 times less requests (read up/before) and 500 games can be fast checked with 5 requests, which are even faster than what was used before, so the fast recheck is instant. this also means that full checks are queued to happen after the fast checks, so when the full checks start you can see exactly how many there are in the bottom right, when previously it couldn't know how many there are.

Reactions: baloneysammich
5.00 star(s) 21 Votes