Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
@WillyJL I've got a small request of my own, and probably not worth the effort, but if you happen to come up with an idea how-to it'd be appreciated.
Custom Games are now identified by the Status filter. This makes it so one thing can't be set for them, and that is their actual true status. I've recently landed on (the site that should not be named but starts with an L and has an angular end) and I'm beginning to grow a small collection of Custom Games from there, some of which are already completed, but there's currently no way for me to set this as status. I've worked around this for now by using Notes or just adding it to the name.
Initially I tried using a custom label for this, but then they also turn up as kanban column... and it adds a bit of filtering problem because it gives either one (status) or the other set (label) but not both... (status complete and label complete)

I honestly don't know what the best solution would be... at first I thought about extending the status with icons that show half of the custom icon and half of the actual status, but since these are characters that turned out to be a dumb idea.
The only way I could see this work would be if the custom icon would be a label so that you can have the status set manually... but that will pose problems with already existing custom games and make it prone to accidental deletion, since these would then need to be converted somehow to have the status changed to a label if encountered. Headaches all around...

Like I said, this is just a cosmetic thing, and the filtering, well, since it's on the drawing board anyways, perhaps something to add to the list of what you come up with when you have an idea how to give this shape.
If it weren't for the fact that folks already have custom games as status and labels can be accidentally deleted, having it as a label and being able to select status manually would have been the simplest, but apart from the delete risk, going from one state to another would also require including conversion code similar to encountering a non-existing db and a json file from 8.x or earlier. With all of the additional possible pitfalls...
might make it its own flag

Oh, and a small niglet, but this one is reeeaaaall low priority...
When you try to select or place the cursor into either the description or changelog boxes of custom games, you need to start the selection/place the cursor one character to the left of the actual character where you want the selection to start/cursor to be placed.
0 vs. 1 index starting point?
not sure... might be due to how imgui calculates margins... will have a poke at it

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
This is an awesome program, been looking for a way to manage my game bucket list and after a long time thinking this I found this and its exactly what I needed. One thing I wonder though. Is there a way to sort by game prefixes, like the VN tag? I can't find the VN tag under type and it does not show it on game interface in the program, only the engine.
chose to have game types be single value, so some prefixes take precedence over others... maybe you could filter by tags... but not worth the effort to completely change the current system

anything new about the mac log in issue? WillyJL wish my buddy could use your awesome tool he is waiting eagerly
not yet. been busy with life, uni and other projects. ima try to get the update out in next few days, build system needs a rework, hopefully that will fix the issue

not to be harassing but when is the update that officially fixes it?
answer above should give you an idea

Last edited:

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Same error really :/
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Log file is empty.
If it helps, I can run snippets of python code for WillyJL outside the program to try to figure out which function is throwing the error and what could be a fix, considering he probably doesn't have a scenario where this code is running in.

Edit:

ALthough I'd be inclined to believe that if this code:
Python:
for letter in string.ascii_uppercase:
    drive = f"{letter}:\\"
    try:
        drive_exists = pathlib.Path(drive).exists()
    except PermissionError:
        drive_exists = True
Was changed to this code:
Python:
for letter in string.ascii_uppercase:
    drive = f"{letter}:\\"
    try:
        drive_exists = pathlib.Path(drive).exists()
    except PermissionError:
        drive_exists = True
    except OSError:
        drive_exists = False
it'd probably work :)
that does indeed look like a solution, thanks

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: jeff100

Nerro

Sep 9, 2017
chose to have game types be single value, so some prefixes take precedence over others... maybe you could filter by tags... but not worth the effort to completely change the current system

not yet. been busy with life, uni and other projects. ima try to get the update out in next few days, build system needs a rework, hopefully that will fix the issue

answer above should give you an idea
Thanks for the reply and thanks for your work. A few things I hope to see in the future:
1. A view and sorting option for game thread based on views/likes since forum ratings is a flawed way to sort for good games(One 5 star vote makes the game 5 stars)

2. A way to select multiple entries for labelling/deletion/update star check

Also would like to ask how "gamer friendly" having the tool running in BG is? I got a strong rig but if the BG refreshing takes a lot of ressources even for a short time, I would rather not have it give me fps drops and such. If that is the case, I can't use it in BG sadly :(

Nerro

Sep 9, 2017
While I'm not particularly interested in this feature for the tool, what do you think of the Weighted Rating used by the site?
I'm not exactly sure how the weighting works but it seems to work fairly well in listing games based on rating+number of votes. But I know that F95Checker dont use it, it just sorts by whatever rating the threads say because most of the "top rated" games I get are obscure games with 1 person rating it 5 stars.

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
I'm not exactly sure how the weighting works but it seems to work fairly well in listing games based on rating+number of votes. But I know that F95Checker dont use it, it just sorts by whatever rating the threads say because most of the "top rated" games I get are obscure games with 1 person rating it 5 stars.
The forum uses a Bayesian average but the exact formula isn't disclosed AFAICT.

Yeah the tool's rating sort is unsophisticated, just a simple numerical sort AFAICT, but since the games I track are self-selected already I don't concern myself with ratings very much. But who knows, WillyJL is final arbiter after all.

Nerro

Sep 9, 2017
The forum uses a Bayesian average but the exact formula isn't disclosed AFAICT.

Yeah the tool's rating sort is unsophisticated, just a simple numerical sort AFAICT, but since the games I track are self-selected already I don't concern myself with ratings very much. But who knows, WillyJL is final arbiter after all.
Yeah its tough when you got over 500 games on the the checker xD

• Haha
Reactions: baloneysammich

jeff100

Sep 11, 2020
A suggestion tho, have the option to mark a game as played without launching the .exe :) a "Mark as played" of sorts.

OneMtSack

Jan 14, 2022
A suggestion tho, have the option to mark a game as played without launching the .exe :) a "Mark as played" of sorts.
Are you referring to the Last Played date? If so, if it says Never, hover your mouse over it and click it. It will set it to the current date.

Sorry, If this isn't what you were referring to just ignore the man behind the curtain!

• Red Heart
Reactions: jeff100

jeff100

Sep 11, 2020
Are you referring to the Last Played date? If so, if it says Never, hover your mouse over it and click it. It will set it to the current date.

Sorry, If this isn't what you were referring to just ignore the man behind the curtain!
That was what I was referring to. Thank you! :)

Reactions: OneMtSack

DeadGrowl

Nov 22, 2021
I got this warning when I tried to refresh manually.
I attach a screenshot and the file in question.

1678972946303.png

Edit1: Now it works all of a sudden.

Last edited:
Reactions: xXxNeospiritxXx

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
Got another one where parsing of the thread frags up... Just like with Long Story Short, the description of Her Heart's Desire. instead of the game overview, shows part of the changelog.

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
I got this warning when I tried to refresh manually.
I attach a screenshot and the file in question.
Edit1: Now it works all of a sudden.
same failure message *edit works fine again
Might be the site is running a backup cycle, or just a having a general hickup... if you get an error like that or other error msgs indicating something went wrong, check if you can access the site in a browser, and if that than works, chances are high the next time you try refresh it'll work as before

Reactions: DeadGrowl

mrttao

Forum Fanatic
Jun 11, 2021
Feature Request:
would be great if there was an option to change how F95checker decides if a thread was updated.
Currently it uses the manually inputted line in OP that says "thread updated: [date]".

I would like it if I could instead tell it to use either of:
1. the automatically generated "post edited" timestamp in the bottom right of the 1st post.
2. the date at which F95checker last modified the info (aka. found something different)

I notice quite often that uploaders forget to change the thread updated line.
And I think either of the other 2 methods would be preferable.

The methods I wrote could create a false positive (checker thinks a game updated when it didn't)
But I think that is preferable to missing out on an update
I imagine not everyone would agree hence suggesting it would be optional

Last edited:

shmanzu

Aug 3, 2020
I'm struggling with this on Linux, can't get it to do anything at all. It starts up alright but never logs in, never asks for login details and I can't see anywhere to add any, doesn't matter which browser is selected. I've tried restarting everything and clearing cookies, etc. All I can do is add games with a URL but it does nothing with them since it never connects.

If it's any help, here's the sparse contents of log.txt
Code:
Attribute Qt::AA_ShareOpenGLContexts must be set before QCoreApplication is created.
WARNING: QApplication was not created in the main() thread.

(F95Checker:1732): GLib-CRITICAL **: 10:09:01.921: g_main_context_push_thread_default: assertion 'acquired_context' failed
Attribute Qt::AA_ShareOpenGLContexts must be set before QCoreApplication is created.
WARNING: QApplication was not created in the main() thread.

I'm having the same same issue on version 10.1.1.

I'm running it on OS: EndeavourOS Linux x86_64, DE: GNOME 43.3

jeff100

Sep 11, 2020
Feature request: Save the last played version of the game alongside the last played date.

Sometimes a game has an update but the version just changed from "0.17.6" to "0.17.8" which is a minor change and for certain games I'm only interested in major version changes. Having the last played version would be beyond great.

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes