Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
Oooohhh, this is hopefully gonna make life much easier :)

One question though... Why does it need elevated privs in Win10? Always causes a UAC dialog on start... kinda annoying

Do have a request though, instead of having those six browser buttons looking for which is the default system browser, make it configurable for portable installs of said browsers (except of course Edge)? So that I can choose which browser to use (my preferred is Opera GX but running as a portable install) by clicking the button for that browser?

EDIT1: Also would love an additional QoL sort option ("Not Played" sub-sorted on "Downloaded=yes > no" sub sorted on "Alphabetical")
or...
just add headers above each item and sort according to clicked header while retaining the previous sort within the next clicked header
e.q. after clicking the "played" header if the next clicked header would be "downloaded" then only the "played" selection would get sorted on "downloaded", and if the next clicked header is "title" then titles would get sorted within the "played " and "downloaded" section .
Clicking any header for the second time could then reset all previous sorts back to sorting on only that header

EDIT2: uhm, suggestions for additional colums
a column showing the developer...
a column for a user specified, custom tag
move the game's state (onhold/abandoned/completed) into its own column.

Last edited:

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
One question though... Why does it need elevated privs in Win10? Always causes a UAC dialog on start... kinda annoying
youre not the first to ask, and i keep forgetting to fix it. i dont really remember why i added it in the first place, it was long ago so i dont know if its needed anymore, ill test a bit and maybe remove it in the next update. also if those uac prompts are annoying to you and you know what youre doing with your pc you could also disable them (which is what i do): search "uac" on the start menu, open the first result and move the slider all the way down; that will remove all uac prompts.
Do have a request though, instead of having those six browser buttons looking for which is the default system browser, make it configurable for portable installs of said browsers (except of course Edge)? So that I can choose which browser to use (my preferred is Opera GX but running as a portable install) by clicking the button for that browser?
why does no one use the very useful and clearly labelled "Planned Features Tracker" section of the original post? it is planned, i will remove the Opera button and add a new "Custom" button that lest you select a browser executable yourself
EDIT1: Also would love an additional QoL sort option ("Not Played" sub-sorted on "Downloaded=yes > no" sub sorted on "Alphabetical")
or...
just add headers above each item and sort according to clicked header while retaining the previous sort within the next clicked header
e.q. after clicking the "played" header if the next clicked header would be "downloaded" then only the "played" selection would get sorted on "downloaded", and if the next clicked header is "title" then titles would get sorted within the "played " and "downloaded" section .
Clicking any header for the second time could then reset all previous sorts back to sorting on only that header
that is way too complex, this is just a simple and humble tool that checks for updates, not a spaceship. however more filtering and sorting options are coming in the next update, as hinted before you should check the "Planned Features Tracker" section of the original post.
a column showing the developer...
a column for a user specified, custom tag
yes and no. the interface is borderline too cluttered for my taste so i won't be adding more columns. however, there will be more details visible in the game details popoup (click on game name) like developer, tags, engine and more. one column i might add tho is for personal rating of the games, in 5 star form.

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
yes and no. the interface is borderline too cluttered for my taste so i won't be adding more columns. however, there will be more details visible in the game details popoup (click on game name) like developer, tags, engine and more. one column i might add tho is for personal rating of the games, in 5 star form.
No probs, might try my luck adding this myself then seeing you've got it github'd...

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
No probs, might try my luck adding this myself then seeing you've got it github'd...
actually on second thought... i think ill add many more columns, but have the disabled by default, then add a settings section for which columns to show

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
actually on second thought... i think ill add many more columns, but have the disabled by default, then add a settings section for which columns to show
That would be so cool (y)

Was already trying to prepare running the script version but when trying to run "pip install --upgrade -r requirements.txt" this failed miserably on Python 3.10 (x64) with a crap load of messages about among others not being able to find PyQt5 dependency 5.15.2 (even though it was listed in the parentisized list of available versions... :unsure: )
Being a python amateur I have no hope solving these issues

Reactions: WillyJL

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Was already trying to prepare running the script version but when trying to run "pip install --upgrade -r requirements.txt" this failed miserably on Python 3.10 (x64) with a crap load of messages about among others not being able to find PyQt5 dependency 5.15.2 (even though it was listed in the parentisized list of available versions... :unsure: )
Being a python amateur I have no hope solving these issues
try to send over the install log (copy paste from terminal)
also some info on OS, cpu and other basic system info

also i saw the review, many thanks for the kind words <3
i do have some support links, but not directly linked here. on my github profile i have a linktr.ee page, with connections to my other socials and also some support links (tho paypal.me is currently down)

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
try to send over the install log (copy paste from terminal)
also some info on OS, cpu and other basic system info
Appreciate the gesture, but already de-installed Python (like I said, am a real amateur) and in light of your willingness to consider adding a few more columns I think I rather wait for that instead.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Appreciate the gesture, but already de-installed Python (like I said, am a real amateur) and in light of your willingness to consider adding a few more columns I think I rather wait for that instead.
understandable. also thank you so much for the donation, really means a lot ❤

Heroes Killer

Sep 23, 2019
Hello, the tool said it had a corrupted config and generated a new one.
Is there some way to restore the old one? Some backup? I wouldn't like to lose all the games. :eyes:

• Sad

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Hello, the tool said it had a corrupted config and generated a new one.
Is there some way to restore the old one? Some backup? I wouldn't like to lose all the games. :eyes:
unfortunately no, not yet... ironically I was working on it right now, to make it so that if it finds a corrupted config it creates a copy of the file before resetting it, but it's not public yet so your config is likely gone sadly... try to have a look in the config folder (%appdata%/f95checker) though, there might be a config from an older tool version named "pre8.0.json" or whatever, and if thats the case copy that and rename the copy to "f95checker.json"

• Sad
Reactions: Heroes Killer

SoulRipper1990

Dec 22, 2017
At first: Found this on a Signature .
Second : If it do what it promise then its really great . Dont need to set F95 on Autorefresh ;D
Third: Cant extract the 8.5 on Windows. Tryd Speed Commander and Winrar. 8.4 works. Had to update it trough the Programm
Fourth: Where is the Vivaldi Browser :p
Fifth: Good work with that programm :D

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Third: Cant extract the 8.5 on Windows. Tryd Speed Commander and Winrar. 8.4 works.
my best guess is that the download does not complete so the file is corrupted, github download does that sometimes... check that the .zip file size is around 112mb or 117mb, if its less than that then the download messed up, youll need to download again. this often happens with slower internet.
Fourth: Where is the Vivaldi Browser
i wont add vivaldi itself, but in the future i have planned a custom browser option where you select what browser to use. will come soon-ish

SoulRipper1990

Dec 22, 2017
my best guess is that the download does not complete so the file is corrupted, github download does that sometimes... check that the .zip file size is around 112mb or 117mb, if its less than that then the download messed up, youll need to download again. this often happens with slower internet.
How i sayed. I updated it trough the Programm. It worked so its fine ^^
i wont add vivaldi itself, but in the future i have planned a custom browser option where you select what browser to use. will come soon-ish
That was just a joke . I thought my :p show that as a joke ^^

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
But a little Idea for a Feature. When "importing" a game the Programm could ask for the path where the Game is.
hm, interesting concept... yea ill add it to plans for some next update. it will be disabled by default but there will be the toggle for it in the settings section

Reactions: SoulRipper1990

purvysage

Nov 10, 2019
Just finished populating the tool. The tool looks awesome. Look forward to the convenience of using it. If I may suggest, how about a thread count? How does one know how to properly set their 'Max Threads for Refresh'? I'm pretty close to the 100 mark. It took me a while to populate. For the 'Auto Sort: Last Updated', how about adding in a column in the game list showing the date of the game's last update? Looking forward to the other updates you have planned for the tool. Thank you WillyJL, you the man!

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Just finished populating the tool. The tool looks awesome. Look forward to the convenience of using it. If I may suggest, how about a thread count? How does one know how to properly set their 'Max Threads for Refresh'? I'm pretty close to the 100 mark. It took me a while to populate. For the 'Auto Sort: Last Updated', how about adding in a column in the game list showing the date of the game's last update? Looking forward to the other updates you have planned for the tool. Thank you WillyJL, you the man!
im glad youre finding it useful!

so each thread gets assigned a list of games to check, and they all start together. that means that if you choose the same number (or higher) for the threads as the games you have then each thread will either have only one task or no tasks at all. since they start together they will all take about the same time to complete. if you have less threads than tasks, each thread will have more one or more tasks. so then they all start together for the first task and then the one that have more tasks will start with the second after the first is complete. this means that it will take longer to run the refresh. however, having too many threads can cause issues sometimes, since the cpu has to do all those tasks at the same time it can occasionally struggle and the tasks can sometimes fail with a timeout error. the rule of thumb is try to always have atleast one thread per game, if you notice issues then lower it. (also the tool checks for alerts / inbox, and that counts as a task too)

unfortunately there isnt a reliable way to check for the update time, since sometimes the thread gets updated after the game or whatever. so right now what the last update uses is the timestamp for when your tool found the update. for this reason showing the uppdate time in a new column would only be confusing and misleading.

PS: almost forgot a detail about the threads. since its generally better to have same threads as game amount, it will automatically adjust the number to an appropriate one if the one you have set is atleast 100. clarification:
you have 50 games, threads are set 100. tool uses 100 threads (49 will be idle) (-1 for alerts and inbox)
you have 150 games, threads are set to 100. tool changes threads to 151 (+1 for alerts and inbox)
you have 150 games, threads are set to 99. tool uses 99 threads.

Last edited:
Reactions: purvysage

estrada777

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020
Hey WillyJL, any chance that you would add an ability to export the list as a CSV? I'd like to track the games that I port to Android and maybe take the export and post it into my discord.

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
question: I decided to give installing python a go again, and I noticed something that I thought might explain why I got all those errors when trying to install the requirements, sadly not.. You're OP shows a commandline using pip3 and requirements_linux.txt...

Since I'm on Win10 I used requirements.txt the first time... also used PIP instead of PIP3... (not that this made a difference when I tried it with PIP3)
I didn't take a look inside before but I did this time.
What I notice right of the bat is that the requirements.txt file has a pywin32 entry, but I installed Pyton 3.10 x64...
OTOH, the requirements_linux.txt version has that line commented out...

But even with the line commented out, I'm still getting a shitload of errors trying to install the requirements...

I've attached the output... maybe you know what I'm doing wrong?

EDIT: Also tried this using the Python 32bit version using plain requirements.txt ... which even produced a shitload more errors... because apparently I then also need to have the "Microsoft C++ Build Tools" installed because " Microsoft Visual C++ 14.0 or greater" couldn't be found ... if that's the cause then I'm fucked.

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 21 Votes