Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

unroot

Aug 14, 2019
  • Ability to play/delete the game directly from the application
Playing works here with linux (the play-button is located left of the game title, first time it sets the executable file, after that it starts that executable).

Delete... would prefer to let it open the containing folder, more secure and you have the choice to only send it to trash bin instead of nuking it directly.

Had once a script accidental run rm -rf * on my home-dir, learned from that mistake.

oO(I wonder if the path to the executable supports RegEx or wildcards to take care changing version numbers and such)

qazpllp

May 31, 2017
Awesome stuff. Was looking for something just like this!

Where is the best place to ask troubleshooting questions, here or github? The refresh process takes ~20 min to complete. Its a fresh install and I added ~10 games to try it out. Is there a verbose log to check what is causing this?

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Game information overview
currently theres name, version, development state (abandoned, on hold, completed, neutral), changelog and header image.
description, developer, game engine, tags, and maybe a few things i may be forgetting, are planned and will come soon
Ability to play/delete the game directly from the application
It is possible to save/export game saves
you can click the play button to play the game, but the first time you will need to select the executable file.
i will not, ever, make this tool interact with game folders and files on its own, as that is one of the reasons i was pushed to makee my own: GameList basically needs to handle folders and game installations for you, and since many games dont simply have a .exe right there or maybe they are packaged weirdly, a lot of options and complex algorithms are needed to find the right executable and manage the game. in the end the user gets overwhelmed with hundreds of obscure settings and toggles and they dont use the software (or atleast thats how it went for me, i am sure that gamelist would be a very good piece of software if i spent the time elarning how to use it).
the purpose of this tool was originally, and largely still is, to simply check when a new version of a game is available. weve gotten far with other handy features but im not gonna makee my tool manage your folders, sorry.
Support for the following languages:
i do admit that language support for my tool is lacking, but i had never quite seen it as an issue as this community as a whole is mostly english based and no one ever complained my tool didnt support their native language.
mass importing of games
what you quoted there will not happen, as i dont mess with folders and game installations. also, since folder management is not a thing there is no need for a directory selection screen. however i do feel you with the pain of adding all the links. mass import is planned, and this is how it will work:
right now when you use the "add game bar" in this tool you have two options, either paste a thread link and that will get added no matter what, even if it is not a game. otherwise simply type a game name and press enter, that will use the website's quicksearch and ask if the first result is what you wanted and add that game if you say it is. the bulk / mass import games that i have planned will work like that: it will open a big textbox where you can put one entry per line, and that could either be a simple game name or a thread link.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Awesome stuff. Was looking for something just like this!

Where is the best place to ask troubleshooting questions, here or github? The refresh process takes ~20 min to complete. Its a fresh install and I added ~10 games to try it out. Is there a verbose log to check what is causing this?
id prefer github, it keeps stuff more tidy and also contributes to my stats xD
there should be either a F95Checker.log or a log.txt in the tool folder

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Playing works here with linux (the play-button is located left of the game title, first time it sets the executable file, after that it starts that executable).

Delete... would prefer to let it open the containing folder, more secure and you have the choice to only send it to trash bin instead of nuking it directly.

Had once a script accidental run rm -rf * on my home-dir, learned from that mistake.

oO(I wonder if the path to the executable supports RegEx or wildcards to take care changing version numbers and such)
btw good news for linux. since i switched myself im slowly starting to improve things for the FOSS enjoyers.
the play button used to be atrocious, at least in my experience, since it would not use the correct working directory so renpy often messed stuff up. now executing uses the correct directory, tries to chmod +x if the file is not executable and also right clicking now open the folder with your default file manager just like on windows.

delete will not happen, i stand by the choices i made for this tool.

paths do not support regex, but what is already implemented on main branch is a toggle to keep the previous install path upon update. now just toggle that on and keep your game folders the same without version numbers in the folder name and you will only have to set the executable once!

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
currently theres name, version, development state (abandoned, on hold, completed, neutral), changelog and header image.
description, developer, game engine, tags, and maybe a few things i may be forgetting, are planned and will come soon

you can click the play button to play the game, but the first time you will need to select the executable file.
i will not, ever, make this tool interact with game folders and files on its own, as that is one of the reasons i was pushed to makee my own: GameList basically needs to handle folders and game installations for you, and since many games dont simply have a .exe right there or maybe they are packaged weirdly, a lot of options and complex algorithms are needed to find the right executable and manage the game. in the end the user gets overwhelmed with hundreds of obscure settings and toggles and they dont use the software (or atleast thats how it went for me, i am sure that gamelist would be a very good piece of software if i spent the time elarning how to use it).
the purpose of this tool was originally, and largely still is, to simply check when a new version of a game is available. weve gotten far with other handy features but im not gonna makee my tool manage your folders, sorry.

i do admit that language support for my tool is lacking, but i had never quite seen it as an issue as this community as a whole is mostly english based and no one ever complained my tool didnt support their native language.

what you quoted there will not happen, as i dont mess with folders and game installations. also, since folder management is not a thing there is no need for a directory selection screen. however i do feel you with the pain of adding all the links. mass import is planned, and this is how it will work:
right now when you use the "add game bar" in this tool you have two options, either paste a thread link and that will get added no matter what, even if it is not a game. otherwise simply type a game name and press enter, that will use the website's quicksearch and ask if the first result is what you wanted and add that game if you say it is. the bulk / mass import games that i have planned will work like that: it will open a big textbox where you can put one entry per line, and that could either be a simple game name or a thread link.
I understand your reasoning with some of the functions, albeit a bit "down" with the massive refusals but nothing to worry

mass import is planned, and this is how it will work:
I've mentionned some ideas in dm to atotehZ like having a separator (space or , ) between link would help speed up things a lot. What you planned is just an alternative but still goes at similar speed.

What's really a deal-breaker is how I've visited this website for years and I have a long list of games, comics, mods, etc that I've bookmarked on forum, bookmarked on browser, marked watched or any other saving features and it's only possible to enter one entry per line.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
What's really a deal-breaker is how I've visited this website for years and I have a long list of games, comics, mods, etc that I've bookmarked on forum, bookmarked on browser, marked watched or any other saving features and it's only possible to enter one entry per line.
right, i forgot to mention that ill look into a way to add all the bookmarked / watched threads!

side note, there is a little section in the OP called "Planned Features Tracker", you should give that a look every now and then ;)

Reactions: AtotehZ

AtotehZ

Aug 24, 2018
right, i forgot to mention that ill look into a way to add all the bookmarked / watched threads!
That sounds great. So like an import function.
I must admit I never used the site's bookmarking system as I found it insufficient, but for getting a lot of games imported at once this would be great. Especially for new users.

Will it just skip entries already present in the list then?

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
since it's a planned feature, is it like most games and it needs a new download once it's implemented, gives a warning screen or does it auto-update (ex. on launch)

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
since it's a planned feature, is it like most games and it needs a new download once it's implemented, gives a warning screen or does it auto-update (ex. on launch)
*btw there's also a features section xD* after the first refresh of every session (from when you open to when you close the tool) it checks for updates to the tool and asks if you want to update, showing a changelog in the process, and if you agree it does everything by itself (if all goes smoothly)
Will it just skip entries already present in the list then?
indeed, ill also probably add a result messagebox at the end saying how many were added, how many skipped and how many failed

Reactions: GAB

unroot

Aug 14, 2019
... now executing uses the correct directory, tries to chmod +x if the file is not executable...
goobdoob's permission fixer runs also a chmod -R +x on the folders lib/linux-i686 and lib/linux-i686_64 to ensure everything necessary can be executed. (not sure if that is necessary, but i think it's worth to suggest it)

paths do not support regex, ...
... keep your game folders the same without version numbers ...
seems this feature isn't for me then as i prefer to keep the numbers cause sometimes there are remakes with only a newer number or i keep an older version (mostly with MODs that are abadoned)

(i had assumed i would have to edit the config manually)

(might look into that in a few days to see if i find something there to make it work for me)

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
goobdoob's permission fixer runs also a chmod -R +x on the folders lib/linux-i686 and lib/linux-i686_64 to ensure everything necessary can be executed.
will do, thanks
seems this feature isn't for me then as i prefer to keep the numbers cause sometimes there are remakes with only a newer number or i keep an older version (mostly with MODs that are abadoned)

(i had assumed i would have to edit the config manually)

(might look into that in a few days to see if i find something there to make it work for me)
i know what you mean, and i personally resorted to having the game name in the folder name, and inside have an empty file/folder with the version number. not really a solution but it helps be remember which is which.
i might add regex support but not "officially", as in the toggle for the feature will only be available in the config and you will have to set the regex paths yourself.

Reactions: unroot

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
*btw there's also a features section xD* after the first refresh of every session (from when you open to when you close the tool) it checks for updates to the tool and asks if you want to update, showing a changelog in the process, and if you agree it does everything by itself (if all goes smoothly)

indeed, ill also probably add a result messagebox at the end saying how many were added, how many skipped and how many failed
oh nice so i understand it checks between opening/closing of the tool. I take it it's a warning screen and it asks wether to update or not, do I get that right?

Anywho, thanks for the update and i'm looking forward to the updates to mass transfer threads to the tool instead of doing it 1 by 1 manually. Right now I just check the #releases channel on the discord server but when I become really desperate i'll write a powershell script (no judging) to copy paste each of them :)

Reactions: WillyJL

nakaz0ra

Dec 3, 2018
Hi, is there no support for HTML games? It doesn't seem to be possible to point the game path to an .html file.

AtotehZ

Aug 24, 2018
I see that there's a lot of new features incoming. Will the aim still be for the tool to be compact and free from too much bloat?
I mean when you click a single entry you can go nuts with info like a description under that, but the overall appearance is pretty great as it is.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I see that there's a lot of new features incoming. Will the aim still be for the tool to be compact and free from too much bloat?
I mean when you click a single entry you can go nuts with info like a description under that, but the overall appearance is pretty great as it is.
If anything the look will become less cluttered! I am thinking of splitting the options sidebar in multiple drop downs, so on the sidebar you will only have like 5-6 buttons, that when clicked they drop down with all the original options. This will allow me to add more options without wasting space I think. Also the additional information like description, tags, personal rating and so on will most likely be shown in the game popout (where now you have changelog)

Reactions: AtotehZ

batblue

Sep 6, 2021
Hey, just wanted to say thanks for this tool. It's exactly what I was looking for. Lightweight, but does exactly what I need.

I've been working on getting the code working on MacOS. I have a build now that's working well on my Intel Mac with Big Sur. If it's stable over the next few days, I'll open a pull request to the main repository.

I'm too much of a newbie to post links yet, but if anyone who's Github-savvy wants to check it out in the meantime, my Github username is batblue and my code is on a branch called "mac-support" in my fork.

• Red Heart

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Hey, just wanted to say thanks for this tool. It's exactly what I was looking for. Lightweight, but does exactly what I need.

I've been working on getting the code working on MacOS. I have a build now that's working well on my Intel Mac with Big Sur. If it's stable over the next few days, I'll open a pull request to the main repository.

I'm too much of a newbie to post links yet, but if anyone who's Github-savvy wants to check it out in the meantime, my Github username is batblue and my code is on a branch called "mac-support" in my fork.
looks great, thanks for this! ill setup a mac vm and test for myself how it goes.

Reactions: batblue
5.00 star(s) 21 Votes