Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

HarryHill99

Dec 29, 2019
Yes, that's a unix (predates linux by decades) mindset. but that was not really for applications but for tools. So it's more of a view as to what F95checker really is. to me it appears to be an application (i.e. does the function of a lot of tools) such as curl (checking a url); database (Berkeley db/sqllite); inventory; application launcher; future downloader & perhaps revision control system (keeping new/old versions of downloads). So basically looking like a light version of gog galaxy or steam or similar front-end apps.

Reactions: WillyJL

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Hey WillyJL, any luck finding a solution regarding the connection errors?
WillyJL what's the status with the planned features? any release date or features you know will be present in the next version?
I haven't really be working on this the last few months, school is keeping me rather busy, but i will get to those features eventually. As for the connection errors either its a timeout problem because too many games are being checked or i don't know. Try lowering the refresh threads
So I have been having an issue trying to add the game Pine Falls to the checker, since the game has two separate parts that cannot be added into the checker.

I am not sure what the best course of action would be regarding this, but besides this small issue this checker was exactly what I was looking for!
well how i built this is based around threads, how it differenciates games is based on the thread id (look at the URL of this page, thread id here is 44173). if the two parts are in different threads then you should have no issues. if there is a single thread for multiple versions (like every single game i know that has multiple versions) then the tool will track the thread itself (it kinda looks for changes in the title to find updates). so im guessing that what you were having issues with is starting the game from f95checker. and yeah i dont think ill add a way to select multiple versions... also usually the new versions continue on from the previous so generally speaking first youll have part 1 on the play button and when youre done with that put the part 2 on the play button
Just discovered this and started playing with it. I really like the effort! One item I found so far however which would be really good to have is the ability to drag/drop windows internet shortcut (*.url) files to the add game box. In my manual method of tracking games I save off the direct game page link to a directory with the game so whenever I want to play it I have easy reference. It would be killer to be able to just drag those *.url files right over to f95checker to add/import games in batch.
that is a very good idea, having drag and drop. ill add it to planned features, along with drag and drop of browser tabs and links
adding a feature has to be decided by WillyJL , but asking for it never hurts (Maybe ask for it on Github too). My preference would be to keep the Checker itself as small and fast as possible and to use another subset of tools for such tasks (type of a linux mindset, i think;))

EDIT: I tend to sound like a Moderator sometimes... No worries, I'm just a regular user that likes this nice tool :giggle:
yup thats the GNU mindset alright :D "do one thing only, and do it well"
also feel free to consider yourself a moderator if you want to :D youve stuck with my project for quite a while and i really appreciate you responding to users and helping them when i cant / dont <3
Yes, that's a unix (predates linux by decades) mindset. but that was not really for applications but for tools. So it's more of a view as to what F95checker really is. to me it appears to be an application (i.e. does the function of a lot of tools) such as curl (checking a url); database (Berkeley db/sqllite); inventory; application launcher; future downloader & perhaps revision control system (keeping new/old versions of downloads). So basically looking like a light version of gog galaxy or steam or similar front-end apps.
you could also see f95checker as a tool that manages games for f95zone, so that single function it does includes many sub functions that are implied in it :D
all valid interpretations, and yeah i want to keep it simple but also be functional, kinda my call on what fits the tool or not but as always im open to suggestions and drag and drop is an awesome one at that!

finally i want to say that ive been kinda pushing back coming back to this also because the code base is kinda hard to work with... when i wrote this initially it was a console script, then i tried to adapt it to gui with tkinter when i didnt have a clue of how gui worked. then i rewrote it with qt but i was just learning how qt works. now i have a better grasp and i feel like i can refactor this decently. will take a bit but the end result will be much more maintainable i think. this also means many planned features will be integrated while starting from scratch btw.

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
As I understand it, an URL-file is a text-file with a URL or BASEURL line inside (and more that's unneeded here), so it should be possible to let a batch-script read those lines, feed them into a txt-file and make a small AutoIt-macro to copypaste the urls into the Checker (last step could be done by hand or with a macro-programmable keyboard too)

EDIT:
found something that could work for getting all urls into one file (can't test it right now, no windows here)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
everyone is allowed to make that batch-file better cause i couldn't understand most of the if/for params
Heya. I saw your post but I'm not sure i understood properly your instructions so I'll try to rephase and correct me where I'm wrong.

an alternative way to add games to the f95checker can be done via cmd-file
To do so, open Notepad, paste the link above and save as .cmd
1644222777085.png

The part I don't understand is what to do next.
Do I keep the cmd file and an url file in the same folder location then double click the .cmd to run the script?
1644223631546.png

If i run the cmd itself it's just a black windows and closes itself

if i open cmd itself, paste the link then press enter i'll have no response from the prompt and adding an url does nothing
1644223960808.png

Last edited:

unroot

Aug 14, 2019
Heya. I saw your post but I'm not sure i understood properly your instructions so I'll try to rephase and correct me where I'm wrong.

an alternative way to add games to the f95checker can be done via cmd-file
To do so, open Notepad, paste the link above and save as .cmd

The part I don't understand is what to do next.
Do I keep the cmd file and an url file in the same folder location then double click the .cmd to run the script?
View attachment 1639553

If i run the cmd itself it's just a black windows and closes itself

if i open cmd itself, paste the link then press enter i'll have no response from the prompt and adding an url does nothing
basically it create a file called URL_List.txt if you drag a URL-file onto the graburl.cmd-file (as if you want to drop the file into a directory).

as i have no windows, i can only assume that should work. it's a solution from stackexchange for ini-files (URL-files are build in the same manner) with fixed section and value for an URL-file and an added >> URL-List.txt that should drop the output into that file.
The syntax of that script sounds sane, even if my own rusty batch-knowledge (Win9x-times) never had such if and for-monsters.

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
basically it create a file called URL_List.txt if you drag a URL-file onto the graburl.cmd-file (as if you want to drop the file into a directory).

as i have no windows, i can only assume that should work. it's a solution from stackexchange for ini-files (URL-files are build in the same manner) with fixed section and value for an URL-file and an added >> URL-List.txt that should drop the output into that file.
The syntax of that script sounds sane, even if my own rusty batch-knowledge (Win9x-times) never had such if and for-monsters.
Ah i see, missing step was click and hold the .url to the .cmd
explorer_zUqUdjDyby.gif

yeah it's great for already existing files but i thought it would be a solution for adding 2 or more links. 1644226175982.png

Only 1 ways exists to add games on F95checkers and you are still limited to 1 game per link, am I right WillyJL ?
1644226206965.png

unroot

Aug 14, 2019
Ah i see, missing step was click and hold the .url to the .cmd
View attachment 1639580

yeah it's great for already existing files but i thought it would be a solution for adding 2 or more links. View attachment 1639581

Only 1 ways exists to add games on F95checkers and you are still limited to 1 game per link, am I right WillyJL ?
View attachment 1639582
well... you could try to manually add the entries to the config, but i assume the Checker is better and faster at filling in all necessary infos.

and for the cmd: i think something like for %f in *.url do graburl.cmd %f could work to make the list faster.
after that its only a copy/paste orgy (AutoIt does such things, programmable keyboards mostly too)
I would advise to make it so it does only one line per execute to avoid missing a response from F95Checker (like "not found" or "multiple entries found")

EDIT: good to know that cmd-file works like intended. another thing for my snippets-folder as template for the future.

Last edited:

Facha

Jun 22, 2017
I love this program, i cant live without it, but i had a big problem

i formated my pc and lost all the data i had on it, (i formated C, the program was always on D:)
so for next time i need to save some folder from windows ? plz help

• Sad

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
another feature to add, make the search bar bigger or have the cursor auto set on it (like it is on google)
or have the cursor on the search bar by pressing a button (like F6 on web browser where the url is auto selected) 1644653069736.png

n0-floW

Dec 3, 2017
Some feature that could be added later: companion extension for browsers thanks to which you could add game just by pressing one button inside F95 forum (maybe by some special links like Vortex from Nexus uses)

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I love this program, i cant live without it, but i had a big problem

i formated my pc and lost all the data i had on it, (i formated C, the program was always on D:)
so for next time i need to save some folder from windows ? plz help
the config is stored in your user folder, precisely in appdata. %appdata%\f95checker\f95checker.json

Reactions: Facha

enrique29

Jun 23, 2017
hi ....ich am excited about the software. what I would also find good would be such a scan function where you have your game folder and he scans the games through and creates a config file .ini with the necessary data in it, such as which version which id of the game has etc. and an assignment in the program would not be bad if you have updates that you for example source directory and a base directory where you click from the program the respective updates and he automatically moves it to the folder where it is. so the basic idea what I have

unroot

Aug 14, 2019
hi ....ich am excited about the software. what I would also find good would be such a scan function where you have your game folder and he scans the games through and creates a config file .ini with the necessary data in it, such as which version which id of the game has etc. and an assignment in the program would not be bad if you have updates that you for example source directory and a base directory where you click from the program the respective updates and he automatically moves it to the folder where it is. so the basic idea what I have
Scanning the folders wouldn't work as i met quite a number of games that doesn't have versioned folders (HTML games mostly) or even files that match the games name (a few RenPy games at least). F95Checker would need a huge DB to address all those (and some games even have specials in the same thread) and it has to be held up to date. (I'm patiently waiting if/when/how a way comes to use RegEx or wildcards in the path to the exe/sh files)
Updating... I believe that would be out of the scope of F95Checker. I use JD2 to download all things into my games folder and then sort them into my engine subfolders (i sort them only by engine by now). This software is just a Checker to see quickly if there are new versions of the games i like and to notify about new messages/alerts. I don't expect it to do everything possible.

Dukez

Dec 19, 2020
Scanning the folders wouldn't work as i met quite a number of games that doesn't have versioned folders (HTML games mostly) or even files that match the games name (a few RenPy games at least). F95Checker would need a huge DB to address all those (and some games even have specials in the same thread) and it has to be held up to date. (I'm patiently waiting if/when/how a way comes to use RegEx or wildcards in the path to the exe/sh files)
Updating... I believe that would be out of the scope of F95Checker. I use JD2 to download all things into my games folder and then sort them into my engine subfolders (i sort them only by engine by now). This software is just a Checker to see quickly if there are new versions of the games i like and to notify about new messages/alerts. I don't expect it to do everything possible.
You could maybe flag games that result in multiple entries and creates a pop up letting you select from what it's found to get the right one, but yeah it would be a lot of work and outside it's scope. I'd imagine if it was ever a thing it would be one of the last things added IMO.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
So next time i format the C: i should save that location and put back on new windows? will work like that?
yup
what unroot said, as i said many times i dont want this tool to interact with the filesystem automatically. updates and file management will not be a feature. as unroot said this is a checker, not a manager

PS: that came off a bit more aggressive than what i wanted, im not mad at anyone :D just the basic principle i had for this program, no automatic filesystem management.

Reactions: unroot

unroot

Aug 14, 2019
So next time i format the C: i should save that location and put back on new windows? will work like that?
It's always a good advice to have a backup of your user-folder or at least the appdata-folder as the last contains many settings (like browser profiles, renpy saves and such) and the former has lots of your files in addition to that.
Only caveat: windows likes to fill your appdata with stuff you normally don't want to backup like temporary files or thumbnails, so you have to learn where that crap is to minimize the size of your backup.

EDIT: Really folks, make backups. Even with an annually one your data loss will be smaller when bad things happen (A HDD or SSD doesn't work forever if in use. Data loss don't come from bad software only)

Last edited:
Reactions: Facha

embed

Donor
Nov 3, 2018
Hello thank you for the tool! A feature to add: categories/custom flags/tags/colors/rating. Looks too messy without it.

Nurikabe

Feb 10, 2021
Hello, where do we submit bugs or look for solutions?
I have been receiving a persistent error stating unable to connect to the internet.

unroot

Aug 14, 2019
Hello, where do we submit bugs or look for solutions?
I have been receiving a persistent error stating unable to connect to the internet.
Usually we write those things in this thread, but you could file a bug report on github (link can be found in the OP) too.

As for those connection errors... i have those too but it still works. When i have new alerts (like a reply here) it seems to switch from errors to alerts so i know the software works. I think it could a case where a lack of new things leads to misformed responses (i not really good with web things) somehow.

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes