Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

Aziien

2D is all I need!
Modder
Donor
Apr 9, 2017
Some kind of tile mode would be greatly appreciated or the thumbnails before the games name, so that i dont have to hover the game to see the thumbnail.

And maybe an option to select what archiving software you use (Winrar, 7z, etc) and let the program cmd extract the game for you

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I've had a hiatus from using F95Checker due to the fact that I've been hospitalized(epilepsy), been at my girlfriend's place and used mobile devices for the last few months. Therefore I haven't 'Refresh!'ed the list.
oh god thats terrible D: hope you're feeling better now :/

I usually sort by 'Last Updated', but doing so with months of game updates is a mess. Is there any possibility to sort by when the OP was edited? Or maybe even by when the game version last changed?
i know the current way of handling update timestamps is horrible. ill catch you up on what has been going on, so basically im rewriting f95checker from scratch and im doing it right. at the moment it is not usable yet because only the interface is done, most buttons dont work yet and it doesnt even connect to f95zone for now. but in this rewrite i plan to make everything how it should have been from the start and the correct update timestamps is one of those things. however im not gonna update the current 8.x version anymore, im only focusing on the 9.0 rewrite, so this might still take quite some time.
if youre interested you can see some previews here:
- https://f95zone.to/threads/f95checker-8-5-willyjl.44173/post-7993672
- https://f95zone.to/threads/f95checker-8-5-willyjl.44173/post-7968800

Another feature that would be nice is to color code the games. Some games I'm more eager for a continuation for than others.
White = completed and Primary GUI color = Default.. but if you could choose other colors for your favorites that would be cool.
9.0 will fix this (well actually its already implemented but as i said 9.0 is not fully usable yet) by adding personal ratings. you can give each game a 0-5 star rating which is local and personal only, nothing to do with f95zone's rating. also to go hand in hand with this i added a lot of filtering modes, so you can filter the list by what rating you gave the games!

Program says "There was an error connecting to F95Zone, please check your internet connection!". Because of country limitations i can only access f95 via vpn. I have mullvad vpn that runs from system services so it shouldnt have any issues, no?
yes it should. make sure you start the tool after you opened the vpn! if it still doesnt work then you can try lowering the refresh threads.

Some kind of tile mode would be greatly appreciated or the thumbnails before the games name, so that i dont have to hover the game to see the thumbnail.
already implemented in 9.0, though 9.0 is WIP and nowhere near ready for release. its implemented like a grid mode very similar to the latest updates page here on the forum. preview here https://f95zone.to/threads/f95checker-8-5-willyjl.44173/post-7993672

And maybe an option to select what archiving software you use (Winrar, 7z, etc) and let the program cmd extract the game for you
no. this is one of the main reasons i started f95checker. all other tools try to interact with the filesystem and manage your game files for you. i made f95checker to be simple and intuitive without a huge setup overhead. it will never integrate downloads, automatic game updates and folder management. this includes extracting or whatever

Reactions: AtotehZ

Fluffy Neko

Jan 27, 2022
You’ll have to edit the config by resetting the cookies. The config is at %appdata%\f95checker\f95checker.json on windows and ~/.f95checker/f95checker.json on linux. Simply open it with any text editor. Now find the advanced section and inside you will also see a cookies section. You need to remove everything inside the cookie section. Make sure you backup the file first tho!!! If you can’t figure it out send the file over in dm
I was successful using your instructions, thanks mate.

ps. great tool

Reactions: WillyJL

Cares_X

Feb 2, 2019
oh god thats terrible D: hope you're feeling better now :/

i know the current way of handling update timestamps is horrible. ill catch you up on what has been going on, so basically im rewriting f95checker from scratch and im doing it right. at the moment it is not usable yet because only the interface is done, most buttons dont work yet and it doesnt even connect to f95zone for now. but in this rewrite i plan to make everything how it should have been from the start and the correct update timestamps is one of those things. however im not gonna update the current 8.x version anymore, im only focusing on the 9.0 rewrite, so this might still take quite some time.
if youre interested you can see some previews here:
- https://f95zone.to/threads/f95checker-8-5-willyjl.44173/post-7993672
- https://f95zone.to/threads/f95checker-8-5-willyjl.44173/post-7968800

9.0 will fix this (well actually its already implemented but as i said 9.0 is not fully usable yet) by adding personal ratings. you can give each game a 0-5 star rating which is local and personal only, nothing to do with f95zone's rating. also to go hand in hand with this i added a lot of filtering modes, so you can filter the list by what rating you gave the games!

yes it should. make sure you start the tool after you opened the vpn! if it still doesnt work then you can try lowering the refresh threads.

already implemented in 9.0, though 9.0 is WIP and nowhere near ready for release. its implemented like a grid mode very similar to the latest updates page here on the forum. preview here https://f95zone.to/threads/f95checker-8-5-willyjl.44173/post-7993672

no. this is one of the main reasons i started f95checker. all other tools try to interact with the filesystem and manage your game files for you. i made f95checker to be simple and intuitive without a huge setup overhead. it will never integrate downloads, automatic game updates and folder management. this includes extracting or whatever
Still doesnt work :(

• Thinking Face

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I need an opinion:
i just implemented a simple way to remove games via the right click context menu:
1652987961942.png
and now im wondering if i should also add the functionality of the current v8.5 where you enable the edit mode in order to see the remove button in the list...
i feel like that system is a bit clunky and having it only in the right click menu prevents you from accidentally deleting games but it is still quite intuitive...

what do you guys think?

PS in the end i added the old way too and also the option to confirm when removing games

Last edited:
Reactions: xXxNeospiritxXx

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
ah, the infamous ssl certificate error... i thought microsoft had pushed an update fixing that issue long ago... either you havent updated in a LONG time or there is something else wrong... either way there is a fix in the installation section of the OP, try that

Last edited:

Danv

Aug 21, 2020
it works fine for me... try lowering the threads maybe
tried lowering threads progressively from 100 down to 1 - same thing
strange thing - it's really just this game, other games added after this one or instead of this one work fine, so it's not position or number of games and even with error i think everything else get updated normally, just this one seems can't download preview/title image and triggers this connection error, name and version show up fine

Danv

Aug 21, 2020
Danv do this pls
here you go, this appears immediately after adding the game (and getting connection error), also exact same error when trying to update with this game added

add: without this game log is clean, just startup message

Last edited:

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
here you go, this appears immediately after adding the game (and getting connection error), also exact same error when trying to update with this game added

add: without this game log is clean, just startup message
That looks like a very archaic and typical windows networking error that has been living deep in the system for years and Microsoft is not gonna do anything about it. That has nothing to do with my code sadly. All I can suggest is you try to disable antivirus, disable firewall, try on another Wi-Fi, change DNS server, flush dns cache, run a system repair with DISM and sfc. The usual basically...

If nothing of that works I’m afraid the only solutions are reinstalling windows or switching to Linux (which i know is a prettty extreme solution, but hey linux doesn’t have these bullshit errors ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
batblue I once again kindly request your assistance :D

I implemented the start with system setting, but I don't have a mac to test it on... i tested the plist file generation and that works fine, just need to know if it works in the wild. Should work for both source and compiled btw. Binaries here
Thanks in advance <3

Reactions: batblue

unroot

Aug 14, 2019
I finally came 'round to get a GitHub account (i think that one will be forgotten cause modern 'security' is annoying) and test the 9.0 from .

One message at first:
Another instance of F95Checker is already running!
(Yeah, forgot to close the 8.5 running in background due to that icon still stuck at a bulb)

Seems to run as it should with only a small shell message at first:
Code:
Unable to load numpy_formathandler accelerator from OpenGL_accelerate
after i pressed Refresh! it added this line every time:
Code:
aaa
(stopped pressing after a few times as that got boring :sneaky: )

Found all my games (Ren'Py) are marked with Other and the filter seems to confirm it. (most games for linux are Ren'Py so i seem to only have those for now)
Custom browser works fine with waterfox started from my home folder and the -new-window argument (no browser bashing, just a more unusual config that works)

Sending it to Background and calling it back resets the position to top-left even after positioning it multiple times to top-right

Things untested so far:
popups about messages and such (just hadn't any by now)
opening a game (underaged persons today here, so i won't do it now)
didn't touch the image or interface settings so far

Missing things:
I really miss the color changer (i'm just not a fan of blue interfaces)

• Red Heart

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Another instance of F95Checker is already running!
(Yeah, forgot to close the 8.5 running in background due to that icon still stuck at a bulb)
I kind of don’t like the current behavior where it just silently exits (the message shows only in terminal) but the only other option would be adding the tkinter dependency to show a standard message box and I don’t really like that option either... I’ll try to find a way to focus the existing window when you try to open a new one maybe

Unable to load numpy_formathandler accelerator from OpenGL_accelerate
Yea I’m aware of that, seems like OpenGL doesn’t like being bundled as a portable executable... I am yet to find a fix but it works fine otherwise

after i pressed Refresh! it added this line every time:
Yea refreshing is not yet implemented xD

Found all my games (Ren'Py) are marked with Other and the filter seems to confirm it. (most games for linux are Ren'Py so i seem to only have those for now)
Since it doesn’t connect to f95zone yet it has to use the data from the previous version and that didn’t have this information so it just defaults to other. When I’ll implement the refresh it will grab all the new data just fine

Custom browser works fine with waterfox started from my home folder and the -new-window argument (no browser bashing, just a more unusual config that works)
Btw for us linux folks you can just type a command as the executable, without selecting the absolute path for it (well this also work on other OSs but it’s much less common to have browser exes in PATH)

Sending it to Background and calling it back resets the position to top-left even after positioning it multiple times to top-right
That’s peculiar, I either didn’t have this issue or didn’t notice it... if I manage to replicate it, it should probably be an easy fix, just save geometry and restore after

popups about messages and such (just hadn't any by now)
opening a game (underaged persons today here, so i won't do it now)
You’re in luck about those, I implemented those very recently. By default imgui has a very inconvenient way of creating popups, so I had to work around its limitations and now it’s fully modular and should work as expected. One way you can trigger a popup is for example un selecting the browser and trying to open a webpage, or selecting the executable for a game then deleting /moving it on disk and trying to launch it. Also as a side note, the executables are now much smarter: it checks the executable file to see if it has a shebang at the top and if it has it chmod +x ‘s it for you, and for renpy games it also does so for the lib/linux-xyz/* since some renpy games come with those not set as executable. If instead there is no shebang it just opens with the default app.
I really miss the color changer (i'm just not a fan of blue interfaces)
it’s coming, don’t worry :D

Reactions: unroot

unroot

Aug 14, 2019
I kind of don’t like the current behavior where it just silently exits (the message shows only in terminal) but the only other option would be adding the tkinter dependency to show a standard message box and I don’t really like that option either... I’ll try to find a way to focus the existing window when you try to open a new one maybe
Of course i ran it through bash as i wanted to have the best report for you. I only included that to show it detects the release version.

Yea refreshing is not yet implemented xD

Since it doesn’t connect to f95zone yet it has to use the data from the previous version and that didn’t have this information so it just defaults to other. When I’ll implement the refresh it will grab all the new data just fine
I see that point. Well, the refresh-button works at least :giggle:

That’s peculiar, I either didn’t have this issue or didn’t notice it... if I manage to replicate it, it should probably be an easy fix, just save geometry and restore after
Worst case: it's again a quirk of my system. I just choosed a unusual distro, so i have to endure such things.
EDIT: Just Played again with the window: It remembers the size but it jumps always back to top-left, even from the second (right) display.

You’re in luck about those, I implemented those very recently. By default imgui has a very inconvenient way of creating popups, so I had to work around its limitations and now it’s fully modular and should work as expected. One way you can trigger a popup is for example un selecting the browser and trying to open a webpage, or selecting the executable for a game then deleting /moving it on disk and trying to launch it. Also as a side note, the executables are now much smarter: it checks the executable file to see if it has a shebang at the top and if it has it chmod +x ‘s it for you, and for renpy games it also does so for the lib/linux-xyz/* since some renpy games come with those not set as executable. If instead there is no shebang it just opens with the default app.
I tried it with Browser: None and have to say: works. I hope you find a way to get those things to system-messages (as in 8.5) cause there could be quite a number of popup windows during the nights

it’s coming, don’t worry :D
(y)

Last edited:

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I tried it with Browser: None and have to say: works. I hope you find a way to get those things to system-messages (as in 8.5) cause there could be quite a number of popup windows during the nights
well those popups are only for gui mode, so nothing happens without you present. in background mode it will only throw notification messages like it does now, and only show a single popup when restored to gui in case some games were updated while in background mode. while in standard use you will at most have a game details popup, a filepicker and maybe an error popup, no more than that

Reactions: unroot
5.00 star(s) 21 Votes