Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

BrockLanders

Aug 8, 2020
very different error to what you were replying to, completely unrelated in fact, but it is the same error that GAB also reported and that someone put on github. im looking into it but im not really sure... looks like a normal timeout error, but deeper down in windows hell... in fact im not having this issue on linux...
Well, whatever :D. It just started the last day or so (like the others are reporting), and the timeout occurs at the exact same refresh percentage as the wonderful Linux users are reporting. Just thought it wasn't coincidence.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
and the timeout occurs at the exact same refresh percentage as the wonderful Linux users are reporting. Just thought it wasn't coincidence.
i have seen no reports of this semaphore timeout error on linux. as i said, it is a windows error. you can see for yourself in the traceback, it is in the windows branch of aiohttp events. the error message itself states "WinError 121". simply searching "semaphore timeout error" on google shows only windows error reports, from multiple programs completely unrelated from this one, but still all from windows.

doesnt matter anyway, the only reason i brought up linux and windows is because when you originally reported having this issue yourself, you did so by replying to unroot's message, who is a linux user and his error has nothing to do with connection, semaphores or timeouts, his f95checker doesnt even open and his error i have been aware of for a long while. the only other comment i made about linux vs windows was about this new error probably coming from some obscure windows bullshit, and that is completely relevant since from my own experience with this program, most if not all of the networking issues have been caused by windows bitching about ssl and windows updates breaking encryption certificates.

anyway the point is that there is no need to be passive aggressive, i was only noting that you had probably replied to the wrong person since it was GAB that posted about semaphore timeouts, not unroot, who you replied to originally. either way as i said i am now aware of this issue and will look into it. cheers :D

BrockLanders

Aug 8, 2020
Thank you for working on this wonderful tool for us.

anyway the point is that there is no need to be passive aggressive, i was only noting that you had probably replied to the wrong person since it was GAB that posted about semaphore timeouts, not unroot, who you replied to originally. either way as i said i am now aware of this issue and will look into it. cheers :D
I was in no way being passively aggressive. I wasn't being aggressive in any way. I simply quoted your observation and hoped to add relevant info in case there was a trend you saw since the behavior seemed very similar in how the website reacted to your software. Unless there is some research I haven't done, I was quoting the developer's comments and not the user GAB, I was hoping to attract your attention without explicitly "at'ing" you. I just noticed that everyone on disparate OSs are having similar issues in appearance and thought that more info would be helpful. I wouldn't be surprised if the problem doesn't lie in your software and it's F95 defending against all the workers from multiple logins. I'm sure you'll find out what's really happening. A whooooole bunch of good VNs updated recently and there's a ton of concurrent users. I'm just thankful for the service you're providing us. Please don't misunderstand my comments. Thank you.

Reactions: WillyJL

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Thank you for working on this wonderful tool for us.

I was in no way being passively aggressive. I wasn't being aggressive in any way. I simply quoted your observation and hoped to add relevant info in case there was a trend you saw since the behavior seemed very similar in how the website reacted to your software. Unless there is some research I haven't done, I was quoting the developer's comments and not the user GAB, I was hoping to attract your attention without explicitly "at'ing" you. I just noticed that everyone on disparate OSs are having similar issues in appearance and thought that more info would be helpful. I wouldn't be surprised if the problem doesn't lie in your software and it's F95 defending against all the workers from multiple logins. I'm sure you'll find out what's really happening. A whooooole bunch of good VNs updated recently and there's a ton of concurrent users. I'm just thankful for the service you're providing us. Please don't misunderstand my comments. Thank you.
my bad, interpreted your msgs wrong and got off on the wrong foot, sorry about that. no hard feelings and thanks for the kind words :D indeed it might be f95zone rate limiting, will dig deeper into it

Reactions: BrockLanders

WhiteSage

Jul 1, 2022
Ok... am I missing something. I feel like I must be. I get the program to run but it does not load any threads even after refresh. What else should I do.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Ok... am I missing something. I feel like I must be. I get the program to run but it does not load any threads even after refresh. What else should I do.
...you need to add games to it...

you can use the bottombar
1667520750233.png

or you can use the web extension
1667520853042.png

or you can use the settings > manage > import options
1667520823667.png

JustAnIllusion

Sep 26, 2019
Okay, so I spent some time messing with things in the app. I started from most recent, and was individually doing "Full Re-check"s. The first 15 or so went smoothly. Then, every one I tried after that threw the same error message.

I've notice in recent posts that others are having the same issue. I'll watch the thread, and see if a solution presents itself. I'll just rely on the "Latest Updates" thread in the meantime.

Thank you so much for your hard work, WillyJL, and keep the awesomeness coming.

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
tested build 632 (cause yknow how desperate we are to get a connection issue fix) and I like how you're still working on it and launching updates. Hasn't permanently fixed it but you're trying.

After 3 attempts I managed to get a 100% refresh

Reactions: BrockLanders

BrockLanders

Aug 8, 2020
JustAnIllusion GAB BrockLanders
I couldn't manage to reproduce the issue at all, but found some stuff online saying to just suppress the error so i did that and made it retry if it finds a WinError 121, try out and let me know
I've tried twice so far and it completes perfectly. I imagine the process taking slightly longer to complete is the errors from the website still happening, but I'm pleased as punch. If it acts up again, I'll still be happy because I'll get to help out reporting behavior to you. Thank you.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
JustAnIllusion
I've tried twice so far and it completes perfectly. I imagine the process taking slightly longer to complete is the errors from the website still happening, but I'm pleased as punch. If it acts up again, I'll still be happy because I'll get to help out reporting behavior to you. Thank you.
A blessing from the lord!
ok so sure this half assed solution kinda works, but its not ideal... i just realized that this way if it keeps getting sempahore timeouts it will keep retrying forever, so no thankyou. as i said i havent been able to reproduce the issue myself, so im asking your help with some testing. i made a build with a setting for max retries (up until now it was fixed at 3 max retries, now i made it a user setting just like workers and timeout). my hope is that the semaphore timeouts are caused by another previous network error, and while retrying it then gets a semaphore timeout. so id like you guys to try , set retries to 0 in settings > refresh and try to collect a few different error messages you get while refreshing, also try playing around with workers and timeout values a bit. and thank you.

BrockLanders

Aug 8, 2020
Refresh at startup completed, but when set to zero, the refresh instantly failed on first test...
Test 1 - FAIL
Code:
Retries: 0

Workers: 20

Timeout: 30 sec

OSError: [WinError 121] The semaphore timeout period has expired
Test 2 - FAIL
Code:

Workers: 30

Timeout: 45 sec

Test 3 - FAIL
Code:

Workers: 40

Timeout: 60 sec

I set back to defaults, it failed and gave no error, just 'timeout' under more information tab in the error popup. I waited a minute and tried again, it was completed. I swear this feels like the DDoS server protecting against a perceived attack lol

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Refresh at startup completed, but when set to zero, the refresh instantly failed on first test...
Test 1 - FAIL
Code:

Workers: 20

Timeout: 30 sec

Test 2 - FAIL
Code:

Workers: 30

Timeout: 45 sec

Test 3 - FAIL
Code:

Workers: 40

Timeout: 60 sec

I set back to defaults, it failed and gave no error, just 'timeout' under more information tab in the error popup. I waited a minute and tried again, it was completed. I swear this feels like the DDoS server protecting against a perceived attack lol
can you try with 0 retries, 1 worker and max timeout?

Oct 13, 2020
This tool is fast, convenient, and visually appealing. Great work and many thanks Willy. I have a problem though. Probably falls under 'Feature Request'.

Problem:
Some game threads in the forum have the content all hosted in the same thread, but split in multiple .exes. It's usually big games that are split into Seasons or Chapters or what have you, or in other cases the dev just decided to make some smaller side game related to the main game.

Request:
If I'm not overlooking anything, F95Checker only allows one .exe to be associated to each game entry. Any way to include these in the launcher somehow? Perhaps allow multiple .exes per game and right-click to choose which one? Or some way for the user to add local, custom entries for the missing .exes?

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
This tool is fast, convenient, and visually appealing. Great work and many thanks Willy. I have a problem though. Probably falls under 'Feature Request'.

Problem:
Some game threads in the forum have the content all hosted in the same thread, but split in multiple .exes. It's usually big games that are split into Seasons or Chapters or what have you, or in other cases the dev just decided to make some smaller side game related to the main game.

Request:
If I'm not overlooking anything, F95Checker only allows one .exe to be associated to each game entry. Any way to include these in the launcher somehow? Perhaps allow multiple .exes per game and right-click to choose which one? Or some way for the user to add local, custom entries for the missing .exes?
ive had this request i nthe past, but had more important stuff so i brushed it over. i still have other stuff, but i might eventually consider this. i personally handle this with my own little script that pops up a small window to choose which version to open, but its a very quick and dirty solution, and also work only on linux. if i implement this properly it will take some rework tho, so might not be so soon

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
JustAnIllusion BrockLanders GAB ill paste what i posted on github:
As I said I can't manage to reproduce this issue. From what I can read online though it is a very obscure Windows error than often originates deeper in Windows hell, from either hardware or driver layers. Since to my knowledge only a limited amount of people are experiencing this issue (4 that I know of) I opted for a compromise. Default behavior is the same, but I added a toggle in refresh settings to ignore semaphore timeouts and WinError 121's. The note for that setting also mentions that it should be used as a last resort, and the preferred fix would be repairing the system with sfc, DISM and driver updates. contains this "fix", and it will be released in the next update unless a proper fix is found.

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes