Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Ah, I thought that was the played indicator. The custom tags system sounds great, I look forward to it.
well yeah, i use the terms finished and playing interchangably in this context because i mean finished playing, as in you have consumed all the content that this specific version has to offer. hence why a version number change will deselect the played / finished checkbox, because it should mean that more content is now available. if by finished you meant completed, as in the game will not receive further updates, well then that is handled by the status icons, abandoned - on hold - completed - normal, and it doesnt really make much sense to leave the user change this since its not really down to the user whether the game will receive updates... but in the end yes the custom labels / tags feature i plan to add will allow you to manage your games however you prefer

Reactions: DarkMask

AmBush-UK

Aug 1, 2018
update: i am now confident both issues are properly fixed.
macos now should be able to find qtwebengineprocess, since now i forcefully point it to the correct file
and the console window i fixed in a better way: there are now 2 executables bundled with the application. the normal F95Checker.exe will redirect most of the output to the log.txt file, and will never create a console window. however some errors dont get logged properly, so i added a F95Checker-Debug.exe that will enable more logging and will not use log.txt, instead it will leave a console window open so that you can see the errors and report them if needed.

try out
DamienSilvert Lalmo_Robs tonyalfonso7 AmBush-UK FaceCrap
Will let you know how it goes, when I get an opportunity. Thanks as always for putting in the time.

Reactions: WillyJL

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
the command prompt i hope i fixed by changing how the program is bootstrapped, but im not sure if my new method for log.txt works. please confirm that it is created properly (doesnt need to contain anything, just check if it gets created)
It did indeed get created. But now I understand why the error I mentioned on github got shown in a popup dialogue.
The weird thing about that is that it ain't consistent...

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
bug on beta version. update screen doesn't show properly since buttons aren't aligned properly. Pressing Esc does a different effect where almost everything is clickable but there's no changes when clicked View attachment 1999833
build 514 btw
so uuh... i still have this in my bugtracker but this is the only report i ever saw about it... is it still an issue?

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
so uuh... i still have this in my bugtracker but this is the only report i ever saw about it... is it still an issue?
hard to say. it's a rare event and only happened twice in...how many updates checks I've done in total. That and I've only had latest f95checker version about a week so I can't firmly say no

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Hey, quick question is it possible to add multiple of the same game some creators have chapter based downloads rather then all in one?
This tool is fast, convenient, and visually appealing. Great work and many thanks Willy. I have a problem though. Probably falls under 'Feature Request'.

Problem:
Some game threads in the forum have the content all hosted in the same thread, but split in multiple .exes. It's usually big games that are split into Seasons or Chapters or what have you, or in other cases the dev just decided to make some smaller side game related to the main game.

Request:
If I'm not overlooking anything, F95Checker only allows one .exe to be associated to each game entry. Any way to include these in the launcher somehow? Perhaps allow multiple .exes per game and right-click to choose which one? Or some way for the user to add local, custom entries for the missing .exes?
it was not, and now its here! try adding multiple executables in , let me know how it goes, and ill release it shortly along with all the other new features waiting to be released

View attachment Record_F95Checker_20221116005126.mp4

Last edited:

DarkMask

Oct 16, 2017
well yeah, i use the terms finished and playing interchangably in this context because i mean finished playing, as in you have consumed all the content that this specific version has to offer. hence why a version number change will deselect the played / finished checkbox, because it should mean that more content is now available. if by finished you meant completed, as in the game will not receive further updates, well then that is handled by the status icons, abandoned - on hold - completed - normal, and it doesnt really make much sense to leave the user change this since its not really down to the user whether the game will receive updates... but in the end yes the custom labels / tags feature i plan to add will allow you to manage your games however you prefer
That makes sense and explained my deja-vu in regard to games I could have sworn I checked as played, lol.

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
M0Cs3oMTXS.png
first off, thanks again for the last refresh clock but this is partly what I asked (guessing it's a WIP so i'm not insulting you of anything)

Missing feature would be that when the last refresh is more than x min (x being BG interval) compared to current time, there'd be an automatic check starting

Last edited:

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Missing feature would be that when the last refresh is more than x min (x being BG interval) compared to current time, there'd be an automatic check starting
its not missing? thats the whole point of background mode??
and before you ask, it only does that because... well... it doesnt really make much sense to refresh out of the blue when the interface is visible, since chances are you are using it if the interface is visible... would be quite counter productive to have update popups and connection error messages while youre trying to find a game to play or whatever...

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
its not missing? thats the whole point of background mode??
and before you ask, it only does that because... well... it doesnt really make much sense to refresh out of the blue when the interface is visible, since chances are you are using it if the interface is visible... would be quite counter productive to have update popups and connection error messages while youre trying to find a game to play or whatever...
ah woops I forgot to add part 2

M0Cs3oMTXS.png
according to the pic it should update every 30mins. But if you look at the cyan square, last update was around noon but it's currently 8pm, which shows that there wasn't any refresh done during that time. I'm pretty confident I had checker in the background and not visible so that's why I'm considering this as either a bug or partial completion of my feature request when posting this.

You're probably right and it wasn't in the background but to that I request something else, is it possible to make it so pressing the red x doesn't kill the application and instead puts it in the background?
I personally thought being a background app was F95checker original purpose since there's potential to always be opened in the background and show activities in notification tab (just like discord and jdownloader) and only refresh when requested as per the bg interval timer. The last refresh timer can be a tool to see when the last (successful?) refresh was done and if there were any missed attempts

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
is it possible to make it so pressing the red x doesn't kill the application and instead puts it in the background?
already is! settings > interface > bg on close

and to clarify what i said before, by not visible i mean in background mode, as in the window doesnt exist, only the tray icon. to get into background mode you either click the "switch to bg: minimize" or (if you have the bg on close setting enabled) close the window

EDIT:
I personally thought being a background app was F95checker original purpose since there's potential to always be opened in the background and show activities in notification tab (just like discord and jdownloader) and only refresh when requested as per the bg interval timer.
what i do is:
- enable interface > bg on close
- enable startup > start minimized
- enable startup > start with system
and it becomes a fully background application. then if you use the tray icon, or try to open another f95checker, the window will show up!

• Love
Reactions: GAB

WakamoSato

Jan 9, 2021
I really appreciate all the work that you put into this great tool. I've been using it, since 7 point-something, and it's just getting better and better.

Currently, I got 817 :)oops:) games on the list, and it's just a lifesaver, when trying to keep up with updates and/or what games you've already played/completed. Also, the notes you can add, really helps with remembering what WT mods or IC patches you had installed, and in my case, also helps me remember, what computer I played on, since I play on a MacBookPro and a Win desktop.

Well, this got a bit longer than what I really wanted to do, witch was just saying thank you for doing this.

• Red Heart

ascsd

Jul 26, 2021
ive probably said this before already but this version of the tool is just perfect. does pretty much everything you'd expect out of the tool. can't praise your work enough!

in saying that, i want to pick your dev problem-solving brain to solve 2 things that are abit out of the scope of what you wanted to achieve with the tool that would make the tool a one-stop shop for me. incase you have a more efficient solution than what i have in mind

one small thing is related to the versions. i use the notes to write how many versions/updates to wait before there's enough content to dl & play. but for new games, i need to wait until a new update comes out to see the length. So I cannot use the 'downloaded' checkbox when i dl a new game as it will overwrite the "current version" and then i would have no way of knowing what the last version i played was.
Not the biggest deal but it means i can't tell whether ive dled a new update without checking my f95 folder. Any ideas?

The second thing is game folder+save+executable management. because of the constantly changing folder name every update, i have to specify the new exe path which i am way too lazy to do every time, so i never use it. Also when i finish a game, i delete the files except the save folder and move it to my save files folder. then when a I dl a new update i move the save folder into the new folder and the cycle continues.

I'm planning to create a batch file for each game that i point to as the runnable exe, which passes the game's folder or the game's title as a cli arg to a python script that runs a tkinter gui that asks if i want to run the game or delete & relocate the save files to my save files folder.
relocate save file would be straight forward. as for run, it will just launch the exe if the path exists, else it would assume its a new update and will use fuzzy search (maybe?) to find the new update's folder, show a popup to confirm its correct else i can select the folder if its wrong (i know its no different than the current way, but the possibility of it working automatically is worth it) then it will automatically fetch the respective save files and move it to the correct folder.

Seems abit overly complicated so if you have any ideas before i go down this rabbit hole id love to hear em

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
one small thing is related to the versions. i use the notes to write how many versions/updates to wait before there's enough content to dl & play. but for new games, i need to wait until a new update comes out to see the length. So I cannot use the 'downloaded' checkbox when i dl a new game as it will overwrite the "current version" and then i would have no way of knowing what the last version i played was.
Not the biggest deal but it means i can't tell whether ive dled a new update without checking my f95 folder. Any ideas?
Maybe I didn’t understand exactly what you mean, but if you found out about a game and add it to the checker, then you never had it installed, if you download it then you mark it as downloaded, so there is no “old” or “outdated” version to keep track of...

The second thing is game folder+save+executable management. because of the constantly changing folder name every update, i have to specify the new exe path which i am way too lazy to do every time, so i never use it. Also when i finish a game, i delete the files except the save folder and move it to my save files folder. then when a I dl a new update i move the save folder into the new folder and the cycle continues.

I'm planning to create a batch file for each game that i point to as the runnable exe, which passes the game's folder or the game's title as a cli arg to a python script that runs a tkinter gui that asks if i want to run the game or delete & relocate the save files to my save files folder.
relocate save file would be straight forward. as for run, it will just launch the exe if the path exists, else it would assume its a new update and will use fuzzy search (maybe?) to find the new update's folder, show a popup to confirm its correct else i can select the folder if its wrong (i know its no different than the current way, but the possibility of it working automatically is worth it) then it will automatically fetch the respective save files and move it to the correct folder.
That’s so cumbersome lol. Just... have your f95 folder. Inside it make a folder for each game, but just with the name, no version numbers. In the game folder keep the game files, when an update comes delete old files and move new files. Folder is still the same, executable is still the same. For the saves, man there’s no need for that! The saves are kept both in the game folder, and in your user folder. Delete game files, saves are still in user folder! It’s ~/.renpy for linux and %APPDATA%\RenPy on windows

Reactions: BrockLanders

ascsd

Jul 26, 2021
Maybe I didn’t understand exactly what you mean, but if you found out about a game and add it to the checker, then you never had it installed, if you download it then you mark it as downloaded, so there is no “old” or “outdated” version to keep track of...
ill rephrase, for games i dont have a note written for (ie new game). when i play a newer version, i want to know what the last version i played was so I can see how many updates i played through and how long the content was.
If i click "downloaded" as soon as i dl the new update, it changes the version in the tool, so when i finish playing, theres no way for me to know what the previous version i played was.

ill write out my steps incase what im saying is still abit confusing
1. dl new game
2. touch grass
3. new updates available
4. dl new update
5. do not click "downloaded" to keep last played version number and the "update available" version number (which is my currently downloaded one)
6. play new update
7. compare "current" version in tool to "update available" version and figure out how many versions i just played through
8. fill note with estimate for good number of updates to wait for a satisfactory playthrough
9. click "downloaded"

That’s so cumbersome lol. Just... have your f95 folder. Inside it make a folder for each game, but just with the name, no version numbers. In the game folder keep the game files, when an update comes delete old files and move new files. Folder is still the same, executable is still the same. For the saves, man there’s no need for that! The saves are kept both in the game folder, and in your user folder. Delete game files, saves are still in user folder! It’s ~/.renpy for linux and %APPDATA%\RenPy on windows
so you're telling me ive been moving save files from the game folder for every game all this time.. and its just chilling automatically in appdata this whole time...
why are there 2 copies????
fml

man am I glad I decided to ask before doing all this crap..
thanks? :FacePalm:

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
ill rephrase, for games i dont have a note written for (ie new game). when i play a newer version, i want to know what the last version i played was so I can see how many updates i played through and how long the content was.
If i click "downloaded" as soon as i dl the new update, it changes the version in the tool, so when i finish playing, theres no way for me to know what the previous version i played was.

ill write out my steps incase what im saying is still abit confusing
1. dl new game
2. touch grass
3. new updates available
4. dl new update
5. do not click "downloaded" to keep last played version number and the "update available" version number (which is my currently downloaded one)
6. play new update
7. compare "current" version in tool to "update available" version and figure out how many versions i just played through
8. fill note with estimate for good number of updates to wait for a satisfactory playthrough
9. click "downloaded"
ok if i understand correctly you mean youd like to have a way to track what the last version you played is, while currently it only tracks what the installed version is. the way i see it there are 2 solutions:
- i make the played checkbox behave more like the installed checkbox. thing is, the installed checkbox is already complicated enough to explain to new / out of the loop people, i dont need another mess like that. the played checkbox is meant to be a very simple "is there currently more content i have not seen yet, regardless of it being installed or not?" question. which brings me onto my suggested solution.
- download the updates when you intend to play them? say you have a game installed and you played all the content. an update comes. you have the old version, and there is new content available. this means that the played checkbox is disabled, and the installed checkbox is half selected. you think this update does not bring enough content to justify sitting down to play it? very well, leave it like that. a few updates go by, and now you feel like you want to play the new content. so NOW download the new version, once thats done click the installed checkbox, then (prefarably in a short time so no new update comes in between) play the new content, and turn on the played checkbox...

PS: i was just about to post this and i think i understand what you meant now. you mean that after playing the new content, you want a way to figure out how many versions worth of content you went through to then make an estimate on when to play again in the future. so yeah again my first proposal above would be the solution, but as i said im not willing to complicate the checkboxes further, sorry. either you keep using notes, or you do what i personally do which is when an update comes i quickly skim through the changelog to see how much content has actually been released between the version i installed/played and the new one, then decide if i want to download the update.

and its just chilling automatically in appdata this whole time...
why are there 2 copies????
probably exactly for the reason you just brought up, updates. and redundancy maybe? maybe also so that saves are synced between systems if you dual boot maybe? either way makes sense to me to have them in both places. what is kinda confusing / annoying is that they are put in both places only when you make the saves, meaning:
- you make "save 1", its in both places
- update comes, replace files
- make "save 2", now in user folder you have both saves, in game folder you only have save 2
also some stuff can go south if you play on multiple OS's because saves are not exactly 100% cross platform, for example just recently i had an issue with city of broken dreamers where the linux bundled runtime didnt like the nvidia driver so performance was horrible, then my system's renpy runtime worked with the nvidia driver but animations froze for 2 seconds on every loop, problem is i found out about that like 30 mins into the playthrough, so i switched to using the windows executable through wine, that ran perfectly but the save didnt want to load. then i accidentally opened the linux version again the next day, save loaded, but globals and persistents (think gallery images and save independent stuff) were reset, went back to the windows exe and they were still gone, while the save was fine.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
unroot yohudood there might be some light at the end of the glGetUniformLocation tunnel!

try , and also please send me the full output of the glinfo command. for reference, it should look something like this:
Code:
$ glinfo
GL_VERSION: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 520.56.06
GL_RENDERER: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060/PCIe/SSE2
GL_VENDOR: NVIDIA Corporation
GL_EXTENSIONS: ...
GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION = 4.60 NVIDIA
GLU_VERSION: 1.3
GLU_EXTENSIONS: ...
GLUT_API_VERSION: 4
GLUT_XLIB_IMPLEMENTATION: 13

ascsd

Jul 26, 2021
ok if i understand correctly you mean youd like to have a way to track what the last version you played is, while currently it only tracks what the installed version is. the way i see it there are 2 solutions:
- i make the played checkbox behave more like the installed checkbox. thing is, the installed checkbox is already complicated enough to explain to new / out of the loop people, i dont need another mess like that. the played checkbox is meant to be a very simple "is there currently more content i have not seen yet, regardless of it being installed or not?" question. which brings me onto my suggested solution.
- download the updates when you intend to play them? say you have a game installed and you played all the content. an update comes. you have the old version, and there is new content available. this means that the played checkbox is disabled, and the installed checkbox is half selected. you think this update does not bring enough content to justify sitting down to play it? very well, leave it like that. a few updates go by, and now you feel like you want to play the new content. so NOW download the new version, once thats done click the installed checkbox, then (prefarably in a short time so no new update comes in between) play the new content, and turn on the played checkbox...

PS: i was just about to post this and i think i understand what you meant now. you mean that after playing the new content, you want a way to figure out how many versions worth of content you went through to then make an estimate on when to play again in the future. so yeah again my first proposal above would be the solution, but as i said im not willing to complicate the checkboxes further, sorry. either you keep using notes, or you do what i personally do which is when an update comes i quickly skim through the changelog to see how much content has actually been released between the version i installed/played and the new one, then decide if i want to download the update.
Yea, like you said, the played/installed/dled already has too many states that it can be confusing so wasnt expecting any changes/additions to them, was just curious if you knew of some combination of all the states that would allow for what i was doing.
As for dling only when i plan to play, its usually what I do, but sometimes a new update comes through before i get around to it
And finally, not all games have changelogs so not always possible.
Anyways, its not a big deal as i only have to go through this process with new games

Actually one thing that might? help is a "last run version" similar to last played date which i assume is set when you click the run button. again no big deal for me so ill leave it up to you if you think its worth the hassle.

probably exactly for the reason you just brought up, updates. and redundancy maybe? maybe also so that saves are synced between systems if you dual boot maybe? either way makes sense to me to have them in both places. what is kinda confusing / annoying is that they are put in both places only when you make the saves, meaning:
- you make "save 1", its in both places
- update comes, replace files
- make "save 2", now in user folder you have both saves, in game folder you only have save 2
also some stuff can go south if you play on multiple OS's because saves are not exactly 100% cross platform, for example just recently i had an issue with city of broken dreamers where the linux bundled runtime didnt like the nvidia driver so performance was horrible, then my system's renpy runtime worked with the nvidia driver but animations froze for 2 seconds on every loop, problem is i found out about that like 30 mins into the playthrough, so i switched to using the windows executable through wine, that ran perfectly but the save didnt want to load. then i accidentally opened the linux version again the next day, save loaded, but globals and persistents (think gallery images and save independent stuff) were reset, went back to the windows exe and they were still gone, while the save was fine.
oh thats annoying, its curious that its not cross compat. and even more confusing is that it overwrites the persistant but keeps the old saves

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes