Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

unroot

Aug 14, 2019
Recently, Windows crashed and everything was deleted, I was lucky that a couple of weeks before that I made a backup copy of f95checker, some of the new data, of course, disappeared, but I was able to quickly restore it. And now I would like to change the storage data to a portable hard drive, where all my games are stored
a look into (around line 60) on GitHub shows hardcoded data_path variables for each OS. If WillyJL didn't add an override at another place it's locked to the AppData-directory for each user. %AppData% would have been possible to solve with a bit of magic on the console (was still possible on Win 7 in a .cmd-file, made some things portable that way) but it looks like a directory path without reading that variable.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Ah man, macOS version isn't opening.
Says it quit unexpectedly and asks to report to Apple. :/
Same here. It looks like there's a code signing error on the included python executable, and when it looks for the system python, it's looking for /usr/bin/Python when it should look for /usr/bin/python with a lowercase 'p'.
weird, i didnt change much about the build process... mainly i just updated to python 3.11...

Took about 5 attempts (waiting up to 10 minuets first time) for it to finally update for me got there in the end.
kept refusing to update, was on a non-release build, forget which one atm but i can find it if you want, i wrote it here somewhere. Had to update manually
what kind of error was it giving?
EDIT: realized ascsd posted the error screenshot, what about you AmBush-UK ?

EDIT: Woops... the Windows release version doesn't let me navigate the folders when trying to select an exe (it's the first time I'm actually using this feature). Double clicking a folder doesn't do anything, only way to get there is typing the full path in the field in top. (also created issue on github)
hm, works still fine on linux for me... ill investigate... maybe its a coincidence and your not doubleclicking fast enough? imgui has quite a short double click time to be honest... or maybe youre moving the mouse by a few pixels between the clicks... either way ill try to make it less strict on those

I one thing that is confusing me every time: Is there a way to change how the dates are displayed? dd/mm/yyyy is too easily confused with mm/dd/yyyy.
My country uses dd.mm.yyyy and all my systems are set to display yyyy-mm-dd, as i find that more usable for work with older files (some things go back to 1996... damn, i'm getting old:sneaky:)
I also want to change it. I want to set it to
will think about it

So that problem with the command prompt being open with it is fixed but uhh, not because of the update? I run the launcher through a shortcut and it would go through the checking, update notification, download & "install" but never reopened automatically... so I did that myself and it was still the old version. I figured probably needs to be ran as admin so I decided to just run it as admin from the location (not shortcut) and the old version launched up and the command prompt wasn't hanging around lol, updated etc fine after that too and the command prompt has remained gone too even if I don't run it as admin.

I guessing doing that once fixed whatever it was trying to do? lol.
windows is weird and stupid, so im not surprised. for some reason someone 40 years ago decided to make shortcuts not be symbolic links like every other sensible operating system does, instead shortcuts are their own files, with .lnk extension, that then launch the executable. thats probably it. also to add insult to injury, the web shortcut files have their own extension, .url. so stupid.

hi i love this tool, but after the update it doesn't open anymore and i always get this error message on startup

cx_Freeze: Python error in main script

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.11.0\x64\Lib\site-packages\cx_Freeze\initscripts\__startup__.py", line 138, in run
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.11.0\x64\Lib\site-packages\cx_Freeze\initscripts\console.py", line 16, in run
File "D:\a\F95Checker\F95Checker\main.py", line 85, in <module>
File "D:\a\F95Checker\F95Checker\main.py", line 38, in main
File "D:\a\F95Checker\F95Checker\modules\gui.py", line 306, in __init__
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.11.0\x64\Lib\site-packages\imgui\integrations\glfw.py", line 12, in __init__
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.11.0\x64\Lib\site-packages\imgui\integrations\opengl.py", line 60, in __init__
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.11.0\x64\Lib\site-packages\imgui\integrations\base.py", line 17, in __init__
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.11.0\x64\Lib\site-packages\imgui\integrations\opengl.py", line 84, in _create_device_objects
File "src\\latebind.pyx", line 39, in OpenGL_accelerate.latebind.LateBind.__call__
File "src\\wrapper.pyx", line 318, in OpenGL_accelerate.wrapper.Wrapper.__call__
File "src\\wrapper.pyx", line 311, in OpenGL_accelerate.wrapper.Wrapper.__call__
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.11.0\x64\Lib\site-packages\OpenGL\platform\baseplatform.py", line 415, in __call__
File "src\\errorchecker.pyx", line 58, in OpenGL_accelerate.errorchecker._ErrorChecker.glCheckError
OpenGL.error.GLError: GLError(
err = 1282,
description = b'Der Vorgang ist ung\xfcltig.',
baseOperation = glGetIntegerv,
pyArgs = (
GL_TEXTURE_BINDING_2D,
<object object at 0x0000020BD9A54E20>,
),
cArgs = (
GL_TEXTURE_BINDING_2D,
array([0], dtype=int32),
),
cArguments = (
GL_TEXTURE_BINDING_2D,
array([0], dtype=int32),
)
)

Edit: i downloaded the latest version for windows again, but still get the same error message
Edit2: rolled back to 9.4, which works perfectly
can you tell me what 9.4 says for your opengl version? yo ucan find it by clicking the text in the bottom right corner, next to the logo theres opengl version numbers.

Great update. The only thing I don't like is this View attachment 2179613 . Open thread and copy link were way more useful imo. Can you maybe make it an option and not a permanent thing?
maybe, but i made it this way because when you have a lot of games you tend to forget what you had installed or not so the info pane gives access to everything at once, and now you can also scroll through the info panes for the updated games, with arrow keys or the buttons on screen

Also while updating, it wasnt refreshing the update screen, had to move my mouse over it to render
good catch, means that now when i make 9.5.1 many people will be confused, should have thought about it sooner

Can the data location be changed? I couldn't figure it out
(usually C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\f95checker\)
you cant move it unless you change the code. i dont want to allow changing it because it brings up so many issues with where to actually read the data from... like if you changed the location, where would i save that you chose a new path? the registry? but linux and macos dont have that. also many other problems that dont come to mind right now, but i have had this asked before and i went through them before.

what you can do instead is make symbolic links to the folders... google is always your friend :D

Last edited:

AmBush-UK

Aug 1, 2018
Recently, Windows crashed and everything was deleted, I was lucky that a couple of weeks before that I made a backup copy of f95checker, some of the new data, of course, disappeared, but I was able to quickly restore it. And now I would like to change the storage data to a portable hard drive, where all my games are stored
Ahhh, So you know the benefit of backing up data,
I Have Google Drive (other backup software is available :ROFLMAO: ) back up my C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\RenPy folder. and F95

Last edited:

AmBush-UK

Aug 1, 2018
weird, i didnt change much about the build process... mainly i just updated to python 3.11...

what kind of error was it giving?
EDIT: realized ascsd posted the error screenshot, what about you AmBush-UK ?

hm, works still fine on linux for me... ill investigate... maybe its a coincidence and your not doubleclicking fast enough? imgui has quite a short double click time to be honest... or maybe youre moving the mouse by a few pixels between the clicks... either way ill try to make it less strict on those

will think about it

windows is weird and stupid, so im not surprised. for some reason someone 40 years ago decided to make shortcuts not be symbolic links like every other sensible operating system does, instead shortcuts are their own files, with .lnk extension, that then launch the executable. thats probably it. also to add insult to injury, the web shortcut files have their own extension, .url. so stupid.

can you tell me what 9.4 says for your opengl version? yo ucan find it by clicking the text in the bottom right corner, next to the logo theres opengl version numbers.

maybe, but i made it this way because when you have a lot of games you tend to forget what you had installed or not so the info pane gives access to everything at once, and now you can also scroll through the info panes for the updated games, with arrow keys or the buttons on screen

good catch, means that now when i make 9.5.1 many people will be confused, should have thought about it sooner

you cant move it unless you change the code. i dont want to allow changing it because it brings up so many issues with where to actually read the data from... like if you changed the location, where would i save that you chose a new path? the registry? but linux and macos dont have that. also many other problems that dont come to mind right now, but i have had this asked before and i went through them before.

what you can do instead is make symbolic links to the folders... google is always your friend :D

Didn't get any errors, It just seemed to take a long time to restart. I waited about 10 minuets for the update (I Know it said do not launch but 10 minuets was longer than It's taken in previous updates)

Could have been Windows being an arse or I had too much running but all good now.

Reactions: WillyJL

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
wtf. the only thing this can mean is that you dont have powershell installed, what the actual fuck windows. its supposed to be built into the system. can you open a cmd and try to run powershell?

forget which one atm but i can find it if you want, i wrote it here somewhere. Had to update manually
and no need, its in the bottom right corner :p
used that to track the commit, but yeah, what i said above.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Didn't get any errors, It just seemed to take a long time to restart. I waited about 10 minuets for the update (I Know it said do not launch but 10 minuets was longer than It's taken in previous updates)

Could have been Windows being an arse or I had too much running but all good now.
were you on a beta build? cos i just realized a small thing that im fixing right now, but only some betas (and now 9.5 when youll update to 9.5.1) are affected

unroot

Aug 14, 2019

For that question about how to save where the data_path is stored:
some software i meet under windows over the years can use a portable mode when a type of config file is created in the same directory as the executable.
So that program would first check if that file exists and only derive to a subfolder of the directory if that file is found (some had a .ini instead for tweaks and you had to add something like portable=true to make it portable).
In my opinion it would need a check for a file and some if's paired with the right method to use a subfolder (Not really helpful, i know. I'm way better reading code than writing some).

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
For that question about how to save where the data_path is stored:
some software i meet under windows over the years can use a portable mode when a type of config file is created in the same directory as the executable.
So that program would first check if that file exists and only derive to a subfolder of the directory if that file is found (some had a .ini instead for tweaks and you had to add something like portable=true to make it portable).
In my opinion it would need a check for a file and some if's paired with the right method to use a subfolder (Not really helpful, i know. I'm way better reading code than writing some).
but updates clear the tool's folder...

unroot

Aug 14, 2019
Found a small bug and and old quirk.
The bug: if i got an alert in bg-mode and switch to windowed i sometimes have to cancel that dialog up to eight times. The log-file knows nothing about that. (The tool still works fine, so i don't want to call it a real bug.)
The quirk: the light bulb is back and decided to stay again till i restart the checker (i know, that quirk is mine alone :sneaky:)

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Found a small bug and and old quirk.
The bug: if i got an alert in bg-mode and switch to windowed i sometimes have to cancel that dialog up to eight times. The log-file knows nothing about that. (The tool still works fine, so i don't want to call it a real bug.)
The quirk: the light bulb is back and decided to stay again till i restart the checker (i know, that quirk is mine alone :sneaky:)
are you on kde plasma? because i use a bit of a workaround there. as in, qt and plasma have had a retarded bug for years now. so basically you can setup a callback for when a notification is clicked. i set that to show the interface, so that stuff happens in the (hidden) interface and the notifications tells you "hey this happened, click to view" and it opens the main interface. issue is that for years now clicking on notifications just closes them on kde plasma. to have the click execute the callback you gave it, you must mark it as a critical error notification. and critical error notifications dont close by themselves after a few seconds and tend to be quite persistent...

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
None of that, not moving the mouse and if I click any faster it would start smoking ;) wouldn't be so bad if it also would react to the enter key
Didn't know about the drag&drop thing, but as said already, that don't work either

There's always the option to use an environment variable to point to alternate save location. That's how I tell Ren'Py to save the shadow copies to a location not in the %appdata% folder.

Last edited:

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Same here. It looks like there's a code signing error on the included python executable, and when it looks for the system python, it's looking for /usr/bin/Python when it should look for /usr/bin/python with a lowercase 'p'.
hm so. the build did not give any weird output about codesign, it looks like it went normal? only relevant things i changed are: python is now 3.11.0 from 3.10.8, i now install cx_Freeze with pip directly instead of cloning and pip installing locally but still with same cx freeze version, and i updated the github actions setup-python script...

sadly when I moved for uni I had to change pc and macos vms don’t work for me now, so I can’t really help out...

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 21 Votes