Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

petromonium

May 20, 2017
Personally, I'd download a fresh file

Make a copy of the F95 Checker Folder, Delete contents of the original and Extract new download into it & try launching again.
But I'm impatient lol

while I wait for WillyJL to see the post, He's normally quick to respond.
i tried downloading a fresh file with no luck sadly, the strange thing is that i didn't touch anything on my pc since the update 9.5.1. I must have broken something but i don't know what nor how..

Last edited:

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

So i just got this error and F95checker won't start obviously. Got the letest build. Anybody kows what's the deal, how to fix? Thanks!
That is... odd to say the least. That variable is obtained from opening an invisible game list to get sort and column options before drawing the game grid. But for some reason the invisible game list does not get created so that information is left unassigned... can you try deleting imgui.ini in you data folder (check FAQ)? Doing so will only reset the interface settings like enabled columns and sorting.

EDIT: actually before deleting it send it in a reply here so I can take a look at it, then delete and see if it runs

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
I was hopeful reading the last two posts until I viewed the error popup itself posted by petromonium.
Tried running build 796 and run into a similar problem, only the error in mine is different... build 789 ran. Error started with build 794
Oddly enough... the solution is the same to get it running, but as soon as I left or right-click inside the gamelist, it bombs with the same error (second error screenshot)
imgui.ini attached + screenshot showing which column is which inside ini. Error screenshot is from build 796 because lineNrs changed between last tried builds
1669803125236.png 774.jpg 1669804073510.png

Last edited:

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I was hopeful reading the last two posts until I viewed the error popup itself posted by petromonium.
Tried running build 796 and run into a similar problem, only the error in mine is different... build 789 ran. Error started with build 794
Oddly enough... the solution is the same to get it running, but as soon as I left or right-click inside the gamelist, it bombs with the same error (second error screenshot)
imgui.ini attached + screenshot showing which column is which inside ini. Error screenshot is from build 796 because lineNrs changed between last tried builds
View attachment 2203819 View attachment 2203821 View attachment 2203862
Still have to look into the imgui.ini issue, not sure how that could affect the table not being opened, but for those 2 errors (well same error, different lines cos I changed other stuff) it’s just a small oversight that slipped through while refactoring older code. Easy enough to fix

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
View attachment 2203819 View attachment 2203821 View attachment 2203862
fixed the modules.utils 'pop_alpha' issue in latest build, looking into the imgui.ini table issue

Reactions: FaceCrap

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I wasn't one of the ones asking for custom labels so idk how valuable my suggestions will be..

I think there's 2 uses for labels, a quick way of identifying something as well as multiple labels to categorize the game.
eg: interested/dropped vs story-driven/sandbox/funny
so maybe you can split the labels into 1 "main" label and many "other" labels. then you can have a column with only the main label which makes it sortable, and also add the main label in the info popup (under type?) aswell for quick identification

as for how to display the "other" labels, first letter (or first 2 to help reduce name clash) in a dot with color would work, idk if you can add a tooltip to show the full name? an even more complicated solution would be if you can specify the short version of the label
i agree with most of what youre saying here, but also want to keep it simple. i think i found a decent middle ground:
DarkMask magrao121 ogKimra lewdypie (made a quick search in this thread to see who i talked about adding this with before)

you can easily add icons, labels are shown next to the name, but with a smaller font and only show the first character of each word. so really you could use no spaces in the name and put an icon as the first character and have the short labels only show the icon. also hovering the short labels shows the full label name in a tooltip. no sorting but you can filter. can add labels from right click menu or from the info popup. also this new icon selector is
available on most textboxes (where it makes sense) so yo ucan use them in game notes and so on

try them in

View attachment Record_F95Checker_20221201022653.mp4

Last edited:
Reactions: ascsd

unroot

Aug 14, 2019
you can easily add icons, labels are shown next to the name, but with a smaller font and only show the first character of each word. so really you could use no spaces in the name and put an icon as the first character and have the short labels only show the icon. also hovering the short labels shows the full label name in a tooltip. no sorting but you can filter. can add labels from right click menu or from the info popup. also this new icon selector is
available on most textboxes (where it makes sense) so yo ucan use them in game notes and so on

try them in
didn't try that build (want to wait till the next stable & github want's that stupid 2FA email login again) but still have a question:
Is there a simple way to add more/own icons?
Your video shows you type in what might be the name of preinstalled icons but i might have some corner cases standard icons may fail to address (like for windows games that need a VM instead of wine or for a game that needs very much RAM/GPU/CPU).
I know where i can store icons in linux for system/user-wide use but i don't remember win having such a folder (and tons of icons were only inside .dll files) so i wonder where, which format (like png, ico, svg) and how big (in WxH or kb) those are so i could prepare a few i might need.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
didn't try that build (want to wait till the next stable & github want's that stupid 2FA email login again) but still have a question:
Your video shows you type in what might be the name of preinstalled icons but i might have some corner cases standard icons may fail to address (like for windows games that need a VM instead of wine or for a game that needs very much RAM/GPU/CPU).
I know where i can store icons in linux for system/user-wide use but i don't remember win having such a folder (and tons of icons were only inside .dll files) so i wonder where, which format (like png, ico, svg) and how big (in WxH or kb) those are so i could prepare a few i might need.
I am already using so i could allow and call it a day. Maybe i could make it so in list and grid it shows the first letter of the label name, so if you put an icon for the first character it looks somewhat cool as a small colored icon?
Images are often hard to deal with, and icons often go next to text, and fonts can contain literally anything even if it doesnt represent text, so a very common way to add icons to programs is via an icon font. imgui in particular is very annoying with images, and also it would not accept an image buffer for something like a button for example, you make a button and give it a textual label to show on top of it. so again easiest solution is adding icons to the font. then the icons are just characters that dont mean anything in any language, but are assigned a particular glyph in the font file that shows the respective icon. think emojis. what i use is just another font that applies the same concept of emojis with another set of characters and glyphs. allowing custom images would have been an incredible headache, borderline undoable, and i was already using the material design icons webfont for literally all the, maybe 15, icons you see in the program, so the easiest and more sensible solution was to give access to the other 6964 icons in the font with a simple icon picker. just had to do a little reverse engineering on how to parse the font file to find the icon names/ids (thats what you see in modules/icons.py) and make a very basic popup listing them.

and even if the above issues with images in imgui and passing icons to buttons and the like were not a problem, you forget that this program also needs to work on the shithole that is windows. icons are a mess on windows. they use dll files for icons on windows. no way i am messing with that bullshit. icon font ftw
EDIT: for this last part i hadnt fully read your comment. in fact, windows would be an issue as you figured out by yourself

but to properly answer your question
not really no. you could edit the icon font file (resources/fonts/materialdesignicons-webfont.*.ttf), but thats about it. and it would get reset on update, so youd need to swap it each time

Reactions: unroot

unroot

Aug 14, 2019
but to properly answer your question

not really no. you could edit the icon font file (resources/fonts/materialdesignicons-webfont.*.ttf), but thats about it. and it would get reset on update, so youd need to swap it each time
well, that is a good answer, thank you for that.
Seems with linux a simple daily cronjob would be best to ensure the .ttf is the one that should be there (a simple md5-check and replace if not equal). even windows can do such as a planned task (unsure of name, didn't use english win). with mac i'm not sure, never had something with an bitten apple ever.
Didn't modify a font since win 98 but i will look into it (that program back then could only paint solid black pixels...)

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
Bug report - Build 812

went from build 773 to build 812. tried launching but window didn't appear.
Looking at task manager, there was about 7 f95checkers running in background (yet no checker in notification tray). Closing them all fixed the problem.

For a brief moment after waking up computer from sleep mode, there was one f95checker in notification tray and accidently pressed f95checker again. it opened a new checker. I closed it and there was now 2 checker. Didn't check what would happen if i opened the old one and see if it would delete itself. Ended both, opened a new one. Opening another one doesn't doesn't duplicate

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Bug report - Build 812

went from build 773 to build 812. tried launching but window didn't appear.
Looking at task manager, there was about 7 f95checkers running in background (yet no checker in notification tray). Closing them all fixed the problem.

For a brief moment after waking up computer from sleep mode, there was one f95checker in notification tray and accidently pressed f95checker again. it opened a new checker. I closed it and there was now 2 checker. Didn't check what would happen if i opened the old one and see if it would delete itself. Ended both, opened a new one. Opening another one doesn't doesn't duplicate
no clue to be honest. there is nothing that i changed between those builds that would explain this stuff. for the sleep issue only thing i think of is that maybe windows being windows it forgot that the first instance requested a mutex lock, so it allowed the second one to open, or maybe the first one was not responding... either way as i said nothing i changed recently could have caused anything like that, so for now im attributing it to weird windows behavior. if it shows again, for you or someone else, let me know so i can actually take it into consideration

Reactions: GAB

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
well, that is a good answer, thank you for that.
Seems with linux a simple daily cronjob would be best to ensure the .ttf is the one that should be there (a simple md5-check and replace if not equal). even windows can do such as a planned task (unsure of name, didn't use english win). with mac i'm not sure, never had something with an bitten apple ever.
Didn't modify a font since win 98 but i will look into it (that program back then could only paint solid black pixels...)
also consider that i reverse engineered the font file by hand (well i used 010editor's ttf template and tried to get a basic understanding out of it) to be able to parse the icon names right from the font file, and im not that familiar with the ttf font file structure so i just did some basic offset inspection and logic to find them (again, modules/icons.py). if editing the font alters the font file structure significantly i cant guarantee it will be able to parse it, so try to stick to just replacing glyphs instead of trying to add new ones. or maybe even try editing the source code for the font and compiling a new one yourself, since mdi is open source. or you could just make do with the default selection... there is an icon for the windows logo, microsoft logo, and so many more generic ones that could be suitable for nearly everything

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
Got a request, but please! Only consider this if it is not too complex/much work. From what I noticed trying to play with the interface column value, the kanban view works with a fixed column width. I don't know if this is pure coincidence, but it looks like a game uses the exact same width as in grid view, which for me is set at 6 games in a row. Given there's these days monitors with different ratios, some of us may have widescreen monitors, also some of us may be using only a few labels. With the current implementation that may (and I stress may) lead to a display where part of the space is not used. I've attached a screenshot of what I mean, purely as an example based on 2 labels (giving 3 columns).

To make the best use of available screen width/window space, would it be possible to divide the available space by the number of used labels and allow a single kanban column to show more than 1 game horizontal?

I mean, in the sample screenshot (resized to 2/3 screen width) that would mean that each kanban column could be 2 games wide.
F95Checker at 2/3 screen width on widescreen
1670075048980.png

And if used fullscreen on a widescreen monitor, each kanban column could be 3 games wide.
Fullscreen
1670075166180.png

And yes, I realize there's going to be people using more labels than the 2 in this example, which problably is going to need horizontal scrolling. But likewise there's also going to be people using less labels than the number of columns that can fit on the available screen width. there may even be people who won't use this feature at all which would mean that for them it would look the same as grid view. Although I suspect that won't be that many, or even nobody :LOL:

Last edited:

GrammerCop

Donor
Mar 15, 2020
i agree with most of what youre saying here, but also want to keep it simple. i think i found a decent middle ground:
DarkMask magrao121 ogKimra lewdypie (made a quick search in this thread to see who i talked about adding this with before)

<snip>
I like it.

How are you doing? It has been a while since I checked out this tool, and I can see it has evolved fairly well. Great job, WillyJL. And, this feature is one of the best features I have seen on any app.

But since you are talking about the checkboxes, I do have an observation: in the list view, when you hover over a checkbox, the highlighting disappears for the line. This threw me off a little bit. It would be nice if it didn't disappear, but it isn't a deal breaker for me. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Keep up the fantastic work on this tool.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I like it.

How are you doing? It has been a while since I checked out this tool, and I can see it has evolved fairly well. Great job, WillyJL. And, this feature is one of the best features I have seen on any app.

But since you are talking about the checkboxes, I do have an observation: in the list view, when you hover over a checkbox, the highlighting disappears for the line. This threw me off a little bit. It would be nice if it didn't disappear, but it isn't a deal breaker for me. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Keep up the fantastic work on this tool.
Indeed, long time no see. Its nice to see you around and thanks for the kind words, it means a lot <3

I know what you mean with the row highlight, but im also split on it. on one hand yeah it disappears, but on the other hand its not simply a row highlight. Behind the scenes its actually implemented as a sort of button / selectable item, and in fact when you click it you get the popup for the game.. so it also feels natural to me that it stops being highlighted when your click would not target it but another item on top of it... in any case i dont think there would be a reasonable / sensible way to keep it highlighted since its something that imgui (the interface toolkit im now using) does, not me intentionally. only solution that comes to mind would be drawing the row highlight on top of the actual row, but then it would cover the items behind and stop you from using the checkboxes / buttons at all... so yeah sorry i dont think i can do much on that...

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Got a request, but please! Only consider this if it is not too complex/much work. From what I noticed trying to play with the interface column value, the kanban view works with a fixed column width. I don't know if this is pure coincidence, but it looks like a game uses the exact same width as in grid view, which for me is set at 6 games in a row. Given there's these days monitors with different ratios, some of us may have widescreen monitors, also some of us may be using only a few labels. With the current implementation that may (and I stress may) lead to a display where part of the space is not used. I've attached a screenshot of what I mean, purely as an example based on 2 labels (giving 3 columns).

To make the best use of available screen width/window space, would it be possible to divide the available space by the number of used labels and allow a single kanban column to show more than 1 game horizontal?

I mean, in the sample screenshot (resized to 2/3 screen width) that would mean that each kanban column could be 2 games wide.
F95Checker at 2/3 screen width on widescreen
View attachment 2210624

And if used fullscreen on a widescreen monitor, each kanban column could be 3 games wide.
Fullscreen
View attachment 2210631

And yes, I realize there's going to be people using more labels than the 2 in this example, which problably is going to need horizontal scrolling. But likewise there's also going to be people using less labels than the number of columns that can fit on the available screen width. there may even be people who won't use this feature at all which would mean that for them it would look the same as grid view. Although I suspect that won't be that many, or even nobody :LOL:
originally i was thinking of making the games larger if the space was available, but then diteched the idea considering so few games would be visible then and it would defeat the purpose of the kanban view entirely. however this idea of showing multiple games in each kanban column row instead makes a lot of sense, so yeah youve convinced me. and dont worry it shouldnt be too much work

• Red Heart
Reactions: FaceCrap

estrada777

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020
Got an instance where a game was clearly updated on a later date, but the tool doesn't seem to recognize it.

1670212365888.png

It was definitely updated more recently than 20/10/2022.

GrammerCop

Donor
Mar 15, 2020
Got an instance where a game was clearly updated on a later date, but the tool doesn't seem to recognize it.

View attachment 2214173

It was definitely updated more recently than 20/10/2022.
If there was an update later than that, it seems the moderator failed to update the dates. Edit: I have reported this to the OP of the game.

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 21 Votes