Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
It does not show the extension icon on the games page, there is an empty space in its place, but if you move the mouse there, it says that the game is in the library.
enable the "dark mode beta" theme for f95zone at the bottom of the page. i honestly dont get why its still not the default its so much better. eitherway i use that one so i didnt notice it was broken on the default theme

Also, sometimes the extension icons disappears on the "last updates" page, but if you right-click on the extension itself, everything appears.

1.png
the latest updates page is different because it doesnt load the content normally. you load the page, and then the games get loaded after, so by the time the extension runs through the page, the games are not there yet. also if you go to next page the actual page does not reload, only the games get swapped out. i did make it detect when the games show and change, but it might not be 100% reliable apparently (well it has been for me but still). ill look into it. anyway yes by clicking the extension icon it will scan the whole page again, or also by refreshing the page it will sync the game list.

I would also like to suggest something, if it's not difficult for you. Add a background for the icon to make it more visible

2.png 2.png 3.png
there is in fact a background, or well a text shadow. it was way worse at first, but yeah it still isnt good, i can agree on that

I also wanted to suggest adding a clickable button on the labels, so that when marked, it would show only games with this label (and if nothing is marked, it shows all the games) so for example, in 2 clicks you can easily select the group of games that you need
8.jpg
if i do something like that it wont be a checkbox, but more a button that adds the filter automatically. the filter system is already there so i dont want to confuse things

Reactions: simple_human

baileywailey3452

Oct 29, 2022
I full expect a little bit of flame for this, but when it says that it deletes everything upon update, does that mean all the threads I have loaded as well? Just want to make sure I keep all the stuff I've put into it.

Blither

Sep 3, 2018
I full expect a little bit of flame for this, but when it says that it deletes everything upon update, does that mean all the threads I have loaded as well? Just want to make sure I keep all the stuff I've put into it.
I just did it and it did not delete any of my threads.

Blither

Sep 3, 2018
I'm running into an issue similar to aappje above, however, my issue is at line 83 in main.py.
---------------------------
cx_Freeze: Python error in main script
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.11.0\x64\Lib\site-packages\cx_Freeze\initscripts\__startup__.py", line 138, in run
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.11.0\x64\Lib\site-packages\cx_Freeze\initscripts\console.py", line 16, in run
File "D:\a\F95Checker\F95Checker\main.py", line 83, in <module>
File "D:\a\F95Checker\F95Checker\main.py", line 43, in main
File "D:\a\F95Checker\F95Checker\modules\gui.py", line 763, in main_loop
File "D:\a\F95Checker\F95Checker\modules\gui.py", line 2931, in draw_sidebar
UnboundLocalError: cannot access local variable 'type' where it is not associated with a value

OK
Happens every time I hit the checker... So far I have re-downloaded, deleted imgui and cleared chrome cache. Any thoughts? Forgot to mention, it is in version 9.6 and does not occur in 9.5.1
P.S. Apologies for my lake of python knowledge.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
tool folder contains the application ,while your user data is stored in your user folder (check FAQ). but yes the updater could be clearer and state that user data wont be affected. will do

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I'm running into an issue similar to aappje above, however, my issue is at line 83 in main.py.
cx_Freeze: Python error in main script
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.11.0\x64\Lib\site-packages\cx_Freeze\initscripts\__startup__.py", line 138, in run
File "C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.11.0\x64\Lib\site-packages\cx_Freeze\initscripts\console.py", line 16, in run
File "D:\a\F95Checker\F95Checker\main.py", line 83, in <module>
File "D:\a\F95Checker\F95Checker\main.py", line 43, in main
File "D:\a\F95Checker\F95Checker\modules\gui.py", line 763, in main_loop
File "D:\a\F95Checker\F95Checker\modules\gui.py", line 2931, in draw_sidebar
UnboundLocalError: cannot access local variable 'type' where it is not associated with a value

OK
Happens every time I hit the checker... So far I have re-downloaded, deleted imgui and cleared chrome cache. Any thoughts? Forgot to mention, it is in version 9.6 and does not occur in 9.5.1
P.S. Apologies for my lake of python knowledge.
most useful line is usually towards the bottom (of the traceback), its like a hierarchy of where the issue arose, but you dont need to worry about understanding it yourself. if you cant understand / make sense of what the very last line (the actual error message) could mean then dont bother with the traceback, thats mostly just for me to track down the error.

now this makes sense for the error itself, but it shouldnt happen spontaneously. line 2931 is only reached if you click the import thread links button... does the tool not open at all?

Tino D'Rans

Oct 21, 2017
Hey, I have updated to F95Checker 9.6 and every time I try to search a game to add through the tool it spits out this error:

F95Checker_IQW7P8NTdS.png

I have tested with the previous version and the search still works there. I also used the "Labels" build and it also didn't work there, but I assumed it was because it wasn't a "stable" build. I don't know if it messes with anything but the checker did update to 9.6 from that build.

It isn't that big of a deal since I can still add through the extension, just giving you a heads up and hoping it's a easy fix.

Thanks for the awesome work on this, it's an incredibly useful tool that I didn't know I needed

Reactions: WillyJL

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Hey, I have updated to F95Checker 9.6 and every time I try to search a game to add through the tool it spits out this error:

View attachment 2220116

I have tested with the previous version and the search still works there. I also used the "Labels" build and it also didn't work there, but I assumed it was because it wasn't a "stable" build. I don't if it messes with anything but the checker did update to 9.6 from that build.

It isn't that big of a deal since I can still add through the extension, just giving you a heads up and hoping it's a easy fix.

Thanks for the awesome work on this, it's an incredibly useful tool that I didn't know I needed
i had that myself a few days ago and hoped it was a temporary issue with the site, the page returns a "security error" instead of the search results. but if you say that you checked again and it works on the previous version then that narrows it down considerably, thank you.

Reactions: Tino D'Rans

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Tino D'Rans Blither simple_human
just made a :
- unbound local 'type'
- missing extension icons on default f95zone theme (includes latest updates page issue)
- background for extension icons over images
- broken quicksearch
- quick buttons to add label filters

however that last one got me thinking and i went a bit above and beyond: i made it so clicking on most label-like widgets, it will add a filter by it. for example the type widget, clicking on one will add a filter by that specific type. same for status, tags and labels.

now im not 100% sure on that, so i could use some opinions

View attachment Record_F95Checker_20221208000151.mp4

Reactions: simple_human

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
WillyJL checker Version 9.6 reports an invalid image for the game Avalon https://f95zone.to/threads/avalon-v8-2-lockheart.44397/

Edit: Ignore for now I may have a few more.
Maou-Sama https://f95zone.to/threads/maou-sama-week-3-final-neko-hime.47559/

Edit: Edit: Nope, just these two. Edit complete.
yeah i see... theyre png images, but somethings up with them. the only thing i can notice that is peculiar is that my linux (kde dolphin) properties menu says "Document: GIMP 2.10.10" and "Image Date Time: Sunday, 9 ...", while no other png image ive seen so far shows these attributes in the properties panel. my best guess is either that version of gimp made png images very out of standard, which to be fair gimp 2.10.10 was released in 2019, or that this particular metadata throws off pillow (python standard imaging library) since its not supposed to be there? either way doesnt seem to be particularly new, also happens on 9.5 and also its not platform dependent, you have it on windows, i have it on linux, both in source code and binary format.

Reactions: Blither

GrammerCop

Donor
Mar 15, 2020
yeah i see... theyre png images, but somethings up with them. the only thing i can notice that is peculiar is that my linux (kde dolphin) properties menu says "Document: GIMP 2.10.10" and "Image Date Time: Sunday, 9 ...", while no other png image ive seen so far shows these attributes in the properties panel. my best guess is either that version of gimp made png images very out of standard, which to be fair gimp 2.10.10 was released in 2019, or that this particular metadata throws off pillow (python standard imaging library) since its not supposed to be there? either way doesnt seem to be particularly new, also happens on 9.5 and also its not platform dependent, you have it on windows, i have it on linux, both in source code and binary format.
Yeh. Still, kinda weird: only 2 out of 160+ games. (182 total games and mods I have listed). Not a deal breaker.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Yeh. Still, kinda weird: only 2 out of 160+ games. (182 total games and mods I have listed). Not a deal breaker.
Well it’s the first time I’ve seen it in 340 games, and I know GAB has like 1400 games and they never reported anything like this sooo...

ill try to look into it but can’t promise anything, it’s dark magic with reading images, just like with time zones: someone spent a whole lotta time and sweat managing to make something that somehow magically works, so you just roll with it and don’t touch the code while it works, even if only for the most part

Reactions: GrammerCop

unroot

Aug 14, 2019
- broken quicksearch

however that last one got me thinking and i went a bit above and beyond: i made it so clicking on most label-like widgets, it will add a filter by it. for example the type widget, clicking on one will add a filter by that specific type. same for status, tags and labels.

<video removed>
Okay, here my opinion: filter for labels in the sidebar is a good idea, but for the other two (gamelist and detail window) you should add each a toggle. personally, i would use those in the detail window but the ones in the gamelist would keep me frustrated (i tend to click too much around)

BTW: Just updated to 9.6 (+ extension 0.0.3) and i love that updater (specific how it counts from 5 to 0, nice touch). Labeling works (had to watch the video again to find the icon selector, but i that's me) and i can even avoid font-editing by using different colors with the same icon.

Edit: found a very minor visual thing with the new extension: the icon (in this case from two games) on latest page floats above the hovertext from a game 1 or 2 collums above. Just for information

Last edited:
Reactions: ascsd and WillyJL

Blither

Sep 3, 2018
just made a :
- unbound local 'type'
- missing extension icons on default f95zone theme (includes latest updates page issue)
- broken quicksearch

View attachment 2220304
Thank you!

Tino D'Rans

Oct 21, 2017
just made a :
- unbound local 'type'
- broken quicksearch

View attachment 2220304
Everything i tested worked perfectly, thank you for the quick fix!

About the quick filters, only thing I would suggest adding is a "Update available" filter when clicking the corresponding icon, but that's a minor nitpick. Other than that seems pretty useful imo.

Would also love to see the checker functionality extended to the whole site instead of only to added games, so you could search and find new games, but I can see how that falls out of the scope of the purpose this tool was made for (and it would probably be a pain in the ass to code lol).

As always, thank you for the great work!

Edit: One other suggestion would be to save the current filters when closing the checker, so that when we opened it again the same filters would still be applied. It would be useful if when you open the checker just to play a game that a filter for installed games would still be set from last time, for example.

Last edited:

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
tool folder contains the application ,while your user data is stored in your user folder (check FAQ). but yes the updater could be clearer and state that user data wont be affected. will do
Another suggestion would be when the powershell windows opens up, instead of having a blank blue window, make it show some words. At least to know it's a normal thing and isn't freezing (compared to last time (which btw good job for fixing it)).

bonus suggestion, have a final window that checks if the updating worked properly and say "f95checker has updated to latest version"

both of them sound optional now that I think about it...

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Okay, here my opinion: filter for labels in the sidebar is a good idea, but for the other two (gamelist and detail window) you should add each a toggle. personally, i would use those in the detail window but the ones in the gamelist would keep me frustrated (i tend to click too much around)
Smart thinking, a toggle is a good idea

Edit: found a very minor visual thing with the new extension: the icon (in this case from two games) on latest page floats above the hovertext from a game 1 or 2 collums above. Just for information
Not sure I understand what you mean, mind a screenshot?

About the quick filters, only thing I would suggest adding is a "Update available" filter when clicking the corresponding icon, but that's a minor nitpick. Other than that seems pretty useful imo.
Was thinking about that myself but I was like “nah that’s too much”, but then if I make it a toggle like unroot suggests then it should be fine

Would also love to see the checker functionality extended to the whole site instead of only to added games, so you could search and find new games, but I can see how that falls out of the scope of the purpose this tool was made for (and it would probably be a pain in the ass to code lol).
ok this question could be interpreted in multiple ways, so I’ll answer the two that make the most sense to me as features. So you can’t only track games with the tool, it really is based on threads so you could add just about any thread to it, even tho updates depend on version numbers so you won’t get no “update” notifications for those. Then, for discovering new games without the website. So the bottombar can actually be used the same way as the quick search on the f95zone homepage, so you type in your query and press enter, a bit after that you get a popup with relevant results and you can click to add them. Then in the “explore” sense, like social media makes so mainstream nowadays, well yeah that’s not gonna happen in f95checker, the forum already does that perfectly and the extension makes it decently bearable to integrate them. Putting it into the tool would require a decent way to show images without fully downloading them, which would be a big challenge, and then the algorithms for what to show... no thanks :D

Edit: One other suggestion would be to save the current filters when closing the checker, so that when we opened it again the same filters would still be applied. It would be useful if when you open the checker just to play a game that a filter for installed games would still be set from last time, for example.
It’s planned, the plans and progress tracker is linked in the OP btw

Another suggestion would be when the powershell windows opens up, instead of having a blank blue window, make it show some words. At least to know it's a normal thing and isn't freezing (compared to last time (which btw good job for fixing it)).

bonus suggestion, have a final window that checks if the updating worked properly and say "f95checker has updated to latest version"

both of them sound optional now that I think about it...
Hm yeah... the update already relies on a basic powershell script, so making it show some status messages and have some error handling should be doable. A proper window not really, showing windows is actually quite harder than you might think, but the shell is already there so sure. Side note I didn’t even originally intend on having it shown, it was supposed to be a quick and painless “delete old files, move new ones” so I thought it would be fine just without a window, just old one closes and max a few seconds later the new one opens, but here we are and in fine with it

Reactions: Tino D'Rans

unroot

Aug 14, 2019
Not sure I understand what you mean, mind a screenshot?
This view got it two times, once directly beneath the version number and the second one to the right of the tag 'monster'.

Browser: Waterfox G5.1 (Firefox 100+ based); relevant? Addons: uBlock Origin, uMatrix (both say nothing was blocked on F95)
[seems my imgur uploads are never displayed here, but the link still works]

test9555

Jul 18, 2021
Comodo firewall reporting generic trojan c@6@1. Maybe scan result it's false positive maybe it's not. At least you all should know about it. (v9.6)

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes