Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
FaceCrap made me realize that I made some small internal changes to widget unique ids (some of them lead to crashes so I fixed them up a bit) and that seems to discard your previous list settings like column order, visibility, size and sorting preferences. Sorry for that, didn’t anticipate that outcome when I really should’ve

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
FaceCrap made me realize that I made some small internal changes to widget unique ids (some of them lead to crashes so I fixed them up a bit) and that seems to discard your previous list settings like column order, visibility, size and sorting preferences. Sorry for that, didn’t anticipate that outcome when I really should’ve
Luckily there is a relative easy way to restore the original settings so not all is lost

Make sure F95Checker is closed before attempting the following.

In your %appdata%\f95checker folder lives a file named imgui.ini

step 1. Locate that file and make a backup copy of said file just in case.
step 2. Open it in a text editor, you will notice there's two ini sections starting with [Table]
step 3. Copy the lines starting with Column of the first [Table][...] section and paste them into the second [Table][...] replacing only the 0 to 16 column definitions
(Note that's actually 17 lines but the numbering is zero based).
step 4. Change the Visible value in the Column 17 definition in the second [Table][...] section from 1 to 0 (it's the new Folder Icon column)

When you relaunch F95Checker you should have your original settings restored and you can now enable the Folder Icon column if you wish and place it wherever you like

Now, I realize not everyone will be comfortable with doing this, but if you follow the above steps, it should be relatively simple.

PS: Don't forget to save the changes after step 4 ;)

Last edited:

lewdypie

Feb 13, 2021
@lewdypie @baloneysammich how about this?
(also excuse the glitchyness, blame nvidia linux drivers for that)
Looks great, thanks for the hard work!

Maybe one idea: Since the property for the installed checkbox is a string and not a bool anyway, you could give us the option to choose to display it as checked for games that have updates available?

My brain always tries to insist to see this as a boolean, meaning if I see it unchecked the initial reaction is always to think I don't have this game installed yet, even if I just don't have the latest version.
I know you can filter for installed included outdated (thanks for that by the way) but would be nice if we could customize it anyway ;-)

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Looks great, thanks for the hard work!

Maybe one idea: Since the property for the installed checkbox is a string and not a bool anyway, you could give us the option to choose to display it as checked for games that have updates available?

My brain always tries to insist to see this as a boolean, meaning if I see it unchecked the initial reaction is always to think I don't have this game installed yet, even if I just don't have the latest version.
I know you can filter for installed included outdated (thanks for that by the way) but would be nice if we could customize it anyway ;-)
That is a good idea, problem is that then there would be no way to tell it that you’ve updated... I’ll see if I can manage to make a three state checkbox, so it’s off, semi on, and on, if I can’t do that I’ll make a setting as you suggested and make the update marker clickable to set as updated

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
Ehm, NO?!, I'm one of those who never keeps a game installed after playing... mainly due to the number of VN's I have in my list. I would need a separate HD to keep all of them installed. Your suggestion, if honored, would make it look like I still have it installed, thus not being able to separate them from the ones I actually do have installed...
Had to adapt already to the 180degree behaviour change from 8.5 to 9.0, this would complicate things even more... Checkboxes are booleans, so it should be either on or off. That Willy "abuses" it internally to keep track of last installed version makes no difference, outward it still should act as bool.

He's already considering adding an indicator in front of the title and changing the color highlight... me thinks that should be more than enough to alert you that a game has an update.
Plus, the meaning is exactly what you're triggered to think, you may have the old version still, but the update isn't installed. Which is what a cleared checkbox reflects.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound blunt, but like I said, I just think the options shown in the preview vids would be the best.

Last edited:

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I feel like this is the best compromise. I personally actually REALLY prefer how this turned out to how it was before. This way i see the updates at the top when im sorting by installed, theres an update marker, and the checkbox makes it clear whether the game is up to date, installed but not on latest version, or not installed at all. If you have any objections it will take A LOT of convincing to change my mind.

For your situation FaceCrap you could just disable the installed checkbox column and simply use the played checkbox? that is a true boolean, doesnt store any hidden values. (and if you never ticked the installed box in the first place it will think it was never installed so update markers wont show for you... idk really i feel like it is totally manageable even with your use case)

Its shown in the second vid but ill explain it to be sure. The triple state checkbox should be fairly intuitive:
- if its off, a click will make it on
- if its on, a click will make it off
- if its half (installed but outdated), a click will make it on (mark as up to date, make the update marker go away)

If you want to give it a try I just started a beta build workflow, should be done in about 15 minutes.

lewdypie baloneysammich
View attachment Record_F95Checker_20221023180312.mp4
View attachment Record_F95Checker_20221023175944.mp4

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: baloneysammich

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
I still don't see the added value... in this scenario there's never gonna be a situation where the checkbox gets cleared other than manual action\
besides, even with a cleared checkbox, sorting would still show the updates at the top...

Now we have a checkbox that never gets cleared by an update, totally changing it's original meaning again! into something else.

Off - game is updated, update not installed
On - game is up to date and installed.

sorting would put cleared boxes at the top (given the desired sort direction is used), indicating which game got an update

Last edited:

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
I feel like this is the best compromise. I personally actually REALLY prefer how this turned out to how it was before. This way i see the updates at the top when im sorting by installed, theres an update marker, and the checkbox makes it clear whether the game is up to date, installed but not on latest version, or not installed at all. If you have any objections it will take A LOT of convincing to change my mind.
No objections here! This is pretty much exactly how I had hoped it would work. Even my suggestion to use labels was secondary to something like this. Looking forward to trying it out.

Reactions: WillyJL

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I still don't see the added value... in this scenario there's never gonna be a situation where the checkbox gets cleared other than manual action\
besides, even with a cleared checkbox, sorting would still show the updates at the top...
thats the point...? picture this.
the game is installed. the installed checkbox is ticked fully. an update comes. the game does not magically disappear from your harddrive. it is still installed. but not the latest version. so the checkbox is half ticked, and if you are sorting by installed then it shows at the top because it is to be expected that you might be interested in updating that game.

removing a game is a manual action. unlike the game receiving an update, you are the one deleting the files from your drive. so it makes sense that to mark it as not installed it should require manual action to untick the checkbox.

same thing with updating a game you had installed previously. its a manual action so you have to manually tell it that the latest version is now installed

overall it just makes much more sense to have three states to the checkbox to represent that state of the game. it can be installed on latest version, installed but outdated, or not installed at all.

for your usecase i would:
mark all games as not installed at all. hide the installed column. when an update comes download the game, play it, and mark as played.

Reactions: baloneysammich

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
It doesn't work that way now, so how do you figure that? :unsure:
if you sort on the installed column you get all of the cleared boxes in top, given the correct sort order... with only two states it can't do anything else... that is, when the box gets cleared due to an update.

WillyJL well, we have to agree to disagree then... in my view that checkbox reflects the state of the update as "not installed"
Assuming a game will always be installed and then having the checkbox match an assumption about an older version still being present... doesn't feel logical if the intention was for it to be an update checker...

box ticked for me meant I downloaded the update, box getting cleared when an update appeared meant for me that I still have to download that update.
Pretty much everything automatic... not having to go and clear checkboxes manually
Your suggestion of hiding that column would only allow me to mark a game as played, but won't allow me to see whether or not I downloaded the update.

The notion that it should assume what's on my HD don't feel logical, to me an update checker should keep track of what gets updated, downloaded and subsequently played, not what's on my HD

Last edited:

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
@WillyJL well, we have to agree to disagree then... in my view that checkbox reflects the state of the update as "not installed"
Assuming a game will always be installed and then having the checkbox match an assumption about an older version still being present... doesn't feel logical if the intention was for it to be an update checker...

box ticked for me meant I downloaded the update, box getting cleared when an update appeared meant for me that I still have to download that update.
Pretty much everything autmatic... your suggestion of hiding that column would only allow me to mark a game as played, not whether or not I downloaded the update.
sure but i feel like its not merely an update checker. if it were, then there would be no executable selection and play button... and games that are completed or abandoned wouldnt make sense being tracked since they cant get new updates... but its not like that, this is more of a game library who's main feature is tracking updates.

and i dont see how you cant do what you did before, with the new system... box half ticked = the update is NOT installed. box fully ticked = update IS installed. update comes, box becomes half ticked, the update is not installed. sure maybe for you that means the game itself is not installed, but then just dont tell the tool that, and use the checkbox as an "update installed" tracker, not a "game installed" tracker

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I have an improvement idea, can the rows or text get an other color if there is no valid .exe selected for the row?

This is a problem I'm having only because from the beginning I haven't been selecting the .exe because of my folder structure, but I think it can be useful to others too if you move files around or change the setup.
im implementing this rn, what i think ill do is make it always possible to select an exe and click the play button, then change the border of the play button accordingly to the status of the exe: dark if not selected (can still click to select and play), normal if selected and valid, red if selected and invalid

EDIT: preview. decided to change color of the text instead in the end
View attachment Record_F95Checker_20221023205937.mp4

Last edited:
Reactions: aappje

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
if you sort on the installed column you get all of the cleared boxes in top, given the correct sort order... with only two states it can't do anything else... that is, when the box gets cleared due to an update.
Yeah, but games with updates aren't grouped together, they're mixed in randomly (well, not really, but effectively) among all the unchecked games. Which is a PITA for those of us tracking a lot of games.

To a certain extent there were always three Installed states (installed, installed with update, not installed) and now that's being reflected in the behaviour of the field.

aappje

Sep 30, 2017
im implementing this rn, what i think ill do is make it always possible to select an exe and click the play button, then change the border of the play button accordingly to the status of the exe: dark if not selected (can still click to select and play), normal if selected and valid, red if selected and invalid

EDIT: preview. decided to change color of the text instead in the end
View attachment 2119317

This is fing awsome! Well done my dude, and thank you!

lewdypie

Feb 13, 2021
Its shown in the second vid but ill explain it to be sure. The triple state checkbox should be fairly intuitive:
- if its off, a click will make it on
- if its on, a click will make it off
- if its half (installed but outdated), a click will make it on (mark as up to date, make the update marker go away)
I LOVE IT!
With that you can see with one glance if a game is installed vs installed with update available.

For those of us who really want to have this distinction, it looks perfect.
For those who don't care about the distinction, well, it still reflects the installed status anyway, even if you don't care for the "outdated" distinction.

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes