Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

lewdypie

Feb 13, 2021
Just stumbled over this project today. Thanks very much WillyJL!
This is almost exactly what I've been looking for to keep track of games on linux.

I just have one feature request which would fit my use-cases even better: Allow the Last Played field to be edited. Actually adding a button in the context menu with "Set last played to today" or something like that would be enough.
Currently I manually set a last played dated in the Notes field, which isn't really ideal....

Edit:
I guess for now I just set dummy executable so I can hit the play button to set the LastPlayed field :p

Last edited:
Reactions: WillyJL

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
Either I'm not seeing how to do it, or it just straight up ain't possible.

I'm trying to filter out completed games I played vs those I've not yet played...
in other words, removing the played completed games except those not completed (regardles of status) AND except the completed NOT YET played.

Since every order of adding the filters and combination of invert yields the same result, I'm guessing it can't be done (yet?)

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
sorry for the late responses, im still away from home and uni is coming up, and also the last week i was working on a side project that is now mostly finished and in a final state, just gonna plug that in case it might come in useful for stabilizing smut too xD
its a web app for stabilizing and smoothening shaky video footage right inside the browser, fully clientside so no data is sent anywhere, and also means no queues or restrictions. available here and code is available here for those interested

found a bug
*me ripping my hair on how this happens*
I'm getting the same thing.
probably a silly list index went wrong somewhere. added to tracker and will look into it

View attachment 2014129
Getting this error, tried the latest version, tried the version before that.
Any fixes on this? (Running macOS 12.5 Monterey)
known issue on macos, still not sure what causes it (well i know the cause but not the reason), progress (which is currently stuck) is being tracked here

I just have one feature request which would fit my use-cases even better: Allow the Last Played field to be edited. Actually adding a button in the context menu with "Set last played to today" or something like that would be enough.
Currently I manually set a last played dated in the Notes field, which isn't really ideal....

Edit:
I guess for now I just set dummy executable so I can hit the play button to set the LastPlayed field :p
will consider this, but its very low priority. yes that is the ideal workaround for now :D

Either I'm not seeing how to do it, or it just straight up ain't possible.

I'm trying to filter out completed games I played vs those I've not yet played...
in other words, removing the played completed games except those not completed (regardles of status) AND except the completed NOT YET played.

Since every order of adding the filters and combination of invert yields the same result, I'm guessing it can't be done (yet?)
ill need to sit down and play around with it to understand exactly what you mean (not that you explained badly, just that its a complex filter setup xD) but yeah that seems complex enough that the current filter system might not be able to do that... not sure yet if ill add it in since that would require a substantial rework but we'll see, im not crossing anything out

been like this for 3 days, some games get updated, but I dont think all of them are
that message only relates to update checking for the tool itself. the issue is likely that github has for some strange reason blacklisted your ip / provider / whatever else and is therefore giving garbage responses. if thats the only error message youre getting, then the games themselves are all being checked successfully. id suggest maybe trying with a vpn, or refreshing less often to get unblacklisted from github. also restarting your router might get you a new ip, so that might do it.

@WillyJL Love the new version. Good job.

You may have a few bugs to squash, but consider the size of the program now. Would almost be weird if there were none.
All the necessary + more works flawlessly it seems. The updates of all my games are consistent with what I've seen on mobile while I've been away.
<3

Reactions: forgetmaster

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Ran into a small confusing thing with column names versus filterable items.
In the column header context menu, the cloud icon is named "Installed" but when you select the filter option "Installed" it filters on the state of the "play button" rather than on the state of the "installed" checkbox, which is a bit confusing
Huh, I must have gotten them mixed up lol
FaceCrap actually no they work just fine for me...
1662126257500.png
1662126330260.png
and the icons are correctly matched everywhere i checked... installed has always been the cloud icon with the download arrow, and played has always been the finish flag... send a screenshot if im missing something...

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
FaceCrap actually no they work just fine for me...
and the icons are correctly matched everywhere i checked... installed has always been the cloud icon with the download arrow, and played has always been the finish flag... send a screenshot if im missing something...
Hmmm, that's not what I'm seeing... note I only see this with the "Installed" filter, The "Played" filter (Finish Flag icon) works like I expect and like you showed.

this is what I see with the "Installed" filter (normal vs inverted). What I get is an enabled vs disabled play icon regardless of the state of the "Installed" checkbox. Since the column header context menu lists the cloud icon with the downward arrow as "Installed", I would have expected a different result...
Installed.png Installed-Inverted.png

If I filter on "Played" I get almost the same result as in the first screenshot (Installed) with the exception that the two from the installed inverted view are now also included amongst the ones that are not installed... which I would have expected to be included in the top part of the installed view if it weren't for the fact the play button for those two are disabled...
Played.png

And this then is why I mentioned before that the play button now shows the complete opposite behavior from what it used to do in 8.5. On the "Installed" view they show as enabled even though those games aren't installed (the fact they show a "last version played" vs "current version released" may mean there used to be a version installed but that is no guarantee that's still the case... for me it isn't at any rate since I always remove/uninstall a release after playing (after backing up saves, even though a copy would still exist in the appdata folder struct). Might be a better solution to link the state of the play button to whether or not an exe is set or not and if set if it still exists? That would be the only way to know for sure whether or not a version of the game is still installed.

Last edited:

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Hmmm, that's not what I'm seeing... note I only see this with the "Installed" filter, The "Played" filter (Finish Flag icon) works like I expect and like you showed.

this is what I see with the "Installed" filter (normal vs inverted)
View attachment 2021199 View attachment 2021200

If I filter on "Played" I get almost the same result as in the first screenshot (Installed) with the exception that the two from the installed inverted view also are included...
View attachment 2021205

And this then is why I mentioned before that the play button now shows the complete opposite behavior from what it used to do in 8.5. On the "Installed" view they show as enabled even though those games aren't installed (the fact they show a "last version played" vs "current version released" may mean there used to be a version installed but that is no guarantee that's still the case... for me it isn't at any rate since I always remove/uninstall a release after playing (after backing up saves, even though a copy would still exist in the appdata folder struct). Granted, there's no sure way of telling whether or not the game is still installed, other than actively checking if an exe is set and if that exe is still present... (might be a better solution to link the state of the play button to whether or not an exe is set or not and if set if it still exists?)
note the "include outdated" flag. since 9.0 "installed" is no longer a yes/no. "installed" is the version you last explicitly marked as installed. the checkbox shows only if the installed version matches the latest version, otherwise the checkbox is blank BUT next to the name you see "[installed icon] installed version | [latest icon] latest version". from what i can see from those screenshots A LOT of your games are marked as installed, just not on the latest version. to mark them as not installed at all, just simply toggle the "installed" checkbox on and then toggle it off. it is working as expected, just a small misunderstanding and a difference that might be difficult to adjust to since the jump to 9.0 :D also make sure to check out the FAQ about this

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
note the "include outdated" flag. since 9.0 "installed" is no longer a yes/no. "installed" is the version you last explicitly marked as installed. the checkbox shows only if the installed version matches the latest version, otherwise the checkbox is blank BUT next to the name you see "[installed icon] installed version | [latest icon] latest version". from what i can see from those screenshots A LOT of your games are marked as installed, just not on the latest version. to mark them as not installed at all, just simply toggle the "installed" checkbox on and then toggle it off. it is working as expected, just a small misunderstanding and a difference that might be difficult to adjust to since the jump to 9.0 :D also make sure to check out the FAQ about this
I guess the confusion, if you can call it that, since it's more a major behavior change, could have been prevented by not naming the cloud icon "Installed" in the column context menu but "Downloaded" (At least downloaded vs installed are not inherently the same thing), since that is what it now actually refers to going by your explanation. Still, like I said, the "Installed" filter, and consequently the state of the play icon, would give a far more realistic view if it was linked to whether or not an exe was set and still present... but that's just my opinion.

You also state that a lot of my games are marked as "Installed" but not on the latest version... that is just it, the ones with the, for lack of better wording, Cloud icon checkbox cleared are NOT/NO LONGER installed... once I tick the "Played" checkbox, the game gets removed from my system...

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I guess the confusion, if you can call it that, since it's more a major behavior change, could have been prevented by not naming the cloud icon "Installed" in the column context menu but "Downloaded", since that is what it now actually refers to going by your explanation. Still, like I said, the "Installed" filter would give a far more realistic view if it was link to whether or not an exe was set and still present... but that's just my opinion.
i use those two terms "installed" and "downloaded" interchangably because adding an executable is an entirely optional step in using this tool, so i didnt want to tie it to that but make it more general and be a simple marker for if you have the game on your system or not.

You also state that a lot of my games are marked as "Installed" but not on the latest version... that is just it, the ones with the, for lack of better wording, Cloud icon checkbox cleared are NOT/NO LONGER installed... once I tick the "Played" checkbox, the game gets removed from my system...
they may not be on your system anymore, but the tool doesnt know that if you dont tell it. the played checkbox is entirely unrelated to the installed status. and for one reason or another, probably since the import from the last version, all those games are marked as installed on some version that in most cases is not the latest. if you dont tell it that its actually not installed at all, it will keep thinking that it is installed. thats why i suggested
to mark them as not installed at all, just simply toggle the "installed" checkbox on and then toggle it off
once you dont see the cloud icon and the shooting star icons with the separate versions next to the name, and the installed checkbox is blank, then it is marked as not installed.

if your use case is "download update, play it, remove it" then the installed checkbox is not meant for you at all. in that situation i personally would reset all installed values (as i said above by ticking the box on and off again), hide the installed checkbox column, and just use the played box:
- update comes, therefore played checkbox is automatically unticked for you
- download update, play it, remove it (all without touching any checkbox)
- now mark as played and wait until next update

im sorry for the confusion and trouble, it is not in my intention. i just try to make something that will work as easy as possible for most people, but i cant possibly tailor it to each individual use case D:

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
if your use case is "download update, play it, remove it" then the installed checkbox is not meant for you at all. in that situation i personally would reset all installed values (as i said above by ticking the box on and off again), hide the installed checkbox column, and just use the played box:
- update comes, therefore played checkbox is automatically unticked for you
- download update, play it, remove it (all without touching any checkbox)
- now mark as played and wait until next update
That was what I was thinking, but I use that checkbox to distinguish between downloaded/not downloaded (cloud icon) of the non-played (Finish flag) games. So that's not an ideal solution either for me...

i use those two terms "installed" and "downloaded" interchangably because adding an executable is an entirely optional step in using this tool, so i didnt want to tie it to that but make it more general and be a simple marker for if you have the game on your system or not.
In my case since the play button doesn't have any actual use since it's always enabled, apart from those two games (one of which resulting from an accidental click on the cloud checkbox), I opted to hide that column... I only made it visible again after using the Installed filter (being set on the wrong foot by the column context menu) and noticed it didn't produce the expected result.

If it weren't for the fact I have no idea if installing Python 3.10.x over 3.9.5 instead of a separate folder will cause problems, otherwise I'd install the source version and try my luck in adding an exe check to the play button and have the Installed filter look at the cloud icon colum. But since I still use a modified 8.5 for different F95 checks that don't fit in with the regular games checks, I can't install two Python versions. Believe me, I tried but kept running into issues with other python based tools...

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
and have the Installed filter look at the cloud icon colum
Which you can already do. As I mentioned before, the “installed” filter has a “include outdated” option, which when disabled will make it so the filter only considers the up to date installed games, aka the ones with the installed (cloud icon) checkbox column shown as ticked.

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
Is it possible to have 2 timers?
One for normal refresh (bg refresh already included)
another for Only Notifs (as provided by right clicking the refresh button)

aappje

Sep 30, 2017
I have an improvement idea, can the rows or text get an other color if there is no valid .exe selected for the row?

This is a problem I'm having only because from the beginning I haven't been selecting the .exe because of my folder structure, but I think it can be useful to others too if you move files around or change the setup.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I was wondering if it's possible to mark a game as something you're keeping an eye on? If not I'd enjoy that feature.

Similar to how for TV Shows or whatever, you have "Completed, Watching, To-Watch, Dropped" options. Currently I only add links for games I have played in order to keep track of those updates, but I'd love to be able to add the links of games I'm keeping an eye on, or will play in the future. Hell, I'd be fine with the ability to have several lists where I can manually move the games to a completed, playing, to-play, dropped list etc.
Planned as a custom tag system

Reactions: FaceCrap and Escape

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I have an improvement idea, can the rows or text get an other color if there is no valid .exe selected for the row?

This is a problem I'm having only because from the beginning I haven't been selecting the .exe because of my folder structure, but I think it can be useful to others too if you move files around or change the setup.
Valid as in, it exists? Hm maybe, I might instead add a column that will say yes, no or invalid (or something equivalent with different words)

Reactions: aappje

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
speaking of timer, can you add a little clock on when's the last time a refresh has been made?
1662602392628.png
there are some events that would prevent knowing if a refresh has been made so at least having a rough idea of the last one would be good

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
speaking of timer, can you add a little clock on when's the last time a refresh has been made?
View attachment 2031287
there are some events that would prevent knowing if a refresh has been made so at least having a rough idea of the last one would be good
That’s actually a very good idea, helps people with big lists like you and also helps with strain on the servers

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
I encountered a minor bug with 9.3.1 when refreshing. The thread for a game I was tracking was hidden/removed and I got a warning & removal prompt, but additionally it caused:
  1. A false update notification for another game. The game was last updated on the 8th, and I had definitely refreshed since then.
  2. No update notifications for games that had actually been updated.
At first I didn't remove the entry for the game, but I later did so unfortunately I can't provide any more details. I looked for an error log or something but log.txt was empty and I didn't see any other log files.

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 21 Votes