Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

ShinyDarkRai

Game Developer
Apr 27, 2021
I am a little bit knowledgeable in API business and also worked on android apps a little bit. What do you guys say? Should I make an f95zone checker for mobile?

Reactions: WillyJL

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I am a little bit knowledgeable in API business and also worked on android apps a little bit. What do you guys say? Should I make an f95zone checker for mobile?
sadly no proper f95zone api yet, youll have to scrape and parse the threads manually for the most part, but i have all my code opensource so feel free to take inspiration!

ArchX

Mar 31, 2018
Recently a game got deleted (or the thread private for some reason) from F95 and it was on my list. The app said that I have no access to it or removed and I can delete it or keep it on my list. I decided to keep it if It's come back. About a week later I noticed that there is no update notification (or other) any of my listed games. The problem was that I kept the game on the list and that way it skipped the updates. It does not matter if it's automatic on start or manual.

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
At first I was joking but if you're looking for opinion, yes I'd be interested in mobile f95 checker

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
Recently a game got deleted (or the thread private for some reason) from F95 and it was on my list. The app said that I have no access to it or removed and I can delete it or keep it on my list. I decided to keep it if It's come back. About a week later I noticed that there is no update notification (or other) any of my listed games. The problem was that I kept the game on the list and that way it skipped the updates. It does not matter if it's automatic on start or manual.
Something similar happened to me as well.

WillyJL has more important things to deal with for the moment, I'm sure the issue will be resolved in good time...

gevira2314

Jul 19, 2020
Happy UniDay, WillyJL.
I use vpn for F95. But it dose not work with F95 Checker. My vpn is global mode, and i start it before Checker. But still, a connection to F95ZONE failed. I have set wokers-1&timeout-120s. But still no luck. And by the way, when i clicked the links for github,f95 and donation on the right bottom, nothing happened. So i think i might miss something vital for function, but no idea what.
Here is the detail log.
2022-10-11_102524.jpg

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
A couple minor ssues...

1) I can't figure out how to remove a filter without getting an error or initiating a search of F95. Pressing Enter with the filter in place results in a search of F95. Completely deleting whatever was typed results in a seemingly arbitrary filter being applied. Pressing Enter when the filter field is empty results in an error:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
FWIW, my personal preference would be that pressing Esc would clear the field and return to an unfiltered state.

2) If games are sorted by the Notes field and something is typed in that field, the game's sort location may be automatically adjusted. Nothing wrong with that, but depending on the circumstances it can be moved "off screen" in which case the field loses focus, and anything further that is typed ends up in the search/filter field.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Suggestion: Add a function which turns on/off alerts not for game updates
what i could add is a toggle to not check notifications (alerts and inbox)

I encountered a minor bug with 9.3.1 when refreshing. The thread for a game I was tracking was hidden/removed and I got a warning & removal prompt, but additionally it caused:
  1. A false update notification for another game. The game was last updated on the 8th, and I had definitely refreshed since then.
  2. No update notifications for games that had actually been updated.
At first I didn't remove the entry for the game, but I later did so unfortunately I can't provide any more details. I looked for an error log or something but log.txt was empty and I didn't see any other log files.
yeah, a missing game thread is counted as a refresh error, and therefore interrupts the refresh process, so games after that one will not be checked, and the refresh order is mostly arbitrary (id say random but it isnt, its just not a logical order to us) so you also dont know whyat was checked or not. ill try to improve on these kinds of errors, maybe continue checking and show a summary of games that failed to be checked at the end of the refresh.
as for the false notification, well im not sure. the notification will show ALWAYS and ONLY when either:
the exact game name string is different - could even be an added space or different capitalization
the exact version number string changes - same as above
the status changes - normal to abandoned, on hold to completed, and so on...
if you got the notification there was a reason for it, and the update popup shows the detail that was changed to cause the update notification.

Hi, WillyJL

Can you add a folder Option to Group games in one?

For example - my f95 game collection
View attachment 2046591

So it's easy to play what type of game you are in the mood for that day.

Kind regards.
planned as a custom tag system

mentioned it above. currently a check error will always cause the refresh to fail, and therefore stops checking other games. so yeah its normal that you didnt get other update notifications, but also not ideal. ill work on it

Happy UniDay, WillyJL.
I use vpn for F95. But it dose not work with F95 Checker. My vpn is global mode, and i start it before Checker. But still, a connection to F95ZONE failed. I have set wokers-1&timeout-120s. But still no luck. And by the way, when i clicked the links for github,f95 and donation on the right bottom, nothing happened. So i think i might miss something vital for function, but no idea what.
Here is the detail log.
View attachment 2094480
hm ok well, those error messages arent really useful since the important bit here is represented by ?????????, indicating that your system language is not english and the interface cant display those characters. most i can do is suggest the usual: maybe its antivirus, maybe its firewall, could be anything.

A couple minor ssues...

1) I can't figure out how to remove a filter without getting an error or initiating a search of F95. Pressing Enter with the filter in place results in a search of F95. Completely deleting whatever was typed results in a seemingly arbitrary filter being applied. Pressing Enter when the filter field is empty results in an error:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
FWIW, my personal preference would be that pressing Esc would clear the field and return to an unfiltered state.

2) If games are sorted by the Notes field and something is typed in that field, the game's sort location may be automatically adjusted. Nothing wrong with that, but depending on the circumstances it can be moved "off screen" in which case the field loses focus, and anything further that is typed ends up in the search/filter field.
known issue. there was a bug in pyimgui where deleting didnt actually delete, but replace with null characters, so it would be filtering by null characters, which makes no sense. fixed in the beta builds, havent gotten around to make a proper release yet

hm yeah, sorting by notes and editing them does pose an interesting problem... will have to think about what could be done...

lewdypie

Feb 13, 2021
It's currently kind of hard to see which games have an update available. How about making a colorful icon for that? Or maybe instead of unchecking the installed checkbox, make that one another color or symbol?
Alternately an additional column would be nice as well, so we could sort/filter for games that have an update available.

PS:
Really looking forward to the custom tags!

• Thinking Face
Reactions: baloneysammich

xtraax

Mar 9, 2020
Hey that's funny, I made a software for myself as a personal project that is basically some kind of GOG library/launcher, allowing me to launch and manage my games from any platform from the same place. For F95 games I'm also sending requests like you do to check if there is a new version online by catching a URL redirect, but that's about it. It put a smile on my face to see that we used the same technique :LOL:

I stumbled across one of your comments and saw your tool in your signature, very well done, features wise and looks wise. I will use your tool and get some ideas for my own soft at the same time :giggle:

Keep it up, that's a good thing you're doing for the community. Have a nice day !

Last edited:
  • Red Heart

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
It's currently kind of hard to see which games have an update available. How about making a colorful icon for that? Or maybe instead of unchecking the installed checkbox, make that one another color or symbol?
Alternately an additional column would be nice as well, so we could sort/filter for games that have an update available.
dont really like that idea, i find its fine like it is now. you could try sorting by the installed checkbox? ill remind you that theres multisort so you can sort by that and also add a secodnary and maybe tertiary sort option! check the FAQ for that

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Just released 9.4 since it had many very needed changes and fixes that were left hanging since i got lost in other stuff. Still many planned features and fixes that havent made their way into this update, those will come sooner or later

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
dont really like that idea, i find its fine like it is now. you could try sorting by the installed checkbox? ill remind you that theres multisort so you can sort by that and also add a secodnary and maybe tertiary sort option! check the FAQ for that
The problem is that when an update is found the Installed checkbox is auto-unchecked, so sorting is of no use in this case. This is really only a concern to me because I have interface scaling at 1.5 and the update available icons/text can get lost in the noise and in some cases pushed beyond the field. And it's not even a big concern, but here's a few possibilities that have come to mind:
  1. Add a way of filtering games with updates as part of the concept. So if an update is found when the Installed checkbox is checked, the program automatically applies an "Update Available" label or whatever in addition to unchecking it. And of course once the user checks the box again the label would be auto-removed.
  2. Put a shooting star icon before the game name, assuming it wouldn't interfere with sort by name.
  3. Change the color and/or style of the text after the game name when there's an update available so that it stands out.
  4. Assuming the Installed checkbox is bool behind the scenes, maybe it could be changed to int or something so it could have three states: 0 for false/unchecked, 1 for true/checked, and 2 which is set exclusively by the program if an update is found when it had been set to 1. This would presumably allow games with updates available to be grouped separately when sorting by Installed.
#1 seems like a pretty natural use of labels IMO.

Of course, the best solution for me would be to stop downloading games before I'm ready to play them, because I also use the field to indicate I've merely downloaded a game. :poop:

Edit: 3-4 are largely the same as suggestions from lewdypie. Probably should have read his full post earlier. :FacePalm:

Last edited:

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
saw there's an update available. That means you had some free time from studies, right? glad to see you're available

While running the update, noticed there could be a counter (like 1/5, 2/5 etc.) for the installation. I felt like it took a long time and there's a lot of progress bar that reset or even go in reverse (nice feature tho)

Having a general idea of how many progress bar will have to fill could be a nice feature to add 1666416961029.png

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
saw there's an update available. That means you had some free time from studies, right? glad to see you're available

While running the update, noticed there could be a counter (like 1/5, 2/5 etc.) for the installation. I felt like it took a long time and there's a lot of progress bar that reset or even go in reverse (nice feature tho)

Having a general idea of how many progress bar will have to fill could be a nice feature to add View attachment 2115920
Sure that’s a good idea and very simple to add. It’s only download, extract, and then the countdown to the app restarting, but sure I’ll add 1/3 and so on. Will only be visible after the next update though, since when updating to 9.5 you’ll still be using 9.4 to update

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Assuming the Installed checkbox is bool behind the scenes, maybe it could be changed to int or something so it could have three states: 0 for false/unchecked, 1 for true/checked, and 2 which is set exclusively by the program if an update is found when it had been set to 1. This would presumably allow games with updates available to be grouped separately when sorting by Installed.
Played checkbox is bool, installed checkbox is str. it remember what version number you marked as installed, and the checkbox will be ticked as long as the installed field is equal to the current version string

1. Add a way of filtering games with updates as part of the concept. So if an update is found when the Installed checkbox is checked, the program automatically applies an "Update Available" label or whatever in addition to unchecking it. And of course once the user checks the box again the label would be auto-removed.
  2. Put a shooting star icon before the game name, assuming it wouldn't interfere with sort by name.
  3. Change the color and/or style of the text after the game name when there's an update available so that it stands out.
2 and 3 seem the most reasonable to me, I’ll work something out. 1 would make sense, but I’d prefer to keep labels as purely user managed

Edit: 3-4 are largely the same as suggestions from @lewdypie. Probably should have read his full post earlier. :FacePalm:
Just realized that too lol, seems like I skimmed over the first part and focused on the adding a column part, which I think is excessive. I’ll probably either add an icon before the name, or make the color of the version text customizable, or both. We’ll see

Reactions: baloneysammich
5.00 star(s) 21 Votes