Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
Another small bug... seems to be tied to having the played/installed checkboxes ticked or not.
I got a notification that "Deadlocked in Time" had been updated from 0.50 to 0.60 but the entry only showed the new version number, the old version number was missing (so were the icons normally showing next to old/new version number). I still had the game marked as not played/not installed so did some fiddling with the DB (reverting the entry to the old version and having it marked as played/installed) and refreshing again, and then it did show the old and new version...so it seems like the old/new version logic is tied to having the game marked as played/installed. I thought I noticed this before but wasn't sure...

Another weird thing... the "Play" icon gets highlighted for every updated game where old and new version get shown.... seems a bit illogical, would expect it to be highlighted only when installed is ticked
1660243487460.png

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Another small bug... seems to be tied to having the played/installed checkboxes ticked or not.
I got a notification that "Deadlocked in Time" had been updated from 0.50 to 0.60 but the entry only showed the new version number, the old version number was missing (so were the icons normally showing next to old/new version number). I still had the game marked as not played/not installed so did some fiddling with the DB (reverting the entry to the old version and having it marked as played/installed) and refreshing again, and then it did show the old and new version...so it seems like the old/new version logic is tied to having the game marked as played/installed. I thought I noticed this before but wasn't sure...
thats intended behavior, its installed and latest version, not old and new version :D

Another weird thing... the "Play" icon gets highlighted for every updated game where old and new version get shown.... seems a bit illogical, would expect it to be highlighted only when installed is ticked
same as above mostly, it is tied to the game being marked as installed. in the past you marked it a installed and now the latest version is not installed (so the checkmark is empty) but *some* version is installed (so play button is clickable and both version text's show)

PS: just noticed you forum sig, thanks :D

Danv

Aug 21, 2020
Danv again not sure what to tell you mate, i changed nothing and as you said you updated manually so it wasnt anything i did. what i can say is that seems typical and retarded antivirus behavior, what av are you using? did you try turning it off, adding this to exclusions etc...? what version and edition of windows are you on precisely? and lastly is there a specific reason you need windows or are you willing to give linux a shot? my life has significantly been easier since i switched ill tell you that.
about game update thing - i was reporting it while still on 9.3 comparing to as it worked on 8.5, didn't have a chance to test any <9.3 or 9.3.1 due to my error, maybe some things changed in 9.x in general? also i assume freshly added game =/= refreshing game already in db? i mean - at least i'm not alone with a problem, so assume it's not just on my end this time

about error - i didn't even had time to update, i just restarted 9.3 while 9.3.1 was still downloading (to check game refreshing thing one last time while writing that post) and after restart - error is back, installed 9.3.1 - still error (although i think as soon it starts to fail - whole 9.x stops working for me), nothing else changed - it was working and refreshing literally moments before that and i restarted app day before without problems, even if before i could blame it on auto update - this time i'm really lost on what could be a problem
my OS - Win10 Pro (not sure what build) with blocked updates (for consistency, never know what MS decide to patch in or out)
for AV i'm using free version of Kaspersky (Security Cloud or something) for years now, it usually either kill bad stuff outright or don't get involved at all, and if it do anything - there is always mark in its log, tried disabling whole thing just in case - no changes
and yeah - *nix not really an option for me, too many games and soft i'm using are win only and honestly - i'm just too old to get used to new OS

• Sad
Reactions: WillyJL

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
thats intended behavior, its installed and latest version, not old and new version :D
Awww, that's too bad, there's a fair number of games which have a relative high update frequency with minimal content per update, so I tend to skip a few updates. I would have preferred to have it always show old vs new version, because if I skip an update, it would report an incorrect *installed* version if I mark the skipped update or no installed version if I don't mark..

I would therefor like to propose a *mix*. If the *installed* box is NOT marked, keep the last known *installed* version and only change the latest version...

e.g. Grandma's House recently got an update from 0.10 to 0.11 and was marked as installed, so when the update got detected, it showed both version numbers and installed box got cleared. Now let's say I skip this update and leave the installed box cleared and wait until say 0.13 gets released.
On the next update it would then keep showing 0.10 as *installed* and 0.12 as latest right until 0.13 gets released and shown as *latest* and I decide to download.
That way the *installed* version vs latest would always show the actual situation and not an assumed one (because to have the *installed* version shown I would need to mark it as installed even when I skip that update, causing the wrong *installed* version getting shown on the next update)

As for the "Play" button, since I can now opt to not have it shown it's no big deal, I never used it before, just obeserved it now acting the complete opposite. I've got used to completely removing a game after playing since almost none provide update patches from previous to latest, forcing you to redownload the whole thing anyways... so saw no point in keeping played games installed

PS: just noticed you forum sig, thanks :D
You're welcome ;)

Last edited:

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Awww, that's too bad, there's a fair number of games which have a relative high update frequency with minimal content per update, so I tend to skip a few updates. I would have preferred to have it always show old vs new version, because if I skip an update, it would report an incorrect *installed* version if I mark the skipped update or no installed version if I don't mark..

I would therefor like to propose a *mix*. If the *installed* box is NOT marked, keep the last known *installed* version and only change the latest version...

e.g. Grandma's House recently got an update from 0.10 to 0.11 and was marked as installed, so when the update got detected, it showed both version numbers and installed box got cleared. Now let's say I skip this update and leave the installed box cleared and wait until say 0.13 gets released.
On the next update it would then keep showing 0.10 as *installed* and 0.12 as latest right until 0.13 gets released and shown as *latest* and I decide to download.
That way the *installed* version vs latest would always show the actual situation and not an assumed one (because to have the *installed* version shown I would need to mark it as installed even when I skip that update, causing the wrong *installed* version getting shown on the next update)
That’s... how it works... xD
When you click the installed checkbox it will save the latest version as installed. There could be 1000 updates in between, but it will keep remembering the version you marked as installed and show that alongside the latest one. As soon as you click the checkbox again it will update the installed version to the latest one.

Btw as a rule of thumb I never try to assume things, I’ll follow what the user tells the program

Last edited:
Reactions: FaceCrap

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
GAB could you try the latest build? i split up the media types, let me know what you think. also i suggest you backup your db.sqlite3 just in case, i made other breaking changes on the backend and while they worked perfectly for me i havent tested extensively yet

also estrada777 same for you but because i added an rpc toggle. i will still look more into actually fixing it though

EDIT: looks like the build is having some problems... ugh

Last edited:

estrada777

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020
GAB could you try the latest build? i split up the media types, let me know what you think. also i suggest you backup your db.sqlite3 just in case, i made other breaking changes on the backend and while they worked perfectly for me i havent tested extensively yet

also estrada777 same for you but because i added an rpc toggle. i will still look more into actually fixing it though

EDIT: looks like the build is having some problems... ugh
Not gonna upgrade then :)

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
@GAB could you try the latest build? i split up the media types, let me know what you think. also i suggest you backup your db.sqlite3 just in case, i made other breaking changes on the backend and while they worked perfectly for me i havent tested extensively yet
I'd love to try but only export i know is the official one (manage - export - thread links) and db.sqlite3 doesn't seem to be in the f95checker folder. I know the export doesn't include notes or checkmark if completed or downloaded.

Since my list is very large, I'll wait to test the latest until I receive instructions how to backup

Iron-Beagle

Jul 13, 2017
I'd love to try but only export i know is the official one (manage - export - thread links) and db.sqlite3 doesn't seem to be in the f95checker folder. I know the export doesn't include notes or checkmark if completed or downloaded.

Since my list is very large, I'll wait to test the latest until I receive instructions how to backup
db.sqlite3 is located in %AppData%\f95checker

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
it took 5x longer to update and ended up with this
1660374235983.png
I pondered way too long wondering wtf got updated when I saw the update window :LOL:
tl;dr no complaint. Worked safe like last time.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Need some feedback.
I’m thinking about the custom tags feature and how it could be implemented. I was thinking about a small popup window where you can manage the tags, each tag has name and color. Each game can have as many custom tags as you want, you can filter by those tags and also in list and grid view there will be a small colored dot near the name or something like that for each tag. Somewhat similar to the tags for files on macOS is you will, but each game can have more than one tag. Of course the full info popup will have a new tab for the custom tags where they are displayed with their names too and you can manage them from there too. Also you can manage them from the right click menu.

Reactions: WakamoSato

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Request: Improve bug that shows developper name as unknown
it currently fails if it's in bold and was wondering what it takes to fix this. Either fix it from the app or from the forum
1659811277656.png
1659811277656.png

1659811261026.png
so, very good news. ive made a nice discovery that will help drastically with this. parsing the thread as plain text but putting each element's text on its own line makes it trivial to parse it! tested on my list, nothing improved or worsened because none of the games in my list had parsing issues, but im now stress testing with your list (great testing material btw xD) and i see many improvements and 0 regressions. what is affected by this parsing change is version, last update time and developer. versions and last update times had no impact, literally all games had them equal with the old and new parsing method. developers however were detected a lot better, only 2 problematic ones were "brain damaged" where the developer isnt mentioned so it grabbed the next line ("censored") as the developer name, and "studio oppai collection" where the developer text is a link. so to be fair both of those are not an issue with the tool but the thread, and also is still an improvement over not being detected at all. ill see if i can apply something similar to changelog and overview too, then report back when i have updates / a build for you to try.

EDIT: its not perfect with a list as big as yours, and i cant possibly detect all kinds of broken threads, but its an improvement. ive triggered a new build, again make sure to backup the db. i tried supporting also cases where the whole "developer: asdf" is all in plain text and not bold, but that lead to issues with detecting the wrong stuff inside other parts of the thread like changelogs and similar (remember the detection code is same for version too so i dont want to make it unreliable) so those are still not detected... also had a quick peek at what could be done for changelog and overview to detect them better and im afraid this new parsing method is not be applicable there

Last edited:
Reactions: Iron-Beagle

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Hi Good idea with tags!
I wanted to ask, it is possible to open the folder with game in the update notification?

Just finished adding all my games (330). I want to backup my game list. Where is all the tool data stored in the program itself or somewhere else?
I’ll add more buttons to the update notification, also considering that download link support might be in the works

read the FAQ section in OP :D

Reactions: simple_human

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I hit a new one today, after using the filter box at the bottom and then clearing the filter box, I'm left with nothing displayed. Only way to fix it is to exit and re-start.
View attachment 1984963
It’s an issue with the new text boxes, the unlimited buffer doesn’t clear null bytes caused by deleting characters. Its fixed in upstream pyimgui and in the beta builds

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes