Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
can you retry with that same broken file and check that 9.3 still fucks up with it, and then see if fixes it? (youll need a github account to download the beta build)
and once again Noctie666 i ask that you try with that build

estrada777

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020
estrada777 i once again ask that you try running that command
Sorry, this is the first time I'm noticing that request. It didn't like it even though I disabled my AV and closed everything that would hypothetically be using the network.

netsh int ipv4 add excludedportrange protocol=tcp startport=57095 numberofports=1
The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: WillyJL

ogKimra

Nov 13, 2021
View attachment 1951583

Tired of checking dozens of threads for game updates?
May I introduce you to F95Checker, a tool that keeps you up to speed with updates for your favorite games.

Features:
  • Blazing fast™ and reliable
  • Very easy to setup and use
  • Cross platform (windows, linux, macos)
  • Beautiful and customizable interface
  • Compact list mode and comfy grid view
  • 2FA accounts supported
  • Alert and inbox checker
  • Track what versions you installed and played
  • Launch games straight from the tool
  • Supported game details:
    • Name
    • Version
    • Developer
    • Type (game engine / type of thread)
    • Status (completed / on hold / abandoned)
    • Link to thread
    • Last update date
    • Last played date
    • Date added to library
    • Description / overview
    • Changelog
    • Tags
    • Header images (including gifs)
    • Personal rating (5 stars, not related to forum ratings)
    • Personal notes (textbox you can use however you want)
  • Sorting and filtering by most of above details, with multisort and multifilter support
  • Also supports media (animations, collections...) and normal threads
  • Auto updating (the tool, NOT the games)
  • Background mode (periodically refresh in background and receive desktop notifications)
  • Many ways to add games, including a companion web browser extension

Compatibility:
Built with Python 3.10+ for Windows, Linux and MacOS.

Binaries are available for all 3 platforms, requiring no setup at all. If instead you want to run from source note that Python 3.10+ is required and you'll need to install the requirements with pip (development packages might be needed to compile them).

My daily machine runs Arch Linux but I have both Windows and MacOS virtual machines. I always try my best to test the updates on all platforms before release and to help you when things go wrong, but I can only do so much and with some obscure errors I might not be able to help you.

Installation:
  • Windows: Extract and run F95Checker.exe
  • Linux: Extract and run F95Checker
  • MacOS: Extract, right click F95Checker.app, select "Open" in the menu and click "Open" in the next popup *
  • Source: Make sure you have Python 3.10+, install requirements with pip3 install -U -r requirements.txt and run with python3 main.py (this file is marked executable and has a shebang, you might be able to just double click it!)
* If you get a message saying that the application is damaged and should be moved to the trash you need to: close the popup, open a terminal, navigate to the location of the F95Checker.app, type in xattr -d com.apple.quarantine F95Checker.app and press enter; after this the method above to open the app should work fine.

Download:
Versions after 7.0 are hosted in the , while older versions are archived in the F95Zone thread.

Get the latest release .

Browser extension:
The F95Checker browser addon allows you to easily add games while browsing the forum in 3 ways:
  • Clicking the extension icon while viewing a thread
  • Right clicking a link to a thread
  • Right clicking anywhere on the background of a thread page
The extension is available for both major browser families (for example Brave counts as Chrome, LibreWolf counts as Firefox):
  • Chrome: Install from
  • Firefox: Install from

FAQ:
  • Can you make it download game updates? and Can you make it detect my game folders?

The main reason I decided to make this tool is because all the other alternatives were, in my opinion, too complicated to setup and did way more than what I wanted / needed. Most of this overhead I believe comes from trying to manage your game folders and files on disk, which introduces SO much complexity and room for error. That is what brought me to making my own program, which will NEVER download updates, manage your folders and so on. F95Checker is not a tool that manages your games, it is a tool that helps you manage your games yourself.

• Where is my data stored?

F95Checker stores all it's data at:
    - %APPDATA%\f95checker\ on Windows
    (usually C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\f95checker\)
    - ~/.config/f95checker/ on Linux
    (usually /home/username/.config/f95checker/)
    - ~/Library/Application Support/f95checker/ on MacOS
    (usually /Users/username/Library/Application Support/f95checker/)
    in a file named db.sqlite3, while images are saved in the images folder as thread-id.ext. The imgui.ini file stores some interface preferences, like window size and position, enabled columns and so on. Files named f95checker.json and config.ini are remainders from previous versions (pre v9.0 and pre v7.0 respectively). When opening v9.0+ it will attempt to migrate these old configs to the new database system, once that is done these old files will be ignored.

• How do I customize the interface, the columns and the sorting?

Everything to do with columns and sorting can only be changed from list view but also applies to grid view. Each column has a header bar at the top, you can use those to customize the interface. You can drag the headers around to reorder the columns, you can drag the edge of some select columns to change their width (only works if other variable size columns are enabled). Left clicking on a header will sort the list by that column, holding shift while clicking a header will add a secondary sort (multisort). Right clicking on any header will allow you to enable or disable some columns and also gives you access to manual sort. When manual sort is enabled you can drag games (both in list and grid view) to reorder them. Manual sort remembers the order if you disable and enable it again, but you will not be able to reorder the games if you have any filters enabled.

• How do versions and the played/installed toggles work?

When you add a game to F95Checker it is marked with its latest version. When you check the installed toggle it will remember that you had installed that version. When an update comes to that game and the version number changes, both the played and installed checkboxes will be unchecked. However the tool remembers what version you had installed and will show both of them next to each other (installed is marked with a download icon, latest is marked with a shooting star icon). Checking the installed checkbox will then update the installed version to the latest version, so the version text will again show only the latest one. The played checkbox is completely unrelated so that you can mark a game played without installing the latest version, for example when the update was a simple hotfix and had no new content.

About the speed™:
F95Zone does not yet have a proper API serving the information needed by this tool, so the only way to gather them is by requesting the full game threads like a normal browser would. However this is not practical because it consumes a lot of network and computing resources, takes way too long and puts unnecessary stress on the forum servers. This tool makes a compromise: it makes small HEAD requests to the threads, basically checking if a redirect happens. The URL will usually change when the thread title is changed, and since many titles contain the version numbers, a redirect will often indicate an update and in that case the full thread will be fetched and scanned for all the game details. This is what allows F95Checker to quickly check hundreds of games in a matter of seconds. However this will not detect many other changes, like status and description, so the tool will run periodic full rechecks once a week. When a full recheck happens you will see the status text in the bottom right corner saying "Running x full rechecks".

Planned features tracker:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Milestones:

Old versions:

Disclaimer:
Due to the lack of a proper F95Zone API, this tool needs to grab the threads just like a browser would, and this entails requiring an account to read spoiler content. I know you might be skeptical about inserting your account credentials into some random dude's program, and I totally agree with you if you are, but you can read through the code and you will see that this doesn't do anything harmful. If you still aren't sure you can create a second account just for this program.

Contributing:
Please do! I poured my heart and soul into this tool and hearing suggestions or getting help with the code really helps!

You can help out in many ways, from simply suggesting features or reporting bugs (you can do those in the or on the F95Zone thread), to adding to the codebase (through ) or by posting patches in the F95Zone thread).

Developer note:
This software is licensed under the 3rd revision of the GNU General Public License (GPLv3) and is provided to you for free. Furthermore, due to its license, it is also free as in freedom: you are free to use, study, modify and share this software in whatever way you wish as long as you keep the same license.

However, F95Checker is actively developed by one person only, WillyJL, and not with the aim of profit but out of personal interest and benefit for the whole F95Zone community. Donations are although greatly appreciated and aid the development of this software. You can find donation links .

If you find bugs or have some feedback, don't be afraid to let me know either on GitHub (using issues or pull requests) or on F95Zone (in the thread comments or in direct messages).

Please note that this software is not ( yet ;) ) officially affiliated with the F95Zone platform.

Cool people:
Supporters:
FaceCrap - ascsd - Jarulf - DarkVermilion - And 1 anon

Contributors:
  • : Optimized build workflows and other PRs
  • batblue: MacOS suppport and feedback guy
  • unroot: Linux support and feedback guy
  • ploper26: Suggested HEAD requests for refreshing
  • ascsd: Helped with brainstorming on some issues and gave some tips
  • blackop: Helped fix some login window issues on Linux
Community:
abada25 - AtotehZ - bitogno - d_pedestrian - DarK x Duke - GrammerCop - MillenniumEarl - SmurfyBlue - yohudood - And others that I might be forgetting
Don't you think adding "dropped" or "paused" tags by the users will be great to track their games list?
Also combine 2-3 tags and make a separate tag to filter with just 1 click "like installed and male protagonist"
And filter through notes too?

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Don't you think adding "dropped" or "paused" tags by the users will be great to track their games list?
Also combine 2-3 tags and make a separate tag to filter with just 1 click "like installed and male protagonist"
And filter through notes too?
You can filter by notes with the bottom bar, that will search name, version, developer, notes and maybe something else I’m forgetting

not sure what you mean combine 2-3 tags, the add filter section allows you to have as many filters as you want, you can very easily filter by male protagonist, installed and 2d game at the same time for example

about the custom tags I’ll think about it, someone suggested basically the same thing today on GitHub too

estrada777

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020

I understand that the new method of determining updated or not may be technically more accurate. For me it is creating more churn. I get notified of an update and go to check it out and find out that it wasn't actually an update to the game, but maybe just something in the OP. Sometimes I can't even figure out what was updated. Any way we could opt in to the old method, that worked quite well for me, or is that all gone?

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019

I understand that the new method of determining updated or not may be technically more accurate. For me it is creating more churn. I get notified of an update and go to check it out and find out that it wasn't actually an update to the game, but maybe just something in the OP. Sometimes I can't even figure out what was updated. Any way we could opt in to the old method, that worked quite well for me, or is that all gone?
You mean that it counts as updates even when maybe just some tags were added to the OP? I made it like that because with this update all those new details were tracked so I just made them all count, not hard to only make it count when the version changed

estrada777

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020
You mean that it counts as updates even when maybe just some tags were added to the OP? I made it like that because with this update all those new details were tracked so I just made them all count, not hard to only make it count when the version changed
I don't know about other folks, but the version is the only thing I care about. I don't need a pop up saying the game updated when it was something like a tag.

Reactions: Dukez and WillyJL

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I don't know about other folks, but the version is the only thing I care about. I don't need a pop up saying the game updated when it was something like a tag.
I think I’ll leave it so that it only shows if the status changed (so you know if something was abandoned), the name changed (one recent example could be echoes of lust), and of course the version. This means it will no longer show as updates when the developer, the type and the tags change.

estrada777

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020
I think I’ll leave it so that it only shows if the status changed (so you know if something was abandoned), the name changed (one recent example could be echoes of lust), and of course the version. This means it will no longer show as updates when the developer, the type and the tags change.
Any easy way that you can indicate the thing that changed?

ogKimra

Nov 13, 2021
You can filter by notes with the bottom bar, that will search name, version, developer, notes and maybe something else I’m forgetting

not sure what you mean combine 2-3 tags, the add filter section allows you to have as many filters as you want, you can very easily filter by male protagonist, installed and 2d game at the same time for example

about the custom tags I’ll think about it, someone suggested basically the same thing today on GitHub too
What I think will be very good is the "group by" feature.. where you can use the tab "group by" then select "anything"(like tag/notes/ratings etc) so that the whole list gets divided according to that "anything"..
I saw this feature in notion so wanted to suggest..
With this if I choose to write my status in notes(eg paused playing dropped) then by Grouping I can see all the paused, playing, dropped etc at their own separate space..

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Any easy way that you can indicate the thing that changed?
It currently does that? And will continue to do so? In the popup, under every game, you have the last update date (provided by the OP so this is usually when the version changed) and under that a list of things that changed... that’s why I felt it was ok to count all those other details as changes, because it told you what changed...

EDIT: this is an old screenshot,it looks a little different now, and also this is an extreme example where everything changed, but you can see that it lists all the details that changed...
8AB5AEE4-11BD-4419-BCAD-727BDD4DAD5A.png

EDIT 2: this is how it will be from now on (this is with all details changing, if only the version changed the only the version will show)
1660144125840.png

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: estrada777

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
What I think will be very good is the "group by" feature.. where you can use the tab "group by" then select "anything"(like tag/notes/ratings etc) so that the whole list gets divided according to that "anything"..
I saw this feature in notion so wanted to suggest..
With this if I choose to write my status in notes(eg paused playing dropped) then by Grouping I can see all the paused, playing, dropped etc at their own separate space..
You’re mostly describing something that already exists... to group by you can either use filters or use multi sort... what’s missing is that custom tag you mentioned

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
9.3.1 is out, since I’m still away from home I haven’t yet been able to look into the more obscure bugs like unroot ‘s OpenGL oddity and macOS not finding QtWebEngineProcess, and also haven’t yet gotten to the beefier feature requests, so this is more of a polish and bug fix update, nothing major. Also features auto expanding text buffers so you can now write unlimited notes instead of being restricted to 9999 characters (thanks to the geniuses at pyimgui :D)

London233

Mar 19, 2019
ty for the great update!
especially for the paste function :sneaky:

but there is a bug:
the app closes if i accidentally paste something other than text (image for example)

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
ty for the great update!
especially for the paste function :sneaky:

but there is a bug:
the app closes if i accidentally paste something other than text (image for example)
Ah, good catch... I’ll investigate

London233

Mar 19, 2019
another one:
text/paste value in the search bar;
delete value

ar: the list of games is not updated either automatically or manually

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Hello! Good program! I did not fully understand and wanted to clarify, I have a lot of games downloaded in zip format to save space on my hard drive, if I want to play the game, I unzip it and after I played it, I delete it, saving the zip. let's say I add a game link to the program and pointing the zip file in the "select exe" tab, whether the program will fully work with it (excluding "game start"), check for updates, version, game status, etc. ?
P.S. It would be cool to add an "open folder" column and the possibility to merge games into folders (for example like in discord, different servers can be merge into different folders)

Thank You!
The tool works completely independent of files on disk. The select exe functionality is only in order to click play and to open the folder. Open folder won’t have its own column because you can middle click on the play button to open the folder :D

also interesting concept having them zipped, I feel like clicking play should work though... it should open the archive in 7zip and then from there maybe clicking the exe will extract temporarily...

for the folders there might be something coming up like custom tags, where you can create your own tags and assign each game as many tags as you want and filter by those tags

Iron-Beagle

Jul 13, 2017
Still having issues here auto updating. Attempted to go from 9.3 to 9.3.1 just now. Download happened and was extracted to a folder in %temp% but that was it. I manually copied the new files into my existing folder and manually started the app.

• Sad
5.00 star(s) 21 Votes