Qianke

Apr 27, 2019
tbh this game isn't that far from completion, I mean, probly it's done in 70% at least so it'd be a shame to abandon it now,

Dr Krieger

Jun 28, 2017
tbh this game isn't that far from completion, I mean, probly it's done in 70% at least so it'd be a shame to abandon it now,
I think they will update book 1 after finishing book 4

Also I don't understand the uproar about this 4 month break. This game delivered amazing updates with reasonable delays for a very very long time. They are nothing compared to ICSTOR or god save my soul Dual Family.

Balrog

Jan 10, 2018
I think they will update book 1 after finishing book 4

Also I don't understand the uproar about this 4 month break. This game delivered amazing updates with reasonable delays for a very very long time. They are nothing compared to ICSTOR or god save my soul Dual Family.
The problem with a sudden unplanned 4 month break is that if you don't take care of the issue that caused it, it will become the rule rather than the exception.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: CursedFlame91
D

Deleted member 436513

The problem with a sudden unplanned 4 month break is that if you don't take care of the issue that caused it, it will become the rule rather than the exception.
Thankfully, we're only a year or so away from the project's completion. Give me that Pema/Jinora scene so I can die happy, and the whole thing can burn for all I care.

Qianke

Apr 27, 2019
Thankfully, we're only a year or so away from the project's completion. Give me that Pema/Jinora scene so I can die happy, and the whole thing can burn for all I care.
being here and waiting for that, I think you are already an addict though, you sure you won't ask for more once it happens? C:

Dec 9, 2019
Just gonna say it.

I love this VN trainer game. Love Route for the true, wholesomeness feeling which gives you a good feeling in your heart (and your pants)
The Slave route to be such a scumbag, and get away with it scottfree~

I eagerly look forward to Book 4's Love Route. I need my love wholesomeness with Korra and Asami… And possibly Impregnate them both. :D Yes, my favourite is the Pregnancy - The fact that I can influence and somewhat (redeem) Azula in Book 2 is incredible enough as it is.

I hope that once this Avatar Trainer is fully completed, we can see more work from the creator.

Star Wars will be nice~

Cybuster

Sep 28, 2017
Wasn't sure what term to use, it's probably just control flow. Most of what you have in Ren'Py are labels (which are analogous to game "levels" or Unity scenes) that are on the same conceptual level of depth, nested if/else chains and menus which require you to keep track of how "deep" you currently are, and screens which are mostly used for UI overlays and minigames. Labels are pretty straightforward and naturally lend themselves to a linear A -> B graph/tree/whatever structure you can keep track of, similarly to how you'd have chapters one after the other in a book and a table of contents which you can use as an overview.

The "control flow" aspects of Ren'Py only become a problem if you start mixing the logic and the dialogue, leading you to doing stupid shit like copying and pasting the same ~1700 line long scene into three different locations which you have to maintain separately, or putting them inline (in-block?) with nested layers of logic, i.e.:

Python:
label falley_night2:
    if earth_deal:
        if tax_collector:
            if not tax_done:
                menu:
                    "kill him":
                        menu:
                            "donate the money":
                            "keep the money":
                    "knock him out":
                        menu:
                            "donate the money":
                                if variable >= 20:
                                    if flag == True:
                                        if condition:
                                        else:
                                            menu:
                                                "do it anyways":
                                                    if variable = 1:
                                                        "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit."
                                                        "Suspendisse porttitor arcu aliquet tortor vehicula, ut ultricies magna feugiat."
                                                        "Sed nec nunc non leo varius consequat eget sit amet orci."
                                                        "Curabitur malesuada nunc vitae tortor auctor facilisis."
                                                        $ variable += 2
                                                        "Praesent ut ligula sed augue scelerisque lobortis non dictum dui."
                                                        "Pellentesque nec tellus blandit, vestibulum lacus tincidunt, consectetur nibh."
                                                        "Donec sagittis nisl eu tellus aliquam, et accumsan ante maximus."
                                                        "Etiam aliquet turpis non ipsum consectetur, sit amet lacinia libero hendrerit."
                                                        "Pellentesque id diam at nulla ornare posuere."
                                                        "Sed accumsan tortor non eros pulvinar, sed varius magna eleifend."
                                                        "Donec non leo in elit rhoncus pellentesque."
                                                        "Phasellus in lacus posuere, dictum arcu vel, volutpat ipsum."
                                                        jump bk2_map
Or the fucking clown tier spaghetti code examples FET is known and loved for.

View attachment 483044

Edit: Forgot to add that Ren'Py labels retain the current "state" when you swap them out (everything you've sent to the screen stays on the screen), so you COULD tehnically end up with something analogous to a call stack by doing the following:

Python:
label one:
    scene outside
    jump two

label two:
    show character with dissolve
    jump three

label three:
    play music "maintheme.ogg"
    jump four

label four:
    show othercharacter at left
    jump five

label five:
    c "Dialogue text"
    jump six
Which you wouldn't, because you're not what is known in the industry as "one hundred percent buttfuck insane". FET does suffer a bit from this (incidentally it's why it doesn't have a gallery/scene replay system either), but once again it's a problem you're creating for yourself and something that is still relatively easily fixable compared to debugging thousands of lines of actual logic.
Wait... so there are switch case functions in Ren'py the coder is not using?

Anyway, no coder who is willing to work years for a game like this should ever use Ren'py as their platform. Unless this job is just a hobby. Seriously, use anything else. Build your own abstractions, use SFML or go straight for OpenGL GLUT. The whole idea of OOP is to make tedious work like a game loop more manageable and module, use it!

Cybuster

Sep 28, 2017
The last three thread provides insight and all, but how many of us here are actual paying supporters? I mean, how many patrons have the same sentiment as what was discussed in the last three threads?

Reactions: F1forhalp

Nikushimi

Jun 10, 2018
So, idk if this is a bug or not, but I recently decided to try Book 4, but I'm kind of stuck?

Meelo is missing, but it's night time and I can't go to the city cause the docks are closed. He's nowhere to be found, did I fuck up somewhere?

EDIT: Nvm...that's what happens if you use cheats to get money and paying Lin before you go back to the Island. RIP

Ratnedalu

Jan 11, 2018
There's already a harry potter game. Look up sliver game studios and the witch trainer silver mod. Its a highly rated game with a dedicated staff working on it.
... Which is a mod. Of a really popular Akabur game. Which, for the record, Shady and the MC here are a nod to with the grey robe. There's also Innocent Witches, Wands and Witches (which isn't faithful to the series from an art perspective at all, its art kinda reminds me of Harry Potter meets Bratz.), and one other that got abandoned recently, which is kind of a bummer because i liked it despite the anime style.

Reactions: rekon2 and Genji
D

Deleted member 436513

Wait... so there are switch case functions in Ren'py the coder is not using?

Anyway, no coder who is willing to work years for a game like this should ever use Ren'py as their platform. Unless this job is just a hobby. Seriously, use anything else. Build your own abstractions, use SFML or go straight for OpenGL GLUT. The whole idea of OOP is to make tedious work like a game loop more manageable and module, use it!
AFAIK there aren't - Python doesn't support them due to their "philosophy", Ren'Py doesn't add anything similar, and menus are more like... well, menus. They require explicit interaction, I don't believe there's a way to make them trigger automatically and use them as a sort of ghetto switch-case system. Either way, if there are 52 identical if/else statements in your code you have way bigger problems than whether or not you're using a switch for them.

Don't disagree with you on Ren'Py, it's painful. Even a ready-made VN system for Unity is preferable in many cases.

Reactions: Cybuster
4.50 star(s) 276 Votes