soldano

Jan 29, 2018
Yup! It'll be fairly substantial, with a lot more setup for MC, Nicki, Brent, etc. Plus, an earlier glimpse at Carolina.
Yesterday I played again from the beginning to unlock the scene where you twist Britanni's nipples, and that beginning really needs a revamp. I liked it at the time, but right now it looks very shoddy compared to the rest of the game.

Reactions: NeonGhosts

novaen

Apr 25, 2018
I downloaded the new update but my saves don't go past the previous chapter (ending after the night with ashe) what's up with that?

NeonGhosts

Game Developer
Mar 20, 2019
Yesterday I played again from the beginning to unlock the scene where you twist Britanni's nipples, and that beginning really needs a revamp. I liked it at the time, but right now it looks very shoddy compared to the rest of the game.
I did a couple of playthroughs yesterday, and I'd honestly love to redo the first three chapters, eventually.

Chapter One just needs a comprehensive rework. But with Chapter Two and Three, I was still struggling to figure out how to frame things, use assets, etc. A lot of the expressions are just a bit too broad and crazy, the lighting isn't very good, and a lot of the poses are lacking. I was also over-narrating stuff a lot back then.. Something which I'm still working on.

I think with Chapter Four, where Brittani comes in to model, I basically found my style for the art. I used a lot more locked-off camera positions, as well as mixing in POV shots for conversations, and 'dramatic' shots for big moments. The expressions and poses got more subtle, I started making better use of DForce objects, and on and on.

I think that, once the game is done, I'll likely go back and redo some of the art for Chapters 2/3, and then excise a lot of my redundant narration. But, that's a lonnnnng ways away, and something I consider low priority.

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hmm I don't think I have ever really paid attention to stuff like lighting with these games.
My focus is more on how the mc acts and stuff like that.

Reactions: Wolfeszorn

NeonGhosts

Game Developer
Mar 20, 2019
Hmm I don't think I have ever really paid attention to stuff like lighting with these games.
My focus is more on how the mc acts and stuff like that.
A lot of it's stuff that's not really a huge deal.. But does still bug me. :'D

The low-res bricks and graffiti in this asset, which I could change with a couple shaders..
2A026.jpg

The super unnatural way Guy's sleeping/covered in this image..
2AR045.jpg

Gabby being lit up like the sun here, and the ceiling having two separate textures..
BB017.jpg

A couple of profoundly weird facial expressions..
D2GC004.jpg

Guy's goofy shopping bags..
3n024.png

It's not a ton of stuff, really. I'd probably fully re-render the initial Barron Books scene, and mayyyybe the stuff where you first go to Gabby/Madison's house. Besides that, a lot of it's just tweaks. I still have all the DUF files for these chapters, so I can just reload them, create a set of lights/refined objects, drop them into the scene, save them, and set them up to run via RenderQueue. It'd be a little annoying, but not terrible.

Like I said though, that'll be one of those, "Neon finished the story and now wants to fiddle with things.." updates.

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020

The low-res bricks and graffiti in this asset, which I could change with a couple shaders..
View attachment 3229721

View attachment 3229739

Gabby being lit up like the sun here, and the ceiling having two separate textures..
View attachment 3229756

View attachment 3229766

View attachment 3229783

It's not a ton of stuff, really. I'd probably fully re-render the initial Barron Books scene, and mayyyybe the stuff where you first go to Gabby/Madison's house. Besides that, a lot of it's just tweaks. I still have all the DUF files for these chapters, so I can just reload them, create a set of lights/refined objects, drop them into the scene, save them, and set them up to run via RenderQueue. It'd be a little annoying, but not terrible.

Like I said though, that'll be one of those, "Neon finished the story and now wants to fiddle with things.." updates.
It's the little small details. They make the image and the story. It's already great..but small aesthetic details...would elevate this into truly top tier territory.

soldano

Jan 29, 2018
Chapter 3 doesn't seem so bad to me. In fact, I think there is a lot of improvement compared to 2 and, especially 1. Some of Ashe's expressions in 2 do seem exaggerated to me, but in 7 (I think it's 7. The one at dinner, I say) you can also see Ashe with exaggerated expressions. What I do agree on is the light. There is a tremendous improvement between chapters 1 and 2, and the photo session with Britanni.

anyway, I don't care that much about the renders. As long as they're decent, that's enough for me. I care much more about the story, and that's where FiN shines. But it is appreciated that you have taken the trouble to try to improve them. Actually between chapters 1 and 8 there is a real gap. Although I also think that the renders of chapter 1 were not made by you, and it shows that Guy and Nicki look different than they do later.

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
Chapter 3 doesn't seem so bad to me. In fact, I think there is a lot of improvement compared to 2 and, especially 1. Some of Ashe's expressions in 2 do seem exaggerated to me, but in 7 (I think it's 7. The one at dinner, I say) you can also see Ashe with exaggerated expressions. What I do agree on is the light. There is a tremendous improvement between chapters 1 and 2, and the photo session with Britanni.

anyway, I don't care that much about the renders. As long as they're decent, that's enough for me. I care much more about the story, and that's where FiN shines. But it is appreciated that you have taken the trouble to try to improve them. Actually between chapters 1 and 8 there is a real gap. Although I also think that the renders of chapter 1 were not made by you, and it shows that Guy and Nicki look different than they do later.
Ashe's expressions are exactly how Ashe intends them to be.

Less Ashe bashing!

Or else....

Damn I need more coffee.

• Haha
Reactions: NeonGhosts

Chaosguy

Game Developer
Apr 5, 2022

View attachment 3229721

View attachment 3229739

View attachment 3229756

View attachment 3229766

View attachment 3229783

It's part of the charm. Also since you done these scene's you've probably learned a lot more about daz. So it's a learning experience for the later scenes. ;)

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
I do hope that the chapter one rework won't be changing things too much. The same story, but with improvements in writing and visuals rather than something very different. And I think the option not to have sex with Nicki has been mentioned, that's probably a good idea, since every other sex scene has been optional.

vez

Jul 26, 2017
I did a couple of playthroughs yesterday, and I'd honestly love to redo the first three chapters, eventually.

Chapter One just needs a comprehensive rework. But with Chapter Two and Three, I was still struggling to figure out how to frame things, use assets, etc. A lot of the expressions are just a bit too broad and crazy, the lighting isn't very good, and a lot of the poses are lacking. I was also over-narrating stuff a lot back then.. Something which I'm still working on.

I think with Chapter Four, where Brittani comes in to model, I basically found my style for the art. I used a lot more locked-off camera positions, as well as mixing in POV shots for conversations, and 'dramatic' shots for big moments. The expressions and poses got more subtle, I started making better use of DForce objects, and on and on.

I think that, once the game is done, I'll likely go back and redo some of the art for Chapters 2/3, and then excise a lot of my redundant narration. But, that's a lonnnnng ways away, and something I consider low priority.
You did mention wanting to tweak a few things beyond chapter 1 though, or am I wrong? Like fleshing out the dark path with Ashe in the previous update and adding some choices to Risa, I think.

NeonGhosts

Game Developer
Mar 20, 2019

Yeah, the Nicki from the anti-Nicki patch kind of shows how my Nicki will likely look for the do-over. But, her hair asset here is a giant pain in the ass, so I may go with a similar but different one.

np011.png Nicki 4.png

I do hope that the chapter one rework won't be changing things too much. The same story, but with improvements in writing and visuals rather than something very different. And I think the option not to have sex with Nicki has been mentioned, that's probably a good idea, since every other sex scene has been optional.
It's going to be pretty different, I'm afraid. I've said this before, but the 0-to-60 dark path in Chapter One makes Nicki's reappearance a little harder to believe, in my view. I think it'd be better for the story if it was something where Nicki can reasonably feel betrayed and hurt, but still willing to give Guy the benefit of the doubt.

Plus, originally I'd kind of written Nicki to be more like a work friend, not a best friend. Over time that shifted, and I made it clear that Nicki and Guy saw each other outside work quite a bit. So, some of her characterization in Chapter One stands at odds with how she is later.

And yeah, the sex scene will be optional.

You did mention wanting to tweak a few things beyond chapter 1 though, or am I wrong? Like fleshing out the dark path with Ashe in the previous update and adding some choices to Risa, I think.
That's still very much on the docket. I was giving some thought to doing those Ashe scenes now, as sort of a bonus update.. But speaking of Ashe, I also want to clean up her reactions to Guy, once she sees him rollerblading and later. So, when I relaunch I'll add a tag to make Ashe pissed/hateful if Guy acts like a creep at his condo, even if he doesn't sleep with her. Right now you can make her strip, not have sex with her, and she only responds to you with mild skittishness. I'd also like to work on giving her a lighter corruption route to start in Chapter Two, where you can actually focus on trying to make her enjoy the sex, instead of just fucking her with the intent to degrade her.

That'd allow for a slightly easier transition into her later corruption path, where she's interested in fucking you, despite having a bit of animosity for you. And I could solve that with a few partial renders to make Guy nicer and Ashe happier. So, not a ton of time/effort investment.

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
I'd also like to work on giving her a lighter corruption route to start in Chapter Two, where you can actually focus on trying to make her enjoy the sex, instead of just fucking her with the intent to degrade her.

That'd allow for a slightly easier transition into her later corruption path, where she's interested in fucking you, despite having a bit of animosity for you. And I could solve that with a few partial renders to make Guy nicer and Ashe happier. So, not a ton of time/effort investment.
*gasps*

fainted-dark-helmet.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Jarul

bolondro2

Oct 12, 2018
I have downloaded the "chapter 8 v 0.55" but in the game say V0.4. Have I messed the things someway?

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021

View attachment 3229721

View attachment 3229739

View attachment 3229756

View attachment 3229766

View attachment 3229783

I honestly never really noticed that stuff until now.
I was too busy thinking about plowing all these sexy babes.

I'm glad you're waiting to redo stuff though.
I think a lot of devs get trapped in remaking parts of their games.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
It's going to be pretty different, I'm afraid. I've said this before, but the 0-to-60 dark path in Chapter One makes Nicki's reappearance a little harder to believe, in my view. I think it'd be better for the story if it was something where Nicki can reasonably feel betrayed and hurt, but still willing to give Guy the benefit of the doubt.
It really doesn't IMO. Women go back to guys who've done worse to them even when they have other options, and she clearly doesn't.
I know it doesn't matter what I think, but I'd love to see playing chapter one differently to the rest get a bit smoother. Instead of immediately skipping to three months later, show him waking up with a hangover the next day and a choice between "Oh shit what did I do last night?!" and "Gold-digging bitch was asking for it" (OK, maybe not that extreme...)
Or, if he was good to Nicki and then she takes his money and disappears (from his perspective) and that makes him jaded and cruel, he should not be so happy to see her when she reappears later on.

4.50 star(s) 200 Votes