DraxisSilencer1000

Aug 26, 2020
Every couple of months I have someone come to me with this issue. Normally it is the videos from Chapter 1 that have a lower frame rate (I used a different, lower quality technique back then) that I have had complaints about. I need to redo those one day. About a year ago I too had an issue with a couple of the in game videos lagging (all Chapter 1), but that was do to the way that I had my code written and a bad Ren'Py update. I can't recreate the slow down that you are experiencing, so I am not sure how to fix this for you.

I have asked my community over on Discord as well to see if any of them are also experiencing the same issue. And so far the answer is no, but it is still early. So I am going to ask you this, is it all videos that are having this issue, or just the Chapter 1 videos (primarily the repeatable Maya scene)? Keep in mind that some of the repeatable scenes available in Chapter 2 are legacy events from the first chapter(the repeatable scenes). The more information that I have to work with the better.
All right, I really can't help much. After finishing updates I often delete them you see, sorry for that. But yeah, the Maya repeatable is one such scene that lags, and the Kylie repeatable too, which includes the threesome right after that. Again sorry, the only thing I really remember since first I played this is that I'm sure all sex scenes I've seen, are all laggy. I never investigated the .webm files so I don't know much. I clicked some of the repeatable sex scene and I'm sure all of them lagged, if I remember it right. I'd just rather not download it again, as Mega is the only thing that works for me... and downloading through it can be annoying.

Erochaser

Game Developer
Mar 28, 2021
All right, I really can't help much. After finishing updates I often delete them you see, sorry for that. But yeah, the Maya repeatable is one such scene that lags, and the Kylie repeatable too, which includes the threesome right after that. Again sorry, the only thing I really remember since first I played this is that I'm sure all sex scenes I've seen, are all laggy. I never investigated the .webm files so I don't know much. I clicked some of the repeatable sex scene and I'm sure all of them lagged, if I remember it right. I'd just rather not download it again, as Mega is the only thing that works for me... and downloading through it can be annoying.
I have a love hate relationship with MEGA, lol. I will let you know that I will eventually be redoing those older repeatable scenes. I just currently do not have the time to get them done, plus advance the story, plus work on the other projects that take precedence over From the Eclipse. In a few months I might dedicate an entire update to getting just those done like I did for the Chapter 1 rework that you will see in v0.1.9. Hopefully this will clear up the issue!

On a side note, are the newer scenes that run as you progress the story laggy too? Let me know!

DraxisSilencer1000

Aug 26, 2020
I have a love hate relationship with MEGA, lol. I will let you know that I will eventually be redoing those older repeatable scenes. I just currently do not have the time to get them done, plus advance the story, plus work on the other projects that take precedence over From the Eclipse. In a few months I might dedicate an entire update to getting just those done like I did for the Chapter 1 rework that you will see in v0.1.9. Hopefully this will clear up the issue!

On a side note, are the newer scenes that run as you progress the story laggy too? Let me know!
Yeah I'm sure even the wedding sex where the MC married the chief's daughter is laggy too.

Reactions: Erochaser

vilewe7570

Oct 5, 2021
Every couple of months I have someone come to me with this issue. Normally it is the videos from Chapter 1 that have a lower frame rate (I used a different, lower quality technique back then) that I have had complaints about. I need to redo those one day. About a year ago I too had an issue with a couple of the in game videos lagging (all Chapter 1), but that was do to the way that I had my code written and a bad Ren'Py update. I can't recreate the slow down that you are experiencing, so I am not sure how to fix this for you.

I have asked my community over on Discord as well to see if any of them are also experiencing the same issue. And so far the answer is no, but it is still early. So I am going to ask you this, is it all videos that are having this issue, or just the Chapter 1 videos (primarily the repeatable Maya scene)? Keep in mind that some of the repeatable scenes available in Chapter 2 are legacy events from the first chapter(the repeatable scenes). The more information that I have to work with the better.
There are a few things that can cause lag in Ren'Py games.
  • Unoptimized Rendering - Ren'Py defaults to OpenGL however for Windows especially those with older graphics cards using DirectX could give better results.
  • Turn Off Powersave - As mentioned if the player is limiting the performance of their device then it will cause issues especially if their battery is low.
  • Outdated Ren'Py Engine - Latest version is . This can be a problem for fans that only update the game folder and not all the files when newer versions of your game come out. They can check the About page to see what versions of the game and Ren'Py they are running.
  • Autosave Blitzing - Some devs have noticed that on video playback the Autosave might be too aggressive which can cause problems. Adding the ability to turn it off could improve performance.

In the case it improves performance but you still want Autosave you can trigger it at the start of a new day
    $ renpy.force_autosave(True, True)
  • Memory Cache - There are some options to use more memory in Ren'Py.

• Video Framerate - What is Ren'Pys target?

• Developer Menu - Shift+D and Show Image Load Log (F4) will give you an overlay of how much memory you're using.

This can help if you are showing a lot as Ren'Py could be stacking the images instead of clearing them from memory.

Erochaser

Game Developer
Mar 28, 2021
There are a few things that can cause lag in Ren'Py games.
  • Unoptimized Rendering - Ren'Py defaults to OpenGL however for Windows especially those with older graphics cards using DirectX could give better results.
  • Turn Off Powersave - As mentioned if the player is limiting the performance of their device then it will cause issues especially if their battery is low.
  • Outdated Ren'Py Engine - Latest version is . This can be a problem for fans that only update the game folder and not all the files when newer versions of your game come out. They can check the About page to see what versions of the game and Ren'Py they are running.
  • Autosave Blitzing - Some devs have noticed that on video playback the Autosave might be too aggressive which can cause problems. Adding the ability to turn it off could improve performance.

In the case it improves performance but you still want Autosave you can trigger it at the start of a new day
    $ renpy.force_autosave(True, True)
  • Memory Cache - There are some options to use more memory in Ren'Py.

• Video Framerate - What is Ren'Pys target?

• Developer Menu - Shift+D and Show Image Load Log (F4) will give you an overlay of how much memory you're using.

This can help if you are showing a lot as Ren'Py could be stacking the images instead of clearing them from memory.
Thank you! When I get some time I will go over some of these. Not many of my Patron/Discord members have any issues with the game performance, but some of my older videos in the early game seem to lag for some people(note, the framerate of these videos is not great), though they are the same file format. I will see what I can do on my side to minimize scene lagging in any case.

andi80

Dec 10, 2019
Ignore the days, they have little bearing on the game any longer and are only there to show you how many times you have slept. I may phase them out come Chapter 3. As far as the long black screens, I will look at the chapter as a whole and decide if I want to fill in those blanks or not. As the game progresses I still use the black screens, but have tried to keep it limited to transitions over the last several updates. Some of the sleeping scenes will get an update, but they will stick to the characters personality and their relationship to the MC. In chapter 3 I will probably have it so you can look in closer on each character separately while they are sleeping.
Is there a way to progress from Chapter 1 to Chapter 2 naturally? Or do you need to start a new game in Chapter 2? I got to the sandbox portion of Chapter 1, but couldn't seem to progress to the next chapter. Then I started a new game at Chapter 2, and had characters who I hadn't managed to meet yet (specifically the twins). Was I missing something in Ch1?

Erochaser

Game Developer
Mar 28, 2021
Is there a way to progress from Chapter 1 to Chapter 2 naturally? Or do you need to start a new game in Chapter 2? I got to the sandbox portion of Chapter 1, but couldn't seem to progress to the next chapter. Then I started a new game at Chapter 2, and had characters who I hadn't managed to meet yet (specifically the twins). Was I missing something in Ch1?
There is a mini-guide to get you through Chapter 1 in the game. You can find it in the main bedroom in the mornings.

andi80

Dec 10, 2019
There is a mini-guide to get you through Chapter 1 in the game. You can find it in the main bedroom in the mornings.
Thanks. I found which step I was missing. Is the completion of the current update Bonnie's Appointment and the Summons by Eli? I have done both, but it doesn't seem to proceed further.

Erochaser

Game Developer
Mar 28, 2021
Thanks. I found which step I was missing. Is the completion of the current update Bonnie's Appointment and the Summons by Eli? I have done both, but it doesn't seem to proceed further.
Yes they are. They are temporarily repeatable until v0.2.0, though I think I closed of Bonnie's event in v0.1.9. Once 0.2.0 is out then you just have to run through them one more time and they should stop repeating. I did this because the v0.1.9 was light on events, but heavy on code changes and fixes.

Reactions: ninjahotsprings

BlasKyau

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 26, 2018
I think I have finished all the events (except if there is one or more in the brothel, after a short conversation with the receptionist I didn't go back in)

I like how the story is developing so far.

homerj30

Sep 14, 2020
played the latest version
the lag she takes hold :p

that aside, curious about the blonde from the first auction. are we able to purchase her or is that something down the road ?

Erochaser

Game Developer
Mar 28, 2021
played the latest version
the lag she takes hold :p

that aside, curious about the blonde from the first auction. are we able to purchase her or is that something down the road ?
Selene is not yet part of the story. I am not 100% sure on how I am going to reintroduce her, when, or where, but she is def. planned down the road. Same with Riella, though that one I have a more solid grasp on what I am doing with her.

KnightOwlSC

Oct 12, 2021
I'm sure it's been said already but you REALLY need to rework the first few weeks. They are so bad that I gave up on the game.. thankfully I came back because the tempo was MUCH better later on but I'm sure plenty of people aren't sticking around.

Erochaser

Game Developer
Mar 28, 2021
just curious as why the main character constantly gets women that are almost or are sterile.
This is a discussion that was had on our Discord a few months ago. It is not as many as it may seem. "three infertile women, plus Kylie who is sterile". That was a direct quote from me after hand counting them again a few months back. This does not include Selene from the prologue since she is not (as of yet) one of the MC's girls. And as far as I remember I have not added anymore since then. I will probably add one or two more, who knows. ;)

3.70 star(s) 36 Votes