3.00 star(s) 2 Votes
D

Deleted member 2007261

How does a UE4 game look this bad?

It has the fidelity of a PSP game and there are no graphics settings to adjust other than resolution. No AA, no post processing. what the hell PQubed?! how are you charing £45 for something that looks this crap.

I'm purely complaining about the visuals here. Gameplay is good as usual but, gal gun 2 looks gorgeous compared to this!
They probably did the bare minimum to have a product that is sellable, knowing that GG fans will buy it regardless. That price is insane, considering that it's a 10 years old game refitted for PC.

Reactions: Disco-Inferno

cchance

Mar 7, 2018
Huh. I forced MLAA for the game and it actually looks decent.

I do feel like they could've done a bit more but the game is entertaining (if a bit simple.)

Disco-Inferno

May 9, 2017
Huh. I forced MLAA for the game and it actually looks decent.

I do feel like they could've done a bit more but the game is entertaining (if a bit simple.)
That's the issue here though, why should anyone pay £45 for a game and then have to force it to look like it's a modern day release through 3rd party software? They have literally just ported the xbox 360 version of the game over to windows (which isn't exactly difficult, both platforms are fucking windows lol). added on the extra modes that the PS3 version had, refreshed the UI and slapped "REMASTER" on it. The game runs in UE ffs somebody could have made this look similar to GG2 in the time frame of a week just by tweaking the lighting, shadows, AA and PP.

cchance

Mar 7, 2018
That's the issue here though, why should anyone pay £45 for a game and then have to force it to look like it's a modern day release through 3rd party software?
Never played a PC game before? Among relatively modern titles I have games that refuse to work on AMD cards at all, games that haven't worked with 5.1 audio since launch, games you need third party DLLs to make look half decent, games using twenty year old direct3d standards...

I'm not even saying I disagree with you, I just expect things like this...which is why I was really hoping to play an Xbox version.

Disco-Inferno

May 9, 2017
Never played a PC game before? Among relatively modern titles I have games that refuse to work on AMD cards at all, games that haven't worked with 5.1 audio since launch, games you need third party DLLs to make look half decent, games using twenty year old direct3d standards...

I'm not even saying I disagree with you, I just expect things like this...which is why I was really hoping to play an Xbox version.
Gal Gun 2 had none of these issues and looked great.

I will have to back track a little on my statements though as it turns out they have actually put some effort into the release. The 3D model assets have been updated.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

So kudos to them. However the issue remains that the game still looks like it's being rendered on an Xbox 360. Click the image to view in full size otherwise it'll look better than it actually does due to super sampling. If you take a good look you can see the antialiasing is actually better in the original game lol.

Last edited:

cchance

Mar 7, 2018
Gal Gun 2 had none of these issues and looked great.
GG2 wasn't a remaster and likely didn't have a lot of the content they needed. I really wouldn't be surprised if this game was pushed out early just because of the cancellation on Xbox, as the Switch version was ready (see the Crysis Remastered release getting a lesser Switch version much earlier.)

I don't have any insider knowledge but I'd be surprised if losing several console platforms didn't kill their budget.

Disco-Inferno

May 9, 2017
GG2 wasn't a remaster and likely didn't have a lot of the content they needed. I really wouldn't be surprised if this game was pushed out early just because of the cancellation on Xbox, as the Switch version was ready (see the Crysis Remastered release getting a lesser Switch version much earlier.)

I don't have any insider knowledge but I'd be surprised if losing several console platforms didn't kill their budget.
It's not about it being a remaster or Gal gun 2 not being a remaster. They have the rendering pipeline for Gal gun 2 in UE4 which this game is also supposed to run on. So why are they still using the original pipeline from UE3?

Forgive me for being somewhat outraged by all of this but, it just baffles me how people at Inti and PQubed sat there and thought "yeah... This looks good".

cchance

Mar 7, 2018
It's not about it being a remaster or Gal gun 2 not being a remaster. They have the rendering pipeline for Gal gun 2 in UE4 which this game is also supposed to run on. So why are they still using the original pipeline from UE3?

Forgive me for being somewhat outraged by all of this but, it just baffles me how people at Inti and PQubed sat there and thought "yeah... This looks good".
Just as a side note, I'm not seeing any indication this game is using Unreal Engine at all in the game or in the game directory. GG2 used UE3.

Disco-Inferno

May 9, 2017
Just as a side note, I'm not seeing any indication this game is using Unreal Engine at all in the game or in the game directory. GG2 used UE3.
GG2 uses UE4. UE3 does not support VR. The fanbase also seems to be under the impression that GG2 runs on UE4.

and you won't see any indication in the file directory because japanese developers like to encrypt everything in weird ways as they usually use a slightly customized version of engines.

cchance

Mar 7, 2018
GG2 uses UE4. UE3 does not support VR. The fanbase also seems to be under the impression that GG2 runs on UE4.

and you won't see any indication in the file directory because japanese developers like to encrypt everything in weird ways as they usually use a slightly customized version of engines.
Fair enough, it's probably 4. I was just seeing the "UnrealEngine3" save directory...don't know what else to look for at the moment.

GG2 not only has the usual Unreal Engine files in the directory but also an Unreal Engine video right at the start. I've never seen a UE game that hid its affiliation, DLLs, legalese, etc. I wouldn't think they can.

At any rate, it is what it is. I'm not particularly bothered by the situation but I can definitely understand why some would be.

Disco-Inferno

May 9, 2017
Fair enough, it's probably 4. I was just seeing the "UnrealEngine3" save directory...don't know what else to look for at the moment.

GG2 not only has the usual Unreal Engine files in the directory but also an Unreal Engine video right at the start. I've never seen a UE game that hid its affiliation, DLLs, legalese, etc. I wouldn't think they can.

At any rate, it is what it is. I'm not particularly bothered by the situation but I can definitely understand why some would be.
There are licenses for C++ modules in the file directory and UE runs on C++. That's the only concrete thing I have in order to say that it's probably UE3 or4.

It's also a 64bt application making me lean more towards UE4 than 3.

cchance

Mar 7, 2018
There are licenses for C++ modules in the file directory and UE runs on C++. That's the only concrete thing I have in order to say that it's probably UE3 or4.

It's also a 64bt application making me lean more towards UE4 than 3.
That's about the longest reach I've ever seen.

Epic has never let anyone use their code without any attribution whatsoever to them.

(It looks like if not their own code, they used a cross platform toolkit I'm unaware of or Source 2.)

Last edited:

Disco-Inferno

May 9, 2017
That's about the longest reach I've ever seen.

Epic has never let anyone use their code without any attribution whatsoever to them.

(It looks like if not their own code, they used a cross platform toolkit I'm unaware of or Source 2.)
What makes it a long reach? Name other known mainstream game engines that run on C++ that are not unity(it'd be fairly obvious if the game ran on unity).

if a studio pays for UE licenses they are under no obligation to show that they use it. Developers only really do that if they want to attract consumers based on the engine, which usually only happens within the first year or two of the engine being released.

Nintendo also recommend UE4 or Unity for the switch. Leaning towards unity for performance reasons. But we can be pretty sure it's not unity in this case.

Gooblygoop

Jun 2, 2017
Can you really play as female here?
I was reading through the posts and i noticed your question was never answered, so let me try, even though you might have lost interest. The game is a male and female protagonist but the only playable character is male. In this game case. the male character is voiceless (like almost all harem games) but the female partner does all the talking. So i guess the answer to you inquiry is that yes the game does have a female protagonist but that role is for story telling, not playability.

neddyf

Apr 15, 2019
I'm new to this series.
-What's new compared to GG2 ?
-Also, can the girls fight bact with something else than kissing and stomping?
Thanks.

cchance

Mar 7, 2018
I'm new to this series.
-What's new compared to GG2 ?
-Also, can the girls fight bact with something else than kissing and stomping?
Thanks.
It's a remake of an older game. There are different girls and stories but nothing is really "new."

I enjoyed it but I hope they have something better coming.

Reactions: neddyf
3.00 star(s) 2 Votes