• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

VN Ren'Py Game Dev Journal: Inner Demons (Ch 4 progress)

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
So, figured out how to (successfully) use MICK architecture. There is no rotation or translate sliders for the actual building materials. But the snap x, y, z sliders work wonders. Once I was able to figure it out, it took everything in me to STOP building the garrison. This thing was going to be massive if I didn't limit myself.
That looks sweet!

scatter some background props around to reduce the bareness and it will be perfect.

plus your game has now passed the Crate test (forgive me while I summon dusty internet relics: )

Reactions: GrayTShirt

GrayTShirt

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2019
Nearing the end of the renders! Maybe 50-60 more. Most of them on this last lewd scene. Then, some after-action shots, a couple teaser shots for the next chapter. After all that, then PhotoShop post work, script, coding, then builds... maybe a week and a half left.
Here's a few shots so far, some pre-render, some pre-post-work.
-GrayTShirt

GrayTShirt

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2019
So, doing test renders is a good way to quickly checking your images will come out okay. You can get a quick glimpse of focus, lighting, and composition. So, when I woke up I checked my RenderQueue I saw about 20 or so images that only rendered in less than 3 minutes... And then I found out why...
This image is split between pre- and -post work. The left is rendered, the right is... well, fixed. It looks like crap to me. Too pixelated, too many blown pixels. You would have thought I'd have learned my lesson on lighting in dark rooms, but noooooooooooo! Time to go fixing a bunch of renders... again.
-GrayTShirt

Reactions: OneRow

GrayTShirt

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2019
So... many... renders... I think I hit 1000. Problem is each scene takes about 30 minutes to an hour and half just to compose. Move each knuckle, avoid each collision, dForce simulations, test renders. Once I get a scene done, I'll usually do 2 or 3 camera angles to get some good visuals during dialogue.

I'm finishing up the last lewd scene, maybe 4 or 5 images to go. Then I can work on the transition scenes into the next chapter, which consists of 2 locations and alot of effects.

And then, of course, the post work, script, and coding.

What's taking this chapter so long to do is that it's setting up the story, introducing main characters, and building the set locations. All of the chapters after this "should" be easier.

-GrayTShirt

GrayTShirt

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2019
So, what I thought was going to be a small number of images to finish off the chapter... godsdammit...
On an upnote though, here's my favorite image so far. If anything screamed for a medieval/fantasy era record-scratch, it's this picture.
-GrayTShirt

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
So... many... renders... I think I hit 1000. Problem is each scene takes about 30 minutes to an hour and half just to compose. Move each knuckle, avoid each collision, dForce simulations, test renders.
This is exactly my experience and why I often get discouraged or walk away from a project for a while - it is just such a grind!

GrayTShirt

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2019
Oh for fuck's sake...
Decided to throw in one last lewd scene before ending the chapter. Just can't stop with the making of the renders! Should be finished with the lewdness today, then do the postwork and a 4 final images tomorrow.
Can't stop, won't stop, I need to stop!
-GrayTshirt

Reactions: osanaiko

GrayTShirt

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2019
Renders are done! Post work begins... on ~1200 images...
I may go back and redo some of the beginning images though. When I made them (4 months ago) I thought they were good. Now that I've learned alot more... I realize they aren't all that great. But it's only about 6 or 7, but they're necessary for the backstory.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Renders are done! Post work begins... on ~1200 images...
I may go back and redo some of the beginning images though. When I made them (4 months ago) I thought they were good. Now that I've learned alot more... I realize they aren't all that great. But it's only about 6 or 7, but they're necessary for the backstory.
I know what you mean here, but also remember that you need to ship it. perfectionism is the enemy of done.

Reactions: GrayTShirt

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
As you seem to be getting close to release time, I thought I'd let you know that I having been doing playtester/proofreader/editor work for a handful of developers here on f95. No cost, I do it for the feeling of contributing to the game dev process even when I don't have the motivation to do a full game of my own. If you are interested, shoot me a private message and we can work out the details.

Reactions: OneRow

GrayTShirt

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2019
Osanaiko! Thank you so much! I'll definitely be hitting you up soon.
Just finished up post work. There are 40 images that need to be redone though, since post work couldn't fix them. Missing backgrounds and floor tiles, out-of-focus faces, weird neck bends-lower neck and head are fine, but the upper neck is twisted all the way around, and some other stuff. I should finish tonight and start working on the script tomorrow.
We're getting there!
Here's a sneak peak at what's coming...

GrayTShirt

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2019
Script is done!
169 pages. Gonna take a break tomorrow night. Then just start coding the Ren'Py on Saturday and Sunday.
Just a few more days!

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: osanaiko

GrayTShirt

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2019
The Scriptening, ehh... Programmening has begun!
EDIT: Just learned how to separate each chapter! Now, instead of one looooooooooong script, it will be different scripts for each chapter. A chapter selection screen with hotspots have been added. Now I can have viewers start from new chapters as they arrive. Exciting!

Last edited:
Reactions: digi.B and OneRow

GrayTShirt

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2019
Current update.
Coding is going well. It's alot of scenes (`1200 images).
About a third of the way finished.
When that's done, sound effects and music.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Current update.
Coding is going well. It's alot of scenes (`1200 images).
About a third of the way finished.
When that's done, sound effects and music.
Good to hear you are progressing well. How much renpy have you done before? Are you doing a Kinetic Novel style with a story on rails, or is there some sort of active decision making by the MC?