Tool Others Game Manager 2.17.12.7

4.00 star(s) 5 Votes

tid

Aug 16, 2017
the problem with different thumbs format is that you will have less games displayed per screen. But you can get past his by setting a number of games to be displayed per page.

Thanks to those who have activated stats I now know that almost everybody has a full hd screen, the smaller is 664*1176 and the larger is 2160*3840 so it could be a good idea to have another option to display games.

tid

Aug 16, 2017
Version 2.14.9.5

• Screenshot viewer should be working again.
  • In preferences you can now choose to use large thumbs (400*200), it will display the first game's screen. I will work later on allowing users to upload their own large banners.

CuddleBear

Jun 9, 2017
Oh! I love this feature! It automatically uses the first screenshot preview isnt it? this is great. think its a much better viewable experience rather than cutting out content from the images.

As for controlling what is on the screen at any one point, having dynamic scaleable thumbnails makes sense, allowing the user to ctrl+scroll to make the thumbnails larger or smaller.

That should give the users more control over how many is in display at any one point.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

1440p maximized with automatic volume of thumbnails leave some wasted space for example.

Almost perfect on the horizontal plane with the side bar extented but i never use that personally.
A dynamic scaler could allow the users to lower the size a tiny bit to allow for another row and colloum each.

But i think this view with a bit of small tweeks will be great. Think its amazing so far. Shows more and is easier to recognize and view what you want.

EDIT!:
The settings checkbox does not stay check when re-opening the settings: game_list_LpNRGlWAqs.png

Last edited:

CuddleBear

Jun 9, 2017
This issue has returned again:

Refreshing adds to the list, manually adding images (trying to add new banners) refreshes and doesn't add to the list.

EDIT: also after using the new big picture more a bit more. It seems much slower, unsure if this is cause its generating these images on the fly or if its downloading atleast the first image of each title if it doesnt have it already and that causes it to be slow. Not a thing that should happen in anycase.

Last edited:

CuddleBear

Jun 9, 2017
Till we got the ability to run the `steam://run/<ID>` command, i did a workaround with a short html file.
Would ofc be for the best to let the client launch this in just run by itself without a workaround and allowing for setting owned states without files.

This can allow users to have some games on steam and let game-list activate an install if its not installed and run it on demand with a single command.

But atm there is only like what? 80 games on steam? maybe more? But more and more games are getting releases on there with little to no censoring.
Like it as an alternative as it can allow for collections without the waste of space.

If you want to add it to the client then all there is needed is a simple run command like any other external interaction.

EDIT: added 83 other urls. should cover most use cases out atm and more i guess. many is missing though as i couldnt be asked to do any more.... really should have made a script for it. wew
While i did it by hand... i believe they are all correct, errors should be few and far between if any.
View attachment Steam Launch URL's.zip

Last edited:

tid

Aug 16, 2017
V 2.14.11.5
  • When you reload screens they are no more duplicated.
  • If you have chosen large thumb the option will be memorized next time you open the preferences window
  • On large thumbs display width an high adapt to cover all available space.
  • You can now chose large images for as default thumb.
  • You can add your own images to a game.
  • Thumbs are now loaded in background for a better display time.

CuddleBear

Jun 9, 2017
Loving the new update, speed is much better for sure and the bug with the screenshots is fixed.
Issue with the automatic scaling of the images though as it crops the image after the available space instead of scaling them as a whole while keeping the aspect ratio.

You would want to keep the aspect ratio while scaling the size without introducing cropping.

One would expect the whole image would be displayed correctly as intented. cropping can ofc be done, but atleast not to the extent is going on here or not at all.

Much of the point of the large viewer would be to make the collection stand out and look better. Make use of the content already made for F95 with the banners. Guess its also helpful for larger res displays and tv ui/big picture.

CuddleBear

Jun 9, 2017
Hmm seems my earlier workaround for Steam doesn't trigger an install of the game if its not installed. Thats too bad, should be easy to have a set install command on the side with the same ID.

CuddleBear

Jun 9, 2017
New update changes the display to not crop?
Thats good. Not sure about it being locked in the aspect ratio it has though. User choice for the common aspect ratios would make sense.

allowing the user to set the aspect ratio freely will remove all limits you have with having two specific thumbnail setups as you have now.
Allowing the user to say 1x1 for squares, 16:9 for screenshots and 4:1 for banners makes sense.
With a single system you allow for it all. I am not expecting people to have multiple different sizes for different games either. Rather just one set global ratio for the user.
Cropping or having an option to crop if the aspect ratio of the image is wrong also makes sense to remove wasted space.

As of now, the big thumbnail mode both leaves dead space for both 16:9 and 4:1 which is no way to do it imo.
While the images is in full view and that is all well and good. Don't think that is the correct step either.
And i can understand you dont want different sizes and ratios on a single page either as that will be messy quick.

Having the user have more control of the ratio they want to use and cropping anything that goes out of that makes sense. Then they can find or make images for those ratios or just use those that has most shares.

Image selection could also be done by reading the embedded metadata of the images to check for ratios automatically across the board.

Maybe im just having too open of thoughts on the matter, but UI is something that is never nailed down quickly.

EDIT: but all of this is really fluff features. More core features should prob be in focus. But i guess UI is easier in many ways.
Just don't hardcode anything like that.

kuraiken

Dec 5, 2017
Things I'd like to see in the near future:

Community Functions
  • Rating
A rating of 0-5 stars is displayed in the top left corner of the image. If you mouse-over the rating stars, the other ratings are shown underneath.
There are three possible ratings: your rating, the F95 thread rating, the community (game-list) user rating.
The user can decide which one is shown by default. The others are blended in on mouse-over.

New function: You can rate a game with 0-5 stars.

• Recommendations
A new filter "Recommendations" is created. If switched on, only recommended games are shown. (These are still affected by other filter selection such as tags)

New function: you can right-click on a tag of a game and click on "Recommend for Tag".
This gives the game +1 to a counter of its tag. (e.g. a game Recommended thrice in Fantasy would have Fantasy 3 in its metadata)

The three most recommended tags of any game receive "Highlight Primary" which alters the way the tag is displayed. (Outline color, text color, perhaps background box - all these should be customizable so users can set their own scheme!)

Other tags that have been recommended receive "Highlight Secondary".
That way you can see what community members think the game especially excels at and what community members think the game does well.

Recommended games are only shown when no tag is being searched for, or a tag they were recommended for is searched for. (Prevents games of non-desired category recommendations from being displayed)

This ultimately allows game-list users to recommend games that are particularily well-done and people can search the recommendations for well-received games.

• New Sort Functions
Matching the two community functions, games can be searched for best rating /worst rating / unrated, as well as most recommendations and least recommendations.

These improvements, I think, would be a big step into a direction where a community of game-list users is encouraged and both the rating and recommendation system should make it easier to search for good games.

tid

Aug 16, 2017
I see good Ideas here, I was planning to work on the rating part next.
Thanks to the ones of you that enabled games stats, I'll soon be able to show most played game(all time or per week) most installed games, you could use most "favorited" also.
There are games I know how to move saves but I haven't coded them (like glassix for example) I'll be working on this to do a dynamic system (I don't want to hard code each game).
And I'll be a little selfish and create a system to backup my saves online (I had a crash and now I have to restart each game from the beginning), but I can't open this to every one. It will take too much server resources (maybe I could do a patreon only feature but it will be avaiable to only one person atm, and I don't really like this idea)

Reactions: kuraiken

CuddleBear

Jun 9, 2017
Instead of having save backup on your own servers online. You could have an option to set a save sync folder that it upload syncs with (push only)
That way it can be used with any cloud service or backup option people might have.

That with the ability to import in bulk will be good imo.
Push only is important so some services doesn't mess up though. Syncing down the wrong version can happen on some cloud services like google drive for example.

Also doing it this way should allow the syncing software to do versioning correctly, allowing users to technically rollback any weird overwrites they might have done.

Not sure how you would do syncing itself though.
Guess you could pull the ntfs stream to see changes in the save folders. Or watch the folders when the game is active. But that requires you to track the game exe (and wouldnt work on html files).
But on a side note, if you where to track that. You could also do time played stats. Or time open atleast....
People are gonna leave their shit open over night for sure.

On a side note of personal features, Steam installing and Steam Launching would be the one for me, clearing out space is important :D

EDIT: GameSave Manager comes to mind on how to do most of it right with saves.
They just zip it up and have an xml file for settings i believe (path to saves, in the user folder or even pulled by the registry)

But sadly, they don't update the file and how they overwrite the backups breaks versioning on all sync platforms i have seen (Google, Amzn, Mega and Synology Drive)

While you can't really use the registry to pull the save path, by logging the relative path in the user folder for games could be interesting as pretty much all games has saves in the user folder in some way or another.
Most renpy titles have copies of the save in the user folders and non-renpy games pretty much is only in the user folders.

GameSave Manager manages this by allowing users to make a backup task and let them pick the relative paths that can be then uploaded to the server for automatic usage for the rest of the userbase.
Having config files for saves that is shared for everyone is much more effective use on server resources too.

Last edited:

kuraiken

Dec 5, 2017
I see good Ideas here, I was planning to work on the rating part next.
Thanks to the ones of you that enabled games stats, I'll soon be able to show most played game(all time or per week) most installed games, you could use most "favorited" also.
There are games I know how to move saves but I haven't coded them (like glassix for example) I'll be working on this to do a dynamic system (I don't want to hard code each game).
And I'll be a little selfish and create a system to backup my saves online (I had a crash and now I have to restart each game from the beginning), but I can't open this to every one. It will take too much server resources (maybe I could do a patreon only feature but it will be avaiable to only one person atm, and I don't really like this idea)
Sounds good, though I'd suggest you also consider the recommendation system as addition.

At a glance, it may look like a "oh, that's just like ratings"-system, but it's very, very different.
Ratings allow you to see at a glance what the community/F95/you overall think of a game.
But it's very likely you'll also catch many games that are highly rated but don't feature much of a certain tag.

Say you want to search for a good romance game. So you search for the romance tag, sort by rating.
What you now get is all games that have the romance tag, even games that barely have any romance at all but are highly rated for other reasons.
You want futa? or gay? You'll even get games that only have a single such scene in it, and are tagged futa or gay.

But by tag-based recommendation ratings, you'll find games that have been specifically recommended for that tag/fetish. So instead of finding games that are universally good, you'll find games that the community thinks do that specific fetish/aspect very well.

That makes it much more easier to find hidden gems or games that cater to a specific fetish.

CuddleBear

Jun 9, 2017
If ratings becomes more of a thing. A Game-List only rating split across different factors could be useful i think.
Having seperate ratings for art/graphics, gameplay and story for example.

People like different things, and tags dont really cover it all. So people might want it simple with little gameplay but just have good "plot". While other want a deeper experience like an RPG.

Sure tags covers it somewhat, but it doesnt tell the whole story.

kuraiken

Dec 5, 2017
If ratings becomes more of a thing. A Game-List only rating split across different factors could be useful i think.
Having seperate ratings for art/graphics, gameplay and story for example.

People like different things, and tags dont really cover it all. So people might want it simple with little gameplay but just have good "plot". While other want a deeper experience like an RPG.

Sure tags covers it somewhat, but it doesnt tell the whole story.
Mhm, true. That might be a good addition, but I don't see a way to include it in the default rating.
As you say, games are very different. So if you could vote 1-5 stars on graphics, gameplay & story and then it calculates an average rating from it, for example, games that focus on only 1 or 2 of those elements would drop in rating just because they don't cover all areas.

Here's a thought, though: what if, in addition to ratings and recommendations, people can also review games?
The way I'd see it working is that you have three parts of a review:

###General Rating###
Here you can rate Art Design, Gameplay, Story, Sound Design by default.
You can deactivate rating categories if an element is not part of the actual game.
So if you have a 3D animation game where you select poses and watch sex animation, you could deactivate "Story" to show that it doesn't have any.
You can also focus rating categories which means that they're weighted 3 times as much.

This then results in an average rating, e.g.
Art Design -Inactive [Reason: Text-based game]
Gameplay -4 stars
Story -5 stars {focus]
Sound Design -2 stars
Average General Rating: 4.2 stars ((4+5+5+5+2)/5)

###Custom Rating###
The second field gives you optional rating categories and the ability to add custom rating categories to your review.

e.g. Creativity, Novelty-Factor, Content-size, Sex Scene density, etc.

These and the general ratings are combined into the Average Overall Rating. This average overall rating functions exactly like a normal 1-5 stars rating for the game. (But it ensures people don't have to always write reviews to rate a game - they can also just rate it on a simple 1-5 scale without a review)

###Review text###
The final part allows people to write a review text.
These reviews can be read by other users.

Search-based, you could either search for the Overall Rating (Overall review rating + user ratings) or for specific rating categories. E.g. Art Design, Story, etc.
This will ignore all other review categories and only sort games by that category's rating.

In addition, this would combine pretty well with an xp system for users.
Basically, actions that help the community (rating a game, recommending a game for a category, writing a review, having someone like your review) earns your account XP points.
Every once in a while, XP points grant a level and that level is displayed with your review. This level is important for sorting reviews, because reviews should in general be sorted by user level descending.
That way, the first reviews you can read will be the ones by those who help the community the most.

CuddleBear

Jun 9, 2017
Instead of trying to figure out a perfect system for how to split the rating and merge it back together again. Let the users control the weight of each value is after their own needs. That will reflect in the final score for them after what they are most interested in.

I for one like my gameplay very light, RenPy titles is the best for me. So i would weight gameplay pretty low.

But starting to get into full reviews and XP and such is just overkill.

Its good to speculate and all, i do so here on this thread all the time to feed my thoughts on the program and what it can be.
But sadly i do feel the main featureset is in need of refinement.

tid

Aug 16, 2017
I think that the multicritera ratting is a good idea, like on sites where you can compare mobiles. You can seach by global rating but filter only mobiles with 5 stars on the photo part.
Before I should rework the games window to be able to display all the needed datas.

CuddleBear

Jun 9, 2017
Yeah, the Detailed Game Page need a complete work-over imo. Should try to have it all on a single page really, without the need of other tabs.
Also having related and similar games at the bottom would also make sense!

Having the related games from say the say creator or titles you might add manually to that list makes sense!
Allowing you to quickly see all the titles in the series.

Similar should work after tag and rating weight.
Note that Similar relations prob should be pre-processed to not cause lag on content load.

kuraiken

Dec 5, 2017
There's an issue with the install function when a game is to be installed that features a slash in the title.

E.g.
https://f95zone.to/threads/equellum-fabula-carmen-cygni-demo-2-gaikiken.32985/
This installs the game in "Equellum" and then the actual game as subfolder.

I think the direct title name should be stripped of those special icons, so that it doesn't interfere with the special commands for folder structure.

Also:
This game isn't listed:
https://f95zone.to/threads/sobo-to-boku-obaa-chan-nanika-dechau-yoo-appetite.18822/

Last edited:

CuddleBear

Jun 9, 2017
Game page re-layout time!

This is not something that should be considered as final layout at all.
Everything in terms of sizes and spaces needs to be touched up in some way or another.

Notes of changes i want here:
Checkmark icon should not indicate install state but rather played state.
Creator name should be clickable to open a search for that creator specifically.
Version numbers should be in red when out of date (and current release should be noted next to it).
Version numbers should be in green when its up-to-date.
Version numbers should be white when not installed (this will indicate install state)

Was unsure about the larger space at the top so a description makes perfect sense imo!

All frames next to the screenshots should be exandable and collapsable with the screenshots being at the bottom under it all.
Screenshots should allowcate to the space it is given here as it can be given less space when other frames are expanded like the tags or version/install overview.

Install overview should contain path (if you really need it in view, think its a waste personally)

At the bottom it should list Either Related or Similar titles. (a tab for each to switch between?)
On the last available spot should have a button to open a search for the rest.

The Tag list should be listed with an easy overview which is easier on the eyes compared to a horizontal view.
Think the tags should be listed alphabetically between the shared type/namespace while types or namespaces will have a set sort order (for important tags to be on top like more general terms).

-------------------

All in all, i was just sick of looking at the multiple tabs and split up view when there was so much wasted space.
At first such an UI like this might be overwhelming for some, but i think its for the better.

And just now as im writing this, i forgot about ratings... would be to the right of the version number or creator name prob when thinking about it.

EDIT: thinking a bit more about it, merging the versions/installs tab and the mods tabs to have a horizontal split would also make sense imo!
Will give you more room for images and such.

Last edited:
4.00 star(s) 5 Votes