kurosx

Oct 1, 2017
Hey guys any gamedev in here? I've got a question, since I am starting my own gamedev journey not too long ago I've been meddling with the gamefiles and was wondering where I could find files that are mentioned in the script.rpy ? Because they are not in /images/. Is this some kind of technique to encrypt your files ? Where are the o2_happy etc.
They are, but you missed a step. These variables are declared in characters.rpy:

Screenshot 2024-09-03 154024.jpg

When you are looking for a specific expression in the script, the easiest way to do so is searching for it in all files in Notepad++:

Screenshot 2024-09-03 154355.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: wowdank2 and matsuy

wowdank2

Oct 18, 2019
They are, but you missed a step. These variables are declared in characters.rpy:

View attachment 3996271

When you are looking for a specific expression in the script, the easiest way to do so is searching for it in all files in Notepad++:

View attachment 3996274
Alright, cheers dude, and how do you actually make an .rpa file to protect your assets like he did? Is it when compiling and exporting for play through renpy app? How was this made?

Also the char.rpy file seems incredibly busy, isn't there a simpler way of defining these sprites? Will I have to do this if I want to make a similar game? Define every single image and then display it through scripts.rpy?

Like for example can't I just layer a char like a cut out with different expressions and assets instead of relinking a completly new image? I've seen Hero Party Must fall scripting and it was layering a base with different expressions and mouth images, is this a better way of doing ?

kurosx

Oct 1, 2017
Sorry, that I can't answer, I am not a developer. I only examine the scripts to see what choices cause or trigger what variables, when I am playing a game. So I may unren the rpa's, if necessary, and look for what is of interest for me in that moment.

Maybe the Ren'Py-documentation can help you with your questions:

P_π

AKA-Nirguin-
Game Developer
Nov 7, 2017
Alright, cheers dude, and how do you actually make an .rpa file to protect your assets like he did? Is it when compiling and exporting for play through renpy app? How was this made?
Go to the file "options.rpy" scroll down in the 188-189 uncoment both lines that way you can "encrypt" your files.
the encryption only occurs when you make the distro (compiling).
He did the same:
1725402543750.png
Like for example can't I just layer a char like a cut out with different expressions and assets instead of relinking a completly new image? I've seen Hero Party Must fall scripting and it was layering a base with different expressions and mouth images, is this a better way of doing ?
You can do it, at the end of the day renpy it's just python
if I remember correctly make a video about that, she makes tutorials about renpy
Youtube chanel:

Sorry if I couldn't help you but I no longer program :HideThePain: I just make renders now:geek:

Reactions: wowdank2
4.30 star(s) 55 Votes