Krnekdo

Feb 28, 2017
Figured I'd make an update on things since there have been a few developments. The big one is that the dev announced in his blog a few weeks ago that Grace will be receiving an official translation, but not from Kagura, likely because he wasn't satisfied with Zeven taking five years to get translated and released.

This puts me in an awkward spot for a few reasons. The obvious one is that it doesn't really make much sense to work on something that'll be overshadowed by an official release in the (I assume near) future. Although my main reason for starting this was to practice my translation skills, the aspect of translating something that hasn't been translated also factored into my decision. Another thing is that, from my understanding of things, Kagura is like the only decent publisher for these kinds of games. The dev didn't say who the publisher was, but I can definitely imagine a world where Otaku Plan shits out a translation for this game in 8-12 months time and it scares me a little bit.

So I've got a decision to make. I'm leaning toward shelving the translation for now and maybe just editing/retranslating the official release when it comes out if it's bad/censored, which is a practice you see commonly in the VN and anime communities. In the meantime, I could work on the dev's new game, he put out a trial version that's basically the first two sections of the game so that'd give me like a 40 scene head start on its release. Or I could work on some shortish games that aren't likely to get an English release anytime soon. In any case, I'd like to hear some feedback/suggestions before really committing to anything.
Do whatever makes you happy. Simple as.

maloon

Oct 26, 2017
Figured I'd make an update on things since there have been a few developments. The big one is that the dev announced in his blog a few weeks ago that Grace will be receiving an official translation, but not from Kagura, likely because he wasn't satisfied with Zeven taking five years to get translated and released.

This puts me in an awkward spot for a few reasons. The obvious one is that it doesn't really make much sense to work on something that'll be overshadowed by an official release in the (I assume near) future. Although my main reason for starting this was to practice my translation skills, the aspect of translating something that hasn't been translated also factored into my decision. Another thing is that, from my understanding of things, Kagura is like the only decent publisher for these kinds of games. The dev didn't say who the publisher was, but I can definitely imagine a world where Otaku Plan shits out a translation for this game in 8-12 months time and it scares me a little bit.

So I've got a decision to make. I'm leaning toward shelving the translation for now and maybe just editing/retranslating the official release when it comes out if it's bad/censored, which is a practice you see commonly in the VN and anime communities. In the meantime, I could work on the dev's new game, he put out a trial version that's basically the first two sections of the game so that'd give me like a 40 scene head start on its release. Or I could work on some shortish games that aren't likely to get an English release anytime soon. In any case, I'd like to hear some feedback/suggestions before really committing to anything.
Personally i'd love a translation of his upcoming game as it hits all my buttons and i'm super hyped for it. Having a translation of this quality for that game would be amazing.

Xenrir

Jun 17, 2017

You've pretty much got the right of it, there aren't any other decent publishers aside from Kagura in the field except for Remtairy, and I doubt they're working on this. It's probably going to be MTL Plan shitting out a godawful translation, which is actually why I'd argue that your work on this is even more valuable - getting out ahead of said awful translation.

Of course, it's your time, so you should always choose to do what you personally want to. The new game isn't all that good though, in my opinion. It is just a demo like you said, however. My vote would be Grace > smaller more obscure games > new game, but do whatever you think is best.

RandomCPU3

Apr 8, 2018

While I would say confidently your translation would probably be better considering the quality I agree with others that you should just do whatever you feel will be the best for you. If that is finishing Grace, doing the start of his new game, or just something else. I personally would love the rest of Grace finished because I honestly don't expect much from an official translation in comparison to what you have done. But whatever you choose I appreciate how much work and effort you have put into it, so again thank you so much for that.

Klinkclankx

Jul 12, 2021

I think working on some lesser known titles is probably making the most sense. Translation is a lot of effort so why do something that's going to get a full translation in the "near'ish'" future? I'd love if Kagura had some competition because they really do take forever for the translations.

Reactions: stonefred767

sheez

Apr 13, 2019

Studio that will be releasing Grace is BokiBoki Games.

They are Chinese and english versions of their games are buggy MTL trash beyond fixing. Check for yourself quality of this translation https://f95zone.to/threads/kris-and-the-city-of-pleasure-final-kumogakure.130906

Last edited:

mofu2x

Oct 10, 2020

They are Chinese and english versions of their games are buggy MTL trash beyond fixing. Check for yourself quality of this translation https://f95zone.to/threads/kris-and-the-city-of-pleasure-final-kumogakure.130906
Oh, I remember trying to play that one. Yeah, it was genuinely completely broken so you couldn't possibly see 80% of the content. I think a fan translation will probably still be warranted if they're the ones handling it.

borlios

Nov 1, 2020

I absolutely respect where you are coming from and the work you have done. Personally I would love to see translation work on the developers new game. And like you said, if the official translation for Grace sucks you can fix it up. You're translation has been one of the best H-game translations I've seen and I'd love to see more!

Reactions: stonefred767

stonefred767

May 15, 2023
What's the name of that game?
. It seems like it'll be more lighthearted than Grace. The protagonist is a deeply closeted pervert with comedically low self-esteem that gets drafted into a war with interdimensional invaders because her secret desire to be an exhibitionist was more pure than the hopes and dreams of the little girls that normally get chosen.

stonefred767

May 15, 2023

Krnekdo

Feb 28, 2017

Oh that publisher. Yeah that's not good news at all lmao.
I have no idea what's happening with Grace's English translation. I mentioned it in one of my previous posts in this thread, here. There's a convenient , and Grace's game is on it. I'm not sure if Boki x2 are going to resubmit it, or if Zeven's dev has made a deal with someone else already, if he's even aware of the situation. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he was left in the dark or if he isn't aware of the terrible quality of Boki x2's works, at least English ones; I'm clueless about their CN TLs. A precedent does exist where Otaku Plan have had Night Tail removed from Steam, but later reintroduced it as Nightmare Hunter and successfully released it. You can CTRL+F in the above linked Google doc.

So yeah, no clue what that's about. If you sympathize with the dev, maybe you can contact him and ask him yourself if he's aware of the current situation. For all we know he might be suffering from some kind of curse that's preventing him from releasing a successful and timely western localization.

Ergast

May 31, 2017
Technically the same happened with Under the Sky World, it was rejected as Digital Princess Karin, and then released as Under the Sky World... By BokiBoki.

Reactions: EyeOfSpades

EyeOfSpades

May 14, 2021
Oh that publisher. Yeah that's not good news at all lmao.
I've played a few of their translations and i can say with confidence that
Bokiboki has some of the worst translations ever, their translation are literally unplayable like they completely break the game and you cant finish it kind of bad (probably messing up code while translating it and not bothering to fix it)

not to mention the schizophrenic rant tier English the characters are spouting which makes understanding damn anything near impossible even while being used to broken English

If you are looking for stuff to translate i think continuing this game is still a good idea since bokiboki's translations are so bad its not even worth acknowledging their existence and you've done quite a lot of work on it already
regardless of whatever you decide keep up the great work. <3

stonefred767

May 15, 2023
I have no idea what's happening with Grace's English translation. I mentioned it in one of my previous posts in this thread, here. There's a convenient , and Grace's game is on it. I'm not sure if Boki x2 are going to resubmit it, or if Zeven's dev has made a deal with someone else already, if he's even aware of the situation. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he was left in the dark or if he isn't aware of the terrible quality of Boki x2's works, at least English ones; I'm clueless about their CN TLs. A precedent does exist where Otaku Plan have had Night Tail removed from Steam, but later reintroduced it as Nightmare Hunter and successfully released it. You can CTRL+F in the above linked Google doc.

So yeah, no clue what that's about. If you sympathize with the dev, maybe you can contact him and ask him yourself if he's aware of the current situation. For all we know he might be suffering from some kind of curse that's preventing him from releasing a successful and timely western localization.
Oh I didn't notice that steamdb entry being over seven months old. Someone already asked about it in the comments to his most recent blog post where he mentions Grace's English release and he said that the publisher will be announced "soon" which could be a contract thing, so yeah, it may be the case that some unrelated publisher could be working on it. To be honest though I don't feel like digging through a bunch of old blog posts to see if he ever mentioned BokiBoki picking it up.

Apr 7, 2019

I've loved your translation so far. And I don't have any confidence that this other translation group can top it. Even Kagura would be given a run for their money with your level of quality. So I vote that you continue with Grace until it's finished. After that, I would obviously want the dev's next game because I love their work, but translating another Grace sized game right after this one is a burnout waiting to happen. So I would advise going for other stuff that you feel more passionately about next instead. Of course, this isn't my decision in the slightest, so you do you.

TL;DR I vote complete Grace>translate smaller games>maybe come back for the next one, but beware of burnout.

Jun 18, 2019
I completely agree, it's of course entirely up to you: It's most important what's the most interesting for you. If I could vote for it, I'd love to see you continue translating Grace, the translation is a blast and even Kagura (the best option for an official translation) isn't even close to your awesome writing level.

Void_glare

Apr 25, 2022

I completely respect whatever decision you make. That said your translation has been incredible, better than most official translations by a wide margin in my opinion. Please do what you feel is best for you, and if you feel like coming back to this project later on you can count me as one of the many people who will be happy to hear it.

Reactions: Spuul and arg03

Jul 19, 2020
Oh I didn't notice that steamdb entry being over seven months old. Someone already asked about it in the comments to his most recent blog post where he mentions Grace's English release and he said that the publisher will be announced "soon" which could be a contract thing, so yeah, it may be the case that some unrelated publisher could be working on it. To be honest though I don't feel like digging through a bunch of old blog posts to see if he ever mentioned BokiBoki picking it up.
The first mention of BokiBoki in relation to Grace that I have seen was in August of last year.

Reactions: Spuul
3.90 star(s) 29 Votes