whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
Then again, its bad.
Yeah, it's a joke about idiots. It's not exactly trying to be highbrow. :ROFLMAO:
The fact that it's symbolic of what real tech support staff used to deal with, makes it even worse.
That type of question was pretty common for IT helpdesks, in the mid-late 90's.
Things like that are why PEBCAK exists as a term.

PBS666

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2019
Yeah, it's a joke about idiots. It's not exactly trying to be highbrow. :ROFLMAO:
The fact that it's symbolic of what real tech support staff used to deal with, makes it even worse.
That type of question was pretty common for IT helpdesks, in the mid-late 90's.
Things like that are why PEBCAK exists as a term.
Tell me about it! I used to do IT troubleshooting until a decade ago.
"You will replace my monitor ? What about my data ?" And no, it wasn't an all-in-one.
"I can't print" Me after turning the printer on: "Now you can."

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
Tell me about it! I used to do IT troubleshooting until a decade ago.
"You will replace my monitor ? What about my data ?" And no, it wasn't an all-in-one.
"I can't print" Me after turning the printer on: "Now you can."
Ha ha ha, that "can't print" one reminds me so much of the guy. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

lol IBM (Idiot Behind Machine) error, PICNIC (Problem In Chair Not In Computer), etc. :ROFLMAO:
1692641565219.gif
id10t.jpg
They all exist, for good reason!

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
Right. Used to deal with.
General ignorance and stupidity clearly has not gone away.
If anything, it's increased dramatically. Despite having much more information freely available.
Take a look through any thread on this site & you'll find countless examples of PEBCAK.

Used to be isolated, "Oh, look, a village idiot. Just ignore the dumbass."
Now there's a self-validating global community that gets upset when you don't spoon feed them.

Last edited:
Reactions: HornyyPussy

RDFozz

Apr 1, 2022
I am old enough to know that "print" originally meant, "send the query to the SCREEN so the human can READ it."
Screen. Right.
Really old systems didn't have screens. The console data was printed on paper (or, even before my time, might be dumped to punch cards; don't really know, since it was before my time).

Reactions: WigglyWorld84

yltohawk

Mar 19, 2019
Screen. Right.
Really old systems didn't have screens. The console data was printed on paper (or, even before my time, might be dumped to punch cards; don't really know, since it was before my time).
That was Basic, or ASCI.

RDFozz

Apr 1, 2022
Is there a difference. I don't see a distinction.
Assuming this is in reply to my comment:

What we call public schools in the US are the default schools most kids attend, that neither cost tuition nor require some sort of voucher.

My understanding is that, in England, a public school is one that does charge tuition.

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
Screen. Right.
lol Yeah, first computer screen was '71. 26 years after first computer, ENIAC ('45).
Funnily enough, 1st screen came out same time as 1st PC.

But there was no such thing as a helpdesk, back then. :ROFLMAO:
My understanding is that, in England, a public school is one that does charge tuition.
Quite correct. There's a distinct difference. (y)
That was Basic, or ASCI.
You mean ASCII?
FORTRAN was around before them, but yeah, they all existed before computer screens.

RDFozz

Apr 1, 2022
That was Basic, or ASCI.
Basic is and was a programming language.
ASCII is the codes that describe a specific character set.

Back in the mid-1980s, the system I worked on did have monitors; however, it also had an actual console. You could view what happened on a monitor, but it came out live on what sort of looked like a typewriter embedded in a desk:
Decwriter.jpg

S1nsational

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
Obviously those of the Magnificat Seven who haven't already moved in, eventual will, but I wonder who else if anyone will we be able to live with as the game progresses. If it'll ever happen it'll not be for ages, because it'll have to be after the core seven have all moved in.

Satou Pendragon

Engaged Member
Jan 24, 2018
lol when PC processing power was measured in k & 16 was a lot! :LOL::ROFLMAO:
No-one had heard of a megabyte, never mind a gig!
You couldn't even dream of terabyte or even petabytte :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Obviously those of the Magnificat Seven who haven't already moved in, eventual will, but I wonder who else if anyone will we be able to live with as the game progresses. If it'll ever happen it'll not be for ages, because it'll have to be after the core seven have all moved in.
For those who are on her Path I believe Tanya will move in with them.

yltohawk

Mar 19, 2019
My first introduction into Computing was an IBM 8088 10 mb HD and 5 1/4 in floppy's with 64k ram. at the time it was pretty advanced.

3.80 star(s) 286 Votes